IVF/ICSI Support Group

Just had an appointment with HH Tan , he gave me 2 options. Keyhole surgery or straight to IVF. I decided to go with keyhole surgery but like regret leh. What are the success rate of unblocking the tube?
I was at the same crossroad as you - after failing IVF for a few times, THH realised that the main cause could be my blocked tube (I only have one remaining tube after removing the other due to ectopic) and I was given 2 options: Remove the remaining tube or unblock it. I chose to remove as it would always be a hindrance to my goal of having a kid. No point having the unhealthy tube but no kids.

Hi all,

Can i check usually what is conveyed during kkh ivf counselling?

In additional, since i am not getting any medicine to supress period, i guess i am on short protocol? Dr tan did not mention anything to do?

So what we do is called kkh ivf centre on 1st day of the menses and next day to go for scan? So last min able to get a slot?

Thanks. Then the ivf will then give the necessary injections and medication
Usually for 1st round, how many days will they ask you back for scan? It will be usually in the morning? Or can be afternoon also? Half day leave will suffice right? Hope the queuing wont be too long.

And anyone know usually hows the block out period for cny for kkh is like?

Thanks!

I was at the same crossroad as you - after failing IVF for a few times, THH realised that the main cause could be my blocked tube (I only have one remaining tube after removing the other due to ectopic) and I was given 2 options: Remove the remaining tube or unblock it. I chose to remove as it would always be a hindrance to my goal of having a kid. No point having the unhealthy tube but no kids.
Thats what he shared with me when my DH said go straight to IVF.. HH Tan said go straight to IVF doesnt mean 100% will strike! If failed, the blow will be bigger cause the hardwork before that is really hard.

So once u removed, your IVF succeded? So what is the reason for failing?

Hi Rine.

I had both blocked tubes and initially KKH suggested I go for ivf straight and not waste time unblocking the tubes. Different doctors will have different views.

For my case I thought I can try to unblock the tubes first so I did (at TMC) but only one side managed to get unblocked. Tried naturally for 6 months but no news so went ahead with ivf and did another hsg test and was told the tube was blocked again.
I think I also developed some adhesions from the surgery. So now each time before ET, I do a Hysteroscopy to ensure the adhesions didn’t grow that will hinder implantation of the embryo.

Blocked tubes may or may not have impact on ivf. Some blocked tubes can have fluid in it (hydrosalpinx) which will also affect implantation.
Thks for sharing my dear

Thats what he shared with me when my DH said go straight to IVF.. HH Tan said go straight to IVF doesnt mean 100% will strike! If failed, the blow will be bigger cause the hardwork before that is really hard.

So once u removed, your IVF succeded? So what is the reason for failing?
Yup, IVF is not 100% guaranteed then again, isn't it your responsibility to ensure that your body condition (womb, etc) is conducive for IVF? The ladies here all put in hard work to ensure their health is in tip-top condition so as to have higher success (TCM, supplements etc) So I would say your worry of failure is redundant cos it's part & parcel of IVF.

Yup, I got pregnant the month after I removed my remaining bad tube. My boy is 4 years old now.

The bad tube gives off toxic fluid (also known as hydrosalphinx) which made embryo implantation impossible.

Yup, IVF is not 100% guaranteed then again, isn't it your responsibility to ensure that your body condition (womb, etc) is conducive for IVF? The ladies here all put in hard work to ensure their health is in tip-top condition so as to have higher success (TCM, supplements etc) So I would say your worry of failure is redundant cos it's part & parcel of IVF.

Yup, I got pregnant the month after I removed my remaining bad tube. My boy is 4 years old now.

The bad tube gives off toxic fluid (also known as hydrosalphinx) which made embryo implantation impossible.
Thanks for sharing my dear. I'll proceed with laparoscopy 1st since I wanted my IVF (if till then nothing) in Jan 2019. At least will know what happen to the block tube also. Just pray and hope for the best

Hi Towkayneo

Blocked tubes will impact IVF? Do I need to be concern? Cos I am starting my IVF soon and it’s cos I likely have blocked tubes or partial blocked tubes (cos HSG result is not entirely conclusive). But my doctor did not highlight to me that block tubes may impact the outcome of IVF.

Hi Towkayneo

Blocked tubes will impact IVF? Do I need to be concern? Cos I am starting my IVF soon and it’s cos I likely have blocked tubes or partial blocked tubes (cos HSG result is not entirely conclusive). But my doctor did not highlight to me that block tubes may impact the outcome of IVF.
Hi FunShine, my gynae also said that 1 of my tube are blocked and did mentioned that it is too general to conclude base on HSG , if I want to go for laparoscopy will be good to know more in depth of why its block and maybe can unblock it. But of course nothing is confirmed but like what Towkayneo mentioned, she only gets to know her condition upon removing.

