IVF/ICSI Support Group

I just confirmed with pregnancy two weeks after embryo transfer but my tummy was bloated as if I was at least 3-4 months pregnant ever since the embryo transfer and it is just getting bigger. I wonder if this is normal due to the hormone medicine I have been taking either the gel or now the oral type. I need to urinate very often and I cannot sleep on my side as I feel the pain when I press either right or left side of my tummy, so I cannot really have a good sleep every night. I feel very down as my jeans and pants can't fit anymore and not to lead any questions from colleagues I tried to wear loose clothes that I can only repeat the same almost every week. Anyone experienced the same as me? Did your tummy back to normal once you stop the hormone medicine? Thank you.
its normal. stay happy and relax! congrats!!❤️

I just confirmed with pregnancy two weeks after embryo transfer but my tummy was bloated as if I was at least 3-4 months pregnant ever since the embryo transfer and it is just getting bigger. I wonder if this is normal due to the hormone medicine I have been taking either the gel or now the oral type. I need to urinate very often and I cannot sleep on my side as I feel the pain when I press either right or left side of my tummy, so I cannot really have a good sleep every night. I feel very down as my jeans and pants can't fit anymore and not to lead any questions from colleagues I tried to wear loose clothes that I can only repeat the same almost every week. Anyone experienced the same as me? Did your tummy back to normal once you stop the hormone medicine? Thank you.

Dear Giagia,
Congrats on your successful IVF :)
Regarding the bloatedness, I am not sure if you have heard about Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) before. You may Google it.
Maybe it is better for you to consult your IVF doctor or nurses to rule out this OHSS, just incase.
Have a smooth and pleasant pregnancy, rest well!

It's likely due to late onset OHSS, how many follicles you extracted? Even mild OHSS, you get very bloated tummy. I had that from 7dp5dt to week 6 (just last Friday), the bloating went down a lot but ovaries still enlarged. It was pretty bad as I couldn't eat much, bend down and can only move slowly then. Drink non carbonated isotonic and take protein rich food. Take care and congrats!

Congrats @Giagia!
It's normal to feel that way. That's how i feel when I'm preg 3 years ago. Frequent visits to the toilet, feel very thirsty all the time, tummy bloated that look like 3 mths preg though I'm don't have ohss. The bloatedness will slowly wear off. Do drink more non carbonated isotonic drink.
Congrats once again & do take care!

Just got my appraisal letter and my big boss warned me nicely that my absence this yr will affect my bonus next yr. And that was before i told her i will have to take leave again for ivf round 2 in a few months. I guess that is reality, but still sian to hear.

Just got my appraisal letter and my big boss warned me nicely that my absence this yr will affect my bonus next yr. And that was before i told her i will have to take leave again for ivf round 2 in a few months. I guess that is reality, but still sian to hear.
Omg... that mus have been very sian right? I also hear that fr my boss but she never mention abt bonus. But know she not happy of my frequent leaves esp when i am on the finance side thats why i guess. I dont feel good after hearing her respond it kind of affected me for a week. But dh told me baby is more impt as the job will not stay with us forever but our baby will. The worst case find another one after 1 year. Lol.

If u conceive w singlet most likely u can stop hormone pill after first trimm. If not it will be throughtout whole pregnancy. I had similar problem on left ovary pain n I took isotonic non gassy drink to reduce bloatedness n pain. Congrats and jia you!!

Omg... that mus have been very sian right? I also hear that fr my boss but she never mention abt bonus. But know she not happy of my frequent leaves esp when i am on the finance side thats why i guess. I dont feel good after hearing her respond it kind of affected me for a week. But dh told me baby is more impt as the job will not stay with us forever but our baby will. The worst case find another one after 1 year. Lol.
When i told my small boss i had to take 2 weeks mc after my 1st transfer, he asked me if i had to take the entire 2 weeks. Sian half. Dunno what he will say when i need to go for round 2. Havent told him yet. But i agree with you totally, baby is most impt. Work is just work.

When i told my small boss i had to take 2 weeks mc after my 1st transfer, he asked me if i had to take the entire 2 weeks. Sian half. Dunno what he will say when i need to go for round 2. Havent told him yet. But i agree with you totally, baby is most impt. Work is just work.
These ppl really no empathy one leh. They don't understand how agonizing this is for us lor. But I also agree. Baby more important than job.

Mine more jialat.. i think i took some leaves for ivf in oct and jan. Then now i take again.. you? Your previous ones dates also very near? I understand some sis here left the job due to work commitments and to focus on ivf. I think this onr no choice have to pre-empt them 1st. They cannot dont let u go and do ba.

