Support for Gestational Diabetes Mummies~

Gd can eat durian to boost bb weight or not? I mean like one seed per day kind?
I dunno ley, best to ask your doc/dietitian? Your bb too small? I was advised to take skim milk w my meals in order to put on weight, I think the danger of overloading with sugar would stress the baby's insulin production as well, so best is to consult the doc bah!

Last edited:

I dunno ley, best to ask your doc/dietitian? Your bb too small? I was advised to take skim milk w my meals in order to put on weight, I think the danger of overloading with sugar would stress the baby's insulin production as well, so best is to consult the doc bah!

Ya my bb small. Dr suggest I can eat Abit to boost bb weight but I am scared haha. It's super high sugar.

I'm currently week 15 but have been told to take 7 times readings 4 days a week and twice my readings 2hr after food was 6.7 and 7.3. Very stressed now as doc say I may have to take insulin, trying to control with diet but quite difficult as I feel tired and headache. Anyone, who's diagnosed with GD but managed to control without insulin? I'm thinking to control and prolong till as late as possible as I have 25 more weeks to go =(

Hi Chocolatechip,

Want to share my story with you.

I had GD when i was preggy in ww28... that was May 2014. My OGTT reading was 14.2.
Went to ODAC for course and was asked to see dietician and come back for review. Follow the diet strictly but still fail the after meal prick test. So was advised to inject insulin at ODAC.
My pain tolerance level was very low. It was very painful for me to prick fingers every meal... I cannot take it when ODAC staff told me i need to inject insulin on that day.I want to breakdown. They told me need to inject insulin immediately. I reject and told ODAC staff that i do not want insulin injection. I want to talk to my gynae. I insist no insulin injection and they also cant do anything to me.I left ODAC with a very black face and show them how unhappy i am. At that time, there was this training doc who was there. She didnt even interview me. she just hear the nurse say my reading was still high and say must inject insulin.I was so angry and show them black face.

A while later i receive a call from ODAC nurse that they had booked an appointment with my gynae to review my case. So they did something after knowing that i was angry.
I visited the dietician the same day before i see my gynae. Dietician say i am not putting on weight.need to eat more during my meals. My weight is dropping since i start to follow their diet. So straight after that i went gynae appt. My gynae still can tell me he is worried that patient go see dietician or goes to ODAC. Scan results shows that bb is growing even faster with diet control. I told him that i do not want to inject insulin and want to stick to diet control. So was allowed to control diet and monitor blood glucose. But do not need to ODAC/Dietician. eat normal 3 meals. snack only when hungry.

My breakfast :
2 slice wholemeal bread+ Cheese/low fat turkey ham(This one need to throw in boiling water to wash away the oil and saltness)/egg+Lettuce/tomato+Hi Calcium low fat milk+1 serving of fruits

Lunch:
Had to eat outside cos working ma
Option 1
Fish soup+bee hoon (tell aunty my situation, less salt and no oil, if they have bitter gourd/veg then add extra $ for the veg)+1 serving of fruits
Option 2
Vegeterian brown rice+toufu(can be fried toufu)+2 types veg)+ plain water+ 1 serving of fruits

I will stop eating once i feel full. so usually i will count. bee hoon/rice/kway tiao is 5 mouthful cos carbs. meal estimate a palm size. veg can eat a lot:)

teabreak :
2 slice wholemeal bread/wheat biscuit+ Cheese/low fat turkey ham(This one need to throw in boiling water to wash away the oil and saltness)/egg+Lettuce/tomato+Hi Calcium low fat milk

Dinner
Cook at home
Brown rice/bee hoon/kway tiao + fish/mince meat/minced chicken+veg/bitter gourd
cooking method : boil water then add in meat to boil then add veg in. and i just eat like this.... sometimes play cheat a little. add soya sauce/salt.

After every meal need to exercise and sweat out.
ODAC staff teach me to wear sweater to exercise and need to walk a lot and fast... But old people say cannot walk too fast.. later affect bb and early delivery.

I manage to control my diet and reading was within spec... at days put a bit more seasoning then fail the reading a little... Doc will highlight and ask me to control a bit...
This continues for a few months till the day i deliver... My bb is now 18 months... She was born 37 weeks 5 days... 3.2kg... and i have a normal delivery...

I was 51kg before pregnancy... I am 48.5kg now... I have to Thanks my bb for my good figure:) and my yearly checkup results is good and healthy. and i m still sticking to healthy diet.. but i still do prick test after i take sinful meal...

