Montessori Pre-school

Lina Hamid

Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble deciding what kindergarten to send my child to??? All fellow mother's are telling me montessori based school is good and i've searched for modern montessori in sg any feedback or advice about this?

Hi Lina,
I'd taught in Montessori preschool for a short while, here's my take.
Plus points:
Learning style is realistic simulation of everyday activities. Children learn self-help skills, housekeeping & discipline. Depending on home support, some flourish with this style, some don't. Mont materials r changed every term. Children learn at own pace depending on their ability. Eg, 2 K1 children- one may be learning at K1 level, another may accelerate to K2 level if child shows exceptional capability. Thematic teaching is same as most schools.
Minus points:
Fees are expensive due to Mont materials used and the special learning style coached.
The Mont materials used are not the full range as its too wide.
Difficult to retain teachers as salary is not attractive in this industry, hence children face change of teachers often-instability?
S'pore education style of doing worksheets need to be incorporated into Mont teaching everyday which REALLY goes against actual Montessori philosophy. Children do worksheets in class, a demand from parents who fear children cannot cope when they enter Primary schools.
Children here lose out on Dramatic play as materials are all Montessori, no other toys provided.
What really matters is to work within ur budget and find a centre with interesting programmes, one that doesn't stifle ur child's creativity and help ur child build problem-solving skills.
I hv seen parents transfer kids to other centres when they can't cope financially after a while, this sets d children's learning months behind while they adapt to new environment.
Parents who cooperate with teachers and work hand in hand with them often see better progress in their child.
Hope all these pointers are helpful.

Back