Any mummies face discrimination while looking for a job being preggie?

Mdm king

I am not even showing yet and I got 2 offers. When I told them I just got to know I am pregnant, they quickly rescinded their offers. So much for fair employment practice in Singapore.
Even the lousy train co that always breaks down asked me to interview for a position I told them about pregnancy the hr quickly tried to put down the phone, promised to chk with the line mgr and get back but never did. It was just for a 6 mths contract and end of contract not even reach my due date.

Last edited:

I am not even showing yet and I got 2 offers. One fm a Pte hospital at orchard another fm a Pte ltd co at MacPherson. When I told them I just got to know I am pregnant, they quickly rescinded their offers. So much for fair employment in Singapore.
Even the lousy train co that always breaks down asked me to interview for a position I told them the truth the hr quickly tried to put down the phone, promised to chk with the line mgr and get back but never did. It was just for a 6 mths contract and end of contract not even reach my due date.
i dont think u are under any obligation to let them know at this juncture?

Too add, I think it is also not uncommon for bosses to make things difficult for the expectant mother when she is pregnant.

Any mom here whose bosses started to "mark" them when they come back from ML though?

i dont think u are under any obligation to let them know at this juncture?

Yes perhaps but even at the interviews I feel obligated to reveal also but I doubt they will be more favourable as well.
I went 2 civil Svc temp jobs interviews, revealed it to hem and also didn't get hired. I would hate for them to ask me to leave once I am halfway through working that job, it would be a horrid feeling.

Feel like writing to their respective head of the org to tell them how skewed their hiring is but my sis told me not to waste time.

Yes perhaps but even at the interviews I feel obligated to reveal also but I doubt they will be more favourable as well.
I went 2 civil Svc temp jobs interviews, revealed it to hem and also didn't get hired. I would hate for them to ask me to leave once I am halfway through working that job, it would be a horrid feeling.

Feel like writing to their respective head of the org to tell them how skewed their hiring is but my sis told me not to waste time.
i'd say dont bother to tell. it's diff to tell a lie vs not telling everything. :) u nv ask, i dont need to tell u also.

over the years i somehow feel that it does not pay to be overly open and upfront. it may work to ur detriment.

i'd say dont bother to tell. it's diff to tell a lie vs not telling everything. :) u nv ask, i dont need to tell u also.

over the years i somehow feel that it does not pay to be overly open and upfront. it may work to ur detriment.
I guess some people just don't deserve to know the truth some more can sound surprised why I am still taking night classes as if preggie can't be capable of doing anything decent.

I think you don't waste your time sending emails to feedback. I supposed to start work in April , and I got pregnant, they retracted the offer immediately. And since then I have been looking for contractual jobs hoping I can find one but most of the companies knows that I am pregnant and they don't even want to consider about me.

I called up to mom, and ask about this, they said if I got pregnant before starting a job, they have the right to withdraw , and if I start work and got pregnant within 3 months , they also have the right to withdraw. But if they accept us, they have to pay 16 weeks of ML cause we stay in the company at least 60-90 days before EDD.

To be honest, most of the companies are very unfair, there is nothing much we can do also.

I am not even showing yet and I got 2 offers. One fm a Pte hospital at orchard another fm a Pte ltd co at MacPherson. When I told them I just got to know I am pregnant, they quickly rescinded their offers. So much for fair employment in Singapore.
Even the lousy train co that always breaks down asked me to interview for a position I told them the truth the hr quickly tried to put down the phone, promised to chk with the line mgr and get back but never did. It was just for a 6 mths contract and end of contract not even reach my due date.

Mdm King- if cannot find any contract job right now, perhaps just wait until you deliver first ... I totally understand how you feel but sometimes health is more important than anything right now. Meantime don't give up on finding as well. Add oil!

Thanks Prayingformiracle I totally feel yr grievance.

Now I am doing survey. It is hardwork but at least I get some money rolling in. U might want to consider doing survey also. If no one can take care of us we need to take care of ourselves. Companies such as BGC are hiring for mom surveys and beacon is hiring for elderly nus survey.

U might like to consider?

Jia you!

I am still doing night classes so I don't want overstretch myself also la. Of course like u I don't mind a part time or temp office job if any mommies can give a helping hand.

