March 2018 Mummies

I'm currently in 2nd trimester, 15 weeks but still a little unsure of whether to go so soon although I already know the gender hehe hmm, probably skipping it but it seems like there will be many great deals!!

Congrats! Do you know the gender thru ultrasound scan? Or thru panorama test?

Last edited:

I am seeing Dr Ben Tham at TMC.
Going for Oscar scan next week. Any idea usually how long to get the result?
Did anyone take up Thalassaemia test?

I took both yesterday at TMC and was informed that I should be able to get my results by Wed. Abit worried though. Hope my baby is ok

I took both yesterday at TMC and was informed that I should be able to get my results by Wed. Abit worried though. Hope my baby is ok

How long is the oscar scan? Can see baby in different angle?
Thalassaemia is blood test? Did your partner do the test as well?
Did u opt for the Pre-eclampsia screening?

How long is the oscar scan? Can see baby in different angle?
Thalassaemia is blood test? Did your partner do the test as well?
Did u opt for the Pre-eclampsia screening?

It was pretty fast. Everything was smooth and done in less than an hour. The scan itself was about 20-30mins. The staff showed the baby in different angles (e.g. Top of the head, side view, spine, etc). I think the blood test was part of the oscar test as well as for Thalassaemia. My partner did the blood test as well.

Don't think Pre-eclampsia was included in my screening.

Hi ladies,

I'm 15w plus now. And starting to feel mild on off cramps on the side. But last night, I woke up to a 3 seconds sharp pain. Then it stopped since.

I read online the start of second trimester some women experience such pain. Not sure if it's common.

Anyone has such experience? Seeing the gynae on Tuesday but just wanted to have some peace of mind.

Thanks mommies.

It was pretty fast. Everything was smooth and done in less than an hour. The scan itself was about 20-30mins. The staff showed the baby in different angles (e.g. Top of the head, side view, spine, etc). I think the blood test was part of the oscar test as well as for Thalassaemia. My partner did the blood test as well.

Thanks for the info :) How long will they take to process the test result?

Thanks for the info! How long it takes to get the test result?

I finally stopped feeling horribly ill and got up and in 9 days I researched and bought:
- a standing freezer (for breastmilk, herbs and frozen food-making whole wheat ginger pork pies and salmon lemon puffs)
- a combi rocking bassinet (for baby to sleep in bed room
- a rocking chair (for breasfeeding)
- a car seat (like a bucket with handle)
- heaps of muslin (sewing swaddles and feeding covers and sheets)
- a spare dishwasher (expecting to be very busy)
- a freestanding baby bath unit (to bathe baby at chest height
- a mattress
- a changing pad
- nipple shields
- bottle steriliser
- 3 wheeler hiking pram (take baby to trails)

and after all that, finally everything is unpacked, installed, prewashed and ready! Phew

I finally stopped feeling horribly ill and got up and in 9 days I researched and bought:
- a standing freezer (for breastmilk, herbs and frozen food-making whole wheat ginger pork pies and salmon lemon puffs)
- a mattress
- a changing pad
- nipple shields
- bottle steriliser

and after all that, finally everything is unpacked, installed, prewashed and ready! Phew

Wah! hard working!!

Hi ladies,

I'm 15w plus now. And starting to feel mild on off cramps on the side. But last night, I woke up to a 3 seconds sharp pain. Then it stopped since.

I read online the start of second trimester some women experience such pain. Not sure if it's common.

Anyone has such experience? Seeing the gynae on Tuesday but just wanted to have some peace of mind.

Thanks mommies.

Hope you are feeling better. if it continues, i think you might wanna call your doc to see if they have slots for you today?

These pains are quite normal during second trimester as the uterus is expanding and causing stretching in the round ligaments (Google "round ligament pain" for more info). So it's sharp pain that lasts a few seconds or a dull aching pain which occurs during movement/activity. Best remedy for this is to rest.

I finally see the sub doc at NUH. Its really different. They didn't scan me just listen for bb hb.
Ask if i want to do Oscar or Igene ($800+) and i choose Oscar.

Went for the scan this morning, my bb NT is 1.59. sonographer say looks good. Active bb keep moving around during the scan.
Finally see my bb again since 5 weeks ago. hahhaa

Your 1st appt but you didn't get to scan? My 1st appt, i was expecting to hear hb only, but was quite suprised that the doc herself scan me in the consultation room. Previously any scan would be done in another room.

The sonographer didn't want to scan my bb gender at 12.5 weeks.
Congrast to you!

Its good if your mom can help! new born can be quite daunting.. my #1 cry murder for 3 wks everyday whenever i bath her. she just hates it. *shiver* at the memory

Usually scan for gender is @ 20wks. Maybe because we're subsidised patients, therefore die2 must wait till 20wks. lol

Your 1st appt but you didn't get to scan? My 1st appt, i was expecting to hear hb only, but was quite suprised that the doc herself scan me in the consultation room. Previously any scan would be done in another room.

