ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH VIGINAL BIRTH AFTER C-SECTION (S)?

Hi all,

Sharing a demoralising story....

In my week 35,
when at work, experienced pinkish mucus discharged and some bleeding @ 10am. Call clinic, was advised to go for check....
Dr checked and suspect it's show but no dilation. Was worried that have pre-mature delivery. Dr was positive cos BB is already of good size @ 2.5kg and in fact he was saying it will be easier for VBAC and show means cervix softening to prepare for delivery.

Went home and the wait continues....

Next day, near to midnight, experienced pain in upper abodminal. The pain comes and goes, suspected contractions but experienced diarrhoea at the same time, puzzled....!!!!

Endure for another day till near midnight, decided to call Dr emergency line. Dr was good, he returned call and suspected me having gastrorentitis n spasim, advised me to go on antacid to relieve the pain.

It works and save me the trouble and $$ to go emergency.

the wait goes on..... weekly review continues...

Week 38 review, Dr measured BB Head Circumference at 36 and est weight at 3.3kg. Was anxious about the big day therefore keep checking with Dr whether everything conditioned for VBAC. DR commented that everything seems fine.

Week 39 - has been feeling weird the whole day at work...tension in lower abdominal feel stronger as the hour passes...
Contractions start around midnight when I go to bed. Hubby was sleeping soundly when I endure through every contractions at 15 mins interval.
(p.s. have mutually agreed with hubby that shall only go hospital only at the last min when cannot endure cos we felt we have been sabotage previously for going to the hospital too early in 2nd preg and was kept in bed and dont help my dilation).

5am - hubby realised I'm in pain and was concerned. Tell him I'm in Contractions and he was asked whether I want to go hospital. Assured him I am coping well with it.

6am - experienced bowel urge, pass motion and realised there are thick muscus discharged.

7am - very sure this is the D Day. Get up to start packing children's stuff for school and also to prepare to park them with relatives in case end up in long labour.

730am - hubby want to send me to hospital after sending my elder boys to school. Contractions still bearable at 10 min interval. Dismiss hubby to go work to settle / handover his duties. Was too tired from sleepless night, dozed off in between contractions.

10+am - called clinic. Was advised to go down clinic by lunch. Inform hubby and advised him to finish his stuff as contractions still bearable at 10 min intervals. Continue to catch my sleep to build up stamina.

11+am - showered and do final packing to prepare to go hospital. Now contractions at 5 min intervals.

1230pm - arrived at gynae's clinic, go through checked and 3 cm dilated. Confirmed in labour, was sent to delivery observation ward.

130pm - put on CTG to monitor. Nurse manager came around to counsel on risks on VBAC ESP VBA2C, somehow feel that they are trying to scare you and deter u from trying. Determine on trying and with the support from hubby, ignore all these negative factors.

5pm - Dr came around to check. Contractions still not at peak, so keep monitoring. Having gastric pain for not eating (nurse dont allow as they felt I am at risk for C-Section), seek Dr advise and he say why not...light snack was served later.

6pm - feels tired after striped to bed for so long, as to remove and take a walk around the ward. All nurses very concerned, keep asking me to go back to bed to monitor and emphasize that I am VBA2C, very high risk, they dont want to risk. No choice - go back to be striped again.

7pm - contractions get stronger and nearer after my walk....checked dilation - 4cm, disheartening, but at least its progressing.

9pm - experienced some pain in left abdominal near to my scar. Has been wondering should inform nurses and Dr, finally decided to tell. Dr came around to check. No sharp pain when he depressed on the area - rule out pain from womb rupture. More likely to be ligament pain. Continue to monitor...

Was wondering whether should go on epidural as Dr mentioned that it will rule out the pain from contractions and womb rupture.

10pm - Finally decide to go on epidural on the safe side.

11pm - Anesthatic came, asked the usual questions and also why go on VBA2C. Re-emphasized on the risk again. Some how felt that they are all not supportive of VBA2C, all are kind of making me dismiss the idea...felt I have come so far, so better endure on. Pain goes off, contractions continue to be intensed.

12am - Dr came around, dilation still at 4cm. Dr advised to break water bag, hopefully can speed up the process.
Asked for snack but was rejected again. Tell them Dr say can eat light snack, finally get me some biscuit and milo but hardly can eat cos gastric pain is giving me the nausea.

