IVF with PGD (Pre-genetic diagnosis)

I understand that biopsy cost increases with number of embryos that goes for testing.

But Probe cost is one-time ah? Nurse said my probe expires in 3 months. If it expire then I have to pay for probe to be made again. So I not sure can batch or not. Does you or milo’s probe expire?
I don’t have info yet will only get to ask more when I go for my review. In my case, I still have a few frozen embryos not sure if can test together.

I don’t have info yet will only get to ask more when I go for my review. In my case, I still have a few frozen embryos not sure if can test together.

Oh, right. Sorry I keep asking! Lol! Would be so helpful if you can update us after your review.

Any other questions I would be glad to help the best I can.

Oh, right. Sorry I keep asking! Lol! Would be so helpful if you can update us after your review.

Any other questions I would be glad to help the best I can.
No worries, will share when I have more info. You going for a fresh cycle soon? No harm asking the possibility of doing 2 fresh or if you have the option of deciding after 1 fresh depending on yield.

No worries, will share when I have more info. You going for a fresh cycle soon? No harm asking the possibility of doing 2 fresh or if you have the option of deciding after 1 fresh depending on yield.

You’re right. If can I will do 2 fresh as there are many odds against me.

I’m waiting for nurse to revert after she finish double checking some stuff with lab, then will proceed.

Also I wonder if they would allow us to start stimms before probe is finished. Will bring that up on my next call with her.

Is it cheaper in terms of PGD, to do another fresh first?

Pgd can only use once, so doing fresh cycle u cannot freeze ur embryos to do 2nd fresh then do pgd together with 1st frozen batch.

Pgd is doing on fresh batch before doing fresh/frozen cycle

I understand that biopsy cost increases with number of embryos that goes for testing.

But Probe cost is one-time ah? Nurse said my probe expires in 3 months. If it expire then I have to pay for probe to be made again. So I not sure can batch or not. Does you or milo’s probe expire?
Yes the kit has expiry. But my nurse told me 1 year expiry

Pgd can only use once, so doing fresh cycle u cannot freeze ur embryos to do 2nd fresh then do pgd together with 1st frozen batch.

Pgd is doing on fresh batch before doing fresh/frozen cycle

You mean that the kit can only be used once?

It seems to be very common for ppl overseas to do back to back retrievals for testing though. I’ll ask around how they did it. Did the hosp tell you why not allowed?

You mean that the kit can only be used once?

It seems to be very common for ppl overseas to do back to back retrievals for testing though. I’ll ask around how they did it. Did the hosp tell you why not allowed?

Ok the kit will hv expiry within 2 months of opening. I talked to one of the forum member here who also used PGD this is what she reply me

Attachments

• 461A2CF1-C10C-401F-A278-1B28B39DAB7F.jpeg
    461A2CF1-C10C-401F-A278-1B28B39DAB7F.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Ok the kit will hv expiry within 2 months of opening. I talked to one of the forum member here who also used PGD this is what she reply me

Wah can we summon happynods here? Because I also have BT. Did she succeed?

lady, you mentioned that we cannot batch. This you ask the doc/nurse already?

I have gotten reply from overseas ppl. Here is how they do back-to-back retrievals.

1. Start Round 1, grow to D5, take biopsy, freeze embryos
2. Rest one cycle (don't rest also can)
3. Start Round 2, same as above. Doc to adjust dosage based on Round 1
4. Send biopsies from both rounds to test
5. Wait for results (about 2 weeks)

So embryo doesn't go through multiple freeze or thaw.
Therefore, to them, it's common to do multiple fresh cycle and do one time PGT.

Honestly I don't understand this kit expiry date. I have never heard of expiry in foreign countries. x_x;

Last edited:
I'm quite upset nuh rejected my requests to do pgs as well.

Sorry, pull up old conversation. On Saturday I went for IVF Seminar by Prof Wong, organised by CHR. A member of the public actually asked if she can do both PGD and PGS. He mentioned can leh. Why was yours rejected?

Sorry, pull up old conversation. On Saturday I went for IVF Seminar by Prof Wong, organised by CHR. A member of the public actually asked if she can do both PGD and PGS. He mentioned can leh. Why was yours rejected?
No idea . But there's also a forum member who said once diagnose with genetic issue PGS is out of scope? Probably I have no proven record of chromosomnal issue , as for my last pregnancy both babies have no chromosomal issue, only genetic for 1 of them

Wah can we summon happynods here? Because I also have BT. Did she succeed?

lady, you mentioned that we cannot batch. This you ask the doc/nurse already?