I want to encourage all GD mummies... its worth for the well being of ourselves and our baby... do not be depressed... stay happy so we will have a happy baby...

Hi Chocolatechip,

I had GD when i was preggy in ww28... that was May 2014. My OGTT reading was 14.2.
Went to ODAC for course and was asked to see dietician and come back for review. Follow the diet strictly but still fail the after meal prick test. So was advised to inject insulin at ODAC.
My pain tolerance level was very low. It was very painful for me to prick fingers every meal... I cannot take it when ODAC staff told me i need to inject insulin on that day.I want to breakdown. They told me need to inject insulin immediately. I reject and told ODAC staff that i do not want insulin injection. I want to talk to my gynae. I insist no insulin injection and they also cant do anything to me.I left ODAC with a very black face and show them how unhappy i am. At that time, there was this training doc who was there. She didnt even interview me. she just hear the nurse say my reading was still high and say must inject insulin.I was so angry and show them black face.

A while later i receive a call from ODAC nurse that they had booked an appointment with my gynae to review my case. So they did something after knowing that i was angry.
I visited the dietician the same day before i see my gynae. Dietician say i am not putting on weight.need to eat more during my meals. My weight is dropping since i start to follow their diet. So straight after that i went gynae appt. My gynae still can tell me he is worried that patient go see dietician or goes to ODAC. Scan results shows that bb is growing even faster with diet control. I told him that i do not want to inject insulin and want to stick to diet control. So was allowed to control diet and monitor blood glucose. But do not need to ODAC/Dietician. eat normal 3 meals. snack only when hungry.

My breakfast :
2 slice wholemeal bread+ Cheese/low fat turkey ham(This one need to throw in boiling water to wash away the oil and saltness)/egg+Lettuce/tomato+Hi Calcium low fat milk+1 serving of fruits

Lunch:
Option 1
Fish soup+bee hoon (tell aunty my situation, less salt and no oil, if they have bitter gourd/veg then add extra $ for the veg)+1 serving of fruits
Option 2
Vegeterian brown rice+toufu(can be fried toufu)+2 types veg)+ plain water+ 1 serving of fruits

I will stop eating once i feel full. so usually i will count. bee hoon/rice/kway tiao is 5 mouthful cos carbs. meal estimate a palm size. veg can eat a lot:)

teabreak :
2 slice wholemeal bread/wheat biscuit+ Cheese/low fat turkey ham(This one need to throw in boiling water to wash away the oil and saltness)/egg+Lettuce/tomato+Hi Calcium low fat milk

Dinner
Cook at home
cooking method : boil water then add in meat to boil then add veg in. and i just eat like this.... sometimes play cheat a little. add soya sauce/salt.

ODAC staff teach me to wear sweater to exercise and need to walk a lot and fast... But old people say cannot walk too fast.. later affect bb and early delivery.

I manage to control my diet and reading was within spec... at days put a bit more seasoning then fail the reading a little... Doc will highlight and ask me to control a bit...
This continues for a few months till the day i deliver... My bb is now 18 months... She was born 37 weeks 5 days... 3.2kg... and i have a normal delivery...

I was 51kg before pregnancy... I am 48.5kg now... I have to Thanks my bb for my good figure:) and my yearly checkup results is good and healthy. and i m still sticking to healthy diet.. but i still do prick test after i take sinful meal...

I want to encourage all GD mummies... its worth for the well being of ourselves and our baby... do not be depressed... stay happy so we will have a happy baby...

Thank you for sharing.

Hi Chocolatechip,

My breakfast :

Lunch:
Option 1
Option 2

teabreak :

Dinner
Cook at home

Hi thanks for ur encouragement! When u control diet what was ur readings? I am quite sian of the prick test and diet control alr :(
I thot being pregnant = can eat comfortably... In fact it's even worst now, can't wait to deliver another 20 weeks to go seems so long

Just hit 28 weeks, and will be going for my ultrasound to check on growth of baby on 11th May. By then I will be 30 weeks and...I am still trying to get adjusted to the fact that life is gonna change so drastically!!!

@Chocolate Chip , yeah, I felt similar to you, and I have been doing this since week 8 of my pregnancy as I was pre-diabetic before :( But I tell myself, this is a good opportunity to learn good eating habits, as I know the diet is what is encouraged for a healthy lifestyle, not just GD mummies!! And I hope to influence my family, as well as bring up a healthy baby, so each time I feel sipeh sian and want to give up, I will keep this in mind. Jiayou Jiayou! There are also many 'cheats' that I find still keeps within the GI levels for me, so I indulge once in a while.

