I had never stayed at the InterContinental Singapore before, but overseas friends have gushed over its impeccable service standards and its Straits Chinese-inspired design. Furthermore, there’s its proximity to Bugis Junction, the historical Civic District, and a plethora of food options. Finally, with full shelter to the MRT, this is one hotel that travellers an easily access from every part of the island.
Thus I was pretty excited to check in with my kids for a much-needed break last month, as well as to discover all these. To me, the InterContinental Singapore is a dark horse. Often overlooked by vacationers and staycation-ers in favour of bigger, glitzier names, this local flagship of the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG®) is now steadily rising up must-stay bucket lists.
This comes as no surprise to those familiar with this unassuming property. Melding British, Peranakan, and Chinese influences in design and style, it carries itself with understated panache.
Like many other hotels, the InterContinental was quiet during the circuit breaker in Singapore but behind its iconic facade, much was brewing. Like a Family First Staycation, which we are giving away — yay! — but more on this later.
First, feast your eyes on its new safari-themed Family Suite. It has a giraffe! A tepee! Bunk beds! And a slide! We didn’t stay in this room, but you can take a look at it in the video below, which also shows what the InterContinental Singapore is doing to keep guests safe during their stays.
Inside the Safari-themed Family Room at InterContinental Singapore
The safari-themed Family Suite, which consists of a spacious King Bed Room connected to an interactive kid’s zone, marks the InterContinental Hotel’s first major step into the lucrative kid-friendly market in Singapore.
With year-end school holidays looming, and without any opportunity as yet to take an overseas holiday this year, parents like us are on the hunt for new and unique staycation experiences for their families. One that’s new, photogenic, child-friendly, bound to make the kids go “wow!”?
That’s what they’ll say when they see the awesome sleeping area for them — two loft beds separated by a slide(!), with engaging crawl areas below each bed.
That’s not all. The suite also houses a child-sized tepee, and a toddler-sized table and chair set with age-appropriate games like Uno, and Jenga.
And did we mention the 1.5m-tall stuffed giraffe?
Even with all these, there’s enough space in the light-filled room for the kids (and perhaps even the entire cast of Madagascar) to sprawl and play.
Beware, parents. They may never want to leave.
The Family Suite is ideal for two adults and two children, and starts from $480++.
Have a Family First Staycation
The InterContinental Singapore is also offering a Family First Staycation package that encourages families to relax and recharge in luxury. This includes a variety of perks, including amenities such as child-sized bathrobes and slippers for young ones.
Also included are:
- Breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children (under 12 years) at Ash & Elm
- In-room kids’ teepee (subject to availability)
- Three-course prix-fixe menu dinner for 2 adults, One main course and dessert from Planet Trekkers Menu for 2 children (under 12 years) at Man Fu Yuan or Ash & Elm
- Unlimited ice-cream at The Lobby Lounge (from 1300 – 1730)
- In-room movie night (borrow a DVD from reception) with popcorn and milkshakes
- Kids bathroom amenities
- Welcome kids’ amenities (from 27 November to 25 December 2020 it is a Gingerbread man making kit)
- 20% savings on ala-carte menu items at Ash & Elm, Man Fu Yuan and The Lobby Lounge, non-inclusive of seasonal offers, brunch menu or any other promotions.
- Extra bed for 1 child below 12 years old (subject to availability)
Starting from $300++, the Family First Staycation is available until 30 December 2021.
A Heritage Suite experience
We have been given a Heritage Suite for our stay, and “it is like a donut!” the child exclaims, circling the space like a wild thing staking its territory. Indeed we can literally make a round of the room from the entrance and back again. Within the generous 55 sqm space are a living room, a bedroom large enough to place an extra bed, a spacious bathroom with double sinks, a walk-in wardrobe and pantry area, and a fabulously photogenic entry-way.
The Suite is overwhelmingly charming. In fact, the entire Heritage Wing of the InterContinental — which takes its inspiration from 1920s shophouse living — oozes old-world charm and style.
Straits Chinese influences abound, from timber flooring and a most gorgeous duck egg blue panelling to louvered windows and wooden shutters. Furthermore, some suites even come with their own mini courtyard!
No matter which room type you choose to stay in, do make time to wander around the property itself. It is a visual feast, with beautiful nooks to explore, photograph your little ones in, and make beautiful memories to remember 2020 with. I know we did!
:: GIVEAWAY :: We have one Family First Staycation in a Junior Suite at the InterContinental Singapore to give away!
How to win:
- Like and share this article’s Facebook post (make sure your share is public).
- Tag two friends whose kids will love this too.
- Follow @interconsin on Instagram.
- Answer the question: “What’s your favourite thing to do during a staycation?”
- Sit back and relax. We’ll be in touch if you’ve won!
Closing date: 12pm, Tuesday 17 November 2020
Terms and conditions:
- Stay is valid at InterContinental Hotel, Singapore, only, in a Junior Suite.
- The prize voucher is valid for three months from the date of issue.
- Blackout dates apply, and advanced reservation is required.
- Prize voucher is non-replaceable, non-refundable, non-transferable, and not redeemable for cash.
- The giveaway and these terms and conditions may be cancelled or amended without notice.
- After the expiry date, there will be no extension of the prize voucher’s validity period.
- The original prize voucher must be presented at check-in. It is valid for one-time use only.
- Hotel check-in time is 3pm, and checkout time is at 12 noon (Singapore local time). This may be adjusted due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Failure to arrive at the hotel is regarded as a no-show. No refund will be given.
- This giveaway is open to Singapore residents over 21 years old.
- By entering this giveaway, participants have indicated their agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
Featured image: InterContinental Singapore