Now I am doing survey. It is hardwork but at least I get some money rolling in. U might want to consider doing survey also. If no one can take care of us we need to take care of ourselves. Companies such as BGC are hiring for mom surveys and beacon is hiring for elderly nus survey.

Jia you!

I am still doing night classes so I don't want overstretch myself also la. Of course like u I don't mind a part time or temp office job if any mommies can give a helping hand.

My profession is accounts and finance, so far cannot find any survey jobs as well. Hoping to find a contract job soon. I'm also having a bad morning sickness so far ... I will never stop trying until I reach 20 weeks.

I left my perm job in sep 15 and got pregnant in feb 16. I gave up looking for a perm job. Currently doing a temporary full time. Even though it does not pay as well and do not have any benefits, I guess it beats being jobless. Maybe you can search for a temp one too.

I'm also looking for temp but then it seems like market is moving slow. Most of the companies do not want to hire pregnant women now even its temp. How to find? I have been searching for jobstreet everyday .

Hope u succeed in finding a contract job.

Do take high protein and complex carbohydrate to reduce morning sickness lots of water and reduce emotional stress.

Thanks a lot Mdm King ... Not easy for this pregnancy. I'm so afraid of eating now cause whenever I had food intake, I began to start vomitting and also heart burns ...

I'm also looking for temp but then it seems like market is moving slow. Most of the companies do not want to hire pregnant women now even its temp. How to find? I have been searching for jobstreet everyday .
hihi! i quit my job last yr as i was TTC... now doing sideline to bring abt some passive income.. do PM me if you are interested to hear more.. :)

I think you don't waste your time sending emails to feedback. I supposed to start work in April , and I got pregnant, they retracted the offer immediately. And since then I have been looking for contractual jobs hoping I can find one but most of the companies knows that I am pregnant and they don't even want to consider about me.

I called up to mom, and ask about this, they said if I got pregnant before starting a job, they have the right to withdraw , and if I start work and got pregnant within 3 months , they also have the right to withdraw. But if they accept us, they have to pay 16 weeks of ML cause we stay in the company at least 60-90 days before EDD.

To be honest, most of the companies are very unfair, there is nothing much we can do also.
Did u sign any contract

Prayingformiracle - I find it hard to believe that MOM told you about this. You can bring this matter to the attention to whichever platform.
I am presently pregnant too, 2 companies rejected me when i told them over the phone that I am pregnant, and the interviews were cancelled.

Jia you!

Hi how do i go about to do the surveys?

Hi how do i go about to do the surveys?
Many survey companies are hiring and one of them beacon hiring people to do nus survey of 40mins. Each done will get u $20. U can google them beacon consulting pte ltd look for Selena.But this survey need to record one.
I was offered another survey by Bgc under mom national survey but that one the target too high I feel I cannot achieve so I rejected them. The mom too late to join but beacon still looking for people.

Last edited:
Prayingformiracle - I find it hard to believe that MOM told you about this. You can bring this matter to the attention to whichever platform.
I am presently pregnant too, 2 companies rejected me when i told them over the phone that I am pregnant, and the interviews were cancelled.
Here pregnant women don't have much rights. Diff to land permanent jobs and even rejected for interviews fm my experience. My gyne told me point blank I can forget about a permanent job just look for part time.
My friend looking for someone to help sell vitamins dry food, vinegar at shopping centres. If u ladies interested can pm me. Rate varies $7 -$9 per hr but need to be able to stand.
Nowadays I get leg cramp so I can't stand as long and can't help her. But she say 2 ladies can take turns then no need stand too long at the counter.

Last edited:
Many survey companies are hiring and one of them beacon hiring people to do nus survey of 40mins. Each done will get u $20. U can google them beacon consulting pte ltd look for Selena.But this survey need to record one.
I was offered another survey by Bgc under mom national survey but that one the target too high I feel I cannot achieve so I rejected them. The mom too late to join but beacon still looking for people.
Thank you for your information.

That is exactly what MoM told me. And I was kind of shocked when I heard about it. But what to do. I cannot say anything as I don't have any rights now.

That is exactly what MoM told me. And I was kind of shocked when I heard about it. But what to do. I cannot say anything as I don't have any rights now.