Like, surprisingly, western food and pasta seems to be within margins (less than 6.0 for me) if I pick the non-fried/no cream/no sauce options, like aglio olio with grilled lamb chops. I will ask for all no sauces, or sauces at the side, then keep to less than a teaspoon of sauce. In fact, I prefer to eat it this way now, and will prob continue after birth, cos I can taste the food rather than everything masked by fat/salt/sugar! Moreover, most places seem happy to accommodate all these requests, I think it's becoming a trend in SG to eat a little healthier!

In fact, surprisingly, I had chicken rice and my read was 5.4! Granted, I ordered white chicken, no skin, less rice (about 2/3) and NO SAUCE. I think the main culprit is the soya/sesame sauce they drizzle over the rice and chicken! But of course, this I take sparingly too, as I know nutritionally it's not worth it either, but at least I don't feel so miserable telling myself everything also cannot eat. So it's another mind trick I use to keep myself afloat when eating outside (which is not too frequently anyway), where options are limited and temptations are infinite!!!

Just a little disclaimer though, some GD mummies are better at tolerating carbohydrates, myself, I cannot take white carbs, even though the ODAC clinic tells us it is okay. So I switch over to all brown rice and wholemeal for my carbs, otherwise I can only eat half portion of white carbs and don't feel full at all. Can't even eat any fried stuff, my reading will just shoot, but maybe that's cos I already had cholesterol issues since my teen years. So what is suitable for one might not be for another.

What @kitty_kitty shared is a very good outline of what my lifestyle and diet is like too, I make it a point to do housework after meals since I don't work, and every evening I go for walks with the husband after dinner. Keeping up our emotional wellbeing is equally important, so I try to let the food be less of a focal issue for this pregnancy, after all, a happy mummy will have a happy baby :D

Jiayou all mummies!

@Chocolate Chip - I feel you. I was upset when I failed my 28 weeks OGTT. Fasting BG is ok, but 2 hrs test is 8.7. I felt the whole world crashing down on me. I still couldn't accept it and still teared at times thinking about it. Why I couldn't accept is because I have been healthy pre-pregnancy. I ate healthy (oats and chia seeds breakfast for years, no sugared water, no coffee, no tea), exercises regularly and no family history. My only risk factor is my age because I'm 38 now. And I also ate very little throughout pregnancy, very little carbs, high proteins, still oats, no sugared water except 1st trimester when I can't drink any plain water. I only gained 2 kg thus far and I'm 32 weeks. Very depressing at times thinking about why I landed up in this state. Especially when it's an unplanned pregnancy and got to risk having child who is diabetic in future and me having 70% chance of diabetic in future too. My husband has been consoling me its because of the high progesterone I've been prescribed since about week 20. Cos progresterone is one of the pregnancy hormones that inhibit insulin and caused haywire in blood glucose. I also hope it's the case but deep down I still can't help worry about the risks on my child and myself in later life.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Only chance upon this thread after I gave birth.
Was also diagnose with GD during week 30 and have been controlling my diet with twice a week pricking.
Just delivered last week, baby is normal and healthy.
After the strict diet I only gain 1-2kg for the last 9 weeks which is considered quite little since my previous 2 nearly double that weight gain.
But have to heed dr advice in order not to put baby in unnecessar risk.

I'm doing the glucose test in another 6 weeks time and hopefully my sugar level can be back to normal,
I find eating western food (minus potatoes and fries) is effective in controlling blood sugar esp steak, so can consider that and make baby strong with the high amt of proteins too
Breakfast whole meal bread, or oatmeal will give a reading of below 6 after meal test
Quino and basmati rice options are good alternatives for those like myself who can't live without having rice

I noticed that I am super sensitive to chocolate stuff. Ytd I had chocolate cupcake and my 2hr reading was 6.8, 3hr was 6.0 and 4hr 6.4 meaning my sugar level didn't drop as time passes :( and if I drink milo kosong, it's 8.7

But surprising when I have carbonara with ikea meatballs and sparkling ribena, my 2hr reading was 5.6!
Honey stars with low fat milk was 4.3! Small bowl thou
Chicken rice - half plate rice w sauce, stir fry veggies and chicken w skin + barley water was also less than 6.0

I'm currently craving sweet carbonated drinks now and milo, super hard to control especially when I'm outside in the hot sun... Worry abt baby's health... But I still get the mild nausea spells when I eat less -_-" going for detailed scan next week when I'm about 21 weeks (hopefully all's well)
I wonder where's the supposedly pregnancy wonderful feeling in 2nd trim

I just realized no soba for me.... I thought soba is wheat. Ate a bowl of soba with soup .. 2 hrs reading is 8.2..... Highest so far

I just realized no soba for me.... I thought soba is wheat. Ate a bowl of soba with soup .. 2 hrs reading is 8.2..... Highest so far
Maybe is the soba soup ? Cos stock may have high sugar. I find japanese food in general sweet.

