very little breast milk

hi aria jo,
just wana check, u bottle fed ur bb n oni latched her when shes 2 mths old? she never rejected ur breast, as in got nipple confusion? ive got a hard time to latch my son on until recently.. not tt now i dun hav probs latching on, still do but not so bad like it used to be.. how u managed to do tt, as in latch bb when shes 2mths?

mom_to_be,
to be more accurate, i tried latching her when she's 5 weeks old, it's more like going month 2. well, i use nipple shield becasue i have inverted nipples. So i guess that helps a bit since bottle teats and nipple shield feels plastic...haha..recently i'm a bit bolder and attempted to directly latch on the corrected nipple. Suprisingly my girl can accept my nipple without the nipple shield.
happy.gif
Now, my baby is coming to 12 weeks already and is ok with both bottle and direct latching.

well, the initial trial was very tough and my body position is very weird. Nipple also very sore despite using nipple shield. But after a few days, somehow i just got it right. I think my perseverance and take it easy attitude helps in my BF journey.

oh, my girl did rejected my breast 2 weeks ago all of a sudden. i was so sad. then i thought of a method of bluffing her...haha..what i did is to make some FM and let her suckle from bottle, after that quickly switch to my breast. luckily, she didn't notice the difference..It's probably the flow that she minded because she needs to suckle hard a few times on the breast to have let down. so, probably that fustrate her. but once she's on a sucking motion from the bottle, she's ok to transfer to breast
happy.gif
well, i have to waste a bit of FM. no choice i guess.

ariajo, after reading your post, feel motivated to try latching my girl again even though she's coming to 2mths old. Since birth, my girl cried like mad when I tried to latch her on. She did for a while but not properly, resulting in my nipple bleed. I gave up n expressed the BM instead n bottle feed her. I don't have problem wz supply cos I can expressed abt 300ml each time. However, I still supplement wz FM cos sometimes I just too tired or too busy to express (am taking care of 2 kids w/o maid or parents or ILs).

hen,
i'm glad that my sharing motivated you. yeh!!
happy.gif
it will be awkward initially and you just need to find the best position and practice bit by bit till you get the postion right. When she latch on properly, there's really no pain. I always doubted this until i got it right myself. Try to maintain your flow. When supply drop, it does drop drastically. That's what happens to my collegue and she had a hard time increasing it back.

Hi Aria jo,

Thanks so muchie for your advise!! If you didn't tell me that BM will only start 4 days after birth I would have been so demoralised :p ya I have read abt the the first few day's colostrum & I die die want to squeez them out for my bb :eek:
I am so afraid of having sore & bleeding nipples so I am thinking of giving EBM.... :p
Thank so much!! :D

bbp,
you're welcome
happy.gif
i also didn't know this until my LC told me. If not like you, i'll be really disappointed and demoralised.

bbp - the Motherlove capsules are not meant to be taken during pregnancy. One of my friends did take it straight after delivery.

Mom to be - it's quite common for breastfed babies to move bowels not as frequently. My son used to go once in 2 days (sometimes even 3 days) when he was on EBM and formula. Different formula does have an effect. His stool used to be thicker when he was on Enfalac but became less thick with NAN HA. We used to get worried too and would moisten a cotton bud with some baby oil to stimulate the anus if he doesn't pass motion for 2 days. It works very well.

Now that he is on full formula (NAN HA2), he goes at least once a day, sometimes even twice.

Hi all bf mommies
Glad i came upon this tread. Would like to seek your advice. I'm still currently bf my 9mth+ boy. He moves abt a lot when bf, pulling my nipples at times. He also the need to suck to sleep type. Now, i develop a sore at the base of my nipple. It's very painful to nurse now but no choice as he refused fm. Tried to express but supply very little plus a lot of coaxing for him to take ebm. Tried using nipple shield also cannot, he got so angry....How??? Help!!

remember the more U suck the more U produce try expressing the sore nipple for the time being, and offer him the other till it heals.
Once i had a torn nipple from my girl and it bled. ArrrH....
embarrassed.gif

7171, Poor thing,go to the pharmacy to buy some healing ointment for nipples it will help.
Also next time, when U feel he is latching U too tightly of biting U insert your little finger to stop him a while to prevent injuries.
I breast fed my girls for 2 years. Keep it up .
paediatric Nurse Bernie says.
kao_cheers.gif

Thanks nurse bernie. Sori 1 more Q.
Is it safe to continue bf with the sore. Sore got germs?? BTW, how did you continue when you nipple bled?

7171, no worries i enjoy talking & sharing the advices to all of you.
Remember, the less U feed the less you will produce so i presevered it was very painful ... now to think of it the skin actually came off!
kao_scared.gif

Dont worry about germs your milk has many antibodies to protect yr BB. The method about cleaning first before feeding also not really necc, i didint do any of those my 2 girls has little coughs and flu when they are young.
Feel free to say any thing to me.

