Advice expressing very little milk (bb 3m)

Dear sleepless29,

congrats for yr NB. not mentioning latch on,when I pumped, the CL also stare at me.

for the first 4mth, I pumped every 3hrly. initial stage is to pump 3hrly and only can stimulate 20-50ml of milk for the first 1-2mth.

yes, u shd pump more often if not latch when and when as the bb demand. remember demand will cause yr reflux run and will tend to produce more bm.

cheers, jiayou for bf.

Thanks afcai.

But do you wake up in the wee hours to pump as well?

I realised if i pump 2hrly, ss does not even hit 20ml. Mm.. So shd i pump 2hrly or 3 hrly? coz quite demoralising when it cant even hit the 20ml mark. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

I guess I will start latching on when the CL is gone. :p

Dear sleepless29,

u are welcome. yes, I am very ON as what describe by the CL. I set alarm clock to pump. sometimes, too tired miss out the alarm and then overslept by 1-2hrs then got engorge wor. by right, normally, ppls pump 3hrly. it is optional too. for my case last time, think it is normal blar to have only 20-40ml within 1 mth after delivery loh.

but when u are pumping, u hide in the rm is it?? anyway, just pump whatever u have...preservance, support by hubby etc are also factor to build up bm. of cos, must drink lot of liquid. since u are still in CL, drink more red dates with longan tea and rest more. this will boost up bm. dun think negatively....that time, my bm took abt 1mth+ to build up.

jiayou, cheers.

oh, so need at least a mth to build up ah? I thot its like beri fast de.

mm.. i haven experience fullness or engorgement yet even when i din pump in the wee hrs. guess my ss is still not established yet bah.

yup, went to the AV room to pump to avoid the CL. :p

weather is too hot nowadays, tt after pumping, my breasts get itchy and red now. Its the breast not the nipples. Cant possibly air it also.

tks for ur encouragement, shall contd to pump!!

Sleepless29,

for my case, it needed a mth+. but I heard fr forum mummies that they have a very super gd supply of bm. dunno why....one can pump 1 litres per day...wow...me also envy...

usually, morning ss will be best.

hmm...I usually braless at hm during bf time. so more conventient for me. maybe for u, after pumping, just use hot towel to wipe. yup, weather super hot at 34 degree wor....

yup, keep it up....anyway, u just delivered last wk mah...

hi

Mummies using ameda, may i check if there's supposed to be a beeping sound and slight pumping sound when pumping? The ameda pump is supposed to be very quiet.

Sleepless29,

I want to share my experience with you also.

When I have my 2nd child, he was unable to latch so well till 4 month i go to work and I also do pumping every 2 hrs or 3 hrs inconsistant. Depend 2 or 3 hrs lah. My supply alway at 20ml only. very less but I message to pump at this amount till my child reach his 9 mths ol. Of course my supply was not enough for my boy, so sub with formula milk.

Then, I have a third boy which is very good in latching . So during my first born till the first 2 mths. I latched on every 2 hours and pump at the same time when latch on. If baby never consumed milk, i pump 2 hrly of 8 times a day/nite. Then, my supply comes in after the 2 mths of hard work. I cant remember how much i pump, it should be around 1 big bottle of 250ml for the start for both breast combined (250ML). Then, it increases both breast each 250ml at 3-4 mths. I also latch on one side and pumping concurrently. It still reach 250ml. You may tried this.

Then, I start work on the 4mths onwards, trying to reduce some milk at 5 mths, it drop so fast till i though it went missing....and asking for help here..

Some advises, if you keep thinking of 20 ml only so less and so stress no milk....then this is a Stress for your body and milk that wont help you produce milk. people alway say must relax so that milk will come. Try to relax when pumping , dont think of anything. Can watch TV or something else. Next is the timing. You must fix your timing for pumping, why, because the little pain may come to inform you that the milk is flowing out the breast. I lost this feeling already due milk when low. Fixed your time at even hours or odd hours. "A MUST."