Japanese food is a no-no, they use a lot of mirin and that in itself is sweet + alcohol. Never have I ever passed a single GI test with any sort of Japanese food yet :-/ even the rice is more starchy I think??

Could be coz I drank quite abit of the soup.

No popiah for me too....
Yeah generally chefs tend to add sugar to soups for flavour :(

I can tolerate popiah by qiji, I ask for less sweet sauce less chilli sauce...sauces in general are bad news :(

Japanese food is a no-no, they use a lot of mirin and that in itself is sweet + alcohol. Never have I ever passed a single GI test with any sort of Japanese food yet :-/ even the rice is more starchy I think??
Always love jap food...guess need to abstain till delivery

I passed my chicken pie snack too. I guess we have to trial n error to see what food our body can take.

I noticed that I am super sensitive to chocolate stuff. Ytd I had chocolate cupcake and my 2hr reading was 6.8, 3hr was 6.0 and 4hr 6.4 meaning my sugar level didn't drop as time passes :( and if I drink milo kosong, it's 8.7

But surprising when I have carbonara with ikea meatballs and sparkling ribena, my 2hr reading was 5.6!
Honey stars with low fat milk was 4.3! Small bowl thou
Chicken rice - half plate rice w sauce, stir fry veggies and chicken w skin + barley water was also less than 6.0

I'm currently craving sweet carbonated drinks now and milo, super hard to control especially when I'm outside in the hot sun... Worry abt baby's health... But I still get the mild nausea spells when I eat less -_-" going for detailed scan next week when I'm about 21 weeks (hopefully all's well)
I wonder where's the supposedly pregnancy wonderful feeling in 2nd trim

Milo is super sweet, even kosong also is taking big risk :( although some foods we know can pass, the nutritional value is not so good...so I take those sparingly. But for first trimester, my dietitian close one eye since I couldn't eat much nor keep much down...

Personally, my 2nd trimester was better around week 16 or so, but my appetite did not pick up till week 24! The GD diet is good in that sense - by cutting down salt/fat/sugar, I lose some of the addictive side effects that all bodies naturally crave. I also always carry a water bottle with me, with a slice of lemon if I couldn't tolerate plain water, then top up at baby rooms which most shopping centres now have. If I really crave sweet and cold drinks, I opt for less sugar chrysanthemum tea, drink half can, or a piece of cold fruit.

Do keep in mind that more veggies and fibrous fruits can also help absorb and slow down the intake of sugar, and a wide variety of foods is more beneficial than processed foods. Hang in there, we can do this :)

I passed my chicken pie snack too. I guess we have to trial n error to see what food our body can take.
Yeah, too strict also no good. I was surprised to find out I passed Taiwan sausage for dinner tonight, guess pairing it with beans help absorb some of the sugar?? That and the 1/2 hr walk after..... Hehehe

@Chocolate Chip - I feel you. I was upset when I failed my 28 weeks OGTT. Fasting BG is ok, but 2 hrs test is 8.7. I felt the whole world crashing down on me. I still couldn't accept it and still teared at times thinking about it. Why I couldn't accept is because I have been healthy pre-pregnancy. I ate healthy (oats and chia seeds breakfast for years, no sugared water, no coffee, no tea), exercises regularly and no family history. My only risk factor is my age because I'm 38 now. And I also ate very little throughout pregnancy, very little carbs, high proteins, still oats, no sugared water except 1st trimester when I can't drink any plain water. I only gained 2 kg thus far and I'm 32 weeks. Very depressing at times thinking about why I landed up in this state. Especially when it's an unplanned pregnancy and got to risk having child who is diabetic in future and me having 70% chance of diabetic in future too. My husband has been consoling me its because of the high progesterone I've been prescribed since about week 20. Cos progresterone is one of the pregnancy hormones that inhibit insulin and caused haywire in blood glucose. I also hope it's the case but deep down I still can't help worry about the risks on my child and myself in later life.

-hugs- I am also an older mum, turning 40 in December. I have many other preexisting conditions that made me at first not want to conceive, but since I am also not totally against having a child, then I just make the most out of the situation and give her the best shot in life.

