IVF/ICSI Support Group

Sometimes is better for the bad quality egg to fail at the starting stage rather than MC. I always remind myself this so as to pick myself up again. The ivf journey is difficult and you have done your very best! I realised diff govt hospitals will suggest differently after the failed cycle. I am with SGH and just completed 2 cycles.

May 2019 - G gonal only
12 eggs became 4 eggs (5-day blastocyst and with 2 grade C)
-failed my first cycle
-work stress

Sep 2020 - Menopur + growth hormone + blastgen
18 eggs became 7 eggs (5-day blastocyst and 1 grade C)
-took a year break from work to focus on ivf.
-Since feb, on a daily basis - soak my feet in hot herbal water, heat pad on my womb for blood circulation, eat supplements such as myo-folate, eat veg and fruits, fertility yoga for 20 mins, wear socks to sleep, no cold drinks, drink red dates and wolfberries water, drink pomegranate juice and maintain a positive mind. Also acupuncture and use castor oil pack on monthly basis.

Currently waiting for FET because my hormone level was very high for the last cycle. Dr suggested PGS if I failed the 2nd cycle. I think my 2nd cycle has improved which is why I want to share all these with you. I was as depressed as u too.

Maybe you can try methods to improve blood flow to uterus? My TCM sinseh advise that blood circulation is impt to produce good quality embryo.

If you think your current hospital is not suggesting effective solutions for you. You may want to change hospital soon? Age is catching up and we will not want to waste time. If I fail my 2nd cycle, I will consider to switch to private hospital.

BTW, I am 35 this year.

Jiayou!
Thank you for your tips. May I know which doctor are you seeing at SGH? I am waiting to talk to Dr Jessie at my next appt in mid Oct to see if she has any suggestions on what can be improved if I continue with her. If I don’t feel confident with her plans I’ll switch doc or hospital.

Work stress is also an issue for me. I am considering to take year break next year to focus on the next cycle.

I just failed my second IVF cycle. I feel so sad because I had a bit of hope this round would work. It was C grade blastocyst but thawed well and became fully expanded before the transfer. But yet, my AF came the night before blood test.

I feel so sad thinking I had killed 2 embryos so far already this year that can survive in petri dish or even in freezer but die inside me. Does anyone else ever feel this way?

Since 2018, I changed my diet, exercised, ate more protein, ate all the supplements, yet my egg quality is so poor. Although 10-11 eggs can be retrieved each time, I can’t grow beyond 1 or 2 C grade blastocyst for each cycle. I just have to expect this is fact of life of women’s ageing. I am 37. I also feel so guilty for not looking into IVF earlier.

Going to take a break until next year or when I feel ready to tackle my final cycle under government grant. Thinking also whether to change doctor (I have been under Dr Jessie Phoon for 1 failed SO IUI and the past 2 IVF cycles already). But I do like her and the KK Nurses too.

1st cycle, Feb 2020: Puregon
- 11 eggs became 1 day 5 (C) and 1 day 6 (C)
- fresh transfer of 1 day 5 = failed

2nd fresh cycle, Jul 2020: higher dose Puregon + Menopur
- 10 eggs became 1 day 5 (C)
- frozen transfer of 1 day 5 in Sept 2020 = failed

- 1 frozen day 6(C) left from first cycle

just wanted to release my emotions as I don’t have anyone else to talk to except my husband.

Take care. Continue to try naturally while waiting for your next IVF cycle. Perhaps it’s also good to seek second opinion to assess your body condition, if anything can be done to improve implantation.

Thank you for your tips. May I know which doctor are you seeing at SGH? I am waiting to talk to Dr Jessie at my next appt in mid Oct to see if she has any suggestions on what can be improved if I continue with her. If I don’t feel confident with her plans I’ll switch doc or hospital.

Work stress is also an issue for me. I am considering to take year break next year to focus on the next cycle.
Hi, when you said take a break from work meaning quit your job or take no pay leave for a year? I'm thinking about this too but quitting seems extreme. Every day nothing to do may not seems good too, IMO. And dont think my company have sabatical leave. Not sure how to plan ard.

