*************HELP!!!!!!!!underwgt BB

My baby just 3month, birth weight 3kg, 3month only 4.7kg, Dr. said she's underweight, boz, she only drink 500ml per day(formula feeding), should be 700ml-800ml per day, I feed her every 3hours, but she only drink 60ml per meal, I try many times to feed her 80ml ot 90ml, but failed:-( very very worry about her herlth, Dr. asked me try to feed her more, but don't know why very difficult to feed her, she always move her hand and feet or sleeping when I feed her, any mum can help me, Thanks a lot!!!!

Hi Jennifer, instead of sticking to 3 hour interval, try 2.5 hour, give her smaller portions but increase the frequency. If you are breastfeeding, you need to stay calm and relax and latch her on more often to increase your milk supply. Hope this helps.

Hi Jeniffer, is your baby gaining weight now? I have a baby boy now 3 months old. His birth weight is 2.42kg but now already 6.1kg. I send my boy for swimming. I notice that swimming did improve his milk taking & appetite.

ya.i think exercise help. but do remeber to find for qualify swimming instructor for your little baby.

And take note not to soak in the water for too long. Else, they might get cold.

U can try to change formula to similar neosure. It's for premature or underweight babies..contain more calories.. My bb birth weight 1.7kg . Now two month 5.1 kg Liao.

Check that latching is correct? Sometimes when they have suck problem, they will refuse feeding.

My 3 month old started to refuse feeding because he developed poor suck after recovering from bronchiolitis. He clicks his tongue when feeding and would choke and gulp lots of air. Painful to see him drink milk because don't know when he will choke and cough. After that, he'll refuse the bottle although he hadn't drank for 4 hours and took in only 30 mls. And when you burp him, he'll let out a monstrous burp. He's hungry but afraid to drink. It doesn't help that I'm feeding him from the bottle in the day and latch on the breast for night feeds. He clicks when on the breast too.

I had to change his bottle. I have almost every brand of milk bottle I in the market. In the end, found one that will help him develop proper suck. Now less clicking.

Saw the pediatrician a few days ago and she said since his weight is fine, she won't worry too much if he's not colicky. If I'm still worried, she can refer baby to SGH for therapy.

Need a Part-time Nanny from 6 pm to 8 pm (2 hrs)

Weekday, Monday to Friday.

Fetch 2 kids from Childcare Center to Home. Bath and feed them for dinner.

Any recomemder ??

Hi all,

My baby birth weight is 2.4kg (full term) and now at 7mth only 7kg. He was total BF until 6mth. Latch on pro some more. But how do I increase his weight? What is this formula with more calories? Where can I get it?

My bb milk intake quite small despite he is a big baby when born (birth wt 3.89kg). Now 2 1/2mth weight 6.3kg which only take average 600ml formula feed per day. Initially very worry & will always force bb to finish the bottle. Went to PD & she said is alright with such amt. As long he is gaining wt, not to worry.

my boy is 11m old and 8.5kg only. full bf plus solids.. recently had some formula because of some medication i took...

i think dun worry too much abt weight.. my doc not concerned.. though sometimes a bit sad my baby smaller than MOST babies his age. BUT in terms of his gross motor devt, he is slightly faster than avg.. so no cause for concern..

I wanna reassure mommies here

It's ok when your baby is just doubling his birth wt at 4-6 m... If more the baby shld b watched for obesity ESP if on formula

It's better to be breastfed totally n lean than intro formula which is processed food which is inflammatory

All in all, it's better that baby is healthy than a fat baby

I researched on the Internet.. Genes play a part in size of bb n although culturally we expect chubby babies, the truth is that babies come in all shapes n size n perfectly Normal

So stop fretting abt ur bb wt if he is gaining n reaching milestone

Bf babies tend to b leaner but u can take in more healthy fats like avocado to increase fat content in milk

Fats in babies serve a purpose to protect internal organs

But so long ur bb us healthy n strong, u hv done well, I think bb who gained too much too fast can b watched for obesity which is a rising concern amongst sch children now

Enjoy ur unique bb ;) dun stress him up but if not feeding well u can bring him to see naturopath or tcm

These natural n holistic medical approaches r more suitable for babies n children.

