- This event has passed.
Match For Life (MFL 2020) by the Bone Marrow Donor Programme
Sat Sep 19 - Sat Oct 10
On a single day, six Singaporeans of any age are diagnosed with a terminal blood-related disease such as leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma. For many of these patients, it is necessary to undergo a bone marrow or stem cell transplant in order to survive these blood diseases. Sometimes, direct family members may not be a match.
The Bone Marrow Donor Programme (BMDP) first launched ‘Match For Life’ (MFL) in 2019 with the aim to raise awareness for blood related diseases by rallying members of the community together in a series of sports related activities. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, MFL 2020 takes on a virtual route.
The theme for this year is “It Takes a Village to Save a Life”. MFL 2020 continues to use sports as a channel, with a series of online sporting activities presented by fitness partners, health-related webinars fronted by renowned experts, as well as fun and engaging social media activities. This event will be launched on 19 September 2020 which is World Marrow Donor Day (WMDD).
• Open and closed-door 1-hour sessions
• Virtual workouts lead by partners of different sporting backgrounds such as Lion City Sailors Football Club, F45 Paya Lebar, TFX and True Fitness, 1Fiesta, Sculpt-Fit Society, 120 Fitness SG and Singapore Polytechnic.
• BMDP is offering early bird giveaways for the first 200 participants who register and attend the sessions, as there are limited slots available for each session and a total of 22 sessions including closed-door sessions hosted by Singapore Polytechnic.
Webinar Series – Marrow 101
• Five virtual sessions, each lasting an hour, aimed at raising awareness of transplants and marrow donations.
• Each educational session will revolve around conversations between a panel of professionals who are transplant doctors, nurses, counsellors, BMDP staff, donors, patients as well as volunteers.
• The sessions will also feature first-hand accounts from a stem cell recipient and a marrow donor.
Webinar Series – Swab Room / Swab Live
• A virtual space where BMDP staff and student partners from National University Singapore (NUS), ITE College Central and ITE College West guide individuals through a cheek swab from the comfort of their own homes.
• Includes a short sharing on the importance of marrow donation.
Let’s Get Social
• Exclusive online GIFs series of stickers to use and share through Instagram. These GIFs can be found by searching “bmdpsg” or “matchforlife” under Instagram Stories GIFs.
• A dance challenge choreographed by Faiz from 120 Fitness SG to encourage the public to partake in this cause as well as to promote increased awareness on social media by user generated content for BMDP.
Sessions will be held through Zoom and re-run of recorded videos will be streamed on YouTube Live to allow for a wider reach. Registration is free, and the public is encouraged to share about and rally their friends and family to join in the virtual events.