Kamcheng Peranakan Festival
Fri Jun 7 - Wed Jul 31
The Peranakan is hosting their 3rd annual edition of the Kamcheng Peranakan Festival. Looking to strengthen the kamcheng between Peranakans and other cultures, this year’s festival sees the debut of the Peranakan Food Festival, which includes special menus such as Eurasian Peranakan menus and wine/sake pairing menus, and culinary workshops. Guests can also enjoy a high tea experience with Brass Lion Distillery where Peranakan delights such as Apom Bokwa and Mee Siam are paired with Gin cocktails. Additionally, the festival features a line-up of field subject experts giving talks on Peranakan material artefacts and the lives of some of the Peranakan pioneers that now rest in Bukit Brown Cemetery, as well as the live reads from Peranakan literary giants such as Vivienne Tan and Shawn Seah.
Some of the activities available during the Kamcheng Peranakan Festival are:
- Eurasian Peranakan Menus (different every week!) – explore the travels of the Portuguese and culinary heritage of the Peranakans through gastronomy
- Wine/Sake Pairing Menus – Experience how the flavours of Spanish, German, and Italian vintages, as well as the crispness of Nagasaki prefecture sake, complement the rich flavours of Peranakan dishes
- High Tea with Gin
- Culinary workshops – Get hands-on experience making the Peranakan heritage dishes of Nasi Ulam and Apom Bokwa
- Cultural Talks – Perfect for those looking to start their own Peranakan artefacts collection, a history junkie, or those interested in all things Peranakan
- Baba Nyonya Literary Festival – Immerse yourself in the world of Peranakan literature
The Peranakan Highlights
Join the Peranakan Club and enjoy lifetime perks such as a complimentary bottle of wine to share for a table of five, or a bottle of Butterfly Pea Gin from Brass Lion Distillery for a table of ten. The Peranakan Club members will also enjoy 2 hours of free flowing Manon, Spanish Tempranillo, when they participate in the Gelek Gelek High Tea Dance (6 July, $50/person, includes high tea).
With something for everyone, come and celebrate Peranakan culture and heritage at this year’s Peranakan Festival from 7 June to 31 July 2019. DBS card holders enjoy $30 off any of our wine/sake pairing dinners and $20 off our workshops and high tea.