When should you send your baby to A&E, instead of GP?

sunnydale

Hey,

Wanted to ask for advice on this question. My baby (15 months old) fell sick since last night - running nose and fever of 38 degrees plus, fed him paracetemol medicine but he still tossed and turned. feet and palms felt hot to the touch. this morning, his temperature was still around 38 degrees but we still brought him to GP, who told us to come back if his fever did not subside.

Then in the afternoon, 2 plus, which was 6 hours after his last medicine intake at 8 am, his fever came back. This time, it touched 39 degrees. We immediately fed him medicine, but after 6 hours, his fever not only did not subside, but it shot up to as high as 39.5 degrees. We brought him back to GP, who then said that we can only do 3 things: feed him medicine, let him wear light clothes, sponge him. But we told him it was already 39.5 degrees (in fact, nurse re-measured to be 39.8 degrees) and the doctor still said with a grin that its okay! When we asked him how does he feel if his own child was having this fever, then he said he would do the same, but of course as a doctor, he'd know when he should send him to A&E. So, he's just telling us to go off, and just hope for the best. Unprofessional and sarcastic human being I have seen! He even acted nonchalant and unrepentant when we told him there are cases where people had brain damage from being too feverish for a long time.

When should you send your baby to A&E?

If at home, any other options to cool him down?

We are now trying to sponge him every half hour, or make him sweat a little. Hope for the best.

I'm just afraid of over-reacting, and avoid more agony on my baby, to have him wait and subject to irrelevant and useless panaceas... doctor even said that A&E will do the same 3 things so no point.

I go to A&E for 2 reasons when my kids' fever did not subside. One is to get blood test and another is urine test to rule out any underlying infection. If both are cleared, at least I have a peace of mind to continue with medication. Better than worrying or questioning. Hope your child recover soon

Seriously A&E will do the same things as what ur GP said. I will sponge the kid to bring down the temperature

Just an update - his fever in May went away after 5 days of agony! Think it could be the ibufen medicine NUH A&E dispensed on the 5th day, or just happen to subside.

Just when I heaved a sigh of relief after 3 weeks, he developed another bout of fever. I strongly suspect its teething as he keeps biting his fingers. So far, its been 3 days, and last month's trauma crept in. Mentally and physically very tired since I need to put aside all my plans, (including a day of leave taken to rest) and also get help from parents (alone tending to the baby whole day is too exhausting... don't know how the rest of you did it), who are themselves feeling unwell. Today is the 3rd day, so I think he should be well by Thursday, 18 June. If not, I think I will peng san.

Is it just me (that I am putting so much stress on myself for him to get better quickly), or are most of you going through the same situation - babies almost 2 years old experiencing recurring high fever (39 degrees) over 4-5 days? Does teething usually cause high fever (googled and this is not proven lor)?

By the way, when he was being breastfed in first 12 months, his fever usually comes and goes within one to two days, not 5 days. Wondering if breastfeeding played a part in keeping his fever at bay.

Just an update - his fever in May went away after 5 days of agony! Think it could be the ibufen medicine NUH A&E dispensed on the 5th day, or just happen to subside.

Just when I heaved a sigh of relief after 3 weeks, he developed another bout of fever. I strongly suspect its teething as he keeps biting his fingers. So far, its been 3 days, and last month's trauma crept in. Mentally and physically very tired since I need to put aside all my plans, (including a day of leave taken to rest) and also get help from parents (alone tending to the baby whole day is too exhausting... don't know how the rest of you did it), who are themselves feeling unwell. Today is the 3rd day, so I think he should be well by Thursday, 18 June. If not, I think I will peng san.

Is it just me (that I am putting so much stress on myself for him to get better quickly), or are most of you going through the same situation - babies almost 2 years old experiencing recurring high fever (39 degrees) over 4-5 days? Does teething usually cause high fever (googled and this is not proven lor)?

By the way, when he was being breastfed in first 12 months, his fever usually comes and goes within one to two days, not 5 days. Wondering if breastfeeding played a part in keeping his fever at bay.

@sunnydale, There are many causes of fever.. could be viral, infection or teething as you've shared. If its viral, the fever normally peaks around day 3 and 4. Of course, I wouldn't recommend to wait on to day 3 and 4 but rather seek medical help early. NUH A&E is my 1st choice as they could be better equipped as compared to PDs, where they could do direct admission and perform further tests.

My girl was recently admitted due to bronchitis. It started with an outbreak of rasher on her limbs and fever which didn't go away. Her mood wasn't as good and was not feeding well. The doctor took a sample of the mucus to confirm the bug that was attacking her, before rendering further treatment.

Mummy, if you feel you can't cope and your baby isn't feeling better, maybe you want to head to NUH A&E again? For me, I took the time when my girl was hospitalised to rest better so that I could be in better shape to care for her when she returns home. Maybe I'm the kan chiong type, but I would not take the option of 'wait it out' but rather seek professional advice :)

Take good care of yourself k.

Okay thanks for sharing. Today's his 4th day of fever/flu so will continue to monitor and see his progress.

Side note: Apologies for sharing my grouses/complaints in this thread...

Hello mummies..

My gal is 17mo+...recently also have this fever issue... been to KKH a couple of times already.. since last Dec...

Oh man..I really dread this thing. It scares me. Becoz the fever like just wont subside.

At times is due to teething, then not so bad..but if persist, & high like 38.5-39+...doctor at KKH says will take a few days to subside..even though they will give ibuprofen... which it usually will bring the heat down.

Right now..my daughter is having another fever...& I've been giving just paracetemol.. but it's still on & off..guess I've no choice but to give ibuprofen later...

I also starts to think...is it becoz due to teething & growing up...so it's actually common that it happen? Or is it really due to us (parents) who didn't take care properly...

Hello mummies,

I have 3 little boys. Whenever they are feeling unwell like runny nose, cough, fever, vomitting, diarrhoea or even chicken pox which my second son just had few weeks back, I will give them "Transfer Factor". Since I know this TF from last year Nov 15 till now, I didn't bring my kids to doctor anymore Don't have to depend on medicine and I'm feeling safe and secure as I know what to do when my love one is unwell. Most important, don't have to wait few hours and consult doctor less than 10 mins..!

My child also keep having fever and it is 7 days now. Day time is okay around 37.2 or 37.3 but it spikes vey night for 7 nights now - 37.8 to 39. Later going to bring him to see Doc.

My child also keep having fever and it is 7 days now. Day time is okay around 37.2 or 37.3 but it spikes vey night for 7 nights now - 37.8 to 39. Later going to bring him to see Doc.

Hi fr0stie, most of the time doctor will prescribe paracetamol or maybe even antibiotic which is harmful to the body. You should try transfer factor in juice type. Will definitely help.

Back