I have gotten reply from overseas ppl. Here is how they do back-to-back retrievals.

Honestly I don't understand this kit expiry date. I have never heard of expiry in foreign countries. x_x;

You can pm happynods see if she got reply. What I heard from her she failed her pgd test twice with her embryos (if not wrong) and went adoption route.

I only went through 1 fresh with PGD so no comment for 2nd fresh. But from what happynods reply through private pm it seem that the kit can only use once only. Every fresh cycle have to purchase a new set. They dun do accumulating of embryos from fresh to test together. She from NUH

You can pm happynods see if she got reply. What I heard from her she failed her pgd test twice with her embryos (if not wrong) and went adoption route.

I only went through 1 fresh with PGD so no comment for 2nd fresh. But from what happynods reply through private pm it seem that the kit can only use once only. Every fresh cycle have to purchase a new set. They dun do accumulating of embryos from fresh to test together. She from NUH
Hihi, happy to see that you were successful in your journey. Can share more on your experience with PGD?

Thank you! Managed to connect. I’ll check further!

E.g reasons for PGD, yield and outcome from the cycle, any tips/areas to look out for in terms of preparation or working with the gynae/medical provider etc.

Thanks in advance!

I can tell u mine, my hubby sperm is oligozoospermia (abnormal sperm) plus Low sperm count so doc recommended us to Ivf with pgd. at nuh, we need to pay deposit for the kit so that nuh can order for us. Took 2 months +/- to arrive. Nuh will inform when we start the ivf from there. After that stimulatation started. I only extract 8 eggs. After extraction and fertilise. only 3 embryos left. So the lab grew to day 3 and sent them to lab for PGD. It took 1 day for the result to come out. Only 2 are eligible for the transfer.

So I do fresh transfer of 1 embryo and freeze my only embryo. Payment have to make for the balance of pgd (all by cash) on the spot on the day of transfer. Of cos after 2ww result is negative. Total for PGD I paid like 9k+-(amount roughly around there) for biopsy (depend on how many embryos is being pgd (mine only 3 embryos, for biopsy 5 embryos and below is $1000), pgd kit and misc.

Ladies, if first IVF round got no embryos to test (touch wood! I am just wondering), then you still pay the PGD or will refund?

Ladies, if first IVF round got no embryos to test (touch wood! I am just wondering), then you still pay the PGD or will refund?

You can still use it for ur second round. The PGD result won’t be release to you unless u have paid

I can tell u mine, my hubby sperm is oligozoospermia (abnormal sperm) plus Low sperm count so doc recommended us to Ivf with pgd. at nuh, we need to pay deposit for the kit so that nuh can order for us. Took 2 months +/- to arrive. Nuh will inform when we start the ivf from there. After that stimulatation started. I only extract 8 eggs. After extraction and fertilise. only 3 embryos left. So the lab grew to day 3 and sent them to lab for PGD. It took 1 day for the result to come out. Only 2 are eligible for the transfer.

So I do fresh transfer of 1 embryo and freeze my only embryo. Payment have to make for the balance of pgd (all by cash) on the spot on the day of transfer. Of cos after 2ww result is negative. Total for PGD I paid like 9k+-(amount roughly around there) for biopsy (depend on how many embryos is being pgd (mine only 3 embryos, for biopsy 5 embryos and below is $1000), pgd kit and misc.
I see...so you bfp from the frozen embryo?

Update you all. There is no such process in SG for PGD. Lol
I really hope they'd do better for us here in Singapore. Prof Wong said in IVF briefing, PGD has been around for 10 years. But from what I see, there hasn't had much breakthrough other than changing protocols after first IVF fail.

The result was out already but I can only see it on my next appt w gynae who is currently on leave. I think I only have 2 good ones for ET based on what the nurse said. But not sure if they include the carrier. Anyway I think the outcome of the test is not as optimal as expected

How's everything for you Wen?

How's everything for you Wen?
Hi astiva
Collected my results yday and was shock. 2 good ones which have no signs of the defective genes, the rest were all carriers. Hence none of them seem to have issue. However my gynae is not convinced. As my past 2 pregnancies have issues. She's not an expert in this field though so I may just see the geneticist to reconfirm the interpretation again

Hi astiva
Collected my results yday and was shock. 2 good ones which have no signs of the defective genes, the rest were all carriers. Hence none of them seem to have issue. However my gynae is not convinced. As my past 2 pregnancies have issues. She's not an expert in this field though so I may just see the geneticist to reconfirm the interpretation again

Wow, congrats! Totally understand your disbelief, but I feel happy for you!