I am with Dr Yu. I think work stress is a big impact for me. I totally have no mood to focus on my health.
Hi, when you said take a break from work meaning quit your job or take no pay leave for a year? I'm thinking about this too but quitting seems extreme. Every day nothing to do may not seems good too, IMO. And dont think my company have sabatical leave. Not sure how to plan ard.

I took one year no pay leave to just focus on improving my health for 6 months before moving to ivf. I do see results. Like what u say, if nothing to do everything also may not seems to be good. Hence, I took up online courses, pick up hobbies and spend time with my family. During my no pay leave, I managed to do yoga and exercise everyday. Prepare clean food for my meals and go acupuncture regularly. My time passes faster and more meaningfully.

I just failed my second IVF cycle. I feel so sad because I had a bit of hope this round would work. It was C grade blastocyst but thawed well and became fully expanded before the transfer. But yet, my AF came the night before blood test.

I feel so sad thinking I had killed 2 embryos so far already this year that can survive in petri dish or even in freezer but die inside me. Does anyone else ever feel this way?

Since 2018, I changed my diet, exercised, ate more protein, ate all the supplements, yet my egg quality is so poor. Although 10-11 eggs can be retrieved each time, I can’t grow beyond 1 or 2 C grade blastocyst for each cycle. I just have to expect this is fact of life of women’s ageing. I am 37. I also feel so guilty for not looking into IVF earlier.

Going to take a break until next year or when I feel ready to tackle my final cycle under government grant. Thinking also whether to change doctor (I have been under Dr Jessie Phoon for 1 failed SO IUI and the past 2 IVF cycles already). But I do like her and the KK Nurses too.

just wanted to release my emotions as I don’t have anyone else to talk to except my husband.

As cliché and as heartbreaking as it sounds, sometimes failing to get pregnant is better than suffering a miscarriage thereafter. We only know that the embryo grew well up to a point of day 2, 3 or 5 in the lab but remember, the embryo has to grow well for 40 weeks undergoing numerous transformations to become a baby. Early weeks of no implantation could be due to uterus issue or simply and most likely, the embryo is not viable beyond day 5, so don’t be so hard on yourself. I also only succeeded after 3 transfers.

It is good to take a break. I did so and my egg quality improved tremendously. Like others said, perhaps try tcm? It may just help. My tcm physician never allowed me to do ivf or any transfers unless there is a break of 6 mths in between so don’t work your body too hard as well. Yes, age is a factor but you yield a decent number of eggs, now is to focus on quality perhaps relook at the things you use or chemicals you get into contact with? The westerners are big on this and I did change out some products while ttcing. This ttc business is all about trial and error.

Most importantly, stay positive and happy. My tcm physician always tells me this. Staying happy helps with producing good eggs.

Hi do you know M’sia which fertility clinic we can get donor egg? Feel sad doctor said for those Low egg overian is best getdonor egg then the percentage is higher when doing IVF. This is my last resort !

I havent explored on this... This wil be my last resort as well..hope we dont need to go for this extend. for this moment pls dont give up... lets work hard & jia you together.

Dear ladies,

hope you find these links about egg donation in Malaysia and Singapore useful:

As cliché and as heartbreaking as it sounds, sometimes failing to get pregnant is better than suffering a miscarriage thereafter. We only know that the embryo grew well up to a point of day 2, 3 or 5 in the lab but remember, the embryo has to grow well for 40 weeks undergoing numerous transformations to become a baby. Early weeks of no implantation could be due to uterus issue or simply and most likely, the embryo is not viable beyond day 5, so don’t be so hard on yourself. I also only succeeded after 3 transfers.

It is good to take a break. I did so and my egg quality improved tremendously. Like others said, perhaps try tcm? It may just help. My tcm physician never allowed me to do ivf or any transfers unless there is a break of 6 mths in between so don’t work your body too hard as well. Yes, age is a factor but you yield a decent number of eggs, now is to focus on quality perhaps relook at the things you use or chemicals you get into contact with? The westerners are big on this and I did change out some products while ttcing. This ttc business is all about trial and error.

Most importantly, stay positive and happy. My tcm physician always tells me this. Staying happy helps with producing good eggs.
Which tcm are you with? Mind to share ?