You already understand and have taken steps to give your baby a good start in life. These worries and concerns are of course very natural, and real, but please keep in mind there are many other factors which influenced your child's future, such as diet and environment, not just genes, which you cannot control and predict.

I tell myself that as long as we keep happy, and healthy, we are giving our babies the best. No point lamenting and worrying over infinitesimal issues that my anxious mind is predisposed towards.

We can do this!

Hi thanks for ur encouragement! When u control diet what was ur readings? I am quite sian of the prick test and diet control alr :(
I thot being pregnant = can eat comfortably... In fact it's even worst now, can't wait to deliver another 20 weeks to go seems so long

Hi Chocolatechip
My readings is around 6.8 to 7.8... Gynae will circle those readings over 7 and ask me to control well...
I guess i was very scared that time so i was so busy with planning my meals... cooking at home and pricking that i didnt realise the time. Dun go and count the days la.Its feel terrible to start counting... Spend time doing more meaningful things... Like talking to your bb, take pic and preparing for bb arrival.. Very exciting one... That time i tell myself that i am are eating nutritious food for myself and bb. Detox session.I wanted the best for bb so i know i can do it...A few weeks later will realise that not so tiring and more energetic...

Just to share that there is 2 type of test for blood glucose... OGTT and Hb1Ac. I did a OGTT test 1.5 months after my delivery. my reading was 8.7. Doc say its impaired glucose tolerance. Not normal and not diabetic. need to monitor as i was still breastfeeding. Maybe its the hormones. I just did a Hb1Ac and OGTT test last week. My OGTT is 4.4(fasting) , 2 hrs after sugar drink is 6.4. So diet control does works... I am back to normal... but will still stick to current diet cos i will higher chance to get diabetics when i get old.

Like what snowfern share. Exercise and strolling helps... Everyday Hubby will accompany me for exercise. and we spend more time together. chatting about bb and how we going to manage and how our bb is going to look like. Even recall wedding days... I feel its even better:) Like pak tor...

I want to encourage all GD mummies... Its for our own bb... Its worth:)

Hi Chocolatechip,

My breakfast :

Lunch:
Option 1
Option 2

teabreak :

Dinner
Cook at home

I was also very annoyed with the stuff nurse at ODAC!

When i visited them that morning, my reading was 10.. n it slowly dropped after each reading but the nurse keep insisting i take insulin. I refused!!! She threatened to say that they will indicate in my report to say that i refused and if anything were to happen, i cannot hold them responsible. I agreed! Then they had no choice but to arrange for an appt to see my gynae and said if my gynae advised that i take insulin, then i will hv to take.

For the following 2 weeks, i control my diet and luckily readings went back to the normal range and didnt hv to take insulin...

Caused me so stress and broke down when i went hm after a day at ODAC!

-hugs- I am also an older mum, turning 40 in December. I have many other preexisting conditions that made me at first not want to conceive, but since I am also not totally against having a child, then I just make the most out of the situation and give her the best shot in life.

You already understand and have taken steps to give your baby a good start in life. These worries and concerns are of course very natural, and real, but please keep in mind there are many other factors which influenced your child's future, such as diet and environment, not just genes, which you cannot control and predict.

I tell myself that as long as we keep happy, and healthy, we are giving our babies the best. No point lamenting and worrying over infinitesimal issues that my anxious mind is predisposed towards.

We can do this!

thanks....I tend to become depressed every time after I see a doctor. So I've declined further appointments with the endocrinologist and dragging my gynae appointments. See less doctors, worry less :) That's my nurse friend's advise. Also trying to distract myself from all these worries but getting busy preparing for bb and my stuff for/ after delivery. Hoping my baby will not born sulky because of a depressed mummy.

Hi Chocolatechip
My readings is around 6.8 to 7.8... Gynae will circle those readings over 7 and ask me to control well...
I guess i was very scared that time so i was so busy with planning my meals... cooking at home and pricking that i didnt realise the time. Dun go and count the days la.Its feel terrible to start counting... Spend time doing more meaningful things... Like talking to your bb, take pic and preparing for bb arrival.. Very exciting one... That time i tell myself that i am are eating nutritious food for myself and bb. Detox session.I wanted the best for bb so i know i can do it...A few weeks later will realise that not so tiring and more energetic...

