Children with Epilepsy Support Group

Hi Blizzbless

What medication your child is using? My child is just put on epilim.Everyday he has a few mini seizures and sometime longer one. How do you cope or take care of your child ? Has the medication helps to control the seizure?

My son is under tegretol. Im a sahm. my son is 33 mths old already n already fits free for 2 yrs.. He is also goin cc for half day now

I forgot the name.. But he is stil under med but I reduce it without doc knowledge. Who taking care of ur child. How old?

He is 40 mths old now and placed in childcare.I heard if the child is on medication and seizure free for 2 years can stop the medication.You can check with your doctor.

If either you or your spouse have epilepsy (not inherited since small eg only has it at 30 years old), are the chances of being pass down to your kids high?

Vivienwsw, I think is nt high but I know some, even parents don have but child has it.. it might b grandparents or great grandparents.
but the doc say the brain is very complicated. thr is no answer to it, y the child has it..

Hi

My child is still have breakthrough seizures even though he is currently on medication everyday. Whenever he has flu or fatigue it will trigger seizures.

Hi everyone. I am new to this topic. My son is diagnosed with epilepsy in dec 13 when he was 5 years old after the EEG test.

His first seizure happened on 9th Oct 2013 lasted abt 5mins. It happened in childcare and I didn't get to see it. I carried this faith that he will be fine after this. Unfortunately his 2nd seizure on Chinese New Year eve 30th Jan 2014 also in childcare. This seizure is for 1-2mins.

On both incidents, it happened when he was having out door games with his friends. I have since told his teachers to bar him from outdoor activities. So far he has not made any complaint to me abt this. Either he is accepting it or his teachers is still letting him go outdoor.

I have brought forward my neurologist appt with Dr Lim in Kk hospital to discuss if treatment is needed for him. As per my understanding treatment should start after 2nd seizure.

My main concern is should I be starting him on the treatment knowing the side effects it will have. Bit if no treatment means he might get more seizure in future.. Which will not be good for his brain.
Can anyone advise me?

Hi sereneoh,

It will be good to consult the doctor to see what is best for your kid.
To me, stopping the seizure is the most important.
Medication may or may not have side effect on your kid, it depends on each individual.
Although I also have my concern over the side effect of the medication, we just got to pray that it bring hope rather than harm to our kid eventually.
On the safe side, during the course of medication, just keep monitoring and feedback if any to the doctor on your child responses.

I want to tell everyone about a common type of childhood epilepsy that doesn't need medication - it usually starts about 3-5 years old, stops a few years later, and the usual characteristic is that the child vomits a little during or just before the episode (emesis). Its called Panayiotopoulos Syndrome (google it) and its worth checking to see if your paed neurologist is familiar with it. There's a book about the condition - "Panayiotopoulos Syndrome: A Common and Benign Childhood Epileptic Syndrome". Regular medication is not required because it is self limiting. The only medication required is to stop the convulsion if it goes on too long (rectal diazepam or buccal midazolam). Hope this is helpful to someone!

hello!

I'm a mother of 3 lovely kids... recently my eldest, 6yo, has been dignoised with absence siezure. she just started the Epilim medication recently.. I started being a SAHM this year. am sad that my girl has this dignosis. trying to find out if there are any other parents here with kids of this type of issue? i read that there is a siezure care support group in singapore. anyone joined?

TIA.

Hi bibibear,

The prognosis for absence seizures is quite good. Do take heart. With medications and no more seizures, the medication can be slowly weaned off by the doctor. Do not attempt to remove the medication yourself. Sudden withdrawal of epileptic medications (aka anti-convulsants) can lead to seizures.

There is another thread on seizures. Do read up some case studies. The frequency of seizures is 1 in 200 i think. So if you know 200 people, you will know 1 with seizures. No one likes to talk about seizures and seizures don't happen all the time in front of people.

