Twins/Triplets/Multiples Mum to be!

congrats Carla! hope your babies get discharged from NICU very soon [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

btw, just out of curiosity, no one experienced REALLY BAD uterine contractions after the delivery? i had such bad ones on the 2nd night that i needed a painkiller jab on my thighs to help but it made me knock out also. the pain was so bad that i was literally biting on my fingers to try and distract myself from the pain. and at that point, believe it or not, my cousin and wife continued to carry a conversation with me.. ignoring my looks of pain and my choppy answers to that questions. and all i wanted to tell them at the point in time was "go home and let me rest!!!!" even thinking abt the pain now gives me the shudder.

i wasn't sure if it was purely because our uterus was so stretched due to carrying twins so it was esp painful or i had some black fungus for dinner that evening. according to my mum, it clears blood clots from the womb. but i did hear that the uterine contraction gets worse with each pregnancy.... *sweat*

azureoct, same, my 2nd day was BAD.

I refused to see anyone apart from my hubby and mother. I was in tears a lot because it was so painful. In fact I would stay in one curled up position for hours because it hurt so much. Forget walking on the 2nd day, I just wanted to get thru the day lying down.

Every movement - even someone accidentally bumping against my bed - and it would hurt. My obstetrician said she stitched up my uterus 'differently' because of the bleeding so i dont know if it's trauma due to that.

ettralyn,

whether you can deliver naturally or need c-section depends on your OG's assessment. the OG's experience in delivering twins naturally is also another consideration.

I delivered my identical twin girls naturally but with epidural in case need emergency c-section. the pd says very few sets of twins are delivered naturally here. cannot remember the reason why, but I believe the experience of the OG does play a major part in it.

Oh dear. The possible pain is makng me nervous. Worse if there are people coming to visit. I think I will just hide under the covers and pretend to sleep.

Kiki, hahaha, that's where hubby comes in handy, to do the entertaining and talking... But seriously, if you aren't up to it, just rest and let hubby fob them off for a day or two.

Spiffy: at least now i know i wasn't the only one who suffered from such bad pain.. thought no one complained abt it here so maybe i was the only oddball who had such pain. btw, are you close to finish serving your notice already? looking fwd to being a SAHM?

Kikichan: you can get hubby to send a sms informing pple on the birth of the twins BUT! remember to add that should they want to visit, they have to check with your hubby. DO NOT provide ward details :p that way, hubby can ask if you want to entertain those pple.

but prob only work for friends and colleagues. somehow, relatives feel that they have the right to visit as and when. they have immunity for whatever rules that are laid down [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Kikichan,

All the best to u and jia you!!!!!

I normally stop pple from coming to vist me in the hospital by telling them that i am tired and need to rest. Even with that, i still have vistor daily!!!!! Esp family members like IL's. But at least many of my friends are understanding enough to agree to visit me after i'm home. U can ask your hubby to pass the message. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Rest well and be strong as u welcome the next phase.

Pinky,

Yup, i think i did not really check on this extra cost if he drop by at Mt A. His clinic is at TMC. Ok i better check and confirmed all this on my nxt visit which is another 2 weeks later.

These few days i can feel that my tummy seem to be bigger and heavier everyday!!!!!! Is this normal and what it suppose to be?

azureoct, you're not alone..[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] I do applaud mums who attempt to walk on the 2nd day though the senior nurse was very stern and said i HAD to get up...which i didn't appreciate.

Next week is my last week at work..! Weeee.

Been tough lately, both boys fell ill with cough, one was hospitalised, then today one had a fever and cried uncharacteristically from 3-6am. In paranoia, I inspected his hands, feet and mouth for blisters/ulcers in case he picked up something from IFC. So tired of taking urgent leave from work.

Spiffy: congrats! you will be free from next week onwards [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] hope your boys recover soon.

ya.. they said i have to pee before a certain time and they have to collect and measure the pee. sigh.... so no choice had to get up!

Friends and colleagues you can easily turn away or ask them to come visit you later but it's the in-law relatives that may put me off esp the loud talking older folks. No way out. I thk room no.you only provide if people asks to visit and at least can kindly say maybe 2nd or 3rd day is better time. Usually in hospitals, even if u have no visitors, the nurse will keep coming in every few hours to disturb your rest.

Spiffy, welcome to sahm club. Think it's always good to take a break and look after our own kids for awhile else time just flies by.

doblue,

yes better to check all these as need to prepare cash in advance. My gynae shared with me her fees & we had to pay a deposit to her too.

RE: Visitors

When I delivered last year it was during the H1N1 outbreak so only hubby was allowed in. It worked well for us and I really appreciated not having any visitors.

I actually stopped my friends from visiting me in the hospital and told them to visit me when I get home... but looking back, actually at the hospital, it was easier to have visitors cos there was help constantly from the nurses and baby was sleeping most of the time... while at home, things were more overwhelming and I felt a lot more tired... haha... but that could just be me. Also, i had natural delivery the last time, so I wasn't in pain and could entertain the relatives & colleagues. But overall, yes, I agree that the husband be the filter of all the messages. It helps a lot. =)

MLPY,

wanted to PM you but you don't accept PMs.

when were both your girls in head down positions? At my last check at 30weeks+ my twins are still in 69 positions. Am still praying that my twin A will be able to flip.

Azureoct, kiki

Thanks, am looking forward to it.. Also want to resume cooking if there's time. I've not been able to do so for a long time.

Hi MLPY, yeah, i'm also interested to know... My identical twin boys at Week 31 are also in 69 positions... and the gynae said they are likely to stay in that position cos of the lack of space.

Pinky, my Dr friend told me that it's possible to deliver naturally in 69 positions because the 2nd one will usually turn after the first one is out. Or, I read that the dr can reach in and turn the baby (yikes, sounds real painful though)... you already booked your C-sec date? Are you undecided about the op? It's like me... 80% set on going C-sec, but always wondering if it's possible to go natural. Haha. Sigh.

L,

my presenting twin is in buttock down position so he has to be head down. Plus my gynae will only attempt a vaginal delivery if both twins are in head-down positions. I've booked my C-sect date already. If we cannot go for natural delivery then might as well we choose a date we want for my C-sect. I'm still 50-50. My gynae says there's still a chance of my boy turning so if it happens we'll try for vaginal.

Hi all,

I am being discharged tonight! I feel great despite having a c-sect on Monday! The wound is healing well and