Advice on how to use breast pump when we go back to work

reverie_island

I am thinking of buying PIS. I understand that if we pump at home, we can "clean" it with steriliser. How do we do the cleaning before and after pump when we are at work?

Hi reveria, i used a big lock n lock tupperware. Jus put 1 sterilising table n dump in ur breast pump each time after use.. Of course u hv to wash clean ur breast pump first.
happy.gif

oh, i bought my pis at the bb taka fair. the lady told me to buy a microwave-able bag. so that i can put water in and put in the accessories for sterilisation into the bag and put into the microwave and it will be sterilised.

i m using PIS & i need to pump 2x in office so i used a big lock n lock tupperware to store my 2sets of sterlise assembled pump acessories. In tis way, i dun need to do all e cleaning for my next used during office hours.

hi,
I'm not using PIS but avent manual pump. But I guess sterilising is generic for all pumps.

From day one when i went back to office, the only way i sterlised my pump is to soak in hot water for 5 minutes and that's it. I use the big lock and lock tupperware and put the boiling water inside and soak for 5 minutes. pour the water away and close the lid. It's air tight so i guess should be save/minimum contact with air-born bacteria and anyway our milk is sterile mah..

My girl has no problem at all. No diarhea or antyhing. My milk is still fresh. I TBF my girl for 16 months and now in the process of weaning her off
happy.gif

ermmm...

I dun sterilise my pump at work. I pump 2x at work and just rinse the covers with hot water and cap the exposed parts up.

Oh i will try the microwave-able bag from medela. each box 5 pieces and each piece can use up to 20x cost S$25. So i think quite affordable bah. for convenient wise, be it microwave or in lock & lock all seem troublesome. but no choice.

same as aria, i use avent manual.
after each use, i'll fill the container up with very hot water and put on the cover(lock & lock airtight) and leave the water in until the next use, which would have cooled by then. I'll then pour the water away and re-rinse it with hot water. kiasu.

so far baby no diahorrea too. happy kid. : )

I'll wash the parts with baby dish washing liquid with a small brush, rinse then soak in hot water in the lock lock container after each pump. The next day I will pour out the water and put the parts in a ziplock bag to bring to the nursing room to assemble and pump.

hey ladies,
i use to soak the pump in hot boiling water for more than 1 hour but i read it's not too good to do that as over time, the chemical will leak out. Avent is not BPA free, so better dun soak too long in hot water. Just to play safe lah..

Dear mothers or mothers-to-be, if you are looking for an experienced nanny, feel free to contact my mom by sending me a personal message.

My mom has a lot of experience taking care of children as well as newborn. willing to take care for day and night.

Hi,
when i have no pill, i Used baby friendly detergent to wash and then a final rinse with very hot water.. another option for u..
BTW
I have the full set of AVENT ISIS IQ DUO (hospital pump) retail $799 going $250

[email protected]

Dear ladies,

My friend is selling her Medela Pump in style advanced. She had only used it for 1 month as she was too tired taking care of her twins. Are you interested? She bought at $700+ but is willing to let go at $500. Not sure if negotiable though, but I can ask her. If you are interested, please let me know, ok? Thanks.

hi mummies,

just to add, fellow mummies shared with me this easy way, have been doing so for the past 2 months back at work and so far all's good with my ebm for bb
happy.gif

just put the breast pump in a lock&lock box and keep it in the fridge together with your ebm. only take out for next pump and then back to fridge. same theory as ebm is kept safe and sterile in fridge, so too would be our breast pump.

hopes this help all working mums intending to pump out back at work!

Just to share...
When I express in office, I wash my pumps with tap water and rinse with hot water. So far, my gal is okay with it.

i only sterilise before going to work and place then in a plastic container when i express once a day in office.

My gal is okay with it too.

Hi all,

I've 2 boxes (56tablets/box) of Pureen Sterilising Tablets
3302547.jpg
to let go. Got it from Kiddy Palace @ $8.10 each. However, I've used 4tablets at work. Now that I quit my job, I will not need it already since I can use my steamer at home.

I'm selling at $12 for 2boxes (56+52 tablets), free postage or self-collect at TPY Hub.
Interested please PM me.

Hi mummies,

Just to share. I jsut went back to work a week ago.
i bought a compact sterilizer. So i wash the parts and sterilize the parts and bottles if any at my desk like the usual.. =]

hi,

I also use a pigeon small sterilizer. So I just sterilized in office also. Initially i worried about having too much steam while it is sterilizing like my pigeon rapid bigger sterilizer, but the small one doesn't give much steam. hope this helps.
happy.gif

hi Tasha and wamandas,
may i know after sterilize the items, do you keep it inside the sterilizer till next pump or can bring out to store in lock lock box or ziploc? as i got the pigeon compact sterilizer, but not sufficient space to store all pump parts till next pump as i am sharing with a colleague. Thanks

Hi Bouncy,
I usually will bring it out and store inside a lock lock box. I have a lot of accessories... bottles, pump accessories.. so definitely need to have a box to keep them. So far, it is working fine with my baby.

hi Bouncy,

no prob, I am glad that you find my advice is helpful. Just send me message if u need any suggestion or advice on breastfeeding, I will see how best i can be your help.
happy.gif

i pump twice in office so i buy 2 small lock n lock tupperware to store my 2 sets of sterlised assembled pump acessories....i sterilise at home...after pumping i just wash wif tap water then rinse wif hot water and keep back in lock n lock...go home then wash...tis way, i dun need to do any sterilising during office hours.

I learned from the Australian breastfeeding association is that it is actually not necessary to sterilise your pump after every use. The reason is that breast milk is a living substance with live antibodies, enzymes etc. Hence, it will not grow bacteria unlike formula milk. Also, since the pump does not come into contact with baby's saliva, there is no risk of contamination, so no need to sterilise, unlike the teats/feeding bottles.

What you can do is to place the pump in the fridge at work (assuming there is a fridge) after the first pumping session, till your next pumping session. There is no need to wash it. Just pack it in a clean plastic bag and put place it in the fridge immediately after use. I have been doing this for the past 7 months while expressing at work and my baby has not fallen ill at all.

Really saves a lot of time and no need to feel guilty about not sterilising!

Somehow, I find that lactation consultants as well as the hospital staff in Singapore tend to over emphasise on sterilisation. A lot of them don't actually disseminate the correct information to new mothers and this creates a wide spread misconception that everything needs to be sterilised. Actually, only parts that come into contact with baby's saliva need to be sterilised.

moomin mama,
so u juz wash ur pumps with baby detergent n dry it?
how u store it after washing?
need rinse hot water before use?
thanks

Hi Mimosa,
Yes, I use baby detergent to wash the pump and parts and air dry it on bottle rack. Once dry, I will store it in a covered plastic container to prevent it from getting dirty/dusty till my next use. I do not rinse with hot water before use. I have not had any problems with this method.

I used to sterilise my pump once a week, but have not done for the last 6 months without any problem. I guess if it makes you feel better to sterilise once in a while, just go ahead and do so.

I will bring a sterlised pump from home in a lock & lock container. Once used, I will wash it with baby detergent and soak it with hot water for 5 minutes using the same container.

Back