Thanks! I believe carrier shld be ok Cos me n hub are both carriers! Starting my FET soon! Hopefully all ok for tmr scan to proceed.

Carrier is ok lah~ Carrier is still healthy and lead a normal life! We do PGD one cannot be choosy hahaha

Interesting videos which inform patients that PGS (Preimplantation Genetic Screening), also known as PGT-A (Preimplantation Genetic Testing - Aneuploidy) is absolutely unnecessary for egg donation cycles:

Sweetie, this is the PGD thread. We have genetic conditions and we have no choice other than do PGD with IVF to avoid life threatening issues with offspring. In other words, it is medically necessary and we didn't choose to do PGD because we felt like. it >_<

Last edited:
Sweetie, this is the PGD thread. We have genetic conditions and we have no choice other than do PGD with IVF to avoid life threatening issues with offspring. In other words, it is medically necessary and we didn't choose to do PGD because we felt like. it >_<
Hi,
I’ve done pgd last year. Not sure if I’ll be doing it again. Can you add me to telegram chat group please? My handle is @pops27.

Thank you!

Am glad to find this thread on PGD.
I'm current waiting for my PGD result. Any of you can advise me how long will it take for the results to be concluded?

I have been ttc-ing for years, have pcos and hence went down the route of ivf. Have lost 4 babies.. 2 of which have genetic problems. After many rounds of DNA testing, my hub and I are found to be carrier of a genetic defect. Very rare defect and suspected as Sensenbrenner syndrome.

I went through labor twice , suffering physical and emotional pain without able to hold a healthy baby in my arm. I asked my gynae to request PGS and PGD testings at the same time, but was rejected by NUH. If that's allowed it probably will save us from further heartbreaks on failure and miscarriages. That's really something I'm very worried abt as I have unknown miscarriage at week 9 before.

My ivf is also at CARE SGH. I gain a lot of comfort and support from the nurses there.

Dear Azukin, I'm sorry your to hear your story. My friend always tell me we will definitely have a healthy baby one day, just a matter of time and a challenging journey. Who is your gynae? I'm under dr Yu's care.

Dear chemiyogi, wish u best of luck and hopefully all sweats and challenges prove worthwhile for a healthy baby.
Hi,
I know it’s been a year since this post, just wondering did you manage to get a successful outcome with your ivf + pgd?

i stopped coming to this forum after my first failed ivf + pgd. My second transfer in July was also a failure.

Hi,
I know it’s been a year since this post, just wondering did you manage to get a successful outcome with your ivf + pgd?

i stopped coming to this forum after my first failed ivf + pgd. My second transfer in July was also a failure.

I’m sorry for your failed cycles. I’m currently 25 weeks along from my second transfer. What did dr say about the two failed transfers? Do u have anymore embabies left?

Congratulations!! Did u do ivf at nuh?

doc said both were considered successful cycles in terms of the no. Of eggs retrieved and quality of blastocysts lol.

no i have no more blastocysts left. May I ask why did you have to do pgd?

i just terminated a pregnancy last week because baby had barts hydrops. It was a natural conception hence cld not do preimplantation screening.

Hi,

Hi sorry to hear about your loss. Subsequent to PGD I have a failed transfer but succeeded in my second transfer. Now at week 25. Still constantly worried but we have to keep our faith strong .
Btw after my failed transfer I changed Tcm and I felt a difference after few months of treatment. Keep our faith high sis!

Congratulations!! Did u do ivf at nuh?

doc said both were considered successful cycles in terms of the no. Of eggs retrieved and quality of blastocysts lol.

no i have no more blastocysts left. May I ask why did you have to do pgd?

i just terminated a pregnancy last week because baby had barts hydrops. It was a natural conception hence cld not do preimplantation screening.

Yes mine is at NUH. I have to do PGD due to a genetic condition - high chance of MC or Down's if conceive naturally.
I'm sorry for your loss. What's your next step? I just googled about barts hydrops. Have you and hubby tested for thalassemia? This journey is not easy but jiayou!

Hi sorry to hear about your loss. Subsequent to PGD I have a failed transfer but succeeded in my second transfer. Now at week 25. Still constantly worried but we have to keep our faith strong .
Btw after my failed transfer I changed Tcm and I felt a difference after few months of treatment. Keep our faith high sis!