3am - feeling pain in the lower abdominal near scar with the moves from the nurses when they change my mat. Have not been able to move lower body due to epidural but was insisted by Nurses to move my butt!!! Guessed may have hurt my ligament during the moves.

330am - pain get intense, can feel pain in between contractions, wonder what's happening inside...kind of getting worry...nurses increase the epidural slightly but dont want to increase further as she say may cause nausea.

4am - feeling pain and nausea at the same time. Throw up eventually (not likely to be epidural but from not eating!!!). Pain gets intense in the upper abdominal - not sure if gastric pain or other pain? Worry about what is happening inside the womb....

415pm - in unbearable pain in upper abdominal, feel worry as I am already on epidural. Called for Dr to review. Dr checked still at 4cm dilation. Concluded that no progressing further and since I am in great pain, it will be safer to go for C-Section.

430am - was sent to OT, still feeling pain when Dr pinched on abdominal. Epidural not working, Dr advised to go on GA since I am in great pain and he dont want to take the risk.

Hubby all dressed up to enter OT but was stop last min since going on GA. Feel sorry for hubby.

440am - baby is finally born, weighting at 3.9kg.
DR spoken to hubby after ops - summary > scar looks ok but the womb is stretching that's y I am feeling the pain. Possible reason for unsuccessful dilation is because BB is in OP position ie back of BB head facing back of mummy, that's why BB cannot decend to assist in dilation. Size of BB is not the possible factor.

Conclusion, I failed in my VBA2C.

Feeling sad when I heard SIL recalling happily about seeing BB came out from Birth Tunnel...but at least I have tried, tho I am unsuccesssful.... Didnt achieve my birth plan also, cos both myself and hubby didnt see the birth of my BB....so sad !!!

But nevertheless, I am still relieved that both myself and BB are safe and sound.

Anyway, thanks for all who concerns about my VBA2C journey.

I wished all who are trying for VBAC for successful VBAC, do bear in mind to endure despite all the negative remarks from people around you. Most important of all, get the support of your hubby, it will help you get through...nevertheless, do ensure that both mother and BB are safe and sound.

Hope to hear more of successful VBAC stories...

SP
sorry to hear about your VBA2C journey... however, most impt is for you and baby to be safe...
i'm now waiting for contraction and dilation. if by 12 april, there's still no action, i'll have to go thru c-sect again...
but what's for impt for me now is that baby is safe...

jtho,

Yes, it is a great relief to know BB is safe and sound and time flies, it's been 2 weeks since I went thru the birth process... and now BB is becoming more fleshy....

What is the est HC of your BB now? Is it below 37 cm and the face of BB facing your back now? If these are positive, then likely you stand a better chance of successful VBAC than me!

Wished you success in your journey to VBAC! Enjoy the birth process.

Share your story then!

Hi there SP,

I'm so sorry to hear that your VBA2C ended in another c-section. My heart really goes out to you & you were really brave for sticking it out for so long! I only hope I will have your stamina when my time comes. I'm now thinking if all this "HypnoBirthing" philosophy & the idea of hiring a doula will help...though it's costly!

My main fear of the risk of uterine rupture & the safety of the baby. I wonder if that fear will get to me first & cause me to give up on the VBA2C. It sure won't help if all the staff at the hospital were to keep reminding me! May I know which hospital you were at? Was Dr Tseng very supportive all the way about your plans to try for a VBA2C?

Nevertheless, congratulations on the birth of your baby!!!!! It's good to know that both mother & baby are a-ok! You must have your hands full now with 3 kids to look after!

Thanks once again for sharing your story =)

SP

good to know that BB is doing well
happy.gif

the HC of my BB at 36 weeks was 32cm, so hopefully, he won't grow too much for the past few weeks, and the face of BB is backing my back.
however, i dunno whether i will be able to do VBAC cos till now, cervix still close, no sign of labour. and i need to be admitted on Monday to be ready for c-sect on Tuesday morning.
for now, i'm feeling so lousy cos the BB is pressing down on my bladder and rectum making me wanting to pee and poo all the time, and he is a little big causing me no space for food, thus no appetite at all.

will update here again whether i am able to go through VBAC.

