Cord blood. is it necessary to keep??

jc_yuen

Hi

I am first time mummy. EDD in feb 2012. wondering whether its necessary to keep it after delivery? as i have pple telling me its gd to keep and a precious gift for my baby. However some of them say its not proven and not necessary to keep..Hope to hear more views if possible.. Thanks!!

It is expensive to keep, about $5k for not sure how many years. It is like buying an insurance, when u really need it, you will be thankful that you have bought. If you dont need, it will be a waste of money. If you decide not to keep, alternatively you can choose to donate, i really regret throwing away as i was ignorant, dont even know that i can donate...

It is good to keep the cord blood especially if your family have history of serious medical records (eg. leukaemia or any inheritance diease)
It will save your love ones life.

So it's up to you to decide, anyway, it can't be stored forever, only for a few years.

oh thanks for the info, ladies
happy.gif

i just went for my check up with my gynae and i did ask her abt it, she say not necessary to keep it as it might not be matchable too. the percentage is low..however she did mention that i can donate it wich i tink i will consider as well. Of course if u kip it and must pay a fee wich is not cheap then of course u have the exclusive rights to use it solely..

My sis in law kip it whom told me not just for few years but perhaps up till 18 yrs old for the child..just kip for one child will do if u have more than one kid..

There are two blood bank in Spore if I am not wrong, Cordlife and Stemcord. I recently just sign up with Cordlife. I've to agree with Shar that it is just like buying an insurance, and to bank bb cord blood, it is very expensive. (>.<) I went to the talk and was told that it is 100% compatible to the owner, but not 100% to siblings and parents shld anyone of them need it (still better den finding a uitable bone marrow). Soccer players are using that to cure their knee injuries btw. It works something like bone marrow but many times, it is more difficult to find a suitable one provided that compatible person willing to help. Medical research has been saying that there are increasing no. of people suffering critical illness due to the many good foods, stress level and lifestyle in Spore. The max yr u can keep is for 21 yrs. Thereafter, they will notify the child if he/she wanna keep it himself as he/she turn 21 n is already an adult. So I thought y not just buy for a peace of mind.
happy.gif

I once asked my gynae regarding cord blood banking. His opinion is: If you have spare cash then it's fine, as it is not cheap. The companies always ask: "what if.. what if?" Then everything "what if" they win already. The cord blood cannot be used for every illness, only certain types of illnesses. Furthermore, once unfrozen, it cannot be re-frozen again.

I instead, donated to the national cord blood bank
happy.gif
Hope it helps!

My wife donated hers to the blood bank too. So do consider donating instead of disposing it if you are not intending to keep it using the paid method.

The recent research shows that it is not necessary to keep own cord blood. It is better to get a match from the international cord banks. After discussing with 2 doctors, I had donated mine to Singapore Cord Bank. It is very easy. Call them to make an appt. For example I had a routine check with gynae at Mt E, they would arrange to meet you in your gynae clinic while you are waiting for your turn to see doc. Answer some questionnaires and you are supposed to keep an envelop with document. The envelop is to be submitted when you admit hospital for delivery. On your delivery day, remind the nurses and midwife you have opted to donate the cord blood. The only thing you know about it during your delivery is that they will draw some blood from you. Followed by around 2-3 phone calls throughout the one year after your delivery to check the status of your baby.

hi jc yuen, not sure if this is still relevant to you but here's my 2 cts. we donated our first child's cord blood to SCBB too as

(1) we read that the stored blood may not be suitable to the child (http://www.scbb.com.sg/10.frequently_asked_questions.asp#Who%20can%20use%20the%20donated%20umbilical%20cord%20blood)

(2) our gynae mentioned it is probably more valuable for mixed-race kids to store cord blood because the pool of matching cord blood could be lesser as a result of the mixed ethnicity. since we are not mixed-race, we have one less reason to store privately.

(3) the amount of cord blood saved is only a small amount and usually insufficient at time of emergency. eventually still has to seek other matching donors. (i have no supporting document to back up this statement but it's something we heard) hence for the amount of money (or insurance) we had to pay, it didn't make sense to us.

all said, at the end of the day, storing or not is still a personal choice. do what you feel is best
happy.gif
just remember not to discard it!

i am gg to donate it to sccb... save the cord blood to save others is a good choice... unless of cuz if u hv spare cash...

I didn't managed to get my son's cordblood donated in time as I have an unexpected early delivery and also still indecisive whether to store like many new parents here.

But I agreed with BB and SNXC after checking wif my gynae at KKH that it is nt necessary to store.

i am keeping my baby's with Cordlife too. Though its usefulness is controversial now, science is always advancing, never know if it will become really useful in few years time. i rather spend the $$ than to regret in future *touch wood*.

It's good to keep. n it'd benefit (CHOY LA) the parents n siblings too. Personally i kept under stemcord which has two separate storage as oppose to Cordlife

It is good to keep the cord blood especially if your family have history of serious medical records (eg. leukaemia or any inheritance diease)
It will save your love ones life.

So it's up to you to decide, anyway, it can't be stored forever, only for a few years.

Heard from the consultant is 1000 years you can store.
You can read from here
click here

I donated for first delivery but was traumatised during delivery. It was chaotic so did not donate for 2nd one.

Back