Hi FunShine, my gynae also said that 1 of my tube are blocked and did mentioned that it is too general to conclude base on HSG , if I want to go for laparoscopy will be good to know more in depth of why its block and maybe can unblock it. But of course nothing is confirmed but like what Towkayneo mentioned, she only gets to know her condition upon removing.

Cos I’m alrdy 37 yr old. I discussed with my gynae and we decided to just do IVF. Cos even if surgery to unblock the tubes, the chances still not High due to my hub’s SA. It’s a bit worrying that blocked tubes can prevent embryos to implant. Now I am just waiting for my menses to come to start this process. Perhaps, since nothing is confirm. I should just not stress and go with it? T_T

Hi Towkayneo

Hi Funshine, yup, blocked tubes may be a concern due to hydrosalphinx. You can read: https://academic.oup.com/humrep/article/14/11/2762/859741

I guess the doc may be having a "let try and wait and see" mentality first? Not sure what is the extent of your blockage though. So long as they don't give out toxic fluid, implantation is possible.

Cos I’m alrdy 37 yr old. I discussed with my gynae and we decided to just do IVF. Cos even if surgery to unblock the tubes, the chances still not High due to my hub’s SA. It’s a bit worrying that blocked tubes can prevent embryos to implant. Now I am just waiting for my menses to come to start this process. Perhaps, since nothing is confirm. I should just not stress and go with it? T_T
Actually, to target one party's problem is better than having 2 parties' problems. I heard that SA can be improved by supplements and good habits like not wearing tight underwear, bathe in cold water, no smoking etc. Some swear by TCM.

Yup, IVF is trial and error, just go for it with an open mind. You don't know what's in store for you. It could be a pleasant surprise :)

Actually, to target one party's problem is better than having 2 parties' problems. I heard that SA can be improved by supplements and good habits like not wearing tight underwear, bathe in cold water, no smoking etc. Some swear by TCM.

Yup, IVF is trial and error, just go for it with an open mind. You don't know what's in store for you. It could be a pleasant surprise :)

Yeah my hubby stopped smoking alrdy. So hopefully the quality will improved by egg collection.

Thanks towkayneo!! I decided to just chill and not worry about so many things. Many a times it may be due to stress so as much as possible I will keep an open mind and just go with it. Thanks for your encouragement!! :)

Yeah my hubby stopped smoking alrdy. So hopefully the quality will improved by egg collection.

Thanks towkayneo!! I decided to just chill and not worry about so many things. Many a times it may be due to stress so as much as possible I will keep an open mind and just go with it. Thanks for your encouragement!! :)

Jia you! Yup, stay zen. Many a time those who got very stressed before and during 2WW do not get the result they want. Jia you :)

I just received a call from KKH IVF to schedule my counselling on 25 October so i guess my blood test turn out ok, the nurse inform me doctor will put me on November cycle, asking when my menses will come in Nov but Oct haven even arrived leh. Roughly how much time and latest my November cycle must arrive b4 i can meet to do the ET? I asked the nurse KKH IVF centre will be closed from 1 to 24 December and 12-30 January for CNY.

I just received a call from KKH IVF to schedule my counselling on 25 October so i guess my blood test turn out ok, the nurse inform me doctor will put me on November cycle, asking when my menses will come in Nov but Oct haven even arrived leh. Roughly how much time and latest my November cycle must arrive b4 i can meet to do the ET? I asked the nurse KKH IVF centre will be closed from 1 to 24 December and 12-30 January for CNY.
as long as your menses arrive by 30 November.

Hello ladies.. Been a silent reader lately. Congrats to those who were bfp.
I would like to ask when do I need to start to increase my protein intake or what shd I eat besides those multivitamins.
I had my day 2 scan today was told I can start the injection today as well. So I'm thinking what shd I in hoping a good quality eggs.

Hi ladies, I have failed 3 ivf for the past 2 to 3 yr and I did my last cycle, resulted no egg been retrieve, on my 2nd scan my follicle already grow to 24.5 and doctor request ET there after.And I did went for 2nd opinion after that and dr recommend egg donor too.I was depressed! My AMH is 6.7. My tcm, i still have chanced but the dr that i see always recommend for egg donor due to poor quality egg and age( reaching 40 in Jan). Any sister with succeed story to share and recommendation of doctor that handle over 40 with high succeed rate?

