advise need - handling a picky eater

Joan Ong

Any mother has any experience in handling a picky eater. My son simply refuses to take any veg and fruits. He is also very resistant to trying new food.

Blend them and mix it into your dishes or blend in together with fruit juice. The more you force them, the more they resist. Don't make meal time a miserable time for both you n your kids. Keep trying.

Have your son eat with the family on the same table. Seeing the adult picking up their veg, etc, might interest him to do the same. It works for mine at least. Currently 5 & loving vege & fruits.

I actually don't agree on blending all ingredients in a meal, especially so when the child is old enough to chew. If it's only for the purpose of getting the necessary nutrients, blending works fine. I prefer having the child to be aware of what they are putting into their mouth & getting to know the taste of individual food.

Last edited:
i'm having the same problem with my daughter too. 19-month-old now. she eats really small portions too. i asked her PD before what to do if she refuse to eat at all sometimes, he said just let her be and she will eat again when she is hungry. so keep telling myself not to worry too much but i still do.

Eat the meals together with other children on weekends e.g when meetup with cousins.

My son used to be ok with eating vegi but after going childcare he changed. Most likely influenced by other kids.

One day when he says he doesnt want to eat vegi, the cousin told him if he didnt eat he will turn into a skeleton. And it works!

So I think other kids behavious plays a big part.

Back