By the way ah ladies,I just want to ask a question to all of you. Do you all see any infertile colleagues at work? I'm curious because at tmc, tfc and Kk have so many couples seeking treatment. But why I'm always surrounded by fertile couples !!! Actually I know I have a couple of colleagues also trying to have kid also. But majority is really when they ask for it they get it. Sob sob.

By the way ah ladies,I just want to ask a question to all of you. Do you all see any infertile colleagues at work? I'm curious because at tmc, tfc and Kk have so many couples seeking treatment. But why I'm always surrounded by fertile couples !!! Actually I know I have a couple of colleagues also trying to have kid also. But majority is really when they ask for it they get it. Sob sob.
Hi Muff,

Ppl ard me do get preg easily but I do have a couple frens that is going thru ivf work wise my colleague all seems no prob ley. Like touch a bit will get preg kind.

Hi Muff,

Ppl ard me do get preg easily but I do have a couple frens that is going thru ivf work wise my colleague all seems no prob ley. Like touch a bit will get preg kind.
Same lei. One can still complain try 3 months very hard. *bish bish!* when I started ivf the doc told me I'm still young (I was 33). Now thh tells me Aiya u aging liao can do fresh cycle then decide on the frozen later. Which makes sense. From young do till old. What is 3 months ?!!

Same lei. One can still complain try 3 months very hard. *bish bish!* when I started ivf the doc told me I'm still young (I was 33). Now thh tells me Aiya u aging liao can do fresh cycle then decide on the frozen later. Which makes sense. From young do till old. What is 3 months ?!!
you are so cute. colleague wise, my office here all young chap hvnt married yet. however, frds ard me all married with kids liao and all seems like get pregnant easily. when they say want to try then the next moment they are pregnant liao.

Mine more jialat.. i think i took some leaves for ivf in oct and jan. Then now i take again.. you? Your previous ones dates also very near? I understand some sis here left the job due to work commitments and to focus on ivf. I think this onr no choice have to pre-empt them 1st. They cannot dont let u go and do ba.
Ya lor, have to tell them earlier coz my job will need someone to cover for me also. Ur boss will still let u go right? Actually i only did once and took leave in mar. But dunno why my boss have the impression i always take leave and even bring up my 2mths mc in end 2014 (for my ectopic pregnancy and surgery) and urgent leave in 2015 (less than 2 weeks in total coz my relatives passed away overseas in july and oct). Just feel like so unfair. And make comments like i seem very focused on family.

Most of my colleagues also seem vv fertile. But i bumped into a colleague at kkivf clinic and we were both like omg! But too late to siam. My organisation is quite big, I know of 4 colleagues who did ivf before and all succeeded on first try! My boss is one of them somemore.

Ya lor I start from 30 now 34 after so many rounds finally bfp. When first start everyone ask me so young why go do but at the same time keep asking me when u plan to have one. Sian to hear such things ppl just Don understand how hard it is for us.

1 example is married 1 mth jiu got good news liao. sobs sobs. me been trying for abt gg 2yrs.

Ya lor, have to tell them earlier coz my job will need someone to cover for me also. Ur boss will still let u go right? Actually i only did once and took leave in mar. But dunno why my boss have the impression i always take leave and even bring up my 2mths mc in end 2014 (for my ectopic pregnancy and surgery) and urgent leave in 2015 (less than 2 weeks in total coz my relatives passed away overseas in july and oct). Just feel like so unfair. And make comments like i seem very focused on family.
like that really unfair. so long liao still take up and say.. i am wondering am i the only person who took so much leaves for ivf. abit paiseh. hahah =x

Ya lor I start from 30 now 34 after so many rounds finally bfp. When first start everyone ask me so young why go do but at the same time keep asking me when u plan to have one. Sian to hear such things ppl just Don understand how hard it is for us.
i feel you. when i told my boss early last year i am gg for this. she was like huh? 'you are so young still got alot of time' why wanna torture? they really dont understand our struggles.... others can have it anytime they want, just do jiu have le.

i feel you. when i told my boss early last year i am gg for this. she was like huh? 'you are so young still got alot of time' why wanna torture? they really dont understand our struggles.... others can have it anytime they want, just do jiu have le.
Its really vv hard for pple to understand how tough it is. When my colleague heard my cycle failed, the first thing she said was "oh this kind of thing usually take a few times to work right". Thanks ah, so helpful, just the thing i needed to hear.