Good Luck. Jia Yu!

hi vic ma

hee.. i'm new here.. i juz started to freeze my BM with playtex liners and rubberband.. really found it hard to store in freezer cos they dun stand.. how do u store them? lying down then put trays on top of each other ah? hee.. got pic to show? ;p thanks muchie! ;p

hi vic ma

hee.. i'm new here.. i juz started to freeze my BM with playtex liners and rubberband.. really found it hard to store in freezer cos they dun stand.. how do u store them? lying down then put trays on top of each other ah? hee.. got pic to show? ;p thanks muchie! ;p

hi vic ma

hi hunnypotty,

I put the breast milk inside a zip lock bag before I freeze the milk. I let the milk bag lie flat so that is has an even shape/surface and it will be easier to store. If your supply is alot, you might consider getting a chest freezer.

Fyi...hope it helps

BabyJace ;)

Hi qiqi16,

Can I check with you, how often do you pump? My BB is day 14 old now, same like you, I have prob with latched on. So I got to pump out and bottle feed. so far, my EBM is easily finished up by one feed. So would like to hear from you...

ksbb,

for my case, I pumped every 3hrly (8 times) when bb is an infant up to 4mth. after that, 6times (every 4hrly) and then 1 mth before gg bck to work, 5times a day and during work 4 times a day when bb is 7-8mth. fr 8mth onwards, I pumped 3 times a days.

for yr case, since u just delivered not long ago, you need to build up yr bm. the more u lathc on/pump, the brain will tell u to produce more milk (reflux). my bm is established after 2mth only. initally, for the first mth, I can only pump 20-30ml each times. so jiayou for yr moo moo task.....

Thanks afcai,

I quite depress when I have difficulty latching my bb...Try just now again but still cant latch on.

If dont bm bb, but just pumping enough to simulate my bm? now I am pumping every 2hour but only about 30ml.

so glad I am able to get help here...

ksbb,

dun depress. are you a first time mum? I tried to latch on my boy but he is super inpatient. will scream and 'gek' till face like chilli crab and then sweat. so give up and then express out. at least, I'm more freedom (CL or hubby feed bb) and much relax.

for yr case, did u latch correctly? at first, I also dunno how to latch (till nipple sore). before I discharged, I asked the nurse to show me. if not, u may like to refer to PROPER POSITIONING AND LATCH-ON SKILLS http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t021000.asp

http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_images_latchon.html

so the more you latch on, it is better as latching on will help one to stimulate more milk. that's why when having my no 2 time (only latch less than 10 times blar...), I had lesser milk compare to no 1 time (I latched her for 3.5mth).

yeah, it took 1-2mth to establish milk flow. do drink more fluid (esp brown rice tea, longan and red date tea), have rest, relax. it will help u to increase milk flow. jiayou, with much effort and preservance and effort, I'm sure you can do it. try yr best.

haa. bf also help mum to slim down easily...just feel free to post any quries. I'm sure most bf mum will help u....

afcai,

yes I am first time mum. I am going on express out only, I been trying to latch on a few times but always unable to do it. Decided to let go for awhile so as not to be too depress over it... Maybe I will try next week again... Been reading up on latch on techniques etc

Was wondering whether to call for midwife home service to solve my bfeeding problem, got it when I discharge from hospital. Anyone try before?

ksbb,

just try yr very best. latch on is hassle free one cos no need to sterlise bottles etc....anyway, it might be usueful to new mummy who can join the breastfeeding social networking grp. see this http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/useful-links.html

there are workshop to teach one how to bf. I did attended the hospital one...which has 2hr of demo for bf.

kksb, do take calcium and fish oil tablets on top of expressing milk.

My first one was not so successful. I expressed little milk when I went back to work. I did till 7 mths.

Now #2, I know little better. Express more frequently and take calcium & fish oil supplements. that helps to increase the milk supply.