Hi all mummies-to-be,
I am also one of the preggies who can't find a perm job due to pregnancy. Many companies rejected me bcos of the pregnancy. However, I think I am lucky enough tt I've found a part time job due to my experience in IT. So I can work for another 3 months ever since I've hit 2nd tri and I will be due in weeks' time.
There are still part time jobs around and good companies too. Hope that I could encourage you guys and meanwhile, do take care.

YESSSSSS!!!! I faced this same issue too when during the interviews the HR and hiring managers asked if I have any plans for setting up a family. I replied yes to them and immediately they shown a very "weird" face on them. It's very obvious all these companies are not practising what was preached by govt that pregnant mums should be embraced into the working society. All pregnant mums or women planning to have a family should not be discriminated or treated this way. We all need a supply of stable income to support not only ourselves but for our little ones. Most of the times after such interviews have ended, no replies heard there after.

I recalled calling Tripartite regarding this matter and they asked for the Company Names, Staffs' Names etc. And finally they also need the name of the person reporting this issue. They does take actions for such discrimination against pregnant ladies who want to apply for jobs. BUT......how many of these women dares to continue to fight on to report? Because eventually Tripartite may eventually need this pool of pregnant mums to come forward to launch a complaint and not many ladies are willing to go to such extent due to hassles and other issues. It's a sad thing to say "such" companies still exist in Singapore and many of them are prestigious and renowned ones that does not practice what they say.

Well, even if you voice out, there's nothing Singapore government can do, can they. They need companies to pay their salary.

YESSSSSS!!!! I faced this same issue too when during the interviews the HR and hiring managers asked if I have any plans for setting up a family. I replied yes to them and immediately they shown a very "weird" face on them. It's very obvious all these companies are not practising what was preached by govt that pregnant mums should be embraced into the working society. All pregnant mums or women planning to have a family should not be discriminated or treated this way. We all need a supply of stable income to support not only ourselves but for our little ones. Most of the times after such interviews have ended, no replies heard there after.

I recalled calling Tripartite regarding this matter and they asked for the Company Names, Staffs' Names etc. And finally they also need the name of the person reporting this issue. They does take actions for such discrimination against pregnant ladies who want to apply for jobs. BUT......how many of these women dares to continue to fight on to report? Because eventually Tripartite may eventually need this pool of pregnant mums to come forward to launch a complaint and not many ladies are willing to go to such extent due to hassles and other issues. It's a sad thing to say "such" companies still exist in Singapore and many of them are prestigious and renowned ones that does not practice what they say.

What is tripartite? Is this an association or what?

What is tripartite? Is this an association or what?
Website is tafep.sg promoting fair employment practice.

I noticed that many ministries have signed the pledge to practice fair employment practice but this did not stop one that signed located at outram fm asking me at a recent temp job interview of 3 mths if I have young children. I didn't get that job of course.

WDA was not of much help either. They told me most of the jobs they have r cleaner and technician work though they think they could match me to some admin work but want me to revamp my resume.
One of the suggested way was not to put age and address on resume and no cover letters needed too. Which was strange to me cos my last long employer didn't like resumes with no cover letters.
He suggested to put most recent employment first which was reasonable.
Finally he suggested I try other work like tuition.

All my working life at interviews I have been asked if I was going to have a family or I had young children.
This is after all Asia and not Sweden or Europe and will never be no matter how progressive we want to imagine ourselves to be.

Last edited:
I guess looking for jobs need some faith and patience. Ya, I never put age and ic no on the resume as we may face elimination in the 1st round when qualifying.
I went to E2i before and went for interview with the company collaboration with E2i before pregnancy. But the employer rejected me shortly after I found out that I am pregnant. The strange thing is that the application form asked whether one is currently pregnant. If they can't accept pregnant ladies, why do they put the question there in the 1st place? They told me to look for them again after giving birth. Majority of the companies are afraid of the 4 mths' maternity leave. If govt is paying for the 4 mths' leave, I guess majority of the companies may change their mind.
Actually by asking if one is alrdy pregnant in the form is also a form of discrimination, much like stating age wanted in employment advertisements.

I thought about this too. Why not govt pay for maternity? Well employers also claim that there maybe disruption to the work when staff go on maternity and they have to look for alternative staff.
Here the employment laws protect employers more then anybody else I think.

I had a friend who got replaced during maternity. When she went back to work, her boss said I thought you weren't coming back when he actually asked her to come back after 3 mths and stagger the 4th mth leave. She stayed on for a gd few mths and finally left the law firm.