Just to share that there is 2 type of test for blood glucose... OGTT and Hb1Ac. I did a OGTT test 1.5 months after my delivery. my reading was 8.7. Doc say its impaired glucose tolerance. Not normal and not diabetic. need to monitor as i was still breastfeeding. Maybe its the hormones. I just did a Hb1Ac and OGTT test last week. My OGTT is 4.4(fasting) , 2 hrs after sugar drink is 6.4. So diet control does works... I am back to normal... but will still stick to current diet cos i will higher chance to get diabetics when i get old.

Like what snowfern share. Exercise and strolling helps... Everyday Hubby will accompany me for exercise. and we spend more time together. chatting about bb and how we going to manage and how our bb is going to look like. Even recall wedding days... I feel its even better:) Like pak tor...

I want to encourage all GD mummies... Its for our own bb... Its worth:)
My Hb1Ac range from 4.8 to 5.2 over 2 mths, doctor says if above 5.9 will have to take insulin even if daily readings are fine.

I can control my after food readings thru diet now but anyone knows how to bring down fasting sugar readings? My cut off for fasting is 4.9 and I'm currently at 4.9, previously was around 4.5-4.6

When i visited them that morning, my reading was 10.. n it slowly dropped after each reading but the nurse keep insisting i take insulin. I refused!!! She threatened to say that they will indicate in my report to say that i refused and if anything were to happen, i cannot hold them responsible. I agreed! Then they had no choice but to arrange for an appt to see my gynae and said if my gynae advised that i take insulin, then i will hv to take.

For the following 2 weeks, i control my diet and luckily readings went back to the normal range and didnt hv to take insulin...

Evilcarebear,
I feel you. I was happily pregnant until i went to ODAC.They gave us normal food and some training and deduct $500+ from cpf account. So far haven heard of nice experience from any mummies who went there? I went back to ODAC to return the meter and chat with the nurse. I told them i have a safe delivery without insulin. Next time i will dropby ODAC again if i go KKH and inform the nurse that i am back to normal. Purposely want to tell them that their judgement is not alway correct.

My Hb1Ac range from 4.8 to 5.2 over 2 mths, doctor says if above 5.9 will have to take insulin even if daily readings are fine.

I can control my after food readings thru diet now but anyone knows how to bring down fasting sugar readings? My cut off for fasting is 4.9 and I'm currently at 4.9, previously was around 4.5-4.6

Chocolatechip, the limit for fasting blood glucose is 4.5 to 5.5 right so yours is consider as within spec right?

Aiyoh...:( I don't remember my session being so jialat, maybe cos I was with 2 other more heavily pregnant women and out of the 3, only one had a fasting reading higher than 7. She was gently warned that she might have to be admitted for further observation if the readings were not good as the day wore on, but luckily she was borderline high, so we all went back with no hiccups.

From what I've read here, and on fb groups regarding ODAC experiences, the nurses and docs tend to err on the side of caution or employ scare tactics, maybe not realising it is quite a huge shock and lifestyle impact on those who have never been diagnosed with any major or chronic ailments before, let alone having to worry about the health of their unborn child.

I'm no fan of fearmongers, and am glad my nurse seemed more sensitive as my pregnancy was only week 8 (I was considered a less common case, GD usually detected at 24-28 weeks in KKH?) I'd probably burst into tears on the spot if I were in your shoes!

Nevertheless, jiayou jiayou mummies! Not long more to go!

thanks....I tend to become depressed every time after I see a doctor. So I've declined further appointments with the endocrinologist and dragging my gynae appointments. See less doctors, worry less :) That's my nurse friend's advise. Also trying to distract myself from all these worries but getting busy preparing for bb and my stuff for/ after delivery. Hoping my baby will not born sulky because of a depressed mummy.
I am also not a fan of seeing too many docs, but in my case, I endure the multiple visits and specialists as I have too many risk factors, and I have the "rather know than remain ignorant" type of personality. The way I figure, we are our best advocates, and so we have to be able to confront and manage our issues armed with the best tools - knowledge and awareness.

But not many people can do this, or perhaps have the experience or support to cope. I have observed a number of younger mummies who would rather not do these tests, not understanding the implications and repercussions of how their diet will affect the rest of their lives, as well as their babies.

