Sureen

I am a Nanyang Polytechnic Student from School of Business Management. I am here regarding a project and I want to hear your voice on this matter.

For those of you who do not know, there are rules in place by both public bus operators, SBS Transit and SMRT, which requires strollers and prams to be folded up aboard the bus due to safety concerns. SBS Transit reasons that “opened prams can pose as safety hazards to both the child within and fellow passengers around as they can be thrown forward” while SMRT states that strollers and prams need to be folded so that “they do not block the bus aisle”. The reasoning is logical, however it increases the hassle parents face when taking Public transport.

While this may seem like a trivial issue to some people, having to deal with this annoying issue on a daily basis is definitely reason enough to ruffle a few feathers. The thought of having to juggle a heavy stroller full of baby necessities and groceries as well as a screaming baby on board a crowded and moving bus full of disapproving passengers is certainly reason enough to justify many of these parent’s complaints.

To avoid all of this mess, most parents look for other alternatives. If the family has a car, everything can be solved by having a baby seat in the car. However for those family who do not own a car, they usually take Taxis, Uber or Grabcar. These options do not come with baby seats and so on. By taking taxi services, it further increases the cost of raising a child in Singapore.

I am hoping to find a solution for all parents so that raising a child can be less of an hassle and enjoyable. I would greatly appreciate your opinions and views on this topic.

Back