Usually scan for gender is @ 20wks. Maybe because we're subsidised patients, therefore die2 must wait till 20wks. lol

No lei. Doc was more anxious about knowing my medical history. Haha
I will be seeing the high risk doc on friday.
I know gender scan is at 20wks but sometimes sonographer will help. :p i trying my luck. hahhaa
Yap, the clinic book my FA scan already.
Even as a NUH private patient, doc also don't scan you much after 20wks unless u request.

Reactions: nqt
during my 1st appt, my blood was taken for some test...the day after, the clinic staff called me & say that i need to come back & take prescribed iron tablets as my red blood cells count was low. I had the same issue with my no 1. The pharmacist didnt advise me on the eating schedule or what to avoid...so the day after, after i took my folic acid, i took the iron tablet, immediately i felt nausea...i try to ctrl, but once i reach my offc, i vomitted twice & went home...i stopped taking them since then...I googled & read that nausea is 1 of the common side effects apart from many others...

Anyone is anemic as well? How do you eat your iron tablets? anything to avoid?

Hi ladies,

Thanks mommies.
I also experience that once in a while, sometimes just sitting down or sometimes sleeping. So is quite common. I checked with my gynae and she told me that anything below the belly button means is your baby expanding related matters. Anything above the belly button is your own muscle ache. So if yours is cramps below your belly button, dont have to worry. Is common unless it is for a continuous long period of time.

I think sometimes as pregnant ladies we are too paranoid and get too worried over every single small thing. We should relax and not overthink too much! Good for baby too!!!

Glad to see the topic on Bb fair, I will miss the one in October but saw so many good dealsz. Anyone know if 2018 will have the similar baby fair? I haven't gotten anything at all so far and this is my #1

I'm also not very sure about the rates for freelance. But yest my husband shared with me on this particular one that his dad found. I suggested agency to my FIL before but he was skeptical and went to ask around his friends. They recommended one "very good" one but charges X2 the rate for cny, so that will amount to about 5k already. Den she charges $80 for every time she goes marketing..!! plus I will be staying with in laws during confinement which is in a house, so she charges 200 for every storey she will have to climb. And on top of that, at least 2 angbaos min $88 each.

I told hubs no matter how good this Aunty is, I will not hire one lol. I called up 2 agencies just now and the rates are much better! I will have to discuss with hubbs tonight and make decision asap!!
WAH her charges make me want to be confinement lady man! Haha crazy. Anyway, I think can start asking around your friends or colleagues who did confinement before also. Sometimes they have very good recommendations! So far most of my friends dont have confinement lady, they either render help from their mothers/mother-in-law for food and laundry. And they all mention is pretty manageable. So I really cannot decide! Need to think fast as I heard my friend's sister also giving birth in March and had hard time finding a good confinement lady but she managed to book one 2 weeks ago.

Glad to see the topic on Bb fair, I will miss the one in October but saw so many good dealsz. Anyone know if 2018 will have the similar baby fair? I haven't gotten anything at all so far and this is my #1

Don't worry, the Oct organiser run at least 2 fairs a year. BB fairs are quite common now, it is just the size, some are smaller.
Most seller joins most of the fairs also, i seen the same batch of sellers in different fairs.
Robinson black friday sales is not bad too. I got my bb car seat at a steal.

WAH her charges make me want to be confinement lady man! Haha crazy. Anyway, I think can start asking around your friends or colleagues who did confinement before also. Sometimes they have very good recommendations! So far most of my friends dont have confinement lady, they either render help from their mothers/mother-in-law for food and laundry. And they all mention is pretty manageable. So I really cannot decide! Need to think fast as I heard my friend's sister also giving birth in March and had hard time finding a good confinement lady but she managed to book one 2 weeks ago.

I am going back to my mum house for confinement too.
It is quite manageable if your mum or your mil is able to help. Its the night duty that scares me.. hahhaa
Lack of sleep is very common too...

Don't worry, the Oct organiser run at least 2 fairs a year. BB fairs are quite common now, it is just the size, some are smaller.
Most seller joins most of the fairs also, i seen the same batch of sellers in different fairs.
Robinson black friday sales is not bad too. I got my bb car seat at a steal.

Awesome! Didn't know abt the Robinson sale..I will keep a lookout .. becoz I hope next fair is early 2018 so can still make it in time but by then tummy so big don't Tik so agile anymore to squeeze now still manageable...maybe Xmas sale got good deals I hope

Awesome! Didn't know abt the Robinson sale..I will keep a lookout .. becoz I hope next fair is early 2018 so can still make it in time but by then tummy so big don't Tik so agile anymore to squeeze now still manageable...maybe Xmas sale got good deals I hope

Robinson, Isetan, BHG, OG often have 20% off, those common brands like Pigeon, Tolly joy and stuff can get their.
Only those baby cot, stroller and etc sometimes u need go bb fair for better deal and convenience, 1 time buy all.