Having the benefit of age and experience, I give myself some latitude towards this situation. Sure, I take care of this GD as best as possible, but it is a daily reminder and consistent vigil on my emotional and mental health that gets top priority. I have been previously diagnosed with clinical anxiety and depression, so I am even more mindful now that I am pregnant, what with hormones and other environmental stressors to manage this pregnancy with a more relaxed attitude. My husband has been instrumental in keeping me sane and I try my best not to overworry, so that he doesn't worry that I worry too hawhaw

Annnyyywayyy... Yes! Spending time preparing for baby's arrival can be very uplifting :) the baby cot arrived today, and it is full to the brim XD gotta stop shopping for baby clothes, retail therapy is not a good enough excuse!!!! :p

OK, my age is showing, thanks for sharing and reading this novel XD. Just remember Mummies, this is just another chapter of our lives, feel free to share and air your feelings. This is a support thread after all!!

Evilcarebear,
I feel you. I was happily pregnant until i went to ODAC.They gave us normal food and some training and deduct $500+ from cpf account. So far haven heard of nice experience from any mummies who went there? I went back to ODAC to return the meter and chat with the nurse. I told them i have a safe delivery without insulin. Next time i will dropby ODAC again if i go KKH and inform the nurse that i am back to normal. Purposely want to tell them that their judgement is not alway correct.
After a day at ODAC supposed to do a survey before we go hm yah? I chose that i will NOT recommend ODAC to pple i know. The Staff Nurse saw my inputs and repeated the question to me (thinking tt i am an idiot and i didn't understand initially). I replied "ya, i will not recommend!" Then she shook her head and went on to collect the other survey forms from the other mummies.. :p

After a day at ODAC supposed to do a survey before we go hm yah? I chose that i will NOT recommend ODAC to pple i know. The Staff Nurse saw my inputs and repeated the question to me (thinking tt i am an idiot and i didn't understand initially). I replied "ya, i will not recommend!" Then she shook her head and went on to collect the other survey forms from the other mummies.. :p

Hello mummy, you are correct to give them your honest opinion.

NO ONE should have the right to force us to take insulin jab if we decide we do not want it. Of cos, to be fair to them, our refusal will mean that any consequences, we should bear the responsibility. They should just advise nicely, state the fact squarely to us and respect our final decision whatever it is.

Hello mummy, you are correct to give them your honest opinion.

NO ONE should have the right to force us to take insulin jab if we decide we do not want it. Of cos, to be fair to them, our refusal will mean that any consequences, we should bear the responsibility. They should just advise nicely, state the fact squarely to us and respect our final decision whatever it is.
Indeed, otherwise the feedback form is just a waste of time.

Morning Mummies....

Today woke up feeling a bit guilty, cos I have been eating more (and naughtier) than usual, and get the feeling my bsp sure fail even though my weekly still OK so far..maybe due to approaching 3rd trimester and hormonal shifts, also finding it difficult to refrain from cheat foods, and every meal like cannot tell when to stop eating!?? I am beginning to experience heartburn, each morning my tummy will rumble and baby will kick to make me get breakfast, even if I had ample supper the night before... What is going on???

I have my next detailed scan on Wednesday and although I skipped last 2 mth dietitian appt, think it is time to schedule another chitchat session with her to boost my resolve :(

How is everyone else coping?

Morning Mummies....

Today woke up feeling a bit guilty, cos I have been eating more (and naughtier) than usual, and get the feeling my bsp sure fail even though my weekly still OK so far..maybe due to approaching 3rd trimester and hormonal shifts, also finding it difficult to refrain from cheat foods, and every meal like cannot tell when to stop eating!?? I am beginning to experience heartburn, each morning my tummy will rumble and baby will kick to make me get breakfast, even if I had ample supper the night before... What is going on???

I have my next detailed scan on Wednesday and although I skipped last 2 mth dietitian appt, think it is time to schedule another chitchat session with her to boost my resolve :(

How is everyone else coping?
Snowfern you are around 20weeks? I been eating usual portions and reading under control. I don't have cravings though. Yesterday took a few sticks of Satay post dinner reading shot to 7.7. So really can't cheat haha.

Snowfern you are around 20weeks? I been eating usual portions and reading under control. I don't have cravings though. Yesterday took a few sticks of Satay post dinner reading shot to 7.7. So really can't cheat haha.

Omg been craving satay but managed to hold back so far...u eat w the peanut sauce? And ketupat?

I am at 29 weeks le, can really feel my resolve weakening, used to be very good at portioning and keeping food off my mind but last week....aiyoh....moody when I cannot eat my fave foods some more, was OK from week 8 to 27 ley????

I also have more cravings and hv more cheat days during my last trimester.