Hi there jtho,

How come you can't wait for natural labor? Will it be 40 weeks by 12 April?

Really hope the VBAC will pull through for you...

Hi SP, sorry to hear about your experience too but it's true that ultimately, the aim is to ensure safety of mum n baby so even for me, I m mentally prepared to go under the knife again if it becomes a jeopardy. Nevertheless I will be disappointed.

Was your gynae Paul Tseng too?

I am in my 33wk and baby is about 2.3kg. I am also quite worried he will be too big but Dr Tseng said size was still reasonable. I know the final month is where baby is going thru growth spurts cos I noticed I am hungrier the last few weeks until today. I try to control carb intake but hubby kept scaring me with his prediction that baby will be about 3.4kg. Sigh....

My first was 3.28kg in OP so e-c-sect. Second was pre-eclampsia and 3wks early at 2.08kg. Praying this third (and final one) will be abt 3kg only.. Fingers crossed.

Hi jtho,

How come you can't wait for natural labor? Is 12 April week 40? Really hope your VBAC will come through =)

(*oops! i thought my first post to jtho didn't go thru)

Hi Eunice,

Wow, seems like Dr Tseng has quite a few VBA2C cases on his hands lately huh? I'm seeing him too for mine, but it won't be till late October.

He did mention though that it's more the head circumference that's the issue rather than the baby's weight no? My 2 boys were 3.35kg & 3.7kg & the head circumference were both 34cm & he said those stats were fine...I'm just worried that when he checks my uterine walls at week 38 that he'll find it too thin & it'll be a no-go...

All the best in your VBA2C & please keep us posted!

Hi ahowt

Yes, he did mention head circumference too although I also worry abt size cos the bigger also the harder it is to push out I guess? My 2nd was 3wks early n very small so I had a very successful and easy vbac then except for pre-eclampsia whc was well controlled thru the labour process.

Anyway, thanks for your well wishes. I guess all of us expecting delivery soon will need lots of it.

hi ahowt

my week 40 will be on 21 april... but due to gestational diabetes, my gynae doesn't want me to risk and go beyond week 39...
that's why scheduled c-sect on 12 april...
well, nvm, i've resigned myself to fate... as long as baby is safe, i've ok with whatever method he is coming out
happy.gif

jtho,
Ha ha I didnt resign my fate so I try but who knows the reality sets in but at least I have tried. Just one more regret is that I did not let my hubby see the birth of our sons. I was telling hubby if he really hope to witness that, I am willing to go thru another time for him but this time round, definitely will be elective C-section. But currently no go until we ensure we can manage financially.

ahowt,
not sure if doula / hypno will help but definitely it is costly, not to mention that it adds on the bomb that it had cost me now... but if u feel more secure that u have make all circumstances possible for sucessful VBAC then go ahead...

Eunice,
Is your previous 2 pregs Dr Paul Tseng? Mine is Dr Paul this time round and indeed he is very patient to have waited till I cannot endure anymore then he interfer and suggested C-section. He showed his confidence when he assured me that it is ligament pain rather than womb rupture when I experienced sharp pain in left lower abdominal.

Dear all,
let's all not worry about the weight of the BB, the thickness of the wound...etc etc... just enjoy the joy of pregnancy... with the butterfly feeling tingling in your tummy...Kind of miss that feelings now...
These will just breeze thru in a flash!

Finally just keep our fingers crossed for the big D day to come!

All the best!

hi all
just to update, i didn't get to do vbac cos baby didn't want to come out before the elective c-sect date... i cannot hold on further cos of my GDM condition. gynae wouldn't want to risk letting me wait after 39 weeks...
anyway, i am still happy that i managed to have a healthy baby
happy.gif

Sorry that you can't do vbac this time but it is good to know both mum n baby are safe, ultimately, that is most impt. Then again, I can empathize with that decision that had to be made and feeling disappointed.

I was disappointed today too cos at 33 weeks, my baby is now in OP position. Doc consoled me saying still early n baby can still turn to face down so not all hope is lost but he also ever told me before that if one had a history of OP before, chances of it happening again is typically higher. Due to shape and size of pelvis so I am praying very very hard that he will turn. I've been thinking about it the whole afternoon and visualizing my first c-sect experience and really am dreading to go thru it again.

