Same food for son everyday

jayjayqueenie

My mil insistingly says she wish to cook for my son who is now going to be 2.5 years old. She says she is bored at home as she is a retiree. I obliged because my son is the youngest grandchild. He is being doted on the most in the family. But she cooks the same everyday since when my son is 6 months old. I am not sure if I should let it slide because it is just for dinner everyday (my son goes childcare).

The menu is fish and carrot congee.

I told her my son is old enough now. You do not have to specially buy ingredients for him. You can save up the money and my son can eat whatever the family is having. Initially she said ok. But she still did the same. I have expressed it to the family (all in-laws and my own parents' side) that my son can try out other foods because he is already having rice at school. She was determined to prepare rice for my son but then she switched back to congee again.

I have been putting the matter to rest for 2 years now. Had a few friends whipping up dishes for their kids around the same age, making me hope that my mil can do the same. because she said she is bored.

so now i am wondering if i should appreciate it or should i just ask her to stop cooking.

she said she has taken care of my husband's nieces before. not sure if she did the same thing.

i could not ask my husband about it because he will get sensitive and uptight about it. he feels that i am not accepting his mum or his family whenever i try to ask or discuss about them.

U can whip up simple extra dishes for yr son to add in the congee.eg steam salmon or stir fried brocooli so that he has more nutrients .

My mil insistingly says she wish to cook for my son who is now going to be 2.5 years old. She says she is bored at home as she is a retiree. I obliged because my son is the youngest grandchild. He is being doted on the most in the family. But she cooks the same everyday since when my son is 6 months old. I am not sure if I should let it slide because it is just for dinner everyday (my son goes childcare).

The menu is fish and carrot congee.

I told her my son is old enough now. You do not have to specially buy ingredients for him. You can save up the money and my son can eat whatever the family is having. Initially she said ok. But she still did the same. I have expressed it to the family (all in-laws and my own parents' side) that my son can try out other foods because he is already having rice at school. She was determined to prepare rice for my son but then she switched back to congee again.

I have been putting the matter to rest for 2 years now. Had a few friends whipping up dishes for their kids around the same age, making me hope that my mil can do the same. because she said she is bored.

so now i am wondering if i should appreciate it or should i just ask her to stop cooking.

she said she has taken care of my husband's nieces before. not sure if she did the same thing.

i could not ask my husband about it because he will get sensitive and uptight about it. he feels that i am not accepting his mum or his family whenever i try to ask or discuss about them.
Agree with saskia. Are u working? Can maybe prepare extra food like get ready fish and ginger slices or mushrooms on top then ask mil to steam it to go with the porridge. Or weekends can offer to prepare some 1 pot meals so mil can 'off' a bit-To kinda show mil that u want Ur child to eat normal food in another way.

Hi, u can use butternut with high fibre helps with their digestive system. Cod fish or salmon fish can be put into the porridge. Celery is also recommended try to give them more variety so that they won't be too choosy over food when they r older.

I will let it pass.. Actually I m kinda having the same issue with my mum but I gather that the " same old boring " food is better than outside food or having me rushing back home from work to cook. If I want her to try something " new" I will cook it myself on weekends. In a nutshell , I feel that proper nutrition and kids having dinner on time is more importan than variety

I agree with lala. I will let it pass. Fish is good. Just add on to what your mil cooks if you want variety. You can also give a bit of your food to your child and ask him to try.

Back