3 year old throwing things

mini15

Hello Mummies,

I am struggling to discipline a 3 year old boy at home. He screams whenever I say NO to anything he asks. He has also started to throw things - if he is angry. Any advice on how can I discipline this behavior?

Just to give you more background. Both my husband and I never scream on each other - in general we have a happy atmosphere at home, so I am bewildered on what have we missed on parenting.

Also though both of us work - we spend good time with him, my husband plays with him in evening and I do his chores whenever possible. I gave birth to another baby boy last month, so most of the times my hands are full taking care of little one.

I am also worried about little one's safety. I am worried what if the young one gets hit accidentally and gets an injury for the life time.

And yes - my husband is a terrific Dad, and he is my son's preferred parent. I have no issues with it but this makes it even more challenging for me to discipline him. Most of the times he does not pay attention to what I speak. So simple talking after he is cool down does not work. I have started doing time outs but I admit that I have not been consistent with time outs - reason is my month old newborn who keeps me very busy whole day/night.

Can you suggest what I can do to discipline a child who does not pay heed to my words?

Interestingly - he has opposite behavior at school. His teacher says he is "most" well behaved kid in his class, and he speaks very softly. Till date he never had fight with any other kid. And he never hits any other child when he goes down to playground either.

Any advice will be appreciated!

HI,

I think your elder one need more attention from you, don't always say no to him try to understand what he want and explain to him why no. I understand that having a little ones is more challenging, if this don't works try to award him with sticker if he do a good job and also he is trying his best to change his habits.

Back