Ashj06

Hi everyone,

I have a very bad experience with this confinement nanny called Janet Foo (Ipoh). Her number is +60 12 593 0298. Im a FTM and its my first time engaging a confinement nanny. The one im suppose to engaged was stuck in malaysia. Hope my review helps if you are engaging her and be prepared mentally beforehand.

She quoted me $3.2k and requested for a minimum $50 开工 red packet and $50 收工 red packet. She said that if she does well i can give her more. Ok, if she is good i dont mind giving her more. She was supposed to work for us 2 weeks and said her friend will come for the next 2 weeks (Im going to talk about this later).

When she arrived the first day, she didnt do much except cooking for my dinner and was sitting at her room using her phone. She was also bad mouthing her previous clients which was already a bad indicator but i wasnt aware yet of what is coming. She wasnt initiative unless you tell her to do something. First few days she didnt do a wipe down for my baby or change my baby clothes into pyjamas before sleep, didnt apply lotion as well. Both my husband and i didnt know it was necessary until a few days later when our friends came by and mentioned. We asked her about it then she started doing. Next she said she dont hand wash baby clothes. Only use washing machine. I was firm on this and she reluctantly agreed. (But i found out later part of my confinement that she secretly use washing machine to wash my baby clothes and lied to me). She also said she won't wash cloth diapers, in which we eventually agreed, so we used disposable diapers. Both my husband and i prefer baby to room with us, i thought this have lessen her workload by alot. But she dont even want to do the basic chores a confinement nanny does?? Thats plain lazy.

Thats not all. The food she cooked for me is always not served hot or warm. My vege was cold despite me telling her a number of times. And she doesnt even inform me when my meals are cooked. She pre fry the ginger slice and sesame oil and store them in containers. I dont know how long she has kept them. But its not suppose to be this way. The nanny is suppose to freshly fry the ginger slices. Not pre fry it and store for weeks. She doesnt listen even i told her i prefer my ginger freshly cooked. She neither cook for my husband nor wash his clothes/dishes. She only prepare breakfast lunch dinner for me. No tea break unless you request it from her. And you know what's best? She asked me if i want to eat hotdog or ham during first week. That's totally not confinement food at all. I realised she prefers taking the easy way out. And the soup? ... I doubt im drinking the correct soup. She has prepared the papaya fish soup wrongly. The colour was dark brown which was not supposed to be the case. She always cook the same soup, and another bland pork rib soup which taste like water. Always cooking repetitive meals for me and its not nice. Considering that im not too picky a eater, its really quite bad. My tingkat food im ordering now is so much better than hers!

And after one week, she told me very casually that her friend cant come already. Meaning we have to survive on our own for the rest of the 2 weeks. She didnt even apologize. But we were also abit relieved as i dont think we want her friend to work for us, she might be the same pattern. On the other hand, we also think that there isnt a friend to take over at the beginning. She probably has a 2 weeks gap and just took our job, giving us a false promise there is another friend to take over her.

What i really do not like about her bad attitude and laziness. She lied to me when I asked her why is the baby clothes in the washing machine. Her reply was that she is drying them!! My washer doesnt have drying function and i saw with my own eyes water coming out from the machine to wash the clothes. She even tell my mum that she will cook but my mum need to wash the dishes?? Also, she talks back often and is rude to my mum. When i ask her some things nicely, she gave me black face and talk in a nasty way. Thinking that we know nothing and she knows everything, not receptive of our opinions and concerns. I endured with it because she still handles my baby to some extent eg changing diapers and bottle feed her. My parents are easy going people but they were upset too.

I really do not want anyone to experience what i had. Its really a nightmare. Was really glad she didnt work the full 1 month. Just my luck to hire such a nanny. Now without her, we felt much happier and i dont think i will ever engage a confinement nanny again after this horrific experience.

Last edited:

Hi everyone,

I have a very bad experience with this confinement nanny called Janet Foo (Ipoh). Her number is +60 12 593 0298. Im a FTM and its my first time engaging a confinement nanny. The one im suppose to engaged was stuck in malaysia. Hope my review helps if you are engaging her and be prepared mentally beforehand.