Hi.. i am frustructed now. My son having epilepsy. As i mentioned to primary school leader, they request us to furnish the following:
1. Authorisation letter from parent to authorise them to do the necessary action.
2. Letter from doctor to stare clearly of the step by step first aid measure.
3. Training giving to teacher in school by hospital.
For the no. 1, i can understand.
No. 2, to get a letter from doctor on the step by step to handle the epilepsy. Do you think that we can get it from them especially my son is under subsidise and the doctor in charge always change.
3. Training for teachers, who should i look for??? MOH? KKH?
Will they will entertaiment?
Anyone facing the problem as i mention above which required by primary school... please advise
Thank you.

Hi ivyang7779,

For 2. You can get a list of actions from the doctor or hospital stating the first aid measure. Which hospital doctor is he seeing?

3. Your son is in primary school? For my son, I kept the rectal diazepam in the school fridge and no one is allowed to touch it. But the medication is for me to administer the drug should I be around. Otherwise, the protocol is to call ambulance if the seizures do not stop by 5 minutes. Something like that.

If the school needs to administer the drug, and you allow them to, probably the letter of authorisation from them will allow them to do so without dispute. This is to cover them in event of dispute.

If the school needs to administer, you can call up the hospital and check if there is such a service provided to the school teachers. I know that for some schools, they have trained teachers to do that. My son's teacher in his previous school was trained.

Hi to all mothers

I am glad to find out about this support group. Sincerely wish anyone can help to share your experience with me.
As I am worry for my son. My son had his first fits attack very late, at age of 7 years old. It it normal? As most children had their first time at much younger age.

It happened when he was asleep. Luckily my husband was not sleeping at that time. My son eyes rolled up & 1 of his arm & leg were jerking. He could not response to us. We were terrified & called ambulance. He stayed in KK for 1 night. The second & last time happened 3 months after the first attack, also during his sleep.

Pls advise.
As he is getting older, we need to let him learn to sleep alone in another room. But we are really worry. What if it happens again when me & my husband are asleep? We would not able to help him when it happens. Pls share your experience with me. Thank you very much.

Hi Huong, did your son see a doctor after the second attack? At KKH?

What did the doctor say? What type of epilepsy is this? Any medication needed? Did doctor run EEG?

During this monitoring stage, maybe one of you or both of you should sleep with him. When his condition stabilises, you can let him sleep alone - maybe not now.

My elder son also had his first seizures at 7.5 years old.

Hi Ikkoh

Thank you so much for your response. My son went thru EEG scan at KKH, doctor said recurrence is quite likely. We will monitor him for the next few months, before considering medication.

How's your son's condition now? Is he sleeping on his own in another room?
Can you share your experience, when everyone is asleep, how to attend to a child when there is a seizure attack? I am worried as I have no clue how to help my son if he is sleeping alone in another room.

Thank you.

Hi Huong,

My son is ok now (touchwood). It has been quite many years liao. You can read my entries in the other thread:
http://singaporemotherhood.com/forum/threads/any-mummies-whose-child-has-epilepsy.3324/

It took us quite a long time to get here. And yes, he is sleeping in another room with his younger brother. Both share a room.

Actually I don't have experience attending to a child with seizure at home. I guess, if you notice the seizure and its more than 5 minutes, just use the rectal diazepam and see if the seizure stops. Same as what the doctor instructs. If still got seizure, then go hospital.

Best if someone sleeps with your son at the moment since you all are monitoring him. Also, sometimes during a seizure, there is incontinuence. Means that the child may urinate during the seizure. If there is urine when usually there is none, perhaps a seizure has occurred. But it's hard to catch even if you all sleep with him. Some children will make some noise or some kind of sound when they are having seizure so this can also be a clue.

Let me know if I have answered your question.

Hi Ikkoh

Glad to hear that your son is ok. I read your thread, wow, it happened 8 years ago. I suppose after a few years, the condition
will become much better or even stop. Hope it will not happen again to my son.

Thanks for your advise. I suppose we can only monitor/assist him when we are awake.

Hope seizure attack will subside after a few minutes & it will not cause danger to a child.

Hi Huong,

Do take care. In any case, if you have doubts, do clarify them especially with the doctor.

