Cutting of baby's fingernails

breezie80

Hi, would like to know when do u start to cut your baby's nails? and do u use nail clipper or scissors? seems very difficult to cut cos their fingers are soooo tiny!

hi,
me cut my boy's nails after he turn 1 mth old where i remove his mittens liao. use e curve scissors, much easier =)

hi,

As for me, I use the baby nail clipper. I usually cut my son's nails when my wife is breastfeeding him.

At least he won't move.

Hi, i always cut his nails the min my son falls asleep, this makes things much easier. I started when he was about slightly over a month old.

I cut his after his 1st mth..I use clippers..sometimes he is awake when i cut his nails..nowadays is my mum tat help him cut..

i started when i see his nails started to grow long! used a scissors to cut when he's asleep.

i have been cutting my ger's nail with clippers/scissors since she was 2 weeks... find that clippers is easier when she was smaller coz bb below 3 mths tends to clench their fist... after 3 mths, i used scissors.. i do it when she is awake ley.. coz my ger dun really struggle much and i wanted to explain to her wat mummy is doing.. she seems to understand so she let me cut.. hahaha

Hi breezie,

jus to share with u my hubby cut off part of my bb fingertips for 2 fingers while using baby clippers when she is awake.

Now we use bb scissors instead and cut when she is asleep..

My boy is about 12 weeks old... he is still on mittens.. many pple tell me is time to remove his mitten.. but everytime I leave him alone without mitten, and I have tried my best to cut his nail short, his face still get scratches... So the quesyion is mittens or scratches??

hi yiyi123,

usually by 3 mths, babies are curious and strong enough to grasp at things, esp hanging toys on the playgym, so dats y pple say it's time to remove the mittens.

u myt wanna continue watching him when his mittens are off so dat u can stop him when he's abt to scratch his face. or u can take his mittens off only when it's playtime at the playgym.

but nowadays the weather is so hot, i'm also likely to take off my baby's mittens soon. cos his hands get stinky due to the sweat buildup under the mittens.

yiyi
u should really take his mitten off already. its time for him to explore his hands n fingers. to minimise the scratches, after cutting his finger nails, remember to file them.

Joanne,
Yea... tried your idea by filing his nails as short as possible... will only let him wear mittens at night(sleeping). Seems to be working! Thanks for your advice!!

<font color="aa00aa">i actually cut my 1mth old girl and 3yo son's fingernails with a baby nail cutter.

what i actually do is cut the edge and then peel it off.

its fast and good!! ;)</font>

Best to do when bb is asleep (safer!). Cut nail quickly and decisively too - no need to be too short if u are going to trim them weekly.

Hi, would like to know when do u start to cut your baby's nails? and do u use nail clipper or scissors? seems very difficult to cut cos their fingers are soooo tiny!
I take the professional nail clippers for baby to make it-the American Red Cross, which with the soft curve edge and completely a set of stuffs for baby care. You can take the collection of nail clippers for baby on amazon to make a choice.

Back