Violin lesson in the West

kook_car

My 2 boys are doing violin lessons with Suzuki Violin @ Jurong East.

After 3 years, I'm really stressed out now. The teacher is SUPER strict and not encouraging at all. I feel that he'll work well with older kids, but not young childrens.

Every lesson we get "you did this wrong, did that wrong". Probably out of every 3 mths 11 lessons, he'll only comment on 1 good thing the kid did. My kids motivation level super low now.

I think I need to change teacher. I really appreciate any recommendations for violin teacher in the west zone. Thank you all ...

Inez, sorry... do you have contact for the Suzuki Violin @ JE? My fren maybe interested. Thanks in advance.

Thanx. I PM you the contact. I just heard about Summer Notes this afternoon too. I'm going to check it out this weekend. Heard that their rates are lower than my current one.

Suzuki method is good for young kids, 3-5 years old when they cant read music scores & notes. They play by ear, thus training their listening ear, memory skills and pitch & rhythme. They believe that kids learn music like mother tongue. The concept/theory behind it is good.

But then, the teacher's coaching skills & encouragement plays a important role too.

kao_frustrated.gif
... sigh! that's why I wanna change teacher ...

Hi Giggler, did you get my PM on Jurong East Suzuki Violin? I din post here as I thought it may sound like promoting the biz entity.

Yes, with this method, it is recommended that parents sit in. So that parent know what mistakes to look out for when kid practise at home and be able to coach with the simple fingering exercises.

Otherwise, if kid keep makes the same mistake and waits for correction only once week, die liao lor. Also, parent know the progress of the kids as compared with others.

On the kids's engagement aspect, it sure make the kid feels like a "mother & kid team" activity. But on the mom's side, I feel really stretched and very testing on my patience.

Pardon me ...

What's the difference between Suzuki method and normal (?) method?
Kindly advise.

I'm looking around for a violin teacher @ Jurong West area for my 3 yo too.
Pls share.

hi,
My 3+ year old son is also on the suzuki method. His teacher is good and is able to relate to the kids. But he is very expensive.

It is true that you can gauge how fast or slow your kid is compared to the rest. But it is also a stress factor. Becos, if you feel that you are "abit" behind, you will want to stress your kid and make him "buck" up. And compared to the traditional method which some of my friends' kids are going. The suzuki method seem to be on a slower pace. But seem more focus on good bowing, posture and positioning. My son's class starts to play the twinkle only mid of 2nd term. But compared to my friends' kids on traditional. They could have played a few pieces already.

Suzuki method supposely is good for the younger kids. But it may not be the best method for certain kids. Some kids strive on individual attention. Even in the tradtional lessons, the parent also sits in the lessons. I am not sure the parent is taught or not. But in suzuki lessons, the parent is also taught to play.

Violin is not an easy instrument to learn. I have my daily battles to get my son to practise. If you want to start lessons with a 3+ year old kid, you will have to be prepared to have constant battles. They may have their own way of playing. However, girls seem to fare much more better intially, as they are more "ting hua".

kook_car, yup I got your PM. Thanks...
happy.gif
You're a really great mom leh. To think that you got to accompany both your sons for the lessons and practise with them everyday.

hopeac, your son's teacher is pte teacher who goes to your place? Can PM me the details on his charges? Thanks in advance.
happy.gif
Thanks for your sharing on Suzuki method.
happy.gif

Hi giggler, perhaps you can forward the email on Jurong West Suzuki to aa (happy_33). She also want the info. Then I dont need to re-construct it again. Thanx.

hopeac, thanks for your info...
happy.gif
That's his charge for personal coaching?

kook_car, ok... I'll fwd your mail to aa.

hi giggler,
My son's teacher is Mac. I think he does not do personal coaching for kids so young. And for personal coaching, if I din't remember wrongly, it is more expensive than the group rates.

hopeac, oops...sorry, I think I read your posting wrongly. So you also know how to play "twinkle twinkle little star" now?
happy.gif

Wah !! $430 for 11 lesson. JE Suzuki only $220.50 (grp lesson) $245 individual lesson for beginners. Plus, I got the Vice President of Suzuki Music Assn teaching my boys (tt's the super strict and perfectionist teacher).

