Ascension or Newton Kindergarten

workio

Hi...

Any mummies with children currently in Ascension Kindergarten (Potong Pasir) OR Newton Kindergarten?

I will like to hear feedback relating to their teaching style (academic or montessori), teachers and if they have any affiliation to any primary schools?

Thank you very much.

If you like chinese env , go for Newton.My kid was in ascension. Unless your pocket is limitless, Ascension may not be the ideal, everything is $$$. Some teachers are fantastic but it's at their personal sacrifices dun hope much from the kinder. If not for logistics problem my kid would have gone to Newton

a lot of parents I know in Ascension who are just normal SAHM, dun have the tai-tai look, felt that they are marginalised. I am quite dissappointed to hear this from non-Chrisitian parents who sent their kids there, non vry good testimony on Christian hospitability. Can't stand especially the administrators in the office, just office girls mah but act like the authorities of the school, so one-kind behaviour but wat to do , some of them are non-Christian also

So the parents have it that the school management is money-faced, everything money, go for school outing would make you poorer by at least $20 on the average. Especially the year-end school concerts, the tickets are charged exorbitantly if you are not so well off get the cheapest at $15 and can only see a speck of your kid from some corner of back seats near the AVA room . Then they dun allow you to take pictures or video, have to buy from their appointed/official video taker, buy lousy CD at $25 which goes jam-jam all the way and got to take the trouble to get it changed and before you know it it goes jam-jam again(so far I bought for 2 yrs concerts, same problem, think they can't find better quality vendor). Then don't allow u to take photos also during the concert, then have to buy those their appointed vendor took during earlier rehearsals at at least $2 per copy, if you lucky you get to see your kid in 1 or 2 good shots. Some teachers, were some mothers before but because kid grow up leow nothing to do so go there to teach lor, so no standard

Then the most painful thing which I experienced and heard from mother who sent their kids there more than a decade ago, you pay for the concert clothes and any attachments they add will be ripped off and dun allow the kids to take home. My poor kid cry ever year asking why she cannot have her complete concert attire, so heart wrenching. Then if bor-pian and you want to buy, one parent shared they were quoted at least $50 for some headgear, common we know how much it cost in the retail just cannot find the exact color mah, not exaggerating, it's a vry close friend of mine. A lot of parents in the past have this disgusted feeling and apparently nothing has changed much after a decade they

Then the most painful thing which I experienced and heard from mother who sent their kids there more than a decade ago, you pay for the concert clothes and any attachments they add will be ripped off and dun allow the kids to take home. My poor kid cry ever year asking why she cannot have her complete concert attire, so heart wrenching. Then if bor-pian and you want to buy, one parent shared they were quoted at least $50 for some headgear, common we know how much it cost in the retail just cannot find the exact color mah, not exaggerating, it's a vry close friend of mine. A lot of parents in the past have this disgusted feeling and apparently nothing has changed much after a decade they

Go for Newton if you have the logistic means, learn the CHINESE lah, every kid in S'pore suffering in CHINESE, English can learn anytime

Hi Tinkerbell,

Thank you for your response.

Is your kid still with Ascension?

Newton is a little way out for me, unfortunately.

Hi my daughter is now at Newton. What Tinkerbell Mom shared about Ascension sounds like my experience with Newton!! Except they let you take the whole costume home. A costume which reveals the belly and when we got our daughter to wear a singlet underneath, the teacher told her to take it off cos it was "ugly". We complained to the principal who sounded like she was surprised we complained. As christians, we don't think children should wear such things and then be told when they are teenagers that such attire is no longer allowed. We are suprised that a christian kindergarten will allow this. True, from where we were seating (so far from the stage), we couldn't see anyone's bellies, but what is the message of such costumes?

I heard from my neighbour whose children go to Ascension that the ratio for N2 classes is about 2 teachers to 16 students. At Newton, it's 2 teachers to 20 students! They say there is an assistant teacher but she is not always around (sometimes at other classes). A lot of parents complained to the principal who said the waiting list is very long so want to give everyone a chance. How come they didn't reduce the school fees when they increased the student intake?

All these schools are so money minded these days! They must be envying those childcare which charge $1000+ per month and feel that they are not earning enough.

English standard for Newton? Terrible. They gave us a letter explaining what was done at school for the past term and it was FULL of grammatical errors and typos. English workbooks also come with spelling and grammar mistakes.

You can go to the MOE website to check how many of the MOE registered English teachers at each kindergaten have at least B4 for O Level English or A Level GP. You will be shocked! Newton is bad but some "English" schools like Baker Road Methodist are worse!

No wonder more people are home-schooling their kids nowadays. If you read James Dobson, it's worse over in the US!

Oh no, i need to register my kid for school soon.
was thinking of ascension; luckily come across this thread

anyone got good experiences with their kids' kindy?

hmm.. but what i heard and encounter about ascension aint as what Tinkerbell had describe...

well, i guess ascension would also have some positive remarks, if not y would u, Tinkerbell have place your child there in the 1st place n not to PCF or other preschool nearby your place???

Some UNREAL and NOT true "positive" remarks make me enrolled my girl into Ascension Kindergarten.

It was my mistake to believe it at first.

My children are in Newton Kindergarten and seems quite happy. When it comes to curriculum, I believe in enforcing it at home rather than leaving it to the teachers. However, my son is an advanced reader before he enters K2 in Newton. I feel that they encourage independence in children which I am very happy with. My girl in playgroup enjoy herself and successfully learn her alphabets (where I fail
sad.gif
)

I am giving up my son's slot in Ascension Kindergarten due to the distance.

any parents who wish to enrol their child in Ascension Kindergarten in 2011/Pre N/ 1145am session?

PM me

dear mummies, i'm a reporter from Straits Times. Did you have to pay to watch your child's kindergarten/childcare year-end concert? What about DVDs, photos, costumes etc? Looking for parents to interview for this week's feature. If you don't mind being interviewed, do email me at [email protected] with your contact, thanks!

Back