(2016/03) March 2016 Babies!!

@pixie ng

I'm also starting to think about NICU thingy. Am thinking of SGH or KKH instead. I didn't know about the referral letter part. My mum thinks it's bad to change doc half way. Most probably discuss it in the later stage of the pregnancy with my doc.

how to claim??

I prepare the receipt together with my maternity bag. After giving birth, I saw hubby got lots of paper work to fill up including the Baby bonus account. I think he submitted at the same time to the hospital counter.

@pixie ng

I'm also starting to think about NICU thingy. Am thinking of SGH or KKH instead. I didn't know about the referral letter part. My mum thinks it's bad to change doc half way. Most probably discuss it in the later stage of the pregnancy with my doc.
ya..i read that mount E is $1000 per day. NUH (1 bedder charge) is $600++. so is 40% cheaper than mount E...
imagine if my twins hv to stay 7 days, total will be SGD14K!!!!! :eek:

ya..i read that mount E is $1000 per day. NUH (1 bedder charge) is $600++. so is 40% cheaper than mount E...

I think your concerns are very valid. Better consider properly. I heard before if there are complications, NUH can better handle the situation better compared to private hospital.

Not just mount e, almost all private hospital nicu charges that price. If u r worried abt cost then u have to go as a subsized patient else the cost will not diff that much. U don't compare only mummy bed ward charge because likely u'll discharge earlier than ur bb if they need nicu.

And yes i do heard of cases where government hospital reject those who came in too late. Especially KKH, so if u r planning on subsized rate just go with government hospital all the way. And a referral doesn't always work, have heard of a case where a pte gyane refuse to continue seeing a mummy due to conplications and she tried to sought help frm KKH, initally the hospital also reject her asking her to look for alternatives, only in the very end no other choice they accept but imagine the stress that mummy is going thru.

Hafidza,
Just back from gynae appt.
Dr Heng package has increased to $1k from $800 the last time i see.
Sounds quite expensive but I don't know what is the average range of current packages cost. Since it's my first pregnancy plus recommended by my SIL and friend who just recently gave birth and also read good reviews of her, hopefully hubby ok after hearing the price. Thank you so much for keeping me updated on this!

Last edited:
Sounds quite expensive but I don't know what is the average range of current packages cost. Since it's my first pregnancy plus recommended by my SIL and friend who just recently gave birth and also read good reviews of her, hopefully hubby ok after hearing the price. Thank you so much for keeping me updated on this!

I think $1k is cheap already? As in cheap for private gynae. Cos i know my gyane is at least around double or triple the price.

Last edited:
Not just mount e, almost all private hospital nicu charges that price. If u r worried abt cost then u have to go as a subsized patient else the cost will not diff that much. U don't compare only mummy bed ward charge because likely u'll discharge earlier than ur bb if they need nicu.

And yes i do heard of cases where government hospital reject those who came in too late. Especially KKH, so if u r planning on subsized rate just go with government hospital all the way. And a referral doesn't always work, have heard of a case where a pte gyane refuse to continue seeing a mummy due to conplications and she tried to sought help frm KKH, initally the hospital also reject her asking her to look for alternatives, only in the very end no other choice they accept but imagine the stress that mummy is going thru.
Im not comparing bed ward with nicu. Mount e nicu is 1k per night. Nuh is $600+ if u r 1 bedder. 4 bedder and 6 bedder will be diff prices for nicu in nuh.

And i definitely will not go kkh and also not be subsidize patient coz i do not want to share ward with others. So i comparing mount e 1 bedder price with nuh 1 bedder price

If complications, any gynae can reject u. Even u sign maternity package with nuh. They do have a fine print that they can void the package if complication. Thats why it is impt to find a good gynae.

Im not comparing bed ward with nicu. Mount e nicu is 1k per night. Nuh is $600+ if u r 1 bedder. 4 bedder and 6 bedder will be diff prices for nicu in nuh.

And i definitely will not go kkh and also not be subsidize patient coz i do not want to share ward with others. So i comparing mount e 1 bedder price with nuh 1 bedder price

If complications, any gynae can reject u. Even u sign maternity package with nuh. They do have a fine print that they can void the package if complication. Thats why it is impt to find a good gynae.
Ya, even KKH tried to reject initially also causing big stress to the mother.

