Advice needed.. should baby go for malaysian citizenship or singaporean citizenship?

MissyMisty

I would like to seek some advice on whether i should proceed to apply for SG citizenship by descent for my newborn son. The dilemma is should i registered him as a Malaysian or Singaporean?

I am a Malaysian and my hubby is Singaporean, we are both living in KL most of the time. Our baby boy was born just in Malaysia, and therefore, he is Malaysian by default. Our initial thoughts for him to remain a Malaysian, so that he doesnt have to serve NS.

It is a known fact that Malaysia public education system is really bad. Therefore, when he reached schooling age, we intend to send him back to SG on a student visa for him to study in local Primary and Secondary school.

However, we have been told if the father is Singaporean, and it is obligated that we must apply for him to be a Singaporean and serve NS. If we do not apply Singapore Citizenship for him now, he will be blacklisted and not be able to get a student visa to even study in local SG schools.

Even if we apply dual citizenship (both Malaysian and Singapore) for him now, he can only renounce SG citizenship before he turns 21. It is also no guarantee that he will be grant deferment from NS pending his renunciation at aged 21. I have heard of similar cases when one must serve NS first before he can renounce his SG citizenship.

Any advice?

hi,

i would say if you do not want him to serve NS, the only choice is the father need to give up Singaporean and become Malaysian, then your boy can go into Singapore as student visa but the education fees is super expensive.
but in Malaysia, some or most of the Malaysian kids (boys or gals) oso need to serve NS (shorter period) but it is more dangerous than Spore NS...

i think Spore NS service is a good initiative, at least it discipline the kids.....:)
for myself, both me n hubby are Malaysian and Singapore PR, our kids (2 sons & 1 daughter) were born in Spore, so they actually same status as us, Malaysian and Singapore PR...but my 2 sons need to serve NS, if not they have to give up the PR and only hold foreigner passes....even they serve NS, they still can maintain their Singapore PR unless they decided otherwise....anyway, it's their own choices i would say...:)

sending him to a singapore public school is the right choice, not just in terms of quality, but also in terms of fairness. at least won't be discriminated the way he will be in if he continues in malaysia.

ns isn't actually that bad, it isn't as dangerous as the old days anymore. i think it'll be good training for my two young boys. :)

just my 2 cents worth. actually no big deal abt serving Ns. its just a few yrs only. just consider it as training up yr boy. i guess u just weigh the pro n con. I just heard fr malaysian friends that chinese race is not treated fairly and being discriminated?

I would like to seek some advice on whether i should proceed to apply for SG citizenship by descent for my newborn son. The dilemma is should i registered him as a Malaysian or Singaporean?

I am a Malaysian and my hubby is Singaporean, we are both living in KL most of the time. Our baby boy was born just in Malaysia, and therefore, he is Malaysian by default. Our initial thoughts for him to remain a Malaysian, so that he doesnt have to serve NS.

It is a known fact that Malaysia public education system is really bad. Therefore, when he reached schooling age, we intend to send him back to SG on a student visa for him to study in local Primary and Secondary school.

However, we have been told if the father is Singaporean, and it is obligated that we must apply for him to be a Singaporean and serve NS. If we do not apply Singapore Citizenship for him now, he will be blacklisted and not be able to get a student visa to even study in local SG schools.

Even if we apply dual citizenship (both Malaysian and Singapore) for him now, he can only renounce SG citizenship before he turns 21. It is also no guarantee that he will be grant deferment from NS pending his renunciation at aged 21. I have heard of similar cases when one must serve NS first before he can renounce his SG citizenship.

Any advice?
hi,

i would say if you do not want him to serve NS, the only choice is the father need to give up Singaporean and become Malaysian, then your boy can go into Singapore as student visa but the education fees is super expensive.
but in Malaysia, some or most of the Malaysian kids (boys or gals) oso need to serve NS (shorter period) but it is more dangerous than Spore NS...

i think Spore NS service is a good initiative, at least it discipline the kids.....:)
for myself, both me n hubby are Malaysian and Singapore PR, our kids (2 sons & 1 daughter) were born in Spore, so they actually same status as us, Malaysian and Singapore PR...but my 2 sons need to serve NS, if not they have to give up the PR and only hold foreigner passes....even they serve NS, they still can maintain their Singapore PR unless they decided otherwise....anyway, it's their own choices i would say...:)

Hi,

Just to check whether your son has dual citizenship now.

I am a Singaporean who wish to deliver in Malaysia. My hubby is a Malaysian (SPR).

Can you guide me on the procedures?

Back