Lay Koon

Hi Lay Koon,

I have read a post that you recommended a vegetable and fruit supplement for children with epilepsy. Can you please share with me where I can buy this supplement? Can I have your email to drop you a note? Otherwise you can email the details to [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of twin both diagnosed with febrile fits when they were 7 mths and now became epilepsy. I have tried TCM, Tui na and Acupuncture together with western medicine for the past 10 years. For the initial 7-8 years things were not that bad, their occurrence of the seizure was once every few mths and there are hope for them to be outgrown from the seizure. Unfortunately, for the past 2 years the pattern changed. The occurrence was once every 2 mths and now it became almost every month or less than a month for both. The worst thing now is they cannot get over excited or their heartbeat cannot be too fast especially if they run too fast, it will trigger. Both the conditions are the same. They are on follow up with KKH. Read from the post that NUH doctors are good and I'm thinking should I change.

Hope can get some advice. Will be happy to try any TCM that has proven to be good too.

Thanks
Worried mum

Hi all, I have had epilepsy since young and I'm almost 30 now. Actually there is no cure for epilepsy. Children just outgrown it if they do. For me, I never did. Still taking medication daily but it doesn't affect my life as long as medication is taken.

Hi CTTC, can I know if there is improvement after taking the medication and any occurrence? And after so many years of medi, they don't seems to improve instead the frequency increased.

Hi CTTC, can I know if there is improvement after taking the medication and any occurrence? And after so many years of medi, they don't seems to improve instead the frequency increased.
There is no improvement. The medication is only to suppress and prevent relapses. Frequency shouldn't increase. If increase means either dosage or type of medication not suitable? Maybe can do a scan to check brain waves of you may want to seek second opinion if frequency increases!

Hi Lay Koon,

I have read a post that you recommended a vegetable and fruit supplement for children with epilepsy. Can you please share with me where I can buy this supplement? Can I have your email to drop you a note? Otherwise you can email the details to [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of twin both diagnosed with febrile fits when they were 7 mths and now became epilepsy. I have tried TCM, Tui na and Acupuncture together with western medicine for the past 10 years. For the initial 7-8 years things were not that bad, their occurrence of the seizure was once every few mths and there are hope for them to be outgrown from the seizure. Unfortunately, for the past 2 years the pattern changed. The occurrence was once every 2 mths and now it became almost every month or less than a month for both. The worst thing now is they cannot get over excited or their heartbeat cannot be too fast especially if they run too fast, it will trigger. Both the conditions are the same. They are on follow up with KKH. Read from the post that NUH doctors are good and I'm thinking should I change.

Hope can get some advice. Will be happy to try any TCM that has proven to be good too.

Thanks
Worried mum

How old are your twins now? I give my boy supplements from Eexcel International. They are fruits and vegetables concentrate and organic too. Helps him a lot cos it boosts him immune system a lot. Can you email me at [email protected]? I can pass you the information and you can see if the products are suitable.

And I ran the ingredients through the doctor before giving to my boy. Since they are all fruits and vegetables, doctor said there is no harm with consumption in parallel with the epileptic medicine.

We are lucky cos a mum with an epileptic boy, similar in condition to my boy's, recommended the products to me and in a twist of fate, a neighbour of my sis il gave me a box of supplements from the same company. That's how I know where to buy the supplements. And the epileptic boy also recovered like my boy.

dear all,
i posted my first question about epilepsy in year 2009. that was when my girl had gone through refractive epilepsy for 3 years and was kind of lost not sure what to do, besides follow up visits and medication from the hospital. Time flies...

Would like to share my expereience here with parents.

My girl was diagnosed with epilepsy at age of 3, since then she was on all types of medication her neurologist recommended, trying to see which succeed in controlling her seizures. She got at least a seizure daily once, mild ones. Though mild ones it seems, through the years, it affected her brain development and she was struggling with her academic, having huge difficulty in coping questions that require analysis and thinking.

We had tried almost all medication available in the market and yet none was able to control or stop her seizures. We were recommended ketongenic diet, but did not take it up, not easy to have full control on this diet.