One way perhaps is to eat alittle of your cravings 2 to 3 times a week. Then i wld control my intake for dinner. My dinner is usually 2 spoons of brown rice and lotsa veg n meat/fish. That did help to control my readings

Just when I started to pick up my appetite at 28 weeks, I was diagnosed with GD. Already only gained 3kg pregnancy weight, now lost 1kg more. On normal weekdays, for breakfast I will eat plain oats, and whole meal bread with tuna + cheese, or eggs + cheese. Readings are usually good. Lunch I will cook in office using electric lunch box (brown rice and I dish). If I eat out, I will eat subway (multigrain roasted chicken breast with tomatoes and lettuce, no sauce). Readings will be within range. YTF or BKT at song fa for dinner will be in good range too. If I want to test other food which may spike my readings, I will try to spread out within the week or weeks. I read that occasional spikes in blood glucose will not really harm baby, as long as you are able to regulate back to normal in subsequent readings. The concerns will be continuous spike that body cannot regulate/ control.

I have also put on only 3kg so far at 30 weeks....

I do cheat a little like have avocado milkshake but ask for less honey so that it is not sweet

Autumn dew when u eat bak ku teh...u just eat the meat and soup or with rice too?

We usually order the lean meat with soup, vegetables, tau kee and peanuts. I will only take a very little portion of rice from my husband.

I'm 33 weeks already... Counting down every day...

Your ba ku Teh got dip dark sauce? Now U make me tempted to eat haha.

Nowadays my indulgence snack is chicken pie or curry puff. So far reading still ok with this two snack.

Sounds like we all gain about the same! I gained about 2.5 kgs so far at 29weeks, maybe will hit 3kgs by Wednesday's scan XD

Our diets also sama sama ley, but I still avoid fried foods...today also jialat, went pizza hut cos it was crowded everywhere else, in a social setting I also don't want to be too picky... Wound up eating pizza topping off the thin crust base (throw the oily base) and only eating the dry and less oily side crust.....Caesar salad w no dressing, and two spoonfuls of aglio olio. Wonder if it would have passed but figured, ey, let this be considered 2 cheat meals worth :-/

So far my daily bkfast is scrambled egg w tomato, cheese, on 2 slices wholemeal bread and milk. Always safely pass. Then lunch is usually brown rice beehoon soup, or kimchi fried brown rice, or egg tofu seaweed soup w shabu shabu meat 4-5 slices. Always w lotsa veggies. Hardest part to control is dinner, cos mil cooks and is paiseh to keep avoiding or teaching her about a diabetic diet....she's already v v accommodating and cut down on a lot of fried foods, or omitting sugar....but somehow still bordering on 6-6.5.

I think my biggest struggle now is portion control, where I used to be full rather quickly, now even 1 whole bowl of brown rice and double the amt of veggies I used to eat, still don't feel full, or will get hungry sooner than 2 hrs after meal. Very odd.......

Different food works for different pple. I think most importantly cut dwn on fried food will help reading to be w/in the range. :)

One day I was browsing through the shelves at Guardian and saw that they sell glucose meter at the same price as I paid for my rental set (though different brands). The glucose strips and lancets were much cheaper too. Kicked myself for not having done prior research cos I could have bought one myself and could continue to use after I give birth. I also went Guardian to check out the price of glucose strips and lancets compatible with my rental set. The outlet doesn't have my glucose strips, but the lancets and alcohol swabs were more than half price cheaper than what I paid at my gynae My gynae already overcharged himself, these kind of things also want to earn more than double. So I decided to buy the supplies myself and don't let him earn!

One day I was browsing through the shelves at Guardian and saw that they sell glucose meter at the same price as I paid for my rental set (though different brands). The glucose strips and lancets were much cheaper too. Kicked myself for not having done prior research cos I could have bought one myself and could continue to use after I give birth. I also went Guardian to check out the price of glucose strips and lancets compatible with my rental set. The outlet doesn't have my glucose strips, but the lancets and alcohol swabs were more than half price cheaper than what I paid at my gynae My gynae already overcharged himself, these kind of things also want to earn more than double. So I decided to buy the supplies myself and don't let him earn!
Wah! JTS, at KKH the rental is $20 iirc.....I bought a freestyle optium neo, and lancets are the safeticet yellow (finest tip) recommended by the nurse to be least painful...$20 per box of 100 at Unity. We opted to buy the unit because the nurse strongly recommended us to monitor even after birth to ensure the GD has gone away....the strips are super costly tho, but after KKH subsidy is about $45 for a box of 50. It is slightly cheaper at hougang polyclinic NHG pharmacy if you are a chronic patient, but with, not worth making a trip down just to save 2 bucks hehe.

Back