(2014/10) Oct 2014 Mummies

@ysquare26
I just started giving cereal to my baby at 6mth, is it too late? I just realised that quite a number of mummies actually started when their baby is 4mth... :(

this afternoon, I tried to give water using spoon. surprisingly, he more interested in water than cereal. (-_-')

can I know how many days you take to replace cereal with 1 milk feed? now I still gave like a few spoonful to my baby and later still gave milk to top up.

Hi, I started to give my baby with cereal when she was 6 months 2 weeks old. I never start earlier as I heard that's it's advisable not to start at early age as scared baby can't digest & they can't sit properly may get choked easily.

I feed with 2 scoop of cereal & mix with warm water. Feed once a day, interval of drink milk. Sometimes after cereal, she will ask for milk again after 1-2 hours. Now my baby drink milk every 2.5 to 3 hours once.

@angel_loi
I am using friso cereal. it didn't come with scoop. it states using tablespoon as measurement. that's why im a bit confused.
i gave 1 tablespoon of cereal with some warm water. that is abt 30mins after he had his milk. and later he ask for milk 3hr later...

anyone still breastfeeding? i am exclusive pumping and i always get nipple ablation and occasion milk blister. anyone knows why? i already changed my funnel to a larger size but it still comes. it frustrates me a lot.

@babybear33 I read online that many mummies started at 6months too. I started at 4th month as advised by my PD, but I think it's not too late to start at 6months. They are still receiving nutrients from milk and digest more easily. After I introduced cereals to her diet, her stool patterns changed as well. Passed stools like every 3 or 4 days interval instead of 1 day. Harder too ;p

I took around 3 to 4 days to replace cereal with 1 milk feed. However, the next milk feeding will probably be after 2hours instead of her usual 3 hours. She's taking 160ml per feed now btw.

And... I'm exclusive pumping too! My baby refused to latch after I stopped latching her for awhile when she was about 1month plus. I got Avent double pump and Medela Mini Electric pump. But I only use Avent manual pump cause I find it more effective in emptying the breast, alot faster as I can control the speed.. and most importantly, the suction is not too strong. I find that my nipples are always sore after using electric pump. Maybe you might want to try the manual pump or check out a different electric pump? I think there are shops where you can try out the pump or rent the pump before deciding to purchase. Also, you might want to make sure that there is no dried milk on your nipple? I read that you can use a toothbrush to lightly brush off the dried milk. I tried and it works. But you can also fold tissue papers and make use of the edges to get them off too.

@angel_loi
I started with Baby Time cereal (banana & peach flavour) and my baby was ok with it. Then I bought the brown rice cereal which my baby doesn't want to take, so I tried the Heinz smooth baby rice last week and she really loves it. It look and taste like porridge.
I use a milk powder scoop, but I think so long as you use the same scoop everytime, it doesn't matter the size of scoop or spoon you use. It's just a rough gauge to monitor so that you can slowly increase the number of scoops. Like.. I know I started with 2 scoops.. so I use 2 scoops the next few days and increase gradually.. until I went to 5 scoops and she can't finish her meal, so I will stick back to 4 scoops again. Haha. Something like that. And she also started on pears but in very small quantity.

@ysquare26 Your pd advise can start solid at 4 mths...???. Thought it's old school already.... now the recommendation is 6mths onwards, at most can try only close to 6mths if the bb can sit properly with support.

@babybear33 can try to moisturize your nipple and breast where have contact to the breast shield with some breast milk first before u start to pump. Sometimes its because the skin is too dry.

@littlebeemama @nvidia Yup, went to my PD at Mt. A for injection when baby was around 4months. At that time, he advised that baby can start to take cereal to replace 1 feeding.
He did advise me to slowly introduce the cereal, not too much for the first few feedings.
Subsequently when I went back 1 month later to follow up another jab, he advised that baby can start to take pureed fruits and vegetables already.
After giving birth, I only visit this 1 and only PD, thought he is quite renowned.
My daughter was not very steady with her neck at 4months yet, but still managed to spoon feed while propping her up with cushions. She was able to sit quite well in the Ikea high chair at 5months plus.
So far, only 1 milk feeding is replace every 1 or 2 days.
Was also quite confused when I read many mentioned only to introduce solids at 6 months but I decided to follow PD's advice and also from monitoring my daughter's flexes on swallowing and poop. Haha.

@ysquare26

Yes, I also measure by using the scoop as it's easier for me to count for each feed. Well, my baby loves to taste new foods but so far I do not want to let her try so much food yet. As I scared she can't digest well. Let's say she drink milk must burp. If no burp there's high chance she will vomit. This happen quite often when she was 0-5 mths plus old. Now so far still ok but sometimes still will vomit a bit if she play too much.. Haha!

