Textures – A Weekend with Words
Fri Mar 9 - Sun Mar 11 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 pm
Celebrating Singapore’s vibrant literary landscape, Textures – A Weekend with Words will explore and champion Singapore writing in over 30 programmes. Co-commissioned by The Arts House and #BuySinglit, and supported by the National Arts Council, the inaugural three-day festival also puts a spotlight on the literary community in Singapore — from writers, publishers and booksellers, to translators, editors and more.
Dive in, appreciate, and enjoy the power and beauty of words. Activities include dramatised performances of iconic Singaporean works, panel discussions, film screenings, workshops and other programmes that traverse genres and forms.
1. Open: A Boy’s Wayang Adventure, based on the upcoming film The Wayang Kids directed by Raymond Tan. The creative minds behind the middle-grade novel, author Eva Wong Nava and Tan, will engage in a discussion on how Singapore literature can play a part in encouraging inclusivity and preserving our cultural history.
2. The #BuySingLit Bazaar which features established and independent writers and publishers.
3. Stuck on you, modelled after the popular magnetic poetry sets, an installation that invites all ages to create their own poems or pieces of flash fiction.
4. Herstory, where authors Meira Chand, Catherine Lim, and Suchen Christine Lim come together on a panel for the first time to discuss the challenges and triumphs of their successful literary careers that has spanned several decades.
5. Don’t forget to check out the Room of Recommendations, a showcase of local favourites titles: page-turners recommended by writers, publishers and thinkers in the Singapore’s literary scene, as well as Room of Lost Books and Wandering Writers, an exhibition that introduces books published between the 1960s and 2000s.
6. Recitals of Yesteryear – Kata-kata Kita – a performance-talk that discusses the impact of Malay children’s songs from the 1950s to 1980s.
See the full festival programme here
When: 9 to 11 March 2018, 10am – 11pm
Where: The Arts House
Admission: Free except for The Page on Stage and Note for Note. Advance registration for selected programmes is recommended due to limited seating capacity. For more information and to pre-register, please visit theartshouse.sg/programmes/textures-a-weekend-with-words/ or join the conversations on www.facebook.com/theartshouse.