Ya, even KKH tried to reject initially also causing big stress to the mother.
ya because hospital also gt limited space as well, especially KKH. but for public hospital only NUH or KKH is fully equipped, so can choose either these two. if choose other, they dun have necessary also need to transfer to NUH or KKH...

i have a colleague's friend is under TMC. also due to complication, the gynae refuse to operate on her due to insufficient equipment in TMC. then transfer to KKH in emergency. that's why when choosing gynae (which is tag to the hospital) must choose properly lo. coz if wrong hospital, your gynae also can't help

hopefully i can natural birth even is 20% chance only. and able to carry full term, at least nearly to full term. then i confirm will stay at mount E, wun even consider NUH at all. coz if just the cost for myself only, mount E and NUH is not much difference.

ya because hospital also gt limited space as well, especially KKH. but for public hospital only NUH or KKH is fully equipped, so can choose either these two. if choose other, they dun have necessary also need to transfer to NUH or KKH...

i have a colleague's friend is under TMC. also due to complication, the gynae refuse to operate on her due to insufficient equipment in TMC. then transfer to KKH in emergency. that's why when choosing gynae (which is tag to the hospital) must choose properly lo. coz if wrong hospital, your gynae also can't help

hopefully i can natural birth even is 20% chance only. and able to carry full term, at least nearly to full term. then i confirm will stay at mount E, wun even consider NUH at all. coz if just the cost for myself only, mount E and NUH is not much difference.
What is the cost for mount e.

Haha! Now I know. Thanks for educating me!

Hafidza,
I told the staff also..$1k?? So ex.
They tell me...actually her price very cheap already. For a senior doctor who is more than 30yrs in practice. She say some new junior gynae charge more expensive..
Lol...

Hafidza,
They tell me...actually her price very cheap already. For a senior doctor who is more than 30yrs in practice. She say some new junior gynae charge more expensive..
Lol...
i think 1K is quite normal. not cheap not exp...

my gynae also more than 30yrs in practice, each time is $80 to $100 (consulation) + $80 (ultrasound). also will give me the photos of the ultrasound for free. i need to see her once a month. so if need to see her for 7 more months (which means 7 session) would $1260 in total...

maybe need to check package includes how many session and what is inclusive.

Nope KKH got the space but they refused to accept her due to her suddenly in so late and they don't know anything abt her so they don't want to bear the responsiblity if anything happen. So at the end of day if u know ur pregnancy is high risk, and money is an issue better see gyane frm the government hospital from the start.

does anyone know how often we will need to see our gynae during the pregnancy?
i think depending on your pregnancy...
for me, is twins so need to see more often...

my colleague has 1 baby, so gynae see her every 2 to 3 months.

Now is once a month. Till 32wks onwards then get closer. After 37wks is once a wk...something like that..
Cos for my #01 and #02, I deliver at 38wks both...

Nope KKH got the space but they refused to accept her due to her suddenly in so late and they don't know anything abt her so they don't want to bear the responsiblity if anything happen. So at the end of day if u know ur pregnancy is high risk, and money is an issue better see gyane frm the government hospital from the start.
i guess most people doesn't know whether is high risk, only until last trimester?
for me, only last trimester then my gynae can advise whether i can go natural birth or c-sect. and whether my babies need how many days nicu is a big question mark.

I think at least 50% will know already by 2nd trimester. This is the group i'm talking abt that should go straight to gynae in government hospitals.

Frankly speaking, even myself i also have plans if mine is a last min emergency case i'll just check myself in to KKH or NUH due to the prohibitive cost in pte hospital but will discuss on this with my gyane later

I think at least 50% will know already by 2nd trimester. This is the group i'm talking abt that should go straight to gynae in government hospitals.

Frankly speaking, even myself i also have plans if mine is a last min emergency case i'll just check myself in to KKH or NUH due to the prohibitive cost in pte hospital but will discuss on this with my gyane later
u mean by 2nd trimester, gynae can determine that baby will heads-down position or not?
i thought normally last trimester then can confirm...

for my gynae, she only explains the schedule for first trimester only. she say later trimester will let me know what the schedules, dos and don'ts in the later part. lucky for me, i dun have any health conditions so at least can rule health condition related complications out.

my friend has heart murmur. by right she is unfit to have children. then on last trimester, she fainted and suddenly heart stop beating. so they send her to the nearest hospital which is SGH. then they also need to take out baby at once, but SGH dun have NICU. end up baby send to KKH or NUH (cant remember which). she coma for a month at SGH, then baby in NICU for 2 months

Hafidza,
Lol...
Anything which is excluded in the package? Cos I double checked with my SIL, she said scans inclusive except certain medications only. Is it true?

u mean by 2nd trimester, gynae can determine that baby will heads-down position or not?
i thought normally last trimester then can confirm...

