This year’s Dragon Boat Festival or 端午节 (duān wǔ jié) falls on 14 June 2021. But with the less-than-likely chance of any dragon boat races happening this season, let’s focus what’s truly important, shall we? Yes, glutinous rice dumplings a.k.a. 粽子 (zòng zǐ) a.k.a. bak chang! Those decadent parcels of sticky rice hiding delicacies under their leafy garb are back to ruin our #Phase2HeightenedAlert diets. So make those calories count with the yummiest rice dumplings in town!
1. Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Sliced Black Truffle
From Cherry Garden’s premier selection of rice dumplings comes the luxurious Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Sliced Black Truffle ($20+). Ideal for those looking for a healthier option, it uses five multi grains, cordycep flowers, wild mushroom, and lotus seeds.
- Hong Kong Traditional Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Baby Abalone ($30+)
- Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Black Garlic ($20+)
Available from now till 14 June at Cherry Garden, Mandarin Oriental Singapore. To order, call 6885 3500 or shop online
2. Traditional Hong Kong Style Rice Dumpling
This year, Golden Peony is serving up the indulgent Traditional Hong Kong Style Rice Dumpling ($33.80nett). The perfect-for-sharing parcel packs a whole abalone, Dong Po pork, roast pork, Chinese mushrooms, chestnuts, lotus seeds, and mung beans. For an extra umami kick, pour over the savoury sauce that comes with it — sublime!
- Singapore Black Pepper Chilli Crab, Prawn and Bedford Scallops Rice Dumpling ($28.80nett)
- Crispy Smoked Duck and Chestnut Rice Dumpling ($24.80nett)
- Dried Velvet Mushroom 5-Grain Rice Dumpling ($21.80nett)
- Egg Custard Sweeties Rice Dumpling ($12.80nett)
Available from now till 13 June at Golden Peony, Conrad Centennial Singapore. To order, call 6432 7482 or shop online
3. Classic Taiwanese Dumpling with Sesame Oil Chicken
Taking inspiration from the Taiwanese speciality, Hai Tien Lo presents the Classic Taiwanese Dumpling with Sesame Oil Chicken ($18.80+). Inside you’ll find all the requisite flavours from tender chicken leg, fungus, Chinese rice wine, and sesame oil.
- Traditional Jumbo Rice Dumpling with Abalone ($38.80+)
- Teochew Dumpling with Yam Paste and Gingko Nuts ($10.80+)
- Cantonese Pork Dumpling with Salted Egg Yolk ($13.80+)
- Traditional Nyonya Dumpling ($10.80+)
Available from now till 14 June at Hai Tien Lo, Pan Pacific Singapore. To order, call 6826 8240 or shop online
4. Rice Dumpling with Pork Bone Cartilage, Preserved Vegetables and Mushrooms
Enjoy the Rice Dumpling with Pork Bone Cartilage, Preserved Vegetables and Mushrooms ($18.80+) from the Michelin Plate Hua Ting Restaurant. The customary rice dumpling is interspersed with collagen-rich goodies for a delicious taste with health benefits.
- Hong Kong Style Rice Dumpling with South African Abalone, Pork Belly, Roast Duck, Salted Egg Yolk and Mushrooms ($32.80+)
- Sago Rice Dumpling with Bird’s Nest and Green Bean ($16.80+)
Available from now till 10 June at Hua Ting Restaurant, Orchard Hotel Singapore. To order, call 6739 6666 or shop online (20% off orders till 1 June; 15% off thereafter)
5. Bak Kut Teh Flavour Pork Glutinous Rice Dumpling
Love rice dumplings and bak kut teh? Then you can’t miss the Bak Kut Teh Flavour Pork Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($12 nett) from Jade Restaurant. It delivers those comforting herbal and peppery notes, topped with a jade-green peak dyed with natural spring onion extract.
- Ginseng Chicken Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($18nett)
- Organic Millet Five-Grain OmniMeat Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($12nett)
- Traditional Hong Kong-Style Abalone Treasure Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($38nett)
- Jade’s Five-Spice Pork Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($12nett)
Available from now till 14 June at Jade Restaurant, The Fullerton Hotel Singapore. To order, shop online (10% off online orders till 31 May)
6. Vegetarian Multi-grain Rice Dumpling
The new Vegetarian Multi-grain Rice Dumpling ($28+) from Li Bai Cantonese Restaurant is a savoury parcel packing nutritious ingredients. Within the multi-grain rice are meat-free nuggets, varieties of mushrooms and fungus, beancurd skin, kidney bean, lotus seed, and chestnut.