From my seat, I have 3 female colleagues sitting around me who are married for many years but do not have kids. When I asked them, they don't even dare to think of ivf, scared of needles and pain. So to all the sisters here, we are very brave to be in this journey *pat pat* I am sure our effort would pay off one day, persevere as long as we can

In my previous workplace got a few colleagues went for ivf and were very opened about it. And in this company, most tried very hard to strike. Don't know if it is work-stress. LOL
I same age as you le, but thh say still young can try again. But of coz for fresh cycle, the younger we do it, the "younger" the eggs and maybe better quality too.

Siao, it is not wrong for a family man/woman to focus on family! Family is for a lifetime le. Even the govt is pushing for couples to conceive. What is wrong with it?

You are experiencing late-onset OHSS, like what Hope2016 and me had after we tested positive for pregnancy. It's due to the pregnancy hormones rather than the hormone medicine you are taking for womb support. It's really just waiting it out - mine subsided around week 7, but there are cases that persist until end of first trimester. Drink more non-gassy isotonic fluids, and maintain a high protein diet. It's not the best feeling in the world, but it'll go off eventually. Congratulations!

My workplace has a mixture - have very fertile ones and also have some who went for IVF. Thankfully my workplace is very open about this and my boss is open to the idea of people seeking fertility treatment (did tell my boss a few months in advance to pre-empt).

To think about it, we only start to notice about the 'fertility' status of our friends/colleagues when we are TTC. If we are the ones who have no problems conceiving, we may not get to know whether others have problems. Moreover, assisted reproductive techniques are simply not talked about in the open, like there's still a stigma attached. Look at the recent fertility awareness campaign - got so much criticism that the information is being forced down people's throats and is scare-mongering.

you are so cute. colleague wise, my office here all young chap hvnt married yet. however, frds ard me all married with kids liao and all seems like get pregnant easily. when they say want to try then the next moment they are pregnant liao.
Precisely. How come I'm not one of them. Angry.

Most of my colleagues also seem vv fertile. But i bumped into a colleague at kkivf clinic and we were both like omg! But too late to siam. My organisation is quite big, I know of 4 colleagues who did ivf before and all succeeded on first try! My boss is one of them somemore.
Wah lau. Ur boss so lucky. Those one try one shot also lucky !!! Sob sob sob!! I've also bumped into my husband colleague at clinic. Omg cannot Siam. Our faces were like hot man

In my previous workplace got a few colleagues went for ivf and were very opened about it. And in this company, most tried very hard to strike. Don't know if it is work-stress. LOL
I same age as you le, but thh say still young can try again. But of coz for fresh cycle, the younger we do it, the "younger" the eggs and maybe better quality too.
I have crappy eggs. Hopefully under his new protocol can Improve. This cycle not bad. Haha

My workplace has a mixture - have very fertile ones and also have some who went for IVF. Thankfully my workplace is very open about this and my boss is open to the idea of people seeking fertility treatment (did tell my boss a few months in advance to pre-empt).

To think about it, we only start to notice about the 'fertility' status of our friends/colleagues when we are TTC. If we are the ones who have no problems conceiving, we may not get to know whether others have problems. Moreover, assisted reproductive techniques are simply not talked about in the open, like there's still a stigma attached. Look at the recent fertility awareness campaign - got so much criticism that the information is being forced down people's throats and is scare-mongering.
My boss is also supportive. So I'm quite lucky in the sense that he knows everything and supports me all the way. But ya fertility is a taboo topic at times. I do speak to my colleagues Abt my ivfs. Those in the same boat as me. Sigh. If only government have more campaign Abt infertility than asking ppl to start family. Grrr

My boss is also supportive. So I'm quite lucky in the sense that he knows everything and supports me all the way. But ya fertility is a taboo topic at times. I do speak to my colleagues Abt my ivfs. Those in the same boat as me. Sigh. If only government have more campaign Abt infertility than asking ppl to start family. Grrr
and also if there is more subsidy for people like us who is undergoing the ivf program. 2016 budget should mention this too. side by side together with the baby bonus ma.. sob sob... :(

You are very 勇敢咯。really peifu you. My 1st cycle failed with 1 egg and cancelled et i was like dying already! We all jiayou together! The time where i can let it all out is here talking and sharing with you sisters! Dont think outsiders know what we are facing! We are the 强者!
people outside will never understand how we go through all this. gambateh!!!

I am surrounded by many fertile couple too.... friend getting pregnant for no 1.. no 2.. no 3....! and some even no 4 and decide not to keep the baby....

I do have a personal friend who is also trying v hard for baby... we use to keep each other updated on our own condition.. what treatment we are seeking.... but it seems like we are not updating each other as much now... My guess is we both are afraid to know that either one of us getting pregnant 1st will add on stress to another..... or perhaps we do not want to be the last one left out....