He really grill them EVERY lesson on the posture & fingering. It is ALOT of body co-ordinations. Here's some example ... feet postion, body weight forward, knees not lock, turn left shoulder, turn head, rest on chin not cheek, left arm turn in, left palm hold up, right arm close to body, fingers hold bow position, bow slight slant, near to bridge, bow straight up and down, etc etc etc ...

I found out that Summer Notes is $60 per 4 lessons. And another pte teacher behind WestMall is $100 for 4 lessons.

kook,
Does JE Suzuki have another branch? I am looking at the east or central region.

I know he is expensive. But he is good. His students love him and usually stick from start to grade 8 or dip. However, I am too poor. ehehhe So may be looking around for other good teacher, but cheaper rates. But one important thing is my son needs to like the teacher and the teacher should be able to relate to my son.

My son's violin teacher did mention that the toughest part of learning the violin is in the first year. Every day, can bang head trying to get him to practise to what I think is correct. Hopefully, I can last. hehehehe

hopeac,
hang in there. It'll get better after 1-2 yrs.

My older started @ 5+, now 7, only @ Suzuki Book 2. But at least the head banging period is over. He more auto-mode when it comes to practising himself. But now I cant help much, pieces too difficult for me, I can only help correct his posture. But still, every wk still kana scolded for posture mistakes.

Now, I'm on head-banging battles with boy #2, age 5. Sometimes, I ask myself why I tortore & stress myself.

kook
i think most Suzuki teachers are strict. My son's ex-teacher also like that, every week also kena scolding and he lost interest. At JE, it's a group lesson right? Was going to consider sending my son (4yo) there, but he got accepted in NAFA Gifted Young Violinists Course (Preparatory) for next year's intake. Think it's also going to be stressful there too =(

oh, and I brought my son to Summer Notes for trial. That time he was only 3yo, the teacher prob didn't have experience teaching such a young kid, so we decided not to sign up with them. Maybe they're better with older kids.

Hi purplepenguin,

Suzuki @ JE does take in 3 yr olds. If not, I know Raffles Town Club take in 3 yr old too. Actually better to start music @ younger age, their hearing & tune also better.

Got a friend's girl started with Suzuki, then got in NAFA. I heard that audition is required to get into NAFA. She tut she was stressed with Suzuki then, but now even more stressed. Heard that the program is very good, but expectation is very high.

hi kook
thanks for the info. Now i'm deciding whether to let him enrol into NAFA afterall. Yes, he passed their audition, that's why accepted for their 2007 Jan intake. I also heard their expectation very high. That's why I'm reconsidering. Another reason is the fees are very high. The 1st year is ok abt $100/month, but for grades 1-5 it's abt $300/month!! Really in a dilemma, on one hand, i want him to enjoy himself playing the vioin, on the other hand, don't want him to like too relaxed, never learn much and waste my $$... hiaz...

kook_car, you think that it's better to start kids with music at younger age? I in a dilemma cos I dun want to stress my gal too much leh.

Purplepengiun ... WOW! NAFA is expensive then, but heard that kids who went thru are really good!! And un forget abt violin $$$. It's really a no-return investment lor ...

Giggler ... at the earlier age, they really dun see it as stress but more as fun. Then when the "discipline" & "Practice" part steps in, that's whenb the stress steps in.

kook_car
ya, good thing i got another younger boy, so he will use my elder one's old violins lor...

my ds1 (now 4yo) learnt for 1 year, only know how to play twinkle variations (except the last one), guess it's also because i no discipline to ask him to practise everyday =(

really got to find a good teacher for young kids, then they will enjoy learning hor? wonder where to find cheap and good one =P

forgot to mention, the NAFA Grade 1-5 $300/month includes 1 practical lesson and 1 theory/aural lesson per week, so maybe that's why exp lor... in the beginning, i was so happy to hear my ds1 got accepted, but now really gotta think hard...

Oh yes... "discipline & practice" starts right from 1st lesson.
biggrin.gif

At first, teacher will teach posture & how to hold bow. He'll tell kids to go home practise everyday 20 times, 50 times or 100 times. So daily practice lor.