Thanks again. U hv been very helpful. Wow! u bf for 2 years. Thats admirable. Me, thinking of stopping a lot of times but presevered because a promise I made to myself to bf at least a year. Plus whenever I wanted to stop, someone in the family falls sick. So, I thot better not stop. What if bb caught the bug..
Now, this sore is bothering me so much that I don know how long can tahan...

call me if you cannot tahan ! haha,
Just remember suffer a little now, cos if they are not strong now U will have to suffer later .... when they fall ill easily !

No prob call me any time. I worked in TMC for 10 yrs and have made many frens thro breast feeding talks!
kao_clap.gif

hi belle,
can use johnson n johnson's bb oil? where do u rub? it seemed tt my boy has a hard time passing motion but then again, wen he actuali did, his stools not hard ley.. its the normal type.. wonder how cum he got difficulty letting it out.. i tot its the milk but dun tink so now la..

hi bbp,
i think, if u squeeze out ur breastmilk now (i suppose ur still pregnant), u'll actualli stimulate labour (ladies, corect me if im wrong yah)..

hi kemmy,
i havent started on the more milk plus yet coz im still taking the metoclopramide tingy.. but im tinking of stopping the latter coz doesnt seem to have effect.. havent pumped for past 2 days n i dun feel engorged like i'd used to if i dun pump out..

hi bernie,
ur a nurse? as in seriously? aiyoh, i need help ley.. still cant tbf.. how? tried everything.. sian ley but still wana tbf.. how?
sad.gif
bb latch wic is an improvement but hes not tbf liao...

Hi all
how many days maximun can i rest a sore and painful breast for it to heal. Cos i got one side very painful the nipple pale in colour & opening like abit swell like got abit bruise. painful when i latch on my bb, after feeding still got tingling sensation.anyone got suggestion tat can heal fast cos supply getting lesser than the other side.

oh no that's a bad sore. I had sore nipple initially, even bleed. I used medela nipple cream, takes a few days to heal. But I still tried to feed so that can clear the milk. Or you can use a manual pump to express out so that supply will not drop. I will apply cream after every feed until nipple is more season. Hope this helps.

mom to be,

We used Johnson & Johnson baby oil. Take a cotton bud, dip in oil and insert a little bit in the anus and rotate gently. On babycenter or other website, they suggest using a thermometer. It's the same idea.

My baby's stool is also not hard when he passes motion but since he stores it up for a couple of days, there is a lot! Once it even leaked out of the diaper onto the floor while my maid was holding him while sitting on the sofa. very gross....haha....imagine if he stores up 3 days' worth.

hi belle,
ok, wil try tt out if he doesnt pass motion today.. my boy oso passed till leaked out of his diapers twice aft not passing for 2 days.. btw, b4 tis prob, my boy farted alot.. ever since tis thing (passing motion once/twice every 1/2 days), his fart quite smelly ley.. how abt urs? wen i told the doc abt it, he said, its normal.. is it realli normal?

Hi handydog
Thanks for ue advice
I did pump out the milk to clear my breast and also apply cream but i think mine not only sore the nipple opening very funny looking lei dont wat that.
Also one more Qs.
My bb stool is very watery, is it normal for FBF bb? for 3days liao

if it still doesn't heal after few days, better see a doc, u don't want to get any inflammation which normally will cause fever.

Most FBF babystool is watery, yellow mustard seed. Just make sure is not green and smelly.

mom to be, i oni cut hair during pregnancy. now tt i'm still bfing, i did treatment but i din do highlight/colour/rebonding/perm.

rgding sore nipple, it was v.bad during my initial wks too, so apply nipple cream & air it whenever possible. abt 1mth+ ago, was latching my bb on e left side, when he unlatched, saw some red liquid flowing out fr his mouth, know something is not rite, subsequent days, i feel my left side v.sore & extremely painful when latching, look at my nipple, find it a bit cracked. recalled tt few days b4, he sucked quite hard & sometimes bite, tink tt's y my nipple got sore & cracked. i apply nipple cream & air it when possible for few days, glad tt it healed within a wk.

Hi kemmy,

sorry - late reply : )

my milk ss increased by 10ml so far. Think it's a good start. I will continue to take and monitor. r u intending to take it too?

Hi mom to be,
how's the More Milk Plus coming along?

Indeed that wearing wire bra during pregnancy really cause milk ducts. I don't have this problem when expecting my 2nd son. Cos I wear maternity bra. But when I am expecting my 3rd baby, I wear wire bra most time. In the end on the 3rd day after delivery, I have very bad milk ducts that I have to go hospital to ask the nurse to help me to remove the milk ducts.

yes mum in detress i am a real paediatric nurse manager used to be with thomson medical centre for 10 yrs.

Hi can I check how can I increase my milk supply? Currently I am expressing out instead of latching my gal on. She is currently 2 weeks old. Currently I feed her 70ml of EBM per time. I am able to pump about 90 to 100ml each time every 3 hrs. But I am scared that I may not be able to keep up with her demand in her future.

For those who are bf, dont give up, I was unable to latch my gal successfully but i am still determined to give her BM. Thus, I started pumping every 3 hrs or less, from initially a few drops of milk to currently 90ml. Was feeling despressed initially and cried a few times when I only have a few drops of milk and need to supplement her with FM. But with the support of my parents and my husband and determination, I am currently able to give her EBM fully.
However, I am worried that my supply will drop once I return to work in one month time. Experience mum, may I know how can I maintain or increase my supply?