We conceived about same time! Hang in there, you are more than halfway there already. Jiayou to you too!

Yes mine is at NUH. I have to do PGD due to a genetic condition - high chance of MC or Down's if conceive naturally.
I'm sorry for your loss. What's your next step? I just googled about barts hydrops. Have you and hubby tested for thalassemia? This journey is not easy but jiayou!

We conceived about same time! Hang in there, you are more than halfway there already. Jiayou to you too!
Yep yep I noticed too! Jia you and good luck!! Stay safe n happy

Hi, anyone here doing PGS / PGD due to (i) Advanced Maternal Age, (ii) Recurrent Miscarriages, (iii) Low ovarian reserves, and (iv) Repeated IVF failures? Please kindly share your story. I am a bit skeptical of PGD helping to improve IVF success rates because it does nothing to improve egg or embryo quality. I think that it is purely diagnostic and not at all therapeutic.

A parable to illustrate this point is as follows:

A farmer has a hen that has laid 10 eggs. Out of these 10 eggs, only 3 are fertilized and will hatch chicks. The remaining 7 are unfertilized and will eventually go rotten. So the farmer uses a lighted candle in a dark room to look for the presence of a developing chick embryo within each egg, and identifies the 3 fertilized eggs. The lighted candle in this story is equivalent to PGS / PGD. Can using the lighted candle increase the number of fertilized eggs and hatched chicks? The obvious answer is no.

So without PGD, patients may have to do more transfers, but eventually, their good embryo will be transferred one day. So the final cumulative chances of success remain the same? Please give your opinion.

Here are some interesting videos that discuss such issues:

Hi,

You are right. PGD and PGS are diagnostic. You use PGD when you know what specific gene mutation you are looking. Most of us that use PGD are carriers of some genetic deletions/mutations etc. so that's the only way to go forward without risking having to terminate a pregnancy due to baby inheriting the genetic issues from the parents.

As for PGS, I guess you get to save the effort of transferring problematic embyros and then have it not implant or m/c later on. Using your analogy, it's definitely better than doing 3 transfers than 10 transfers where the 7 transfers will unlikely not work out. As for the false positives of pgs, i can't really comment on that. I know some ppl do it because they have many viable embryos. But if you don't have many then it's a decision you have to make if you want to take a gamble or risk having nothing to transfer.

Thanks for your advice. I heard that false positives during PGS may arise because of mosaic embryos that contain a mixture of genetically abnormal and normal cells. There have been many reports that these mosaic embryos can give rise to normal healthy births. So the cumulative chance of success may not increase by PGS and may even decrease by excluding "mosaic" embryos, that could have developed into a healthy normal baby. As seen in the attached diagram of a blastocyst stage embryo, the ICM gives rise to the embryo, while the TE gives rise to the placenta and yolk sac. Testing a few cells from the TE only gives you a probability about what's going on in the ICM. An embryo with abnormal TE but normal ICM most likely will still make a healthy baby.
I see. Anyway PGS/PGD is not allowed in Singapore unless you have medical justifications. Do you have any medical reasons to consider it? The only person I know who did PGS did her ivf overseas and she had a lot of viable embyros so it was like why not do it.

Hi,
My doc just informed us that we have to go through IVF + PGD.
I am schedule for the genetic counselling end of this month. (I’m currently with KKH)
can I ask roughly how much is the cost for PGD as a subsidy patient?what are the procedures and usually how long will it takes?

Hi,
My doc just informed us that we have to go through IVF + PGD.
I am schedule for the genetic counselling end of this month. (I’m currently with KKH)
can I ask roughly how much is the cost for PGD as a subsidy patient?what are the procedures and usually how long will it takes?

PGD has no subsidy. And the cost depend on the test kit your dr order for you.

PGD test kit: Should be upwards of 4k
Embryo freezing: few hundreds
Embryo biopsy: Depends on number of embryos sent for testing. 2k++
IVF: About 10k, can offset with govt grant and Medisave

PGD do not hv subsidy. Pay cash in full before placing order. My test kit 7k plus,pgd charges 1k as i hv less than 5 embryos being tested, biopsy cost $2600. These price is quoted on year 2017. So total around 10k. Ivf treatment is separate charges. Mine 14k before govt subsidies & medisave deduction. Pgd kit took around estimate 2 mth plus to arrive

Hi,
Thank you all for replying. Can I also check for PGD, can use medisave? Understand that we have to pay in cash first but can it be claim back from Medisave?

Back