And then the simple twinkle. I vomit blood for 9 mths over this song. Everyday or every other day practice 5x5 times or 5x10times.

I started my boys at group lesson, so if you no practice it is very obvious @ lesson time. And it'll drag back the pace of whole class.

But somehow, it seems like only the mommy is stressed leh. Kids get scolded in class, my little bo-ta-head boy got knock on the head but he still think the teacher is GREAT and the class is fun !!

Hi, I sent my boy to macsmusic school when he just turned 3 yo, after 1 term, made a painful decision if I shd continue bc he never want to practise at home. when it's violin practise time at home, it created a lot of stressful environment at home for me & my hubby. however, we thought that it's unfair to discontinue only after 1 term, so i continued for the 2nd term. again, things didn't turn well, he still refused to practice, we felt like we are 'dumping'money, very heart pain. so, i didn't care to ask him to practice anymore, only went for the lesson once a week. however, he did very well with the technical knowledge but due to lack of practice, he couldn't play well compare to those practice everyday at home.

i thought to send him for the NAFA's audition, but after reading fr their website that their fees for G1 onwards is $300, I dun think i will proceed unless my boy is very talented n willing to practice at home everyday.

after 2nd term, just finished last week, I decided not to continue to reduce the stress level at home for everybody. he's now 3 yr 7 mos, maybe he's too young, I will monitor n see when he's a bit older, maybe it's easier for him. As i'm a working mother, really have no time to 'force'him to practice everyday, sigh.

hubby said we are not rich ppl, can't waste money in this way.for me, it's bc of the stress that we encounter during practice battle time, beh tahan!

so, purple penguin, do you still send your kid to NAFA?can feedback?

p/s: yes, suzuki violin is very slow, i was thinking for 3-4 yo kids spending 1 year as compare to those >4yo older kid who need to spend only1 term to finish the same lesson, it's quite wasted in terms of money, time & most importantly the 'battle stress level!

Hi sahm888,
Now that my boy is @ Book 3 I fully understand why the teacher spent so much time in earlier days. Music is not to be rushed, the appreciation and understanding comes only through practice. And also training of the listening ear too.

At a younger age, they seemed only interested to make sound & play songs. They make so many mistakes in their posture & fingering. If this is not corrected, they'll form "bad habits" and it is such habits that will only hinder their progress. Be it sports or music, practice seems the only way to improve. So I take it as a training of perserverence for both the kid & myself.

I started my boy #2 with Suzuki last Jun (when he just turn 4). Now after 1 yr, the struggle surely has reduce as we have built it into a routine. Everyday practice after dinner 20-30 min.

Hi, I changed my mind to let my boy continue for his 3rd term suzuki violin class because surprisingly he was willing to practice at home for the past 2 days for more than 15minutes each! and he improved a lot!

I myself can play piano & violin, may be due to this, my expectation on him was very high, I guess I shd slow down my pace.

yesterday, Just met Seimpi's music school's principal who was my ex-teacher many years ago, she is very against Suzuki method, I was like her too bc we were trained in traditional method, reading notes and play simultaneously but not by hearing. anyway, since my boy is so young, i shd not take it too seriously, let him polish his technical skill first, I can still teach him on theory n notes reading at home.

yes, NAFA is sooo stressful, my colleague's boy 5 yo is there too n they teach one piece per week, the teacher listens to her boy's practicing the pieces over the phone! wow, i dun think working mother can afford the time to do that!they aslo have assessment after 1-2 terms before they can proceed to the next level.

thanks for your reply, purple penguin

Hi sahm888

I can understand how you feel. I'm a graduate in Chinese Studies & used to give Chinese tuitions. So when my P3 makes mistakes in his Chinese work I'll jump !!