She quoted me $3.2k and requested for a minimum $50 开工 red packet and $50 收工 red packet. She said that if she does well i can give her more. Ok, if she is good i dont mind giving her more. She was supposed to work for us 2 weeks and said her friend will come for the next 2 weeks (Im going to talk about this later).

When she arrived the first day, she didnt do much except cooking for my dinner and was sitting at her room using her phone. She was also bad mouthing her previous clients which was already a bad indicator but i wasnt aware yet of what is coming. She wasnt initiative unless you tell her to do something. First few days she didnt do a wipe down for my baby or change my baby clothes into pyjamas before sleep, didnt apply lotion as well. Both my husband and i didnt know it was necessary until a few days later when our friends came by and mentioned. We asked her about it then she started doing. Next she said she dont hand wash baby clothes. Only use washing machine. I was firm on this and she reluctantly agreed. (But i found out later part of my confinement that she secretly use washing machine to wash my baby clothes and lied to me) Both my husband and i prefer baby to room with us, i thought this have lessen her workload by alot. But she dont even want to do the basic chores a confinement nanny does?? Thats plain lazy.

Thats not all. The food she cooked for me is always not served hot or warm. My vege was cold despite me telling her a number of times. And she doesnt even inform me when my meals are cooked. She pre fry the ginger slice and sesame oil and store them in containers. I dont know how long she has kept them. But its not suppose to be this way. The nanny is suppose to freshly fry the ginger slices. Not pre fry it and store for weeks. She doesnt listen even i told her i prefer my ginger freshly cooked. She neither cook for my husband nor wash his clothes/dishes. She only prepare breakfast lunch dinner for me. No tea break unless you request it from her. And you know what's best? She asked me if i want to eat hotdog or ham during first week. That's totally not confinement food at all. I realised she prefers taking the easy way out. And the soup? ... I doubt im drinking the correct soup. She has prepared the papaya fish soup wrongly. The colour was dark brown which was not supposed to be the case. She always cook the same soup, and another bland pork rib soup which taste like water. Always cooking repetitive meals for me and its not nice. Considering that im not too picky a eater, its really quite bad. My tingkat food im ordering now is so much better than hers!

And after one week, she told me very casually that her friend cant come already. Meaning we have to survive on our own for the rest of the 2 weeks. She didnt even apologize. But we were also abit relieved as i dont think we want her friend to work for us, she might be the same pattern. On the other hand, we also think that there isnt a friend to take over at the beginning. She probably has a 2 weeks gap and just took our job, giving us a false promise there is another friend to take over her.

What i really do not like about her bad attitude and laziness. She lied to me when I asked her why is the baby clothes in the washing machine. Her reply was that she is drying them!! My washer doesnt have drying function and i saw with my own eyes water coming out from the machine to wash the clothes. She even tell my mum that she will cook but my mum need to wash the dishes?? Also, she talks back often and is rude to my mum. When i ask her some things nicely, she gave me black face and talk in a nasty way. Thinking that we know nothing and she knows everything, not receptive of our opinions and concerns. I endured with it because she still handles my baby to some extent eg changing diapers and bottle feed her. My parents are easy going people but they were upset too.

I really do not want anyone to experience what i had. Its really a nightmare. Was really glad she didnt work the full 1 month. Just my luck to hire such a nanny. Now without her, we felt much happier and i dont think i will ever engage a confinement nanny again after this horrific experience.

Oh dear... sorry to hear about your bad experience. Hope you didn't pay her for the last 2 weeks and that you are coping well now!

I think a lot is see luck lah, don't let this experience put you off your next. Maybe ask around for reviews first next time? I just finished my confinement, thank goodness very smooth. Decided to go with agency (I used confinement angels) cos don't wanna deal with the logistics.

My nanny (her name is Shik Hee) was super responsible and helpful. Can tell she had a lot of experience with newborns (showering, breast feeding, and etc) and she cooks super well. Sharing some pics of her confinement meals here.