Just last year, 10th year into her epilepsy, we bit the bullet and decided to go ahead with a surgery for her. The scans and reports all showed the same position of where the part of her brain is giving out the problem/sparks, her frontal brain. It was a big struggle to say yes to it, for we worried that the surgery will affect her memory, behavioural or whatever unknown. Finally we went for it, and now is almost a year from her surgery. We are blessed that everything went smoothly and she is doing fine now. No episodes of seizures after that (touchwood) and she is a happy teenager now, no need to feel inferior anymore, worrying when her seizure will strike in front of her classmates or relatives. And she is coping well with her studies now.

Currently, we are still monitoring and follow up on her case with the hospital.

Last edited:
Hi all!
My son is going to b 9 in August he had his first seizure this year at 22 nd Feb4.45am ,2nd one at 3am 3rd May.
Just wanted to know what shud my nxt step be.The first time mri n eeg and 1hr eeg came out normal.We are consulting Dr.Phuah at Paragon.
Thanks in advance.

dear all,
i posted my first question about epilepsy in year 2009. that was when my girl had gone through refractive epilepsy for 3 years and was kind of lost not sure what to do, besides follow up visits and medication from the hospital. Time flies...

Would like to share my expereience here with parents.

My girl was diagnosed with epilepsy at age of 3, since then she was on all types of medication her neurologist recommended, trying to see which succeed in controlling her seizures. She got at least a seizure daily once, mild ones. Though mild ones it seems, through the years, it affected her brain development and she was struggling with her academic, having huge difficulty in coping questions that require analysis and thinking.

We had tried almost all medication available in the market and yet none was able to control or stop her seizures. We were recommended ketongenic diet, but did not take it up, not easy to have full control on this diet.

Just last year, 10th year into her epilepsy, we bit the bullet and decided to go ahead with a surgery for her. The scans and reports all showed the same position of where the part of her brain is giving out the problem/sparks, her frontal brain. It was a big struggle to say yes to it, for we worried that the surgery will affect her memory, behavioural or whatever unknown. Finally we went for it, and now is almost a year from her surgery. We are blessed that everything went smoothly and she is doing fine now. No episodes of seizures after that (touchwood) and she is a happy teenager now, no need to feel inferior anymore, worrying when her seizure will strike in front of her classmates or relatives. And she is coping well with her studies now.

Currently, we are still monitoring and follow up on her case with the hospital.

Hi Nate
Hi Natellechim,

Really glad to hear your daughter is doing well.What is refractive epilepsy?
I would like to do investigations for my 8 yr old son to find the cause of his seizures.Otherwise he is a NT intelligent boy doing well at school.
Can you guide me as to what investigations should I run to find the cause of his seizure which are has occurred twice in the early morning while sleeping.
We are currently under Dr.Phuah.
Tia

Hi Nate

Hi Natellechim,

Really glad to hear your daughter is doing well.What is refractive epilepsy?
I would like to do investigations for my 8 yr old son to find the cause of his seizures.Otherwise he is a NT intelligent boy doing well at school.
Can you guide me as to what investigations should I run to find the cause of his seizure which are has occurred twice in the early morning while sleeping.
We are currently under Dr.Phuah.
Tia

Hi Tunula
Sorry for late reply. Refractory epilepsy refers to seizures that are not controlled with seizure medications. Other words could be uncontrollable, drug resistant. Thus we had tried almost all medication the hospital can find but she still having seizures daily, in middle of sleeps or when just woke up. The seizures are affecting her brain development and thus affecting her academically. She was also in NT stream earlier.

My girl was under KKH subsidized. Was with Dr Lim (Papa Lim the hospital used to call him). After he retired, my girl case was taken over by Dr Derrick Chan.

We had gone through EEG, CT and MRI scans during the years. From these test, somehow find that the cause of seizure is on her right frontal area, too medical/technical I not too sure how to describe.

Eventually after 10yrs of 'medication', we gave thought to surgery. Prior to that, again need to do various scans and test to confirm and all tests and scans directed the same location making her a good candidate for operation.

She is now learning better and even happier without inferior feelings about when her seizure will trigger in front of her peers.

Thanks for replying Natellechim.Dr.Phuah asked us to wait n watch again.We went to a neuro surgeon dr.Prem Pillai he recommended a Pet mri.
Also I have read from various groups that essential oils esp Frankinscence is really good for seizures any thoughts on that.