Hi Ladies,

Need some help! Is this a negative for OPK? The test line seems to be lighter than the control line. Have been testing it for a few days, ytd was a faint line. But today the test line gets darker.

Attachments

• 9D0663E5-4597-47DB-A168-E952862CA383.jpeg
    9D0663E5-4597-47DB-A168-E952862CA383.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 195
Hi Ladies,

Need some help! Is this a negative for OPK? The test line seems to be lighter than the control line. Have been testing it for a few days, ytd was a faint line. But today the test line gets darker.

Need to be same as the control line or darker than it, test every 2-3 hrs to see if darken.

Hi ladies, I am new to this forum. Done 1 failed ivf cycle last year and just completed 2nd cycle, ER on Monday. 7 embryos fertilised and embryologist just called to say none develop to blastocysts on day 5 (which is today). They will continue to monitor till tomorrow. Am praying hard for all 7 to develop to day 6 blastocyst. Embryologist said slow development. I am quite disappointed as I heard day 5 quality is better. Can I check if anyone is in the same situation w me?

Hi ladies, I am new to this forum. Done 1 failed ivf cycle last year and just completed 2nd cycle, ER on Monday. 7 embryos fertilised and embryologist just called to say none develop to blastocysts on day 5 (which is today). They will continue to monitor till tomorrow. Am praying hard for all 7 to develop to day 6 blastocyst. Embryologist said slow development. I am quite disappointed as I heard day 5 quality is better. Can I check if anyone is in the same situation w me?
Stay strong!! pray hard they can survive well !!!

Don't be disheartened, I conceived with a day 6 embryo. As long as they survive, there is a chance!

I did too for my first fresh cycle but there was no embryo good enough to transfer. I was wondering does the tcm med really helps and do i wanna take tcm again for my 2nd fresh. Was worried the tcm med affect the effectiveness of the stimm drug.
I guess the ownership of decision has to come from you? I did for my second stimm and got good quality and quantity embryos, much improved from my first. Then again, it could be due to other factors, not just tcm

Hi ladies, mind if i join in?

Doing #2 IVF cycle & did ER on 2nd Oct (Fri) at KKH.. we managed to get 24 eggs... The biggest egg i knew was 21mm. I was on these since 17th Sept

Menopur 75 unit
Gonal F 150unit
Ganirelix 0.25mg

17th to 19th was on Ganirelix then adding the other 2.. I was on CD17 when the ER was done.. my cycle are usually 30- 32 days..

My prev cycle we gotten 17 eggs with only Gonal F 175 unit and Ganirelix. But only 1 blastocyst managed to be frozen. #1 IVF was a fail cycle. My OHSS became worst after the transfer.

This cycle after the ER (2nd Oct), i was slightly bloated but I manage to walk around, early frequent pee n poop and now feeling way better on 4th Oct with minimal bloating. Think the stim drugs plays a part as well.. they say I will have the ET on this coming Wednesday if all goes well.. for Day 5 Blastocyst.. I'm under Dr Shuling..

What i did different this cycle compared to #1 IVF
- No cold drinks since Early September
- Warm plain water intake mainly
- Reduce drastically on sodas/sugar drinks
- Avoid foods that I'm allergic to (Peanuts, Prawns, Durian)
- Taking in pregnancy milk formula daily
- Folic Acid + Metformin 500mg BD (for my DM)
- Total break from work to avoid unwanted stress
- Hot Packs on womb post ER at night

Anxiously waiting for the call from the embryologist.. Hoping a day 5 Blastocyst.. hehe

Last edited:
Hi ladies,
I am new here.
Thank you for all your sharing.
Hi Azasha, we are rather close in our cycles.

Currently on my #2 fresh cycle, 2WW and terribly bloated. Probably post transfer OHSS or just since effects from crinone gel, anyone in the same boat with good recommendations for relief? I called the clinic and the nurse mentioned that as long as pain is bearable, wait till BT.

Hi! I experienced chemical pregnancy twice (once is Dec 2019 - Transferred 1 Blastocyst and currently experiencing another chemical pregnancy- Transferred 2 blastocysts). Not sure is it because of chromosome abnormalities or my body too weak to hold the pregnancy.