- Abalone and Pumpkin Rice Dumpling ($48+)
- Traditional Rice Dumpling ($48+)
Available from now till 14 June at Li Bai Cantonese Restaurant, Sheraton Towers Singapore. To order, call 6839 5623 or shop online
7. Pork Belly Brown Rice Dumpling
Delight in rice dumplings boasting premium ingredients and novel flavours — the Madame Fan way. For instance, the Pork Belly Brown Rice Dumpling ($23+) still packs pork belly, mushroom, and chestnuts. However, brown rice replaces the ubiquitous glutinous rice for a healthier twist.
- Abalone Rice Dumpling ($48+)
- Morel Mushroom Vegetarian Dumpling ($23+)
Available from now till 14 June at Madame Fan, JW Marriott Singapore South Beach. To order, call 6818 1921 or shop online (20% off first-time orders with promo code “SHOPATJW20”)
8. Mala-braised Beef Brisket Dumpling
Taking centrestage at Man Fu Yuan this year is the new Mala-braised Beef Brisket Dumpling ($15nett). Beef brisket is marinated and braised till tender with mushrooms, bamboo shoots, coriander, and flavoursome mala spices for a delicate tingle with every bite.
- Smoked Duroc Pork Char Siew Dumpling with Black Gold ($12nett)
- XO Sauce Nyonya Rice Dumpling ($12nett)
- Signature Black Bean Chicken Dumpling ($12nett)
- Traditional Hokkien Style Dumpling ($10nett)
- Black Sesame Rice Dumpling ($10nett)
- Red Bean Lye Rice Dumpling ($10nett)
Available from now till 14 June at Man Fu Yuan, InterContinental Singapore. To order, call 6825 1008 or shop online (20% off orders till 31 May)
9. #PlantForward Truffle Multigrain Dumpling
This #PlantForward Truffle Multigrain Dumpling ($13+) from Mitzo uses five grains: brown rice, oat, pearl barley, red wheat, and buckwheat. Inside, Heura plant-based chicken, cordyceps flower, and osmanthus honey complete the healthy recipe.
- Kurobuta Pork Nonya Rice Dumpling ($15+)
- Savoury Quinoa Rice Dumpling ($15+)
Available from now till 14 June at Mitzo Restaurant and Bar, Grand Park Orchard. To order, call 6603 8855 or shop online (complimentary Truffle Shrimp Crackers with minimum $50 spent)
(See also: 6 Kid-friendly Plant-based Recipes to Try)
10. Spicy Smoked Duck with Dried Shrimp Dumpling
Spice up your Dragon Boat Festival with the new Spicy Smoked Duck with Dried Shrimp Dumpling from Paradise Group. The glutinous rice is infused with a house-made mala sauce for a red hue before being packed with smoked duck, pork belly, salted egg yolk, and more. It’s only available for sale as part of the Luxury Trio Dumplings Gift Set ($42.80+).
- Deluxe Pork with Conpoy and Chestnut Dumpling ($11.80+)
- Black Truffle Five Grain Dumpling ($12.80+)
- Premium Abalone Dumpling ($23.80+)
- Salted Pork Belly Brown Rice Dumpling ($10.80+)
- Red Bean Paste Dumpling ($6.80+)
Available from now till 12 June at selected Paradise Group restaurants. To order, shop online or via Deliveroo, foodpanda, and GrabFood (selected cardholders enjoy 15% off with takeaway of at least 4 individual dumplings)
11. Pig Trotter Rice Dumpling
Starring juicy pig trotter in fermented beancurd, Peach Blossoms’ new Pig Trotter Rice Dumpling ($52.80+) makes a hearty family feast. The mouth-watering parcel also houses abalone, conpoy, Japanese flower mushroom, and chestnut.
- Premium XO Cantonese Rice Dumpling ($38.80+)
- Traditional Hakka Kurobuta Pork Belly Rice Dumpling ($20.80+)
- Hokkaido Sweet Potato Lava Rice Dumpling ($18.80+)
Available from now till 14 June at Peach Blossoms, PARKROYAL COLLECTION Marina Bay Singapore. To order, call 6845 1118 or shop online (selected cardholders enjoy up to 25% off till 31 May; 15% off till 14 June)
12. Chest of Pearls Dumpling
If you miss Japan as much as we do, then this sushi-inspired creation is for you. Courtesy of Syun’s Chef de Cuisine Noriyoshi Teruya, it features seared sea bream and red miso Tajima Wagyu beef. It’s one of eight varieties that make up Luxury in a Leaf ($118nett), Resorts World Sentosa’s signature rice dumplings feast.