Thanks for replying Natellechim.Dr.Phuah asked us to wait n watch again.We went to a neuro surgeon dr.Prem Pillai he recommended a Pet mri.
Also I have read from various groups that essential oils esp Frankinscence is really good for seizures any thoughts on that.

Yes we waited, trial and error in medications for 10yrs. When we decided to consider surgery then we went for the PET MRI because the cost is not cheap. PET MRI gives a good information on which area is really triggering the seizure. The child will be lethargic or drowsy after the scan due to the medication they injected into her for the scan, but the medication will wear off in 1-2 days. From this PET MRI it maps same location with the EEG and MRI scans done quite sometimes back. Thus a good candidate for her to go for ops. After which we also did a functional MRI Scan to determine she is right or left domineering brain controlled, for information purposes only. She also went through pre-ops psychology assessment and pre-ops occupational physiology assessment. After ops will do again to see any variance on her.

I have not used Frankincense oil. Maybe the child might not like the smell? Doctor did recommend the ketogenic diet or surgery options during the years but we didn't go for them that time.

Had tried himalaya salt but no effect on her, she continued to have seizures daily. However her seizure is not those severe types but doctor said each seizure is affecting her brain functioning and development. Through those years her analysing and comprehensive skill were not well developed, making her struggling a lot in her studies esp math problem sums and language comprehension, even understanding verbal conversation.

Seizures went more frequent and severe through the years especially during her psle year, could be puberty stage too. That triggered us to give surgery a serious thought. We were worried too because the lesion was in her frontal lobe, removing it might affect functional skills, emotional and many more because the brain is so complex you will not know which part of the body will be affected after some part of brain is being removed. The more I read the more worried I got.

I did go to Dr Phua for a 2nd opinion prior to the decision for surgery. I also intended to look for neuro-surgeon, Dr Keith Goh, for 2nd opinion, but he was out of town during that period.

My girl was able to go home 5th day after the ops. After the ops, both me and hubby had the same thought of 'we should have done it few years earlier'. However that time we were uncertain and skeptical about surgery for it is dealing with operating the brain, who would dare to take that risk. And also we have yet tried all medication out there that time.

Now she is still under observation and maybe need another year to clear. Hope she can be cleared soon.

I wish a good solution and help is there soon for you child. Take care dear.

Last edited:
Yes we waited, trial and error in medications for 10yrs. When we decided to consider surgery then we went for the PET MRI because the cost is not cheap. PET MRI gives a good information on which area is really triggering the seizure. The child will be lethargic or drowsy after the scan due to the medication they injected into her for the scan, but the medication will wear off in 1-2 days. From this PET MRI it maps same location with the EEG and MRI scans done quite sometimes back. Thus a good candidate for her to go for ops. After which we also did a functional MRI Scan to determine she is right or left domineering brain controlled, for information purposes only. She also went through pre-ops psychology assessment and pre-ops occupational physiology assessment. After ops will do again to see any variance on her.

I have not used Frankincense oil. Maybe the child might not like the smell? Doctor did recommend the ketogenic diet or surgery options during the years but we didn't go for them that time.

Had tried himalaya salt but no effect on her, she continued to have seizures daily. However her seizure is not those severe types but doctor said each seizure is affecting her brain functioning and development. Through those years her analysing and comprehensive skill were not well developed, making her struggling a lot in her studies esp math problem sums and language comprehension, even understanding verbal conversation.

Seizures went more frequent and severe through the years especially during her psle year, could be puberty stage too. That triggered us to give surgery a serious thought. We were worried too because the lesion was in her frontal lobe, removing it might affect functional skills, emotional and many more because the brain is so complex you will not know which part of the body will be affected after some part of brain is being removed. The more I read the more worried I got.

I did go to Dr Phua for a 2nd opinion prior to the decision for surgery. I also intended to look for neuro-surgeon, Dr Keith Goh, for 2nd opinion, but he was out of town during that period.