So now are on our own trying hard for a baby.... and maybe we can share when we are successful...

My boss earlier have also express that I am taking too much MC / last min leave.... She didn't know that im doing IVF and I have no intention to tell her...
As at now I can only appear to be a irresponsible employee until one day when I success in having a baby .. perhaps I could explain to her...

I Feel you totally....

You are very 勇敢咯。really peifu you. My 1st cycle failed with 1 egg and cancelled et i was like dying already! We all jiayou together! The time where i can let it all out is here talking and sharing with you sisters! Dont think outsiders know what we are facing! We are the 强者!
Xie xie. We JIAYOU together!

Wow wow wow so many of you have been surrounded by fertile people at work too. Sighs. It's really hard one lor when they start talking about their kids then you go errrrrrr.

My personal friends are also all pregnant liao gave birth liao. Sian

My boss earlier have also express that I am taking too much MC / last min leave.... She didn't know that im doing IVF and I have no intention to tell her...
As at now I can only appear to be a irresponsible employee until one day when I success in having a baby .. perhaps I could explain to her...

I Feel you totally....
Im sure u have ur reasons why u dont want to tell her, but i can imagine it must be very stressful coz the scans are so many and frequent. Fighting!

In a way, now i dont have to feel guilty about taking frequent mc and leave since they already made it clear im gg to pay for it.

Wah lau. Ur boss so lucky. Those one try one shot also lucky !!! Sob sob sob!! I've also bumped into my husband colleague at clinic. Omg cannot Siam. Our faces were like hot man
Ya lor, so envious. They made me so hopeful before my 1st cycle coz they were all older than me. So devastated when failed and gotta start all over again. This tells me its not all abt age. Jia you!

Wonder how much fertility awareness campaign can help. I feel that only people who has been through it understands the struggles and pain. I used to try and reach out to friends for support, but it feels worse when people dont understand and say insensitive things. Thankful to find ladies here that totally understand.

You are experiencing late-onset OHSS, like what Hope2016 and me had after we tested positive for pregnancy. It's due to the pregnancy hormones rather than the hormone medicine you are taking for womb support. It's really just waiting it out - mine subsided around week 7, but there are cases that persist until end of first trimester. Drink more non-gassy isotonic fluids, and maintain a high protein diet. It's not the best feeling in the world, but it'll go off eventually. Congratulations!

Thanks for your information, I hope it will subside asap...

Dear Giagia,
Congrats on your successful IVF :)
Regarding the bloatedness, I am not sure if you have heard about Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) before. You may Google it.
Maybe it is better for you to consult your IVF doctor or nurses to rule out this OHSS, just incase.
Have a smooth and pleasant pregnancy, rest well!

Thanks a lot, I will google it and see what I can do to reduce the symptom.

It's likely due to late onset OHSS, how many follicles you extracted? Even mild OHSS, you get very bloated tummy. I had that from 7dp5dt to week 6 (just last Friday), the bloating went down a lot but ovaries still enlarged. It was pretty bad as I couldn't eat much, bend down and can only move slowly then. Drink non carbonated isotonic and take protein rich food. Take care and congrats!

I got 12 follicles extracted and 7 with good grade to be used, transfer 2 with grade 5. I can eat but the tummy is even bloated after eating and I am craving for soup, like those boiled soup with ribs, chicken soup, bah kut teh, this type of soup stuff. Thank you for your advice and sharing.

Wonder how much fertility awareness campaign can help. I feel that only people who has been through it understands the struggles and pain. I used to try and reach out to friends for support, but it feels worse when people dont understand and say insensitive things. Thankful to find ladies here that totally understand.
Sometimes I feel best is not to discuss at all with friends or colleagues. Some are just kaypoh and pretend to be understanding. Some tried to be understanding but I Guess is really hard if you are not going through it personally.

Wow wow wow so many of you have been surrounded by fertile people at work too. Sighs. It's really hard one lor when they start talking about their kids then you go errrrrrr.

My personal friends are also all pregnant liao gave birth liao. Sian
I feel you. Worse is to have colleague who was also trying together, got pregnant and come back from maternity leave and ask " so still no good news?"

Sometimes I feel best is not to discuss at all with friends or colleagues. Some are just kaypoh and pretend to be understanding. Some tried to be understanding but I Guess is really hard if you are not going through it personally.
I agree. It feels like such a lonely journey sometimes that u just need someone to talk to. Now i talk to my hubby only, luckily he understands altho i can see him switching off sometimes when i talk abt it. And i have to admit that this has affected my friendships with a few close friends altho i try and think that i shdnt expect too much from them.

Last edited:

Back