Take care and hope you have a more pleasant experience in future!

mmexport1606740241590.jpgmmexport1606740244678.jpg

Very sorry to hear of your experience! I had Janet as my confinement nanny two times. The first was a really good experience for me as a first time mom. She took great care of the me and the baby and guided me on many things such as how to bathe and burp the baby. She cooked 3 meals a day and 2 times snack (morning and afternoon tea). I found her knowledgeable about Chinese herbs and learnt from her how to use them to enhance my milk supply and recover properly from childbirth.

I quickly booked her again when I found out I was pregnant with my second child. She is quite particular about hygiene and cleanliness, especially when it came to the baby and me. This time, we got her in before I was discharged from the hospital and she helped to do the marketing and to get all the stuff like herbs for cooking and bathing ready. It was seamless once we came home from the hospital. She worked well with my helper as well. In fact, when we lost our helper during the circuit breaker, she stepped up to help clean the house, with laundry for the family and preparing meals for the entire family (including my husband and older son). She also was very supportive of my breastfeeding and gave me a lot of tips to build my milk supply.
Would not hesitate to get her to help me again if I have another child. Every experience is different I suppose!

Very sorry to hear of your experience! I had Janet as my confinement nanny two times. The first was a really good experience for me as a first time mom. She took great care of the me and the baby and guided me on many things such as how to bathe and burp the baby. She cooked 3 meals a day and 2 times snack (morning and afternoon tea). I found her knowledgeable about Chinese herbs and learnt from her how to use them to enhance my milk supply and recover properly from childbirth.

I quickly booked her again when I found out I was pregnant with my second child. She is quite particular about hygiene and cleanliness, especially when it came to the baby and me. This time, we got her in before I was discharged from the hospital and she helped to do the marketing and to get all the stuff like herbs for cooking and bathing ready. It was seamless once we came home from the hospital. She worked well with my helper as well. In fact, when we lost our helper during the circuit breaker, she stepped up to help clean the house, with laundry for the family and preparing meals for the entire family (including my husband and older son). She also was very supportive of my breastfeeding and gave me a lot of tips to build my milk supply.
Would not hesitate to get her to help me again if I have another child. Every experience is different I suppose!

Maybe she see people? My house didn't had a helper and she already told me she won't hand wash baby clothes when she first came. She was reluctant to wash the dishes, strictly wash my dishes only which i guess its fine as she only need to takw good care of me and the baby. But she didnt do a good job at all. Eg she didnt wake up until we knock on her door a few times when our baby cried for a long time. When our baby cried persistently, she ask us to pat and soothe the baby. I saw some of her good reviews so im really puzzled if its the same person we are talking about. She was really horrible, a nightmare to us. We were so happy when she left.

Hi everyone,

When she arrived the first day, she didnt do much except cooking for my dinner and was sitting at her room using her phone. She was also bad mouthing her previous clients which was already a bad indicator but i wasnt aware yet of what is coming. She wasnt initiative unless you tell her to do something. First few days she didnt do a wipe down for my baby or change my baby clothes into pyjamas before sleep, didnt apply lotion as well. Both my husband and i didnt know it was necessary until a few days later when our friends came by and mentioned. We asked her about it then she started doing. Next she said she dont hand wash baby clothes. Only use washing machine. I was firm on this and she reluctantly agreed. (But i found out later part of my confinement that she secretly use washing machine to wash my baby clothes and lied to me) Both my husband and i prefer baby to room with us, i thought this have lessen her workload by alot. But she dont even want to do the basic chores a confinement nanny does?? Thats plain lazy.

Hi, this is Janet here. I saw your post and I feel that I need to speak my mind here as your accusations are very unfair and unjustified.

I have been a nanny for 10 years and nobody else has given me such a bad review except you. In fact everyone else’s reviews have been good.

I want to clarify, if a confinement nanny does not take good care of a baby for you, would you want to hire her?

You went back to your family’s Bugis home for confinement. The room I slept in was your mother’s storage room. Firstly, the conditions in the room was terrible. There was no air conditioning in the room. Hence, the windows were always open. Right downstairs where you were living was a Guanyin Temple where there was very strong incense smell coming into the room. That was the main reason why you decided to place your baby in your room.