Fingers crossed.

hi jtho,
sorry for your on your unsuccessful attempts too. But nevertheless, we still have our healthy BB to console us. Is your GDM better after delivery?

Eunice,
U are similar to my case...BB has been head down position since mid-late stage of pregnancy. Have always ask DR Paul almost every visit about position of BB and he has always been positive that BB can always turn at last min to correct position for delivery. But for me it didnt happen so end up going under the knife again.

Guess we will just have to keep our fingers crossed for the big Day to know....

p.s. was reading previously that when we always sit with our pelvis bone tilt forward, it will help BB to going into correct delivery position. Dunno if it helps for you cos I did try but not very frequently practise this, maybe that's y it didnt works for me, maybe u can try to see if it helps.

Hi SP, yes, I read about the sitting position and some simple exercises to practice hoping to get baby into proper position. I am doing it now as much as I can. Hopefully can turn him inside. sigh... all due to our pelvic shape i guess. not something anyone can help with but i did discuss with hubby and decide that if by week 38, baby is still in OP, we may elect c-sect rather than wait cos OP position will definitely mean long labour and nobody can guarantee baby will turn during the labour process so instead of waiting 20-odd hours and then having to book emergency, may as well just elect. praying hard now...

My first delivery was via c-sect. 2nd and 3rd deliveries were natural birth. Both times during natural deliveries, my babies were in OP position.

The birth is definitely more painful and longer for OP position but VBAC is still possible.

eunice,

As mentioned by tigger88, it is still possible but I guessed your endurance must be strong to pull you thru. Cos for my case I have tried for 20+ hours and if not for the sever pain and fear of womb rumpture = danger of BB, I would have carry on. Guessed OP can still be deliver via natural cos have seen documentary where BB are born this way or even breech...

Jia you! and we shall keep our finger crossed and do talk to BB to adores mummy and turn to correct position.

happy.gif

@SP: Hi SP, thank you for sharing your birth story of your 3rd pregnancy. Is it convenient to share your hospital bill here from your 3rd birth? The total cost as well as the cash portion?

@Eunice: Hope to hear your birth story for your 3rd pregnancy too.
happy.gif

Hi all, I have received many support from mommies in this forum that I decided to post my story on VBAC here.

I was with a popular gynae until 38 week. I had my 1st c-sect in 06 and a VBAC in 08, all under the same gynae. For this 3rd pregnancy, however, he said that my bb is too big (est. 3.2-3.3kg), so he discourage, saying that there is risk that "mommy will die, bb will die". Furthermore, he said that if i insist on VBAC, he wouldnt deliver for me (he referred me to Paul Tseng/KKH). The former being willing to let his patients try with written confirmation that u understand the risk of VBAC (like a lawyer letter - according to my popular gynae). The latter being able to react fast for emergency c-sect if rupture. He also said that Im at a higher risk as my womb is stretched with each pregnancy. And he gave the example that "the first time u close ur eyes and cross the road safely doesnt mean that the next time u close ur eyes and cross the road will be safe as well". Im worried aft hearding these and booked a date to c-sect.

However, having had a VBAC for my #2 (small size at 2.6kg), I really want to delivery naturally again coz the recovery is certainly much faster. So i went to Paul Tseng for 2nd opinion. He checked my c-sec scar (0.8cm/mm?) and bb's weight and think that Im a good candiate for VBAC (having a higher chance for success as I have delivered naturally before).

So I switched to Paul Tseng on my 38 weeks and 3 days later, my bb was delivery naturally. In fact it was so fast and smooth that I didnt have time for epi. Just want to share my story with mommies wanting to try VBAC - no harm seeking 2nd opinion from a pro-natural gynae. He will help u to assess the risk better. Paul Tseng is indeed experienced and it helps that his clinic is located within TMC, so he can rush down if there is rupture.

I cant say that my earlier gynae is not good as I think he is so popular that he thinks that he cant react in times of emergency. While it is true that there is always a risk for trying to VBAC, I feel the way that he puts it across is too pessimistic. Hence, he rather refer me to other gynae. In a way, Im thankful that he didnt want to keep me as his patient, so that I can deliver "safely" under another gynae.