Hello ladies.. Been a silent reader lately. Congrats to those who were bfp.
I would like to ask when do I need to start to increase my protein intake or what shd I eat besides those multivitamins.
I had my day 2 scan today was told I can start the injection today as well. So I'm thinking what shd I in hoping a good quality eggs.
You can actually start to take in hardboiled eggs or any high protein food now.

Some said hard boiled eggs would have the nutrients "cooked away" though?

Also, anyone consume tian yuan xiang chicken essence during IVF treatment? If so, which box did you ladies go for?

Sorry to be so ignorant. How does high protein help? Cos my doc only told me to eat coq10 and folic acid. On my own I’m taking women multivit, EPO and omega. She also told me to stop all tcm so I haven’t been taking tcm Med since I started coq10.

Hi ladies, I would like to know after doing endoscratch, when can we start taking pills to induce my menses? I plan to do my FET next month. Isn’t doing endoscratch will have higher chance in implantation?

Sorry to be so ignorant. How does high protein help? Cos my doc only told me to eat coq10 and folic acid. On my own I’m taking women multivit, EPO and omega. She also told me to stop all tcm so I haven’t been taking tcm Med since I started coq10.
Your own eggs feed on protein for growth. KKH always tell us to eat eggs for protein.
Folic acid is to prevent spina bifida in babies if you BFP. Coq10 is an antioxidant to prevent damage to cells.
https://babybloomers.co/foods-enhance-ivf-success/

Hi towkayneo,
Abt many eggs a day?
Thanks
You can go 2 eggs* per day now, kiasu, a week before embryo retrieval, 3-4 eggs per day. After embryo retrieval can slow down liao or stop. That's what I do. But after embryo retrieval has to drink lotsa of water to prevent OHSS, depending on how many eggs are retrieved. The higher the number of eggs retrieved, the higher the chances of OHSS.

*can omit the yolks if you are afraid of cholesterol.

Some said hard boiled eggs would have the nutrients "cooked away" though?

Also, anyone consume tian yuan xiang chicken essence during IVF treatment? If so, which box did you ladies go for?
Who say? In fact, fully cooked eggs give the highest amount of protein as compared to soft eggs, scrambled eggs etc cos your body cannot digest non-cooked eggs. Must tell that "some say" hard facts.

Quote: In fact, one study found that the human body could use 91% of the protein in cooked eggs, compared to only 51% in raw eggs (4).

This change in digestibility is thought to occur because heat causes structural changes in the egg proteins.

Source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eating-healthy-eggs#section2

Who say? In fact, fully cooked eggs give the highest amount of protein as compared to soft eggs, scrambled eggs etc cos your body cannot digest non-cooked eggs. Must tell that "some say" hard facts.

Quote: In fact, one study found that the human body could use 91% of the protein in cooked eggs, compared to only 51% in raw eggs (4).

This change in digestibility is thought to occur because heat causes structural changes in the egg proteins.

Source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eating-healthy-eggs#section2

Ha thanks for clarifying! Appreciate that! Luckily I only like hard boiled egg whites!

Any idea on which bottles chicken essence is best for results pls?

Ha thanks for clarifying! Appreciate that! Luckily I only like hard boiled egg whites!

Any idea on which bottles chicken essence is best for results pls?
I know of some sisters who made their own chicken essence and they swore by it. Other than that, it would be the usual Eu Yan Sang and Brands? If you have to drink it during 2WW, please make sure there is no American Ginseng or Cordyceps, cos they may interfere with implantation.

You can go 2 eggs* per day now, kiasu, a week before embryo retrieval, 3-4 eggs per day. After embryo retrieval can slow down liao or stop. That's what I do. But after embryo retrieval has to drink lotsa of water to prevent OHSS, depending on how many eggs are retrieved. The higher the number of eggs retrieved, the higher the chances of OHSS.

*can omit the yolks if you are afraid of cholesterol.
Thanks towkayneo.
I will follow as what u mention. I'm so scare of ohss.. It's a nightmare.. I saw some are asking abt ckn essence. Can drink too? Is it necessary to get the than Xiang yuan?

I have unopened IVF medicines to resell at discounted prices. As Dr reduced my meds, so not needed anymore. Pm me if you need Progynova, Estofem or Proluton (injection). Thanks.

Thanks towkayneo.
I will follow as what u mention. I'm so scare of ohss.. It's a nightmare.. I saw some are asking abt ckn essence. Can drink too? Is it necessary to get the than Xiang yuan?

Yes Ohss is a nightmare. For those who are prone to ohss, other than drinking isotonic drinks, pls also take lotsa of proteins. Protein absorbs water so u will experience less bloating. I was taking 4-6 egg whites and protein shakes during the ER period.