@ysquare26
my baby still refused to eat the cereal. therefore unable to replace a feed. I've bought a new cereal as you suggested. this time without milk content, pure rice cereal. I am thinking it will be closer to his FM taste if I add it into the cereal. gonna start tomorrow. keeping fingers crossed that he will accept. he is now drinking every 2-3hrly depending of whether BM/FM.

my boy's stool pattern is always very unpredictable. sometimes everyday, sometimes 2x a day, sometimes few days once. makes me so clueless whether is it bcoz of diet or what...

I don't think I will get another pump at this point of time as I've already come so far. I've reached my target to pump for 6mths now and everyday now is a bonus. although I am now pumping miserable amount (~320ml/day). my boy refused to latch since birth thus i have no chance at all to increase my supply despite going to a LC.

@ NVidia
yup, tried your method now and i think you are right. maybe my nips are dry so it caused all the "injuries"...

I started my LO porridge just 2 days ago. He is 7 months 2 weeks. He started cereal about 6 months old cause i scared he can't swallow. He now ate a bowl of porridge around 2 times per day. He is big eater. Around 1hour after porridge he still drank 180ml milk before sleep. Super high consumption baby.

Sharing with the mummies and new mums-to-be !

upload_2015-4-27_13-33-39.png

hi mummies
do you give whole fruits to your LO? normally I only gave half fruit, eg apple, to my LO. either apple alone or mix into cereal. is giving a whole fruit too much for our baby?

I gave whole fruits before. Avocado, papaya. Mix wif a bit of breastmilk. Nw my girl is eating porridge wif meat & veg or cereal

I only give less than half a fruit in between meal time.
My LO is also eating porridge (or cereal porridge) with meat and veg. I cook the porridge with 2pcs of meat (no fats), a few cubes of carrots and 1 tiny broccoli. Let the whole pot simmer until porridge is very fine, scoop everything except the meat. Mash the carrots and broccoli and it's ready to be eaten. The meat is only for 'flavor' and my mil says the meat has got some nutritional value to it. Gives LO strong legs. Sometimes I replace the meat with a small pc of fish. The fish can be given to LO if you blend it to a fine texture.

My girl will b 8mths old on 30th.

Nw her porridge consist of threadfin, pumpkin / sweet potato/ carrot / broccolo/ tomato/ spinach wif little dried scallop. The veg rotates. Sometimes will b chicken instead of fish. I let her eat the fish but nt the chicken. Might be too hard for her to digest

icic... I heard abt cooking the porridge with meat to give it flavour.... I think I will go buy some meat to cook for LO. I only used fish to cook porridge for LO once. but did not let him eat the fish.

do you use the spoon to mash the fish, or blender, or use hand?

what is your LO's feeding schedules? mine is

1. 8am = milk
2. 11am = cereal + half fruit (lunch)
3. 2pm = milk
4. 5pm = porridge + veg/meat/fish
5. 8pm = milk
6. 11pm = milk

am I feeding him too little variety of food?

@ysquare26
I gave only half fruit per day, which is only added into LO's cereal once a day. do you mean you gave half a fruit say at 10am and another half at 2pm?

icic... I heard abt cooking the porridge with meat to give it flavour.... I think I will go buy some meat to cook for LO. I only used fish to cook porridge for LO once. but did not let him eat the fish.

do you use the spoon to mash the fish, or blender, or use hand?

what is your LO's feeding schedules? mine is

1. 8am = milk
2. 11am = cereal + half fruit (lunch)
3. 2pm = milk
4. 5pm = porridge + veg/meat/fish
5. 8pm = milk
6. 11pm = milk

am I feeding him too little variety of food?

@ysquare26
I gave only half fruit per day, which is only added into LO's cereal once a day. do you mean you gave half a fruit say at 10am and another half at 2pm?

For fish, I use blender. I tried mashing once it but there will still be some slightly big pieces which LO is not able to chew.

The feeding schedule is approx
1. 9am = Ebm
2. 12pm = porridge
3. 2pm plus = Ebm
4. 5pm = less than half a fruit (either Apple, pear or avocado) then I eat the rest. Haha.
5. 6pm = Ebm
6. 9pm = Ebm

Sometimes if no fruit in between feed, will continue the usual 3hr interval milk feed (160ml).
I only give fruits approx 1 or 2 days in a week depending on whether we are at home or not. I think it's quite messy to feed cereal/fruits when we are out. I tried steaming apples and blending it into purée as a meal instead of porridge but LO not very keen in eating it.

Hi, sorry I have been very busy, now that i have started working and also my LO needs more attention from me now.

I have sent friend requests to add those who have requested to be added. If you did not receive any friend request from me (Leong Winnie), it means I cannot find your email when I do a search. You need to change your privacy setting so that I can add you. Then you post a reply again with your email address (so that I don't have to look through all the posts for your email) and I'll try again.

Thank you

Hello mama can add me in the October mummies 14 fb group? My bubs was born 8oct14

Hi can someone help add me [email protected] to the October 2014 mummies group. I've tried adding to a few but no response. Would love to network with other SG October mummies so we can share share...

Back