Hope for smooth delivery for mommies who want to try VBAC
happy.gif

Hi,

I was gonna post some stuff to sell in the forum & decided to drop by this thread again tho it's been more than a year! I was hoping to try for a VBA2C then & was looking for information & support.

Thought I'd drop an update here regarding my SUCCESSFUL VBA2C with Dr Paul Tseng (I love that guy!). Dr Paul was encouraging throughout the whole 9 months but was careful not to over-promise. What was important too in my experience with my first 2 c-sects was that he didn't freak out at the smallest incidents. He had enough experience to know when things get serious.

My babies have generally been big at 3.35kg & 3.7kg for the first 2 c-sects. I'm quite petite at 1.52cm & about 48kg. My VBA2C baby was by far the biggest one at 3.8kg & I managed to do it without epidural & episciotomy =)

I didn't have bad recovery issues with the c-sects. In fact I found the recovery for the natural birth a bit more uncomfy coz the stitches (for the tear) were "down there". But nevertheless, it was a magical experience (though painful!) to be able to witness the birth of my 3rd child & have my husband be there with me finally in the delivery room!

I know circumstances may not be the same for each pregnancy but I hope this serves as an encouragement to those who want to try for a VBAC/VBA2C. With a good gynae, it's possible!

(*oh, I engaged a doula too to help me through labor!)

Hi Ahowt, how much is ur total hospital bill? U deliver at TMC or Mt A? TIA!

Hi SP, can share ur hospital bill size also?? TIA!

Hi SKoh,
It was my cheapest hospital bill by far. I can't recall the details, but it was something like $3K @ TMC.

Anyone with vbac baby weighing more than 3.5kg? I am now currently 34wks4days... Baby weighing 2.6kg... Doc say if by born baby is more than 3.3kg seems like c sect is the best..

Anyone with vbac baby weighing more than 3.5kg? I am now currently 34wks4days... Baby weighing 2.6kg... Doc say if by born baby is more than 3.3kg seems like c sect is the best..

Yes for my frien but all her pregnancy are natural delivery, so no issue for her...

Vbac means your previous baby was c-sec and you would like to try natural delivery for current one right?

Yes for my frien but all her pregnancy are natural delivery, so no issue for her...

Vbac means your previous baby was c-sec and you would like to try natural delivery for current one right?
Yes... I had csect last 6yrs. I gave birth to twins. This is my 2nd pregnancy and would very much love to try for vbac. My gynae was ok with it at first. But aft today's appointment he said chances quite slim cos baby is on a bigger side. He said if baby did not reach more than 3.3kg at birth and labour naturally got chance..
I am very sad abt it. Cos now baby already 2.6kg at 34wks4days

Yes... I had csect last 6yrs. I gave birth to twins. This is my 2nd pregnancy and would very much love to try for vbac. My gynae was ok with it at first. But aft today's appointment he said chances quite slim cos baby is on a bigger side. He said if baby did not reach more than 3.3kg at birth and labour naturally got chance..
I am very sad abt it. Cos now baby already 2.6kg at 34wks4days

Wow... twins! Me n my sis also twins.. haha..

don take it too hard mummy, just let it be.. if can go for natural delivery of course good, but if need to go for c-sec.. have to go too.. most impt is baby is healthy right ;)

Wow... twins! Me n my sis also twins.. haha..

don take it too hard mummy, just let it be.. if can go for natural delivery of course good, but if need to go for c-sec.. have to go too.. most impt is baby is healthy right ;)
Actually I am scared of going through another c-sect. I had bad experience. Like upon conscious, I had difficulties in breathing that I felt like I almost died. The healing process was even longer that I didnt have the chance to enjoy much for my maternity leave.

Actually I am scared of going through another c-sect. I had bad experience. Like upon conscious, I had difficulties in breathing that I felt like I almost died. The healing process was even longer that I didnt have the chance to enjoy much for my maternity leave.

:eek::eek: Do you have asthma?

I went for epidural and was keep vomitting until junior nurse called the senior nurse in the midnight to inject medicine for me...

Hi! Is anyone trying for a VBAC in 2018/19? I’m due Jan 19 and am hoping to have a VBAC. Would be great to find some support... most of my friends either did all natural or once they had a C-section they continued with C-sec.
:)

Back