Planning to go for tcm to build up my body before trying for the next FET because i always have cold limbs...Any recommendations for tcm please?
You can try Ying Chuan Chinese Medical Hall at Jurong East.

Hi ladies,
I am new here.
Thank you for all your sharing.
Hi Azasha, we are rather close in our cycles.

Currently on my #2 fresh cycle, 2WW and terribly bloated. Probably post transfer OHSS or just since effects from crinone gel, anyone in the same boat with good recommendations for relief? I called the clinic and the nurse mentioned that as long as pain is bearable, wait till BT.
Hi dear!

How many eggs did u manage to retrieve? I was advice to eat egg whites, be it in form of hard boil or omelette. (My husband ate the yolks, he didnt complaint at all.. lol) also had tofu in soups. I drank ard 1.5L daily since the ER and recalled using the hot rubber pack which i applied on the day after the procedure during bedtime.. today is 2 days post my ER and I'm feeling good.. about 30% bloated compared to my prev cycle which was worse that i cant pee/poop without pain. I learn that going to toilet frequently reduces the pain when peeing. Since our ovaries are still swollen, keeping urine more than 5hrs will really hurt when trying to pee..

Eating chicken breasts/strips, be it boiled or pan fried also good source of protein which helps with the bloating.. I would advice drinking more warm water or red date drinks.. avoid cold beverages for the moment.. my OT Nurse did mentioned sometime OHSS may occur after 1-2 weeks post ER but its better to reduce it quickly right after an ER was made as there is no medications to help once OHSS has advanced. Hope everything goes well for u hunn!

Hi dear!

How many eggs did u manage to retrieve? I was advice to eat egg whites, be it in form of hard boil or omelette. (My husband ate the yolks, he didnt complaint at all.. lol) also had tofu in soups. I drank ard 1.5L daily since the ER and recalled using the hot rubber pack which i applied on the day after the procedure during bedtime.. today is 2 days post my ER and I'm feeling good.. about 30% bloated compared to my prev cycle which was worse that i cant pee/poop without pain. I learn that going to toilet frequently reduces the pain when peeing. Since our ovaries are still swollen, keeping urine more than 5hrs will really hurt when trying to pee..

Eating chicken breasts/strips, be it boiled or pan fried also good source of protein which helps with the bloating.. I would advice drinking more warm water or red date drinks.. avoid cold beverages for the moment.. my OT Nurse did mentioned sometime OHSS may occur after 1-2 weeks post ER but its better to reduce it quickly right after an ER was made as there is no medications to help once OHSS has advanced. Hope everything goes well for u hunn!
Thank you dear ! 18 eggs retrieved, not super many, but still so bloated and had a couple of mornings of heartburns that lasted about 5-10mins. Actually got better before ET then it came back about a week later, maybe I slacked off on my hydration. That was really helpful, will start eggs and tofu!

I am also under Dr Jessie Phoon! 1st fresh transfer was a miss, currently awaiting for my menses to come to proceed for 1st frozen cycle. Can I ask how come your 2 cycles are 5 months apart? As my 1st fresh failed last month, but Dr Jessie Phoon said i can proceed with the next once my menses come, is that too soon?

I just started doing acupuncture last week, and will be going once every week.

hello all, can I check for FET, is the transfer done on +/- 1 day crucial? I've a black out date which I am afraid my transfer will fall on that day :(

Thank you dear ! 18 eggs retrieved, not super many, but still so bloated and had a couple of mornings of heartburns that lasted about 5-10mins. Actually got better before ET then it came back about a week later, maybe I slacked off on my hydration. That was really helpful, will start eggs and tofu!
18 is still a great number! Was it your 1st cycle? I waa told by my Dr that 1st cycle is a trial cycle to see and gauge the amt of drugs needed to react to our body response.. which usually cause slightly over stimulation on us and bad bloating occurs.. I also learn to be slightly more active in moving around the house this cycle compared to the prev ones.. goddness i was like lying in bed most of the time last cycle.. but not this cycle.. hehe.. u tend to feel nausea when drinking too much... So i took in small portion throughout the day and peed like 7 8 times.. sure hunn!! U can take those soy bean drinks from MR BEAN 25% sugar drink hot or those beancurds from them too.. i had these regularly.. take care!

hello all, can I check for FET, is the transfer done on +/- 1 day crucial? I've a black out date which I am afraid my transfer will fall on that day :(
I would say yes it does. The embryo has to be grown to the same number of days as the uterine lining is exposed to progesterone (given as vaginal suppositories in an FET cycle). Additionally I would think there are optimal stages in embryo growth which an embryo should be transferred into the uterus for best chance of implantation. That’s why doctors usually do 2, 3 or 5 days transfers.

