Cooking Porridge for Baby

cardigal

Hi mummies, my little one is currently 9 months old and has very small appetite for milk and solids.

In order for her to receive as much nutrients as possible, I usually add many vegetables (e.g pumpkin, spinach etc) in her porridge everyday.

I'm cooking her porridge with a slow cooker from morning 8am till afternoon 3pm, as it's convenient and don't have to worry it will burn.

Question is, will the vegetables be losing their nutrients due to prolong cooking? Or is it fine since the nutrients are still contained in the porridge itself?

hi,
8am to 3 pm for cooking porridge? cannot believe..are you using brown rice? but it's too long and i think definitely vegetables losing nutrients...

Ya, agreed with Mrs Tan. I think is too long le,.
I would normally off the cooker first and reheat when he was going to have his meal (sometimes my boy was still napping while the food was ready).

Hi Cardigal,

Yea I think you can try any one of the food maker which available in market now for kids.My friend using one and she always says it really useful....but sorry don't remember name .... :)

Hi Cardigal,

Abt 2 months ago, I bought this avent blender & steamer for making food for my little girl. It's really useful and hassle-free. Put all the vege, steam for 15 mins and then blend it. Voila! Homemade healthy food for her!

You can steam meat, fish, pasta.. etc for your little one to try a variety of food to increase her appetite. Hope this helps. :)

I also bought this avent blender an steamer.
when I wanted to use this,i realised that the blender is abit rusty.
Therefore I need to bring back to Philip to exchange.
so mummies pls check before you started to use. :)

Hi Mummy,

my boy used to be a small & picky eater too. After reading online on cooking for babies/toddlers, I saw some mummies steaming veg (carrots, broccoli, spinach etc) then blend it & use a ice tray to freeze them. I do not have a Avent Steam Blender so I would use my steamer then cool the veg & blend it.

Freezing into ice trays makes it easy for my daily porridge preparations. I would boil the porridge in the morning then transfer to a slow cooker, my helper will on the slow cooker 1 hr before feeding time (add 1 ice veg cube) & the porridge is good to go! So the nutrients of the veg is not lost as steaming helps to keep the nutrients.

Frozen veg cubes can be kept in freezer for up to 2 - 3 mths.

Hope it helps!

Hi Cardigal,

I checked with my friend..She told me she using Beaba babycook and she is cooking food for her both kids by using this machine.

Hi Cardigal,

Yes last 2 years I am using beaba baycook for making food for my kids...I bought it from taka.It's a very good product.I recommended my friend and she bought it from an online website.I will give the link, may be helpful for you she told me they have promotion

You just check it www.vanille-et-chocolat.com

Back