Hope that helps

Hi, for those who express every 2 or 3 hrs, do you express after feeding or when? Coz if express after feeding and bb suddenly want more milk, won't we run out of milk or be low on milk? Wanted to try to pump but have this concern.

HI mommies, can any1 out der advice me pls. my production of milk is vry less. as i'm a non-wrking mother, i dun mind breastfeeding my baby, as it can help me save lots of $$ on formula milk as it's vry ex. pls advice me wat i shld eat or shldn't eat to hv btr production of milk pls. vry desperate

sharonroja,

just continue pumping or latching on. the more one stimulate the bm, the more reflux it is. gd keep it up...

the following can help u to increase yr bm:

1) consume herbs such as fenugreek. there are also many brand-name teas available, such as Mother's Milk or Mother's Milk tea.

2) Increase feeding freq

3) see tips on http://pediatrics.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pediatrics&cdn=health&tm=67&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022800.asp

4) Take Foods like Asparagus, Apricots,Green beans, Carrots, Sweet potatoes, Beet greens, Watercress, Peas, Pecans, Oatmeal.

5) increase yr intake of fluid. drink red date or brown rice tea.

6) Get plenty of sleep

7) Reducing stress and maintaining a healthy lifestyle(need 300 calories per day to produce enu bm)

8) Massage yr 'b' often

these should help to stabilize milk supply and provide enough for baby's needs.

Hi mummies,

i have more than 20 packs of frozen breastmilk packs that I don't intend to keep ( planning to breastfeed for nine months at least). Anyone interested for a small token of one pack of baby wipes? collection at jurong west.

PS: my baby is currently 7 weeks old.

Hi sharonroja,

I had the same case as you. To increase my breastmilk, I drank a lot a lot of breastfeeding milk. I encountered that, milk will not only increase our supply, but also the quality. Last time, when I pumped, I could only get 60ml max. Now, when I wake up in the morning, I can pump 200-240ml. I drank like 4 big glasses of milk everyday, morning, afternoon, before sleep at night and middle of the night. A lot of times, I just felt so full, but no choice. I guess, not all women are blessed with a lot of bm. Some of us have to work real hard for it.

My mil taught me to always be positive thinking and get enough rest. That will play real important part of our bm supply.

Hope it helps

i think one of the best way is to let baby latch on.. baby will really help stimulate the milk flow.. on top of that, with fenugreek and milk tea.. oh and also, papaya and fish soup!

If all else fails...don't stress... Try Motillium aka Domperidone.

Motillium really helped me establish good milk supply for my 2nd baby. I managed to total breastfeed for 8 months + give some to his older brother + freeze 150 packs of EBM in a deep freezer.

Tried Fenugreek for my 1st baby but it didn't work for me. I supplement him right from the beginning. For my 2nd baby, totally breastfed and saved a lot of money on formula, keke. Although a bit of Motillium enters breastmilk, I feel it is quite safe for babies as doctors also prescribe Motillium to babies who have reflux.

Can buy Motillium from Guardian/Watsons. 25 pills cost about $25, I find i only need 1-2 pills to boost supply each time, but after that have to pump regularly to maintain.

Motillium is supposed to be prescribed by a doctor although some pharmacists will sell it without prescription too. I have an extra prescription from my gynae, happy to give to whoever sends an SAE. PM me if interested.

For my 1st child, I took fenugreek so my supply was quite consistent with about 150ml for each time.. however with my second child, even with the fenugreek, it's ok 50ml a time...

Thinking of other ways to increase the amount.. can I combine mother's milk tea with fenugreek... I am already eating like 3 pills 3 times a day

try more milk special blend from Motherlove. It work well for me.

For my #1, my supply was low even I was on fenugreek and took mother milk tea. (daily about 400 ml plus at it peak)

For my #2, I took more milk special blend right after I discharge from hospital and my supply was good. At my peak, I can get abt 900ml plus daily.

Back