18 is still a great number! Was it your 1st cycle? I waa told by my Dr that 1st cycle is a trial cycle to see and gauge the amt of drugs needed to react to our body response.. which usually cause slightly over stimulation on us and bad bloating occurs.. I also learn to be slightly more active in moving around the house this cycle compared to the prev ones.. goddness i was like lying in bed most of the time last cycle.. but not this cycle.. hehe.. u tend to feel nausea when drinking too much... So i took in small portion throughout the day and peed like 7 8 times.. sure hunn!! U can take those soy bean drinks from MR BEAN 25% sugar drink hot or those beancurds from them too.. i had these regularly.. take care!
This is my second fresh cycle. Conceived on my first fresh cycle 4 years ago. Trying for No2. I can’t recall having any symptoms the last time, had 14 eggs the last time. This time round, I actually went back to work for 2 days after ET before I rested. Started my lazing in bed when bloatedness came back. I will continue on the whites and protein diet. I like soy bean so will definitely give that a go too. You take care too!

Hi Dear, im not sure on that but u can actually email or call ur IVF dept to update them on these important dates for them to avoid. At least, they can do a proper calculator or arrangement for u. Which hospital are u with?

Hihi can share which TCM did you succeed with? Thanks :)

Hi ladies, can I check after 1 failed transfer, when and how many months before you do your next transfer? Did you take a break in between?

Hi ladies, can I check after 1 failed transfer, when and how many months before you do your next transfer? Did you take a break in between?
Between first and second was 9 months; second and third was a year. Then again most people don’t take such long breaks... :)

Between first and second was 9 months; second and third was a year. Then again most people don’t take such long breaks... :)
Wow that is really long. I just failed my 1st fresh last month. But the dr said i can proceed with the next (frozen) cycle on my next menses. Is that too soon?

Wow that is really long. I just failed my 1st fresh last month. But the dr said i can proceed with the next (frozen) cycle on my next menses. Is that too soon?
Depends on you? If you think you are ready, go for it. Alternatively maybe you may also wish to wait for another month to let your body recover better? There is no right or wrong timing in ivf. Anytime when you are ready!

Depends on you? If you think you are ready, go for it. Alternatively maybe you may also wish to wait for another month to let your body recover better? There is no right or wrong timing in ivf. Anytime when you are ready!

thanks will do that! gonna prep my body for this month as well!

Hi ladies, any idea what food should we continue to eat after ET? I’m currently drinking red bean soup, raspberry leaf tea daily. Alternate days will drink soya bean milk and eating eggs daily. Should i stop drinking raspberry leaf tea after my ET?

Hi ladies, any idea what food should we continue to eat after ET? I’m currently drinking red bean soup, raspberry leaf tea daily. Alternate days will drink soya bean milk and eating eggs daily. Should i stop drinking raspberry leaf tea after my ET?
It probably depends on your body. I avoided cold and cooling stuff, but ate pretty much everything else as per normal, also included kimchi as I wanted to spice things up. Some people might avoid spicy too. Took more eggs and electrolyte drink due to bloatedness. Had some lime juice for nausea. BT positive!

I would personally stop raspberry leaf tea after ET. Usually I changed from raspberry leaf tea to red date tea after CD10. Did you do pgd on your embryos in the end?

It probably depends on your body. I avoided cold and cooling stuff, but ate pretty much everything else as per normal, also included kimchi as I wanted to spice things up. Some people might avoid spicy too. Took more eggs and electrolyte drink due to bloatedness. Had some lime juice for nausea. BT positive!
Oh okay, will be positive! Thanks!

Back