My girl was able to go home 5th day after the ops. After the ops, both me and hubby had the same thought of 'we should have done it few years earlier'. However that time we were uncertain and skeptical about surgery for it is dealing with operating the brain, who would dare to take that risk. And also we have yet tried all medication out there that time.

Now she is still under observation and maybe need another year to clear. Hope she can be cleared soon.

I wish a good solution and help is there soon for you child. Take care dear.

Thank you for such a detailed reply .Yes I m just waiting n watching.He is not on medicine yet.
I went to Dr.Tan Nam Guan bcoz his mri showed sinus infection the 2nd time round when he had a seizure he had a bad sinus infection too.
Acc to Dr.Guan sinus infection could be one of the triggers but its really hard to believe that theory.
Just praying hard and hoping to find the right direction to treating it.
Thanks n prayers n good wishes to you princess too.

Thank you for such a detailed reply .Yes I m just waiting n watching.He is not on medicine yet.
I went to Dr.Tan Nam Guan bcoz his mri showed sinus infection the 2nd time round when he had a seizure he had a bad sinus infection too.
Acc to Dr.Guan sinus infection could be one of the triggers but its really hard to believe that theory.

You are most welcome. I just hope to share my experience for more awareness to any parents out there who might need information and encouragement.

I am glad to know your child need not be on medication. Cheers!

How are things? I should have checked this thread more often.

Just want to comment on sinus infection being one of the triggers of seizure. Usually during a illness, the seizure threshold will drop. So seizures are more likely to happen to someone who is sick. This is what I know.

How are things? I should have checked this thread more often.

Just want to comment on sinus infection being one of the triggers of seizure. Usually during a illness, the seizure threshold will drop. So seizures are more likely to happen to someone who is sick. This is what I know.
Right now he is on keppra 800ml, Is it true that those who have tonic clonic froth in the mouth will remain epileptic throughout their lives?

I need some help

My 17 year old girl is diagnosed with epilepsy seizure on 8 Aug and on keppra 250mg twice per day. Everything seem fine until 5Oct .
5 Oct , she had a fits. At first we thought it is a insolate case, but no. She continue to experience fits once every week
Fr 5Oct to 28 Nov 18, ecperexperi total of 9fits.

We brought her to KTPH A&E Everytime, and the dosage keep increasing.
Only manage to see the neurologist when she is warded on 30Oct and the dosage of keppra is increased to the max of 1500mg twice per day.

28Oct we brought her to A&E again because of the fits. The doctor said fits is like this and it occurs anytime .
Next appointment with the consellor is on 13Dec 18. They are reluntant to bring forward.

For them, having fits every week is not a big deal.
But as parent, we keep we can have more days of seizure free.
Otherwise what is the purpose of seeing neurologist and taking medication.

Any one with the same experience?

We also like to seek opinion from a second source.
Anyone can recommend a experience neurpneurol to us?

Hope to hear reply ASAP.

I need some help

My 17 year old girl is diagnosed with epilepsy seizure on 8 Aug and on keppra 250mg twice per day. Everything seem fine until 5Oct .
5 Oct , she had a fits. At first we thought it is a insolate case, but no. She continue to experience fits once every week

Only manage to see the neurologist when she is warded on 30Oct and the dosage of keppra is increased to the max of 1500mg twice per day.

28Oct we brought her to A&E again because of the fits. The doctor said fits is like this and it occurs anytime .
Next appointment with the consellor is on 13Dec 18. They are reluntant to bring forward.

Hope to hear reply ASAP.

I need some help

Hope to hear reply ASAP.

I need some help

Hope to hear reply ASAP.

How's her condition now? I can recommend a neuro pd. A/Prof Ong Hian Tat at NUH.
You can pm me too or email me at [email protected]

How's her condition now? I can recommend a neuro pd. A/Prof Ong Hian Tat at NUH.
You can pm me too or email me at [email protected]
Hi! My boy was on keppra 400 mg for 21months no seizures suddenly outbof the blue two noctural seizures the doctor says because the dosage too low for his weight and increased to 500mg.Is there anyway I can connect with you moms to discuss what to do next because I need answrrs which the docs arnt giving.

Back