Shannonbaby,now your baby is only 2 weeks old and you continued to pump 3 hrly, supply will increase. Now my baby is 10 days old, I also expressing about 70 ml-90ml of milk too. But right now, due to jaundice, doc want me to stop bf for 3 days.

Drink more hot soup, longan and red dates tea and eat more fish.

maureen,

stop bf to reduce jaundice?? my baby has jaundice for 2 weeks already. the level still havent go down. quite worried. but my PD never ask me to stop bf even though i bring my baby for review every alternate days.
is it a must to stop bf for jaundice baby??

My DS is 9-mth plus now and still TBF. Initially my supply also low, but don't know why suddenly one day it just increase. So mummies don't give up, keep trying, you never know.

Shannon, that why until now I didnt stop. My friends told me to feed more to flush it out. That why I am giving my baby to drink water too.

shannonbaby, my bb is coming to 2mths old, been giving her EBM since she's 2-3 days old n now still on EBM. I'm still trying to let her latch on once a day cos I scared supply will drop if purely expressing. I do supplement wz FM though.

babyshannon,
r u having confinement?
U can cook ginger in your food,
but don't eat them,
also try not to take wine/wine in food 3 hours b4 BFing.
happy.gif

You may try to "suntan" your baby about 8-10am for 10-20 mins,
pls rem to cover baby's eyes for protection.
happy.gif

hi semangka,
ive oni started taking for 2 days oni.. so far, ss havent increase yet.. how long did urs take for ss to increase?

my son's is gonna be 2 mths old on sat.. dun think my ss can keep up to his needs.. is it too late for me to tbf bb now coz rite now, hes still being supplemented.. how ladies, still got hope or not for me to tbf?

Yes have to latch on or pump out.

I am doing confinement now. My mil added ginger into the food but I am not taking. What I do now is give him some at least 2 times of FM and let him drink water.

My place here got no sun. If need to suntan have to bring him downstairs.

rabbit41,
supplement with FM may means lesser demand,
then you'll have lesser supply...
Can ask your MIL to bring him for suntan?
happy.gif

When I gave him FM, I will express out the milk. So it doesn't really affect it. Just that now fridge already starts to have a few bottles of milk already.

So far my mil is also quite busy. Furthermore these few days like have no sunlight. Now I just wait the jaundice to go so I can total breastfeed him.

rabbit41,
do rem to express every 2-3 hours,
for too long, u have to freeze the EBM...

Ask your MIL if she heard of "NG KEE CHEE" aka "yellow stick seed",
I understand from my previous CL that this can be used to remove jaundice.
Can be bought from Chinese Medicine Hall.
happy.gif

mom in destress,
still got hope.. you know, only recently i managed to total breastfeed my girl for 2 days and she was cranky or whatsoever..
happy.gif
she just touched 3 months. i mentioned 2 days because i think she's having a growing spurt now and her milk intake is again inconsistent. Not in time to thaw the milk, so just make FM to supplement. I was giving my girl 3 feeds of EBM until she's 2 months and then slowly increase to 5 - 6 feeds from then onwards.. Dun give up..

hi aria jo,
thanks.. lately, i think my ss dropping actualli.. so im taking more milk plus 6 times in a day instead of 4.. hopefulli ss goes up soon.. if no results, then die liao.. no more breast milk to feed bb.. some more im starting work on feb18.. thinking of extending since ss dropping.. is tat a gd move?

Hi,

Today is my 10 day of delivery and my supply is like 60ml each time is pump every 3 hrs. This is only enuff for his daytime feeds.

Does pumping regularly really helps to increase the ss? I even massage my breast before i pump. *Sight* At time i feel like giving up also....

Jacelyn, that is very good already. It will still increase. Now just only 10 days of delivery. Eat more fish, drink more soup and logan and red dates tea.

Dear all,
do rem to rest well,
stress = no milk
When BB sleeps, sleep together.
happy.gif

Also pls rem to drink more liquid,
red date tea, soup, milk, milo, etc...
We alone need 2L of water,
so BFing mummies needs about 2.5-3L of liquids.

HTHs.
happy.gif

mom to be,
you're total breast feeding is it? no FM to standby? feb 18 is a long way to go.. may be by next week your supply will come back leh..mine also drop over the weekends. i was not diligent enough. just let her latch and dun pump out the excess after her feed. my supply drop by 100ml leh...i used to be able to pump out 120ml per session at least but it took me so long to pump out 100ml..so scary..so, yesterday i increase one more session in the office and pump out my milk after latching her at home. i also drink more water in the office.. so, now supply came back. breastfeeding is a journey, sometimes supply goes up and down. we just got to persevere to try to maintain/increase the supply...

Yes bf there are up and downs. Especially when menses returns. When I was bf my 2nd son, I also only get 100-120 ml each day. I expressed at work 3 times, at home latch on and pump at the same. No matter how much we get as long as we have bf our babies and kids are good enough. Don't give up. When bf don't go on diet too. No food intake means low milk supply too.

Let all jia you.

Back