Yes. I signed the offer letter . But I called up to MoM and they said if I pregnant before start work , they can retract the offer
Hihi
I have signed offer letter and supposed to start work next month. Have not told them abt pregnancy. They did not ask anything during the many rounds of interviews too.
Now I'm in a fix whether to be honest with them before starting work....and risk losing the job.
Or just turn up on the first day...with tummy already showing a little...

What do u ladies think?

Hihi
I have signed offer letter and supposed to start work next month. Have not told them abt pregnancy. They did not ask anything during the many rounds of interviews too.
Now I'm in a fix whether to be honest with them before starting work....and risk losing the job.

What do u ladies think?

There is no answer to your question. It's really up to u to decide whether to be honest or not ... For my case I choose to be honest because I don't want to tell them after 3 months and affects their impression towards me. I mean that's me la. If not u can go in and work for 1 months first and then tell them, at least let them see your performance first but to be aware, according to MOM that if u are pregnant within 3 months on the job, the company is eligible to terminate you if they want. And if u pregnant before starting of new job, they also able to terminate you. So it's the risk u want to take or not ...

@art51424 - Ya, what prayingformiracle said is true. Only you can decide for yourself. Whatever it is, if this is your dream job, you need to be truthful and tell them how much you want this job. Whether it's financially or other specific reasons, you can still choose to tell them when the time comes. Cos paper cannot cover fire for long (meaning the truth will still come to light one day). :)

@art51424 - Ya, what prayingformiracle said is true. Only you can decide for yourself. Whatever it is, if this is your dream job, you need to be truthful and tell them how much you want this job. Whether it's financially or other specific reasons, you can still choose to tell them when the time comes. Cos paper cannot cover fire for long (meaning the truth will still come to light one day). :)

Thanks for the inputs. Shall ponder over it over the weekend...

Hihi

What do u ladies think?
i feel that there is a difference between lying and withholding information.
it is wrong to lie (i.e. say that u are not pregnant when u are) but it is not wrong to not tell people that u are pregnant

Honesty doesnt get you a job. But it is a matter of conscience if you can live with the people talking behind your back after you start working in the companies. If you want to grow with the company, it is good to be honest. Sigh... again by declaring you are pregnant, all chances are dashed. Not even an interview granted.

Hi. Thought I'd update everyone. I told the company abt 2 weeks before starting. My boss was cool about it. Now I've worked 2 months already, and will go on maternity by end Dec.

So to anyone else who are In a fix....just go for it. You might just get lucky.

Hi. Thought I'd update everyone. I told the company abt 2 weeks before starting. My boss was cool about it. Now I've worked 2 months already, and will go on maternity by end Dec.

That's very lucky of you.

You are really lucky.

Hi mummies, i faced the same problem before and i guess i was lucky. Actually you dont have to reveal that u are pregnant during your interviews if they dont ask about that. But I did tell the hr that I am pregnant before signing the offer letter, but to my surprise, they are cool about it. The HR checked with his HR manager and still let me sign the offer. I asked him if he have checked with my department head, and he said no need. And it was a discrimination if we retraced the pffer. This is an American company. And indeed i did the same thing with another big local company, and they asked me to come after I gave birth. So my suggestion is try to look for jobs from big companies or from US

I am not even showing yet and I got 2 offers. One fm a Pte hospital at orchard another fm a Pte ltd co at MacPherson. When I told them I just got to know I am pregnant, they quickly rescinded their offers. So much for fair employment practice in Singapore.
Even the lousy train co that always breaks down asked me to interview for a position I told them about pregnancy the hr quickly tried to put down the phone, promised to chk with the line mgr and get back but never did. It was just for a 6 mths contract and end of contract not even reach my due date.

Hey mummy, try download this app on your mobile call 'Snapjobs' or go their wesbite http://snapjobs.com/

my son used this to find job during his holiday. You can indicate that you are pregnant in your profile before you send message directly to the company that you are interested. Best part is that my son told me that instead of calling them or walk in interview, you can discuss the offer with the HR and set an interview date with them to meet them.

Its free to download and free to message that what my son told me.

He got job offer very fast and he told me that he dont need to depend on friend recommend or newspaper or recruitment agency too. Just using mobile app to find job 0_o haha.. i wish my time have this app too.

Hope its help =)

Back