Included in the price:
- Golden Summer Dumpling (Hakka-style dumpling from Feng Shui Inn Executive Chef Li Kwok Kwong)
- Ocean’s Jewels Dumpling (RWS Executive Sous Chef Goh Wee Meng showcases sustainable seafood)
- Eternal Amber Dumpling (Osia Steak and Seafood Grill Chef de Cuisine Danny Fong elevates a timeless classic)
- Siamese Jade Dumpling (an ode to Thailand’s sticky rice dessert by RWS Chef de Cuisine Surangkana “Aae” Sub-Anan)
- Nonya Sapphires (Peranakan classic with a twist by Feng Shui Inn Sous Chef Lee Chee Man)
- Twin Treasures Dumpling (RWS Executive Chef Tang Puck Seng pairs treasures from the forest and the sea)
- Bouquet of Rubies Dumpling (nutritious dessert dumpling from RWS Executive Pastry Chef Kenny Kong)
Available from now till 14 June at Feng Shui Inn, Crockfords Tower, Resorts World Sentosa. To order, call 6577 6688 or shop online ($98nett for RWS members)
13. Applewood-smoked Rice Dumpling
Shang Palace presents its first-ever Applewood-smoked Rice Dumpling ($108nett). This hefty 750g parcel offers a multi-sensory appeal, its smoky fragrance enhancing 10 key ingredients. These include four-head abalone, foie gras, matsutake mushrooms, smoked chicken, and more. A special Sichuan chilli sauce adds extra spice to every bite.
- Shang Palace Signature Barbecued Pork Rice Dumpling with Yunnan Ham and Conpoy ($27.80nett)
- Black Truffle, Chestnut Pumpkin and Vegan Chicken Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($16.80nett)
- Traditional Nyonya Rice Dumpling ($16.80nett)
- Sweetened Purple Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Custard ($16.80nett)
- Sweetened Lotus Seed Paste Rice Dumpling ($14.80nett)
Available from now till 14 June at Shang Palace, Shangri-La Singapore. To order, call 6213 4473 or shop online (15% off selected dumplings till 29 May)
14. Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Red Dates
For a sweet yet not-too-sweet option, try this Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Red Dates ($16.05nett) from Summer Palace. Crafted by Executive Chinese Chef Liu Ching Hai and his team, this delicate delight is filled with red dates paste and served with osmanthus honey.
- Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Abalone ($44.95nett)
- Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Kurobuta Pork, Dried Oyster and Sea Moss ($27.80nett)
- Healthy Morel Mushroom and Truffle Dumpling with Five Grains ($27.80nett)
15. Lion’s Head Rice Dumpling
Delight in the new Lion’s Head Rice Dumpling ($22.80nett) from Wah Lok Cantonese Restaurant. It’s a harmonious blend of tender and savoury Lion’s Head meatball, together with premium ingredients such as Japanese scallops, mushrooms, green beans, chestnuts, and salted egg yolk.
- Lion’s Head Truffle Rice Dumpling ($22.80nett)
Available from now till 14 June at Wah Lok Cantonese Restaurant, Carlton Hotel Singapore. To order, call 6311 8188 or shop online
16. 5-Head Australian Abalone with Iberico and Parma Ham Rice Dumpling
New from Wan Hao Chinese Restaurant is the 5-Head Australian Abalone with Iberico and Parma Ham Rice Dumpling ($28nett). This luxe gem encases only the most premium ingredients in a layer of fragrant glutinous rice.
- Sichuan Pepper Chicken with Lotus Root, Fungus, Peanuts and Mushrooms Rice Dumpling ($14nett)
- Honey Red Dates with Salted Green Beans, Red Beans and Melon Candy Rice Dumpling ($13nett)
- Black Truffle 5-Grain Vegetarian Rice Dumpling ($14nett)
- Signature Pork and Salted Egg Yolk ($14nett)
Available from now till 14 June at Wan Hao Chinese Restaurant, Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel. To order, call 6831 4605 or shop online (15% off a minimum of 4 dumplings)
17. Mala Chicken Dumpling with Dried Scallops
With the mala trend still going strong, Xin Cuisine Chinese Restaurant presents the Mala Chicken Dumpling with Dried Scallops ($18.80nett). Anticipate the numbing sensation as you take your first bite before reaping the benefits of this protein-rich dumpling.
- Xin’s Signature Home-made Traditional Dumpling ($14.80nett or $66nett for 6 pieces)
- Xin’s Signature Red Lotus Seed Paste Dumpling with Osmanthus Sauce ($11.80nett)
Available from now till 13 June at Xin Cuisine Chinese Restaurant, Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium. To order, call 3138 2531 or shop online (20% off orders till 31 May)
18. Black Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Abalone and Golden Dried Scallops
Yan Ting’s master chefs deliver an indulgent Black Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Abalone and Golden Dried Scallops ($41.75nett). This savoury package showcases premium abalone, dried scallops, and shrimps, alongside roast duck, roast pork, and pork belly.
More rice dumplings must-tries:
- Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Pork Belly and Salted Egg Yolk ($24.65nett)
- Vegetarian Black Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Mixed Grains ($20.35nett)
Available from now till 14 June at Yan Ting, The St Regis Singapore. To order, call 6506 6887 or shop online (10% off self-collection with promo code “TAKE10”)
Featured image: Shangri-La Singapore