Lucky for him, I'm totally lost when it comes to reading music scores, so no jumping onto him from me. At Suzuki book3, he has to learn to read notes now.

hi Sahm888, kook_car
May I ask how long does it take for your child to play twinkle twinkle independently? cos I am vomitting blood every day over dd's practice, she is 3.5 yrs old and has been under the suzuki method for almost 10 mths, but there's just no progress, she can't/refuse to bow properly, instead of A and E string, it is always on the D string. and if I say put the finger on A1, she puts it on E1. It is a struggle and i really want to seek both your advise on how to proceed.

we are at this stage now that I dn't call her in for pract. everyday already, because it makes my blood boil and if we do pract. it's because she will have a small piece of cookies/sweet at the end of pract.

harriet

Wah, my baby is supposed to start violin at 2.5yrs sometime next month or so... all this sounds so scary. I'm still waiting for a confirmed slot with the teacher... but according to my friend whose boy is under her, all the children enjoy learning with her, and she also likes teaching the little ones... so hopefully won't be so stressed.

wah, 10 mths on one song ah? can die right? then I really must prepare myself to be very very patient liao.

harriet
It is a good idea to hv a reward system initially to get him motivated. Did she bow correct when in class? Does she understand sound difference of GDAE ?

I now at blood-boil with 2nd kids' hold bow fingers (it has to be circular, but his thumb keep locking)... sigh ... just gotto remind & remind & remind & remind & remind lor ...

Dorie
not 10 mths lah. 6 mths maybe. *GRIN*

hi kook_car

can bow correctly in class but not for long, I always worry for her in class and pray pray that the teacher will stop 'testing' her. she understands the sound difference, but so what? at home her bow fly like aeroplane and the fingers are ill discipline, practise is a struggle and now the younger sister also follow and runs away when it's time to pract
sad.gif

hi harriet,
as i said bc they are still young like 3-4 yo compare to those 4-5 yo, their progress is slower than the later age group.

yes, until now almost 6 mos, still on twinkle twinkle little star and my boy does not really play well, still need my guidance to say A,A,E,E, E1, E1, E. etc till the end of the song.

I guess we have to be patient for younger kids learning musical instrument because we need to accomodate their mood during practising. so, just hang in there, you will see the result later.(just like my case, now my boy is willing to practise at least 15 minutes after dinner everyday, i'm already very happy)

but i personally will not suggest kids below 3 yo to start learning violin, in terms of motor skill, their temperament, etc, it's still too young for them unless you dun mind to go thru the stress level!
happy.gif

hi sahm888,

thanks for your encouragement, I guess I may not start no2 so soon compared to the big sister. sometimes when parents can play piano/violin, they seem to have high expectations on the child and in the end suffer more
sad.gif

harriet

Hi mummies, can any of you recommend a good violin teacher? My boy is going to finish his 1 year suzuki violin group lessons and i need to find a private teacher 1-1 for him. his current teacher is OK only, I would like to explore for more alternative.thanks in advance.

sahm888,
Where you stay? My older boy is taking 1-1 Suzuki @ Jurong East @ $315 for 11 lessons. I know of another girl taking 1-1 from Summer Notes in Jurong West, nt sure how much. I met a teacher that teaches 2 home @ HDB flat behind WestMall.

sahm888,
Where you stay? My older boy is taking 1-1 Suzuki @ Jurong East @ $315 for 11 lessons. I know of another girl taking 1-1 from Summer Notes in Jurong West, nt sure how much. I met a teacher that teaches 2 home @ HDB flat behind WestMall.

any mommy out there whose child is left-handed and learning to play the violin?

my boy is left-handed and i'm wondering if it will be more difficult for him to learn compared to others...

hi kit,

my son is left-handed and is learning to play the violin. I've ever asked his violin teacher about this. He said that it is fine and even better since his left hand holding the violin would be more agile for handling changes in the keys & notes. Right hand holding the bow is not an issue for left-handers.

hi kook car,

when did ur boy starting taking suzuki violin?
my boy is 3 this yr, is it too young to start? i always have the impression tat violin is a difficult instrument to learn...need a lot of patience...wouldnt the child be bored with it?

Hi all...

My baby started her violin lessons about a month ago... and she's had 4 lessons so far... and only in this fourth lesson did the teacher allow her to put the horsehair to strings... was just wondering if this is like normal (my girl is only turning 3 in Nov... still very young lah)...

So far, she's learnt to hold the bow, hold and position the violin, posture and standing, how to pull the bow... and sing the AAAA AA, EEEE EE etc... and the finger exercises and things like that.

She's really enjoying herself, and looks forward to practising each day, and attending lessons... so, so far so good lah.

Back