9mth BABY how to teach her crawling?

Hi joanne, your doctor is very funny..

some babies may skip the crawling stage and proceed to walking stage.

is your baby showing any signs of walking or crawling soon?

For me, my son started crawling only after 8th months but he stood up 2 days after he started crawling...

My son never crawled. Instead, he slid around with his buttock touching the floor. As he sits alot, he is very focused & can finish few books & puzzles per sitting. He finally walked at 18mth

My gal crawled at a few mths old. She can't concentrate at 1 activity as long as her bro. Instead, she developed better fine motor skills earlier. She walked at 12mth

Guess all those milestone guides r just for ref. I'm no pd, so from a mum's pt of view, let ur child grow at his pace. Encourage them when necessary, but dun be over alarmed by casual remarks. But if it is professional advice, mb can seek 2nd opinion

Dear Mummy

Thanks for your advice. My gal turn 10mths today dont sit alot. No sign of crawling. But when you left her at the matress she is trying to turn and to the direction where her toys is. Is this sign of her learning to crawl already?

Hi Joanne,

Does your baby get sufficient tummy time? Babies who spend little time on their tummies during play time may reach certain milestones, specifically, turning over and crawling, much later. Unless she is skipping other milestones as well, this probably shouldn't be a cause for concern :)

***Check out our range of chic workwear at www.marjolie.net***

Joanne: why your gal dont sit alot?

did you give her a lot of opportunities to practice her sitting?

when you leave her at the mattress, do you put her on her tummy? is she able to lift her head?

maybe you should invest in a playmat cos mattress not very good for crawling.

when my son started to show signs of interest in things ard him, i find that putting him on the mattress makes it difficult for him

so i put him on the floor and he can at least move forward by pushing his feet on the floor.

he started crawling when he wanted to reach something desperately so i guess your gal is showing sign of learning to crawl..

so as parents we should try to help

when he s on his tummy, and kicking his leg, you can try to place your palm under his feet. so when he kick, he can move forward a little bit. that's how i teach my kids to crawl.

my boy is crawling backwards at 9 mths recently... no matter how i place my palm under his foot, he still insist on moving backwards towards me.. :<

you can try this:

put something that interest him a very short distance in front of him. short distance means that he can reach if he crawl two or three times forward. DO NOT take the item a bit further away when he started crawling forward to induce him to crawl a bit further. he might lose interest in it totally. just take something else to induce him again after he is done with the item. if the first time you do this does not work, just change the items until you find something that interest him. normally, toys will NOT interest him as much as non-toys such as your iphone or ipad or the remote control. best if the item make some sounds or have animation...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

in addition, you can crawl forward towards the item to show him how to do that.

i dont think crawling is something to be taught..bcoz it's a natural thing.. it's just that .. it's not the time yet for him/her to do so.. n some babies might skip d crawling part n just sit n stand..

oositioo, even though crawling cant really be taught, just like walking, it helps to do it in front of the baby. my boy started wriggling about on his tummy since 5mth, sometimes forwards, sometimes backwards. by 7mths he was crawling. Now 11months he is walking. i did demo to him crawling a few times. in fact his roll over was right after i demo to him!

it's fun to get down and active with your baby as well [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Thanks mummy for the precious advice. My gal turning One year old this week . No sign of crawling and walking todate. But she can sit longer.Try putting on the play mat but she just dont like tummy down. Will keep on trying everyday.

oh jaz, i try demonstrating crawling forward to my son. He stopped whatever he's doing and laugh at me... >_<

once again i tried placing my palms under his feet, he tried to move forward but he slide down on his hands. guess it takes time to learn to crawl forward. thanks for the advice!

Hi Joanne, not to worry too much. They will start crawl when she is ready. My girl started to crawl at 18 mths. My advice is that give her lots of tummy time. Helps her to learn the pattern of crawling. For example, help her move her hands n legs slowly to let her understand how to do it.

I tried to place my BB on bed and show her some toys at a distance to encourage her to come near me, it takes time for her to learn, she started to crawl at ard 10mths with tummy at first and can crawl real fast now.

Dear Joanne,

The only way to place her on her tummy and try to put a favourite toy in front of her. Her brain will "send" messages to her limbs that she will hv to move her limbs in order to get the toy.

initially, she will not like such position. Dun put her too long in this position. try a few times each day and in no time, she will crawl.

I have a nephew who is the same as your baby. He wasnt given sufficient tummy time. I told the mummy to use this method and it works after a mth or so. He start crawling when he was almost 11 months and on fours when he is almost one. I believe it's better be late than never. Dun give up!!!

Thank you. I learnt a lot from all of you. My gal is 7.5 months old and also hasn't started crawling. I'm trying to help her start [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

my son doesn't start crawling until he was 11mos. I tried almost everything since he was 8mos. Put him on daily tummy time starting when he was 2 weeks old, crawling myself to show him how, put a big blanket under him and dragged him on the floor while pulling the blanket, and putting his fav toy or myself in front to encourage him.

He suddenly started crawling forward toward a laptop keyboard cover, the most unlikely thing that he would go after! Dun worry, kids learn at their own pace :)

My boy is going to be 4 mths soon and my mum has let him started to turn and crawl when he is only 3 mth.. (for info, my boy is a heavy boy so I guess that is y my mum can start him early)

What she did was to help him turn first and yes, use something to block his legs so that he can start pushing and move forward. He will try to lift up his head. Initially it was only a few seconds. Now he can hold his head up for a while. Crawling should start early. Give him tummy time everyday for 20mins so that his neck and legs and hands get stronger.

They will need to get use to the hand and leg coordination as well.

My bb skipped crawling and went straight to standing/walking when he was abt 7mths old. Only discovered the fun in crawling around 2+...

Different bb have different learning milestones.

My boy is 7mth old and still doesn't know how to crawl, but he can manage the walker very well and go anywhere as he like [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

My mom said I never learnt to crawl but started walking once I turned one. Hee hee ;) No worries [IMG=http://singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Make sure you protect baby knees when they crawl. Their skin is tender and if it hurts them to crawl then they won't feel like crawling. That's what happened to my girl. Get some knee protection from Baby Kneez or Snazzy Baby.

Back