I wanna add I forgot if doubling of birth wt is at 4 m or 4-6 ; p

Kellymom is a great resource for bf mom

Seriously if bb seems contented, cooing, dun worry too much

But if not then tryst ur instincts n find out all u can to help ur bb

Usu if the bb is bf no issues but if on supplements might hv to find wat is most suitable

Oh ya

I dun practice gg by time but demand feeding cos bb hv different needs from time to time eg growth spurts n post spurts they r sleepier cos the brain is making another huge devt

N ur bb can be 25 % on growth chart but if always there , there is nothing to worry

The impt thing is the bb is progressing well on thier own growth paths

Every bb is Unique, even the speed they grow

Some spurt at primary sch [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

As long as ur child is happy n healthy...;)

My baby is not even on the 5th percentile. Everyone (especially those old fashioned types) said that I did not feed him or my breastmilk is of low quality. I feed him but he is very fussy, he is also more interested in playing than breastfeeding.

Any comments about his weight hurt me badly. I cry and get depressed. I even lost my temper sometimes when feeding him. It seems that I've failed as a mother.

I wish I can tell them, 'My baby may not be chubby, but I confidently think he is cute and good looking. He doesn't need fats to look cute.'

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Haizz... Jus managed to coax my girl back to sleep after 2 hrs of carrying and touring btw 2 bedrooms.. Now it's time for daddy to go for work and for me to catch some sleep b4 she wakes up again.. Nitez

i mummies,

Looking for female aged 30 to 45 years old who has at least 1 kid aged 4 to 12 years old and purchased &/or consumed diary products like milk, cheese, butter etc for the household.

Group discussion on 24th Nov (2.45pm & 5.45pm) or 25th Nov (2.45pm & 5.45pm) depending which criteria you fit in. 2 hours. Location in Orchard Road.

$100 cash incentive. Must speak good english. Interested, please sms me at 9189 2420. Hope to hear from you!

jenifferlee / rorokidul : my bb also very small size & weight since birth.

She weigh 2.645kg during birth & now juz pass 12mths & only slightly above 8kg only....;p

U can ask doc for their advise ?

Maybe can try probiotics / 'si sen fen' to increase appetitie ?

If yr bb is eating well & sleeping well & dun fall sick then think no need to worry too much.

If doc said to feed her more, then try to gv her more frequent small feeds ?

My bb hv been trained to hv small frequent feeds.....;p....dunno gd or bad as till now she can only take small feeds frequently....cant take 1 big feed at one go....[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]....the only time she take 1 big feed is b4 she sleep at nite....;p

hi mummies! juz wana share my experience with my bb boy,c if it can help any1. my boy was born 3.54kg,52cm. he is now almost 4mnths,last measured wen he was 3mnths 2weeks,66cm n 7.5kg. he is considered a veri big boy n growing rapidly. he has veri gd apetite n takes anyting,even chinese medical powder wen he had abit of phlegm. may advise is to feed on demand as its the oni way bb tells us tat he needs more to grow. at 1st he was drinking every 2hrs but as weeks pass,his volume increase n slowly time interval also longer. now he is taking 250ml bottle to the brim,8 scoops of milk powder n 1 scoop of 'si sen' brown rice powderevery 5hrs. my mum advised on the brown rice as my bro n me had tat wen we were babies n it proved to increase apetite,make bb feel full n great for buidling up bb body. started to add wen he was showing signs tat milk was not enuf wen we were giving him 250ml milk every 4hrs. he will get angry wen his milk finish n still wana suck somemore. i believe he is also teething as he is drooling alot n chewing on tings alot. he gets cranky n wants attention n hugs. i prefer chinese medication over angmoh type cuz chinese r all herbs n natural n easier to monitor progress. of cuz there r some times wen u reali have to consult a doctor. he also drank 'pao shen' b4 his vaccine to prevent fever n applied cooling patch immediately wen he is feeling abit warm. once inawhile he will sleep tru the nite but most of the time he still wakes up for his feed. a good milk bottle is veri impt as it lessen air intake which prevents gassy stomach n colick. in the begining,my boy veri colicky cuz of gas. i believe it was the bottle n my breastmilk. during confinement i had ginger n chicken soup. my boy poopoo got veri strong ginger smell n he cldnt fall asleep,like too much energy. its also veri impt to burb bb as tey take in air wen drinking n also wen tey cry. tey like to be lie on mummy chest so tis position veri gd to carry them sleep n also burb them. so wen he is not drinking,i constantly carry him tat way n pat him so he can sleep n brub anytime n easily. i also try all kinds of positions to help him burb cuz like wat another mummy said,every bb is unique so u gota trail n error for everyting to find the right one for ur baby. to entertain my super active boy,my family 'rotate shift' to play with him. we will put him on his rocker to watch cartoon,sing along vcd,talk to him wen he in rocker (he loves to sit in rocker). we also lie him dwn n give him some 'alone time' to discover himself n surrounding. we also exercise his hands n legs by moving it ard n patting. i also got him a playgym for him to learn to flip n touch. we also bring him for small walks aft meals n he will fall asleep. we also carry him walk ard the hse n spend afew minutes looking out the window. we constantly talk to him even wen we r not looking at him so tat he learn tings faster,now he knws wen we r scolding him,he will stop n keep quiet. he is also veri noisy n loud, always 'talking' to us,laughing n playing even wen we r not playing with him. i guess all the constant interaction helps him with his growth alot tats y he is so big n bubbly. oni ting is tat he doesnt sleep much in the day,oni short 30min naps but damn power cuz he will wake up smiling n playing.