for my gynae, she only explains the schedule for first trimester only. she say later trimester will let me know what the schedules, dos and don'ts in the later part. lucky for me, i dun have any health conditions so at least can rule health condition related complications out.

my friend has heart murmur. by right she is unfit to have children. then on last trimester, she fainted and suddenly heart stop beating. so they send her to the nearest hospital which is SGH. then they also need to take out baby at once, but SGH dun have NICU. end up baby send to KKH or NUH (cant remember which). she coma for a month at SGH, then baby in NICU for 2 months
Complications for pregnancy takes many forms not just the position for the baby. For example, v low or obstructing placenta position is also a kind of complications. Also certain genetic conditions that may be detected on the end of the 1st trimester test.

Depends on ur gyane but most r chill w it. Is that a reason why u want elective c section? Natural birth have much more benefits than csect.

I see. just my personal choice. i also agree that natural has more benefits but im feel really scared abt the possibilities that can go wrong with natural. perhaps is fear due to my mom had difficulty with natural and had to go with emergency c section and on hub side his sis couldnt come out and doc had to use forceps.. end up the ligament in her arm is torn and cant really use her right arm now.

I see. just my personal choice. i also agree that natural has more benefits but im feel really scared abt the possibilities that can go wrong with natural. perhaps is fear due to my mom had difficulty with natural and had to go with emergency c section and on hub side his sis couldnt come out and doc had to use forceps.. end up the ligament in her arm is torn and cant really use her right arm now.
But csect has its risk as well that can be ugly. I was a emergency csect baby my mum told me but imo natural is well worth the risk esp with med science that are so much more advance.

What if I wish to opt for elective c section. Will my gynae refuse?
if i can, which i only have 20%, i would opt for natural birth without epidural..personally for me, is a once in a life experience which only mother can go thru.
if can't, i would be disappointed but for the sake of the babies, then have to c-sect lo

but i dun think gynae can refuse you. you can choose how you want to give birth. my friend opt for c-sect and ask the doc can do lipo together as well. the doc say is possible but quite risky, so she just went ahead with c-sect

Complications for pregnancy takes many forms not just the position for the baby. For example, v low or obstructing placenta position is also a kind of complications. Also certain genetic conditions that may be detected on the end of the 1st trimester test.
err..ya... but even everything goes well, i still need to wait until last trimester to decide coz need to see whether the babies position is correct or not. even both of my babies head down, also need to see both of the position is correct or not. but actually the price of c-sect and natural birth is not that huge difference, less than 5k difference. i'm more worried on nicu which is more predictable on the last trimester.

for those with twins, below is reference i gotten from another thread:
Mount Elizabeth Novena
Wife bill: $15,000 (before the $3950 medisave) 4 days stay
Boys bill: 22,000 (before the $7200 medisave) 7 days stay

Last edited:
if i can, which i only have 20%, i would opt for natural birth without epidural..personally for me, is a once in a life experience which only mother can go thru.
if can't, i would be disappointed but for the sake of the babies, then have to c-sect lo

but i dun think gynae can refuse you. you can choose how you want to give birth. my friend opt for c-sect and ask the doc can do lipo together as well. the doc say is possible but quite risky, so she just went ahead with c-sect

WOW with lipo?? that's interesting.. haha

WOW with lipo?? that's interesting.. haha
ya..there are some gynae who have this package. c-sect + lipo, so you only need to go surgery once instead of twice...haha... i think there is market for mothers who want to lose weight immediately after giving birth. but so far, i still don't know anyone who go ahead with this package. perhaps the risk is high?

ya..there are some gynae who have this package. c-sect + lipo, so you only need to go surgery once instead of twice...haha... i think there is market for mothers who want to lose weight immediately after giving birth. but so far, i still don't know anyone who go ahead with this package. perhaps the risk is high?

i definitely dont think my gynae will offer such package.. prob scold me haha! its better to lose weight naturally. skinny but unhealthy body is no good.

err..ya... but even everything goes well, i still need to wait until last trimester to decide coz need to see whether the babies position is correct or not. even both of my babies head down, also need to see both of the position is correct or not. but actually the price of c-sect and natural birth is not that huge difference, less than 5k difference. i'm more worried on nicu which is more predictable on the last trimester.

for those with twins, below is reference i gotten from another thread:
Mount Elizabeth Novena
Wife bill: $15,000 (before the $3950 medisave) 4 days stay
Boys bill: 22,000 (before the $7200 medisave) 7 days stay
Ya, for ur case when everything is smooth u won know if there r any complications until later la.

Back