My Semen Analysis report

Her and I

Hi all

40yr old Australian male here. Several years ago prior to trying for children I had an analysis done, I can't remember the exact details but it was poor, like less than 250,000 sperm.

The other day my wife suggested I see if it has changed, strangely enough on the same day I was thinking it, so I decided to do it.

The results I suspect are now worse but I'd like those who have 'been there done that' to confirm. I don't think I need at this stage a professional consultation from what I have read about this on the net so far, but confirmation from you guys/gals would be appreciated

The density, motility, morphology sections with tick boxes just had a line through them and the final summary has as follows:

'Severe Oligoasthenoteratozoospermia'
'After Centrifugation, 0-5 immotile sperm /5 HPF are seen; no motile sperm observed'

I assume this is as bad as it can get?

I understand the 'no motile sperm observed' bit but can someone explain whether the '0-5 immotile sperm /5 HPF are seen' gives us much/any hope? I'm guessing not.

Thanks!

Hi,

My DH has the same diagnosis (severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia) on his results, but nothing about 'centrifugation'. He's going for his varicocele repair next week. The surgery may or may not increase the sperm count, but hopefully the quality could be improved. We are going to go to our first IVF consultation this September if we still cannot conceive naturally.

Hi,

From what I understand, the report means that the sperms are only found after additional processing and under high power magnification, and they are not moving. Normal sperm need to swim towards the egg in order to try to fertilize if you are trying naturally, so immotile sperm is definitely not a good sign. No mention made about the shape of the sperm since there's too little sperm count for analysis.

It's better you seek professional opinion if you want to find out potential causes and ways to get around the issue.

Back