Although the baby did not sleep in the same room with me, I still did my job. I fed the baby milk and changed her diapers when necessary.

A confinement nanny’s job is to take good care of both baby and mummy. I need to clarify that I am not supposed to be a domestic helper to your parents and your brother's family. It is understandable that they are expected to wash their own dishes.

Secondly, you said I didn’t change the baby’s pyjamas. Your baby’s clothes are all old clothes from your aunt. On the first day, I realised your baby’s pyjamas were too short. Your husband came into the room and realised the same too and decided not to change the pyjamas. It was only later that new pyjamas were bought.

Thirdly, regarding the washing machine, you asked me why I put baby clothes into the washing machine? I was told I had to handwash the baby's clothes (which I did) and I wanted to use the washing machine to spin dry the clothes. I did not mention anything about using your machine as a dryer.

Next, the issue on the pressure cooker. I clearly remembered on the first day, I used an electric pot to make red date tea. On the second day, your mother said that she needs to return it back to your aunt. When your husband heard it, he went back home to get the pressure cooker for me to use. You then end up saying I'm lazy for using a pressure cooker. Just to let you know, in my more than 10 years as a confinement nanny, it is the first time I have a mummy make me prepare red date tea at 4am in the wee hours of the morning.

I agreed to work for you for two weeks, and my friend will work for the next two weeks. When my friend heard that she needed to use cloth diapers and make red date tea in the wee hours of the morning, she didn't dare to come anymore.

Everything you wrote in your post was untrue! It was the direct opposite of whatever that happened over the two weeks.

Lastly, I'd like to end off with these six words in Chinese 人在做,天在看

Hi everyone, I would like to share that my experience with Janet Foo had not been particularly good as well even though she did help with the laundry and dishes and cooked for my husband. My husband offered to do the housework at the very start and made known that she just need to take care of the baby and me but she says that she wants to do all that (perhaps of previous bad review). However, it seems like she is unable to handle all and making me the punching bag.

I had a difficult child birth and needed the time to recuperate both mentally and physically and wasn't in a good place to play/take care of the baby in the first few weeks. Even so, I did feed the baby whenever I can, especially during times I know she needed to cook. When my mother-in-law came over and notice that my baby was crying very badly, she snidely proclaimed that nobody help her, usually the mummy will help to take care of the baby. Imagine my horror.

She is not pro breastfeeding at night. As new mother, it was difficult to establish milk supply at the initial stage. Every 3 hours, I would wake up to pump and store the milk in the fridge. The next morning, I noticed that the milk was untouched and requested that the baby be fed breastmilk at night. She said that the volume was too little and she will only feed when I have 30ml. When I finally had 30ml per pumping session, I noticed that the milk was still not fed. When I asked her why, she replied rudely that she need to sleep at night and she will only do that when I reached 60ml per pump. I felt gaslighted but I decided to let it slide as long as my baby was fed. In the end, baby was fed formula milk at night throughout the whole month even though my supply was good later on.

She does not like to wash pump parts and insisted that her "doctor" client has been keeping the pumps in aircon room and it is ok to only wash after a few pumping sessions. Being first time mum, I followed what she said but after talking to friends and relatives who came to visit, this is actually not ideal for newborns.

She is dishonest - We agreed on her salary and one month later she said that she will need an additional $300 because she will be coming in from Malaysia and needed money for quarantine at a hotel. Fair enough, we agreed. When it was nearer to my EDD, we contacted her again to prepare for work permit application and found out that she had been in Singapore for the past few years, what money she need for quarantine? On work permit, I heard from other mummies in group chat that confinement nannies should pay for their Social Visit Pass and asked her about it and she accused me of not wanting to apply work permit for her. Anyway, conclusion is many employers would pay for it out of goodwill as the application for work permit is usually done together. Through this episode, we found out that her previous employer had applied for work permit that covered most of her stay with us (don't know why) and hence we refused her request to extend her work pass beyond the time she will be with us.