Hi Jo777, tis is my 2nd fresh. currently at 8dp5dt. I'm actually quite surprise to have all made it to blast The previous round of the 8 fertilised, only 2 made it to day 5. but their growth is only at Day 3 or 4.

Maybe better preparations this time round? I hope lots of baby dust go your way! When is ur BT?

Yes Ohss is a nightmare. For those who are prone to ohss, other than drinking isotonic drinks, pls also take lotsa of proteins. Protein absorbs water so u will experience less bloating. I was taking 4-6 egg whites and protein shakes during the ER period.
Hi jo777,
Wat kind of protein shake u took? Sorry for asking so much as I had ohss before. I was warded for a Mth for it. So I'm trying to eat more protein this rd.

Thanks towkayneo.
you can drink, but for myself, I didn't drink it. Believer of balanced diet.

Why do you think it's necessary to get that particular brand? Just curious.

I just checked with kkh ivf, for december the block out period is 1st to 24th december. But holiday one, it seems that they never state. Does they work on holiday?
Jan block out they say that management say therr might be changes.

I think it is really quite hard, cause my day one will be 2/12, 30/12 and 27/1.

30/12 is so close to PH and 27/1 is so close to cny. Usually my period is quite accurate.

Last edited:
I'm not sure to buy those gnc or those protein powder that hospital use. Anyway I went n buy a tin of protein powder which the hospital use. Shd be safer ba.

I'm not sure to buy those gnc or those protein powder that hospital use. Anyway I went n buy a tin of protein powder which the hospital use. Shd be safer ba.

I went gnc to purchase their bottled choco n strawberry shakes. And i drinked them chilled. I alrdy felt so terrible when i wasnt even warded. To be warded for a mth must hv been so tough. How many follicles did u extract when u were warded?

I went gnc to purchase their bottled choco n strawberry shakes. And i drinked them chilled. I alrdy felt so terrible when i wasnt even warded. To be warded for a mth must hv been so tough. How many follicles did u extract when u were warded?
I can't remembered how many. Only remembered I had only 4 that could make it. N that dr transferred 2. I guess it was twins as well therefore it worsen the ohss. I was very bloated like a 3 Mths pregnant before the transfer. I told the dr.. N he said it's OK. My original dr was on leave when i did Er n ET. So this rd I make sure my dr is ard to so my Er as well as ET.

On Proteins intake, 2 eggs / day will be good during the first stage of Stimulation.
However once there are more follicles (20 or more), we will need to progressively ramp up our proteins based on the no. of follicles.

For fresh transfer, the Overidrel jab (synthetic hcg) will further result in the possibility of developing OHSS.
This is the key reason why some doctors will recommend ladies who potentially have chances of developing OHSS
to opt for FET instead of fresh cycle transfer.

I was over stimulated with more than 60 follicles for 2 of my stims cycle.
During the peak, I was taking about 10-12 egg whites daily. Also took Immunocal proteins shake to help boost the proteins intake as its not easy to consume so many egg whites. Ensure Milk is another good option. Its loaded with Proteins but it's fatty too.

http://funggohpharma.com.sg/immunocal.php

Not too sure but i was told by my gynae to take protein shakes too. Guess ohss risk overrides any potential chemical risks
Yup, to your preference, then again, natural protein like eggs and drinking litres of water and isotonic drinks have the same effect, sans chemicals.

Good luck!

Hi ladies, I would like to know after doing endoscratch, when can we start taking pills to induce my menses? I plan to do my FET next month. Isn’t doing endoscratch will have higher chance in implantation?

Hi summer_kids, I did an endoscratch in September, currently waiting for FET.

For endoscratch for FET, it's done in the month preceding the ET. So in my case, when my September menses came, I started taking Mercilon, and then about 3/4 way of the Sept cycle, I did the endoscratch. When you stop Mercilon after taking it for 21 days, your menses will come on its own. So for me, when my Oct menses came, I called CHR and the nurses told me to start taking Progynova (to build up the lining of the uterus) on around the 5th/6th day of my Oct cycle.

Hope it helps with giving you an idea of what the timeline looks like :)

According to my doctor, endoscratches have been somewhat shown to improve fresh transfers. She said in my case for FET, it's not really proven, but no harm to give it a shot. The endoscratch is supposed to trigger a healing response in the uterus areas that were scratched, encouraging it to accept the embryo more readily. So that's what my doctor said. But when I read online, there are some studies/websites that say that endoscratches also encourage implantation rates in FET, and not just for fresh transfers.

Back