Yes, year end always have deals also. Pampers get online, cheaper and don't need lug. FM get from medicial hall like Kim Seng.

- a mattress
- a changing pad
- nipple shields
- bottle steriliser

Could you share the brands for some of the items?

- a mattress
- a changing pad
- nipple shields
- bottle steriliser

Wow that is fast!
I still cannot figure out what is what and the difference between each brand..

No lei. Doc was more anxious about knowing my medical history. Haha
I will be seeing the high risk doc on friday.
I know gender scan is at 20wks but sometimes sonographer will help. i trying my luck. hahhaa
Yap, the clinic book my FA scan already.
Even as a NUH private patient, doc also don't scan you much after 20wks unless u request.
Oh you booked the FA scan quite early! The clinic refused to book till I saw the doc for 2nd appt. So my FA scan is on 22 weeks.

I waited 2h for that appt tho im a private patient! Wondering if I can prebook future appts.

Which high risk doc are you seeing?

Yes really crazy charges lol! I've decided to hire a confinement nanny after all. She's also a freelance one but charges reasonably like agency :) 2.8k. Found by my mil. My mum has to look after my Nephew and my mil is working so I dun have help from both mums. So I'll have to hire one. Hope u get to hire one soon as well! Can check out agencies!

Hi I had the same concerns as you..was afraid they won't have another one before before baby's birth if I miss this oct one lol. In the end I've decided to just go ba. Aim is to get some big items. 2018 will def have baby fairs, perhaps u can check every now and then to see when will be the next one. :)

Hi I had the same concerns as you..was afraid they won't have another one before before baby's birth if I miss this oct one lol. In the end I've decided to just go ba. Aim is to get some big items. 2018 will def have baby fairs, perhaps u can check every now and then to see when will be the next one. :)

Yes unfortunate October I can't go at all, I saw all the pre order item available but I really don't want to trouble someone to help go squeeze in crowd and take..so decided to just try my luck with 2018 fair . But good decision u can go for oct fair just go for it..but be careful of the crowd perhaps do the pre order den get your Husband or family go with you and help u take. I was eyeing to explore more baby cots

i brought steam the last time, thinking to buy UV this time.
The thing about steam sterilizer is that you gotta empty the water every time.
UV you can just leave it inside

I have a UV sterilizer that was a free gift when i signed up cordlife. Have been using it for 2yr plus.
I would say it's convenient, you can sterilize anything like spoon, fork (with plastic handle kind), nail cutter etc. I have never used a steam sterilizer before but I know some things like certain pump parts you have to take note, those cant sterilize. For UV i just dump everything in. But UV sterilizer is not cheap esp if you intend to just sterilize for the 1st year like abit waste money.

I have a UV sterilizer that was a free gift when i signed up cordlife. Have been using it for 2yr plus.
I would say it's convenient, you can sterilize anything like spoon, fork (with plastic handle kind), nail cutter etc. I have never used a steam sterilizer before but I know some things like certain pump parts you have to take note, those cant sterilize. For UV i just dump everything in. But UV sterilizer is not cheap esp if you intend to just sterilize for the 1st year like abit waste money.

Best part is their price is still in the $300 range despite being in the market for about 4yrs.
Ya. i am still contemplating

Does anyone know if marigold yogurt is pasteurized and safe for consumption during pregnancy? I've read that dairy pdts if not pasteurized may contain bacteria which are harmful to the baby.

Roger that ladies, thanks for the invaluable tips ;)

Hi Hygeia,

I'm a consultant from GE, our Flexi Maternity Cover covers pregnant mummies from as early as 13 weeks of pregnancy. With a one-time premium, it can cover up to 3 policy years for your baby. Most importantly it is a standalone maternity insurance plan where you don't need to purchase it together with another plan.
Although the coverage of $5,000 or $10,000 (based on your option) is not much, but it gives you a peace of mind. Most importantly it has Guaranteed Insurability Benefit + exclusive premium voucher where you can opt to buy for you and your baby in the future.
Please whatsapp me if you need more information: 9350 7303

Does anyone know if marigold yogurt is pasteurized and safe for consumption during pregnancy? I've read that dairy pdts if not pasteurized may contain bacteria which are harmful to the baby.

Not sure about marigold yogurt being pasteurized anot...
I only know some cheese are not pasteurized like Brie and Blue Cheese.

I thought milk and yogurts are quite generally safe. :) maybe check the packaging to see if they wrote pasteurized. Did a quick google but can;t find any definitive answer.

Not sure about marigold yogurt being pasteurized anot...
I only know some cheese are not pasteurized like Brie and Blue Cheese.

I thought milk and yogurts are quite generally safe. :) maybe check the packaging to see if they wrote pasteurized. Did a quick google but can;t find any definitive answer.

Thanks for your prompt reply! I did a search too, but can't cfm too..

Back