She is not pro pets at home - We did ask if she is ok with cat at home before confirming to engage her, she said ok. When she's here, she blankly told me that I should get rid of my pet because I have a baby now. Later she also complain about her sensitive skin and blamed it on my pet.

She often insinuate that working for us is sh** - she reminisce often about the time she work for the client living in 4-storied landed property with 2 maids and regularly wonder aloud why she is not as fortunate as her nanny friend who always receive gold/angbaos that can cover her living expenses. Snide comments that air filters, vacuum cleaners, UV sterilizers we have must be very cheap (mind you, those are reputable brands with HEPA filters). Saying that she should be paid more.

She showed me videos of people committing suicide jumping off buildings and babies being tortured by cruel nannies even though I said that I don't want to watch them. She complained about my baby making noises at 6am in the morning at around 4 week old. With 10+ years experience, isn't it normal for babies to start making some noise as they grow older and shouldn't she be able to handle that?

I have been stewing over this for the past few months thinking if I should post a review. Throughout the confinement month, my husband kept telling me 忍一忍很快过去 and so I did for fear that the nanny will do something bad to my baby and also for the fact that I do not have any one else helping me during this period. However, seeing the clarification from Janet herself triggered me to finally write my piece because there is no other bad review except that from Ashj06. I felt that my first-month experience as a new mother had been blemished because of her. She also told my mum that I "cannot make it" and baby will be very 可怜 when she is gone. Happy to say that my baby and I have never been better without her. While I did need help and appreciate whatever she is paid to do, I cannot say that I enjoyed my time with her. She did not work out well in my case and I felt that I would not need to go through the stress and terminated her earlier if I had other options. Baby had heat rash because of the constant swaddling and her forgetting to on the aircon at times. She later blamed it on me for the time I put a blanket over my baby when I have been seeing her do the same all the time. She also looks at address before accepting jobs. There's a few occasions I caught her asking my husband what kind of house the next client staying at.

What is good about her is that she learns fast and is smart in finding solutions. For example, she will look through your cabinets to see what you have and use as necessary, diy elastic bands around mittens for baby's small hands.

For context, we are a pair of young couple staying in 2 bedroom condo with a cat. Nanny gets an aircon room with air filters and fan, common toilet that only she uses, new bed and mattress, ergonomic chair for feeding, access to cooking equipment such as pressure cooker, double boiler, air fryer, food processor etc. for easy cooking, free to use phone during work, privacy during rest time, afternoon break from after lunch to time to prepare dinner, no marketing duties, no need to follow along for baby's medical appointments. Upon her request, we also obliged to sending multiple appeals to help her obtain covid vaccine out of goodwill.

Last edited:
Hi,

Would like to add in because I also engaged her:
I DO NOT RECOMMEND JANET FOO YUET YING.

Agree on a few points by Ashj06
- Pre fried ginger slices stored in containers
- Basic chores: We found that the kitchen isn't kept neat and tidy after food preparation, and she would let me wash my own dishes. Ironically, I felt that she spent more time in the kitchen than with baby.

On the points by Angel2
-Dishonest, greedy: When we terminated her halfway through my confinement, she told us we had to pay her the full 28 days. Siao. We only paid her for the days she actually worked

Other points I would like to add in:
- First day here, asks us to buy this buy that, buy diaper changing station, buy blender etc etc, the way she speaks is very authorative as if our roles are flipped. Accordingly, she gets enraged when we give her feedback nicely.
- Very wasteful, when she came in she immediately used washing machine to wash the clothes she's wore over
- Asks us to buy more 0-3m baby clothes when there was enough to rotate (I think she wanted to accumulate more baby laundry before washing, my baby immediately outgrew the next week)
- Has RBF and speaks very loudly so the atmosphere at home wasn't exactly pleasant while she was staying here (My opinion only)

I had experienced the service of several nannies and I'm glad that I terminated her earlier. Heard from others she wanted to sue us to MOM.

Yes, she has her good points eg using elastic to tighten baby mittens/booties, resourceful and uses her own barang to supplement ours', food is decent, cares for baby, but I think I rather engage a nanny with a pleasant attitude and is proactive to get a happier and restful confinement. :)

Back