2-year-old refuses to go to school

amanda_hui_yi

Hi All,
My daughter has been crying and refusing to go to the childcare centre. She has been attending the same school since infant days (infant care). For the past month, she cries and screams and even vomits when we reach the doorstep. It happens everyday, no matter me or my husband sends her. My MIL has been gg to spot check but didn't see anything amiss. We also don't see any injuries nor bruises. I spoke to all her teachers and they all say after I leave she'll be fine.
For the past week, things got worse. Every night before she sleeps, she will cry and say:"I don't want school. I want mummy!"
For a two year old to cry/fear or even think of tomorrow is scary. It is just the night before, and she is already crying and thinkg of school tomorrow morning? Isn't that stress? At her age? Some people tell me that it's a passing phase, but I'm still worried.

Any parents experienced this before? Kindly advise. Thank you in advance!

Are there any newly joined students due to new year? Mine also same situation now, had been attending school since half year back & this week refuse to go school. Me & teacher suspect is due to new students environment.

Maybe. As this is the new school year, she just started nursery 1, so it's the new class. Ok, thank you for reassuring me that she's not the only one behaving like this, as her teachers are not helpful, just telling me that she will be fine. Even on the first day when she first started going to infant care, they refused to let me go in at all. I see parents from other childcare centers being allowed to sit with their children for the first few days. This already caused me to wonder why and what the teachers might be doing behind the parents' backs.

yup. Mine also just started N1. I guess teacher might not be not helpful; just that they faced too many with the same case so quite get used to it. My school also not allow parent to join in even from the 1st day. Maybe it is more easier for them to mingle with the kid without parent around. Last time my gal cried for 6 wks when firstly joined; i just can hope this round will settle down faster..pray hard :). I think kid characteristic plays a big part, her elder sister does not have this problem at all.

My girl also just had the same problem today. She suddenly refuse to go school. It's the first time. She had been attending the same school for the past one year and she had always loved school. Thanks for the post. I was going to check with the school if there is any thing happening. She had also had a new class this year and change of teacher. (School did not inform us, we know only when the teacher who reply my question on the communication book was a different person)

My girl also just had the same problem today. She suddenly refuse to go school. It's the first time. She had been attending the same school for the past one year and she had always loved school. Thanks for the post. I was going to check with the school if there is any thing happening. She had also had a new class this year and change of teacher. (School did not inform us, we know only when the teacher who reply my question on the communication book was a different person)

Hi xl_mum,
Hopefully it's just because they can't adapt to the new teachers. But I suggest that you still check with her teachers if she's okay throughout the day.
Yea, my daughter's school also didn't inform abt the change. And I think partly my girl's afraid of her teachers. Recently she's been really cranky, and would sometimes beat her friends. Therefore she would get a scolding from her teacher.

My son was like that too... turns out it was because of an insensitive comment by the teacher that hurt him.
he refused to say initiallly, i could get nothing out from the teacher also (for obvious reasons)
i was so upset and desperate when it happened.

The teacher reply and mention that she doesn't display any difference in her behavior in school. Except that she is less vocal then last time. So they think could be half her class has been promoted to the next class and she miss her friend... Hmm... Well, at least these few days she didn't tell me that she dun want to go to school...keeping my finger crossed...

my gal now sometimes will cry for a short while when reach school. But later on is fine. I will try to talk to her at home about her school friends etc who is her best friend, & something that can make her look forward in school. Luckily the form teacher is still the same.

My girl form teacher also still the same. This morning she saw me, and told me my girl best friend is in another class... They will usually go out holding hand together during the outdoor. Think the whole class really mostly change,
My girl came back w birthday pack, ask her whose birthday, she think for a long time then says its her friend... Last time she will always tell me the name of the person...hopefully she makes her friend soon...

@eve0503: my girl also cries a while upon reaching. But it's on a daily basis! Really tires me out. I don't know how to improve the situation. Sigh. Hopefully they will all feel better soon.

yes. They have best friend, prince & princess term too. My gal everyday mentioned: my xxx does not want me. But i noticed some of her new friends still crying daily so she will need more time to accept too. I believe once her classmates all settle down then should be fine.

haaa guess i am not the only one.
its really emotionally draining every single day.
she will start crying at 530am and keeps repeating "mama hug you, mama hug you"
and she will stop crying like half an hour, and the warfare will start when I try to wear her uniform.
Quietens a little and reaches the peak when she saw the school from the car and we carry her across the school gate..
haiz.

Getting quite sian of this whole fiasco and its like close to 3 weeks and still like this?
I heard from some of my friends their kids took about 3 months to settle.
Chum
if its 3 months i duno if I got the mental capacity to carry on -.-

Back