job finding during trying to conceive

yuiyui

Hi Dears

May I know do you all still look for job when trying to conceive?
For me i am afraid to look for job as will not know when will get pregnant. It is risky too if get pregnant during probation.

another question, do ladies have problem finding job when you have no kid yet. I realized that i went for many interviews but i was not shortlisted. Not sure is it they are afraid we might get pregnant and claim maternity leave. Compare to having a kid, it is easier to look for job compare to no kid yet?

Hellos Fel C! Same sentiments.

Almost all of the job interviewers asked me about my family planning - I somehow find it is unrelated to my ability to perform the job but at the same time I understand where they are coming from - from the employers' perspective, they definitely do not wish to get someone onboard then keep absent from work or even go for maternity leave.

I am currently not working and I thought it would be better since TTC is really a tough and stressful journey. However, recently I find that it would be better to keep myself occupy or else I will be too free to think a lot which ultimately make myself very depress.

@tinklebbdust May I know do you manage ur finance without a job? i am worrying too. I feel so disappointed with singapore. Very bias towards married woman

I have been shaking legs at home for slightly longer than a year.
Initially wanted to take a break and rest for TTC purpose but I find myself always thinking negatively when I am free :(

I hardly spend on luxury nowadays, kind of low maintenance, hahaha, but sometime can spend quite a bit.

lets say even if you get pregnant during your probation period, u will still be entitled to your maternity leave once you give birth. for check up wise, you can arrange for saturdays first if the new job doesn't allow you to take leave during probation.

i have 1 colleague who informed that she's pregnant on her first day of work. it wasn't planned tho... but we are okay with it (i'm from HR btw).

and i don't think that married ladies without kids have a harder time finding a job. i personally have went for interviews and also interviewed people and have never come across any discrimination to married ladies without kids. so cheer up! no one is against us :)

p/s: i also changed my job few months back and i'm TTC-ing :)

Hellos Fel C! Same sentiments.

Almost all of the job interviewers asked me about my family planning - I somehow find it is unrelated to my ability to perform the job but at the same time I understand where they are coming from - from the employers' perspective, they definitely do not wish to get someone onboard then keep absent from work or even go for maternity leave.

I am currently not working and I thought it would be better since TTC is really a tough and stressful journey. However, recently I find that it would be better to keep myself occupy or else I will be too free to think a lot which ultimately make myself very depress.
This is discriminatory interview questions and you can report the firm and the interview, in confidence, to MOM. We are not allowed to ask such questions.

lets say even if you get pregnant during your probation period, u will still be entitled to your maternity leave once you give birth. for check up wise, you can arrange for saturdays first if the new job doesn't allow you to take leave during probation.

i have 1 colleague who informed that she's pregnant on her first day of work. it wasn't planned tho... but we are okay with it (i'm from HR btw).

and i don't think that married ladies without kids have a harder time finding a job. i personally have went for interviews and also interviewed people and have never come across any discrimination to married ladies without kids. so cheer up! no one is against us :)

p/s: i also changed my job few months back and i'm TTC-ing :)
Yes, as long as you have worked for 180 days before your confinement, you are entitled to your maternity leave. We have hired a 6 months pregnant lady before. I'm in HR too :)

Yes, as long as you have worked for 180 days before your confinement, you are entitled to your maternity leave. We have hired a 6 months pregnant lady before. I'm in HR too :)

yeah! hope @Fel C will have more confidence in our workforce :) & don't be too stressed up too! since you're TTC-ing now, the last thing that you would want to go through is stress!

Hi same here... im currently unemployed and thinking to rest while ttc.. have been ttc for more than 1yr.. failed 1 time in iui.. wanted to try naturally.. if this time fails again might consider to do another round of iui. Haix.
Everything need money.
No no work more worrying on husband.. like i hv become his burden..

Same as u all. Will kept on thinkin neg things if ntg to do.. so try to mk ourselves occupy at hme..

I understand the dilemma of searching for job while ttc. I was at the stage before getting pregnant too. Stopped working for half a year to ttc cause I thought it was work stress that is affecting. But I got to realise it's even worse mentally for me because I think alot and get paranoid easily at home doing nothing. So I went out to work again. Only stopped working completely after I got pregnant when the 1st trimester was hell for me.