personally,i stop breastfeeding aft a mnth cuz no milk,pump until nipples bleed. also stopped taking tonics or confinement food as it is affecting my boy. both my parents working n im a single mum so i had to look aft him by myself most of the time. i wld b lying if i say its a breeze looking aft a baby. during the 1st mnth,i lost pregnancy weight frm 58kg to 54kg,pre preganacy is 50kg. but feet n hip increase 1 size,bottoms n shoes all canot were liao. my bust frm 34B,now 36C. dnt seem to b losing anymore weight liao so i stop stressing myself abt it n embrace my new curves,gives bb 'cushion' wen i carry him haha... wen im feeling fedup n lost patience wen looking aft him,i take a short breather by walking away,look out the window,do my own tings or pass him to my family. it helps alot to constantly talk to him cuz u can also do ur own tings while he knws u r still ard. include him in ur chores. wen doin laundry,i put him in rocker n bring him with my. wen i keep the dry clothes,i put it on him so he gets excited n tinks tat im playing. wen im folding,i lightly land the open clothes on him to play peek-a-boo. he recognize bath time n loves it as since born,we do it the same way by telling him 'pompom loh' n pat his naked butt. he will get excited n instantly look ard to c tat we r goin to the same toilet. will let him slowly take in the tings we pass by so tat he will knw its his bath time. he will splash water n laugh,the whole time im talking to him,telling him tat im washing his hair etc.

i have alot more tings to share but tis post is getting SUPER long! Oops! hope these can help some mummies... feel free to pm me [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I remember my PD said that pediasure is a very good formula to "fatten" baby up.. i think if nothing else works, can try ?

My advice is, dun get stressed. If you think your baby is underweight, mine is only 5kg by 4 months. Her birth weight was 2.5kg. She also refused to drink last time and she could go up to 6 hours, not drinking. Everytime I fed her, she cried. I breastfed her n latched on.

So, I pumped my breastmilk out, and asked someone else to feed her instead. At first, she was rebellious too. You need to find the bottle nipple that she loves. I tried so many types and found one that she didn't refuse. Then, I started with 80ml every 3 hours, when she is already comfortable with the feeding, slowly increased to 90ml. Now she's drinking 150ml every 3.5-4hours, and she would cry for milk herself!

I read, they said, this is just a phase. Hope urs is also a phase.

Hi all

my boy is 13 months and he is only 7.7kg. He was borned 2.92kg so he is considered underweight. Although i thought he was eating well, i wonder what other kids of his age is eating everyday. Can anyone share?

Here's his schedule:

Morning: 180mls milk

Lunch: a big bowl of porridge with at least 2 meat/veg

2 hrs later: 90mls milk

Dinner: a big bowl of porridge with at least 2 meat/veg

Night: 180mls milk

Have i been under feeding him?

My baby boy is 7 months 3 weeks old, he weigh 8.5kg.

Previously, he was born 2.88kg (expected weight is 3.5kg and above) at 37 weeks induced due to abnormal decrease of movement from pregnancy 7months onwards (no oxygen and food given to him as his umbilicord had a dead knot at the end)

At 9 days old, his weight drop to 2.4kg due to mild jaundice causing his appetite to decrease. He drink only 10 - 30ml each time for 4 hours.

