Advice need: walker vs jumper

june2012

Mothers, I need advice

I have a walker as gift, but hesitating to use it cos it is strongly not recommended, but my mother said otherwise, as we all grew up in walker. Any comments?

Should I get a jumper instead?

Each got its own strength. A jumperoo helps them strengthening their leg muscles while gaining more confidence in standing on their own feet. A walker helps them get the sense of moving around on their own. I have both for mine
happy.gif

Research says tht babies put in walkers, walked at a later age, plus walkers dont really allows baby much exercise & maybe dangerous. Now, a family may find a walker helpful IF there is only 1 person at home caring for baby, allows cargiver to do other chores. But overall, it is advised not to put baby in walker for too long.
Jumpers or jumperoos .. Those types that the seat can rotate 360deg & hanging toys are excellent. Baby can reach upwards, pull, grab, jump, turn.. And safe. The muscles needed when swimming too. Actually u can do some googling on these 2 issues. Infos are easily available.

I got a jumper as my baby really loves to jump, plus it is good for strengthening her legs. She outgrew it by about 10 months of age, though, and no longer enjoyed being put inside because she couldn't move around the house. She still plays with the toys from time to time, though.

My husband and I explain to the grandparents that Baby needs to learn how to fall down safely and develop her sense of balance, and the walker doesn't allow her to learn all of that. The walker has a longer lifespan. My baby is 14 months old and can walk quite fast now, but she is okay with sitting in the walker as she can still move around the house.

Back