I understand the dilemma of searching for job while ttc. I was at the stage before getting pregnant too. Stopped working for half a year to ttc cause I thought it was work stress that is affecting. But I got to realise it's even worse mentally for me because I think alot and get paranoid easily at home doing nothing. So I went out to work again. Only stopped working completely after I got pregnant when the 1st trimester was hell for me.
How did u managed ur finance back then?
How old is ur child?
I have stopped thinking bit by bit..
Jus tell myself takin a good break after working for so many years..
And to be happy so that able to conceive..

How did u managed ur finance back then?
How old is ur child?
I have stopped thinking bit by bit..
Jus tell myself takin a good break after working for so many years..
And to be happy so that able to conceive..

Both me and my husband are not the outgoing type, we never liked going for movies, restaurant dinners, chill night outs and shoppings so actually financial wise we were quite stable all along. It's just less savings from my side because we mostly live on his earnings while both of us are working.

My baby boy is 8 weeks old now, it's a hell lot to get use especially he gets cranky easily.

I think to keep yourself happy is really important. Of course wont tell you to totally don't think about it cause it's impossible! When I was ttc-ing my colleagues all took my stress of ttc very lightly saying "the more stressful you are the more difficult it gets" And I really didn't like hearing that! Haha!

But! I tried for a year plus and there wasn't any results, just when we weren't so tied up about having kids, we went for a holiday in Japan (I love that country so much! :p ) we hit the jackpot on the first night there!

So..... I guess feeling happy, keeping your emotions in check is really pretty important! Jiayou! And good luck!! :)

I find that its always easier to conceive when on a holiday. I had a MC on the 1st one and went on another holiday 5mths later and got it again. Hopefully this time round everything will be okay.

Its hard to find jobs when they ask how long you been married for, child planning etc. We tried over a year and was almost giving up and feeling a bit "bo chup" (not bothered) then we hit the jackpot.

We don't go out a lot so we save quite a bit of money there. Just limit everything at the moment.

Don't take it too hard and pressure yourself.
Yes we may lose out on the paid maternity leaves but its okay when we got a healthy happy baby yes?

Be on folic acid before preggie is good. Buy from guardian pharmacy. One packet $3.

Good luck!

Hi same here... im currently unemployed and thinking to rest while ttc.. have been ttc for more than 1yr.. failed 1 time in iui.. wanted to try naturally.. if this time fails again might consider to do another round of iui. Haix.
Everything need money.
No no work more worrying on husband.. like i hv become his burden..

Same as u all. Will kept on thinkin neg things if ntg to do.. so try to mk ourselves occupy at hme..
I have been trying to conceive and have taken a break coz was on clomid and I became so emotional . Also stress Abt money since hubby is the only one working. Can be depressing staying at home

I was looking for a job while I am trying. I even told them I am doing family planning but not successful might go do IUI. They say ok

Then I got pregnant after 2 months I started work I told them the truth they say confirmed me. But my company set up in small only the other account staff know my work so she is the one to need to cover for me on maternity leave.

She started to make things difficult for me. Don't guide me anymore. In the end even I fever still need to closing at home. I hang on because don't want to lose the maternity leave but my hubby say forget it mine n baby health more important. So in the end I quit

I thought I was going to TTC at some point and told the boss about it. He said okay. First week into the job, I realised I had conceived. Told him "urm, we have a problem" ... to which his response was only joy and congrats. He told me to figure something out in the next few months so that he won't have to call me during maternity.

I have quitted since sept. I realized that not working really make me whole day anyhow think.
Recently, I went for interview, they did asked me any family planning since I am married without kids. In the end, I am not being selected too. :p
My thinking is I still will go for interviews, if I am recruited, I will still work. If the company is understanding, ivf and iui should not be be a problem. If not, at most need to tender and rest.

Last edited:
I just changed job in jan this yr too while ttc. Encountered difficulties searching for job & discriminatory questions. anyway took a paycut as i wanted a downgrade & less stressful job. Planned on doing ivf but dunno how to tell my boss now..or to even tell. Taking thing one at a time...haiz

I am facing the same situation too... was thinking to look for another job while trying...but if I get pregnant, not sure if they will confirm me anot. Haiz

Back