Change formula and do whatever we can. Ended had to force him to drink finish 60ml as PD warned us that if his continue he got to be admitted. Luckily, each time he manage to drink finish. So yeah, it started to be okay when he turns 3 months old he drink around 80ml - 120ml each time.

Dawn(7am): Milk 150 - 180ml milk

Morning(9am): Herbal Brown Rice porridge with milk

Brunch(11am): 80 - 100ml of milk + baby biscuit

Lunch(1pm):Herbal Brown Rice porridge with minced beef, potato, carrot and milk

Snack Time(3pm): Biscuit + 80 - 100ml milk

High Tea(5pm): Fresh Apple Puree/ Pear and banana puree (bottle)

Dinner(7pm): Herbal Brown Rice Porridge with Cod Fish, potato, pumpkin + milk

Supper(9pm): 180ml - 200ml milk

9pm - 7am: 3 times of milk 180ml each time

He can poop up to 4times a day. Btw both of my kids are on FM due to health issue I can't breastfeed my kids.

Hope this help and don't worry too much. ^^

Wow, your boy drinks a lot!! And that is excluding solids. Does your boy still take naps? Sometimes my boy can take nap up to 3+ hrs so by the time he wakes up, its like neither here nor there. I am also a FTWM so can only rely on the maid to feed him. sometimes feel like just quit my job and take over... haiz...

I think my boy's stomach cannot take so much food so frequently. Guess i will have to monitor some more. He was sick most of the time after 7 mos (mainly cough and lots of phelgm) so maybe that is one of the reasons.

Thanks very much for sharing. i will ask my maid to keep a full feeding record and see if i can squeeze in more food or milk.

My boy is 16 month and his weight is only 8.40kg. Recently he does not want to drink his milk and eat his porridge. Can anyone advise what should i do?

Thanks

Hi sharon,

I have similar problem.

My gal is 15 months, her weight is only 8.2 kg. She is very active n recently she refuse to eat (n doesn't seem to be hungry) for 3 days.sigh...I gives her pediasure since she was 1 but it doesn't fatten her. Really stress.

Hi,

My gal was born 2.65kg & now 21mths only ard 9.8kg.

She is underweight but healthy as seldom fall sick so I try not to think too much althou still a little concern abt her weight sometimes.....;p

She drinks 3 times milk everyday (210-240ml each time) & take 3 meals (bf bread, lunch & dinner-porridge).

Anyway, think it's in our genes as both me & my husband are skinny.....;p

Sharon / Yennie / sonafan : actually yr bb still quite ok compared to my gal who is older....;p

Maybe can try giving some multi-vitamins to build up their immunity.

Althou skinny but not necessary sicky is better than fat but always fall sick.

i totally agree with Ms Tan! Mine is also skinny, but very strong and active. Maybe coz she's not fat, that's why she can move very easily. My mom used to complain that mine is so small compared to her neighbor's son, who's 3 days younger than mine.

But now, she realized that, being small is not really a bad thing. Coz her neighbor's baby looks so quiet and is not as active as mine, even though hers is a boy and mine is a girl. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Btw, mine is 10 mths old and 7.1kg. She gained 500gr/month during first 6 mths, and subsequently 300gr/month. Our ped said, her growth is very normal.

For me, as long as she eats n drinks, I dun bother about her weight (at least try not to bother). Just stay away from old folks, coz their comments will make us stressed up. Old folks seem to love fat babies

Found this thread again. I saw my post! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] So mummies, what are your updates? My baby is a toddler now, still smaller than his peers but doesn't look skinny. He is very normal otherwise borderline to naughty hahahah... I'm less paranoid now and let him follow his pace. Fussy eater so just I just keep feeding him Appelin. True to experienced mummies advice, I just need to let go and enjoy his growing process. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

actually i m envious of mothers who got smaller size bbs. lighter to carry and donit to pay bus/ mrt fare so early. (not sarcastic but really is envious)..smaller bbs are more agile n active too.

too bad i gt a king kong who don't like to walk n always asking for carrying n apparently he eat n poo alot too which is like jiak liao bee.. really is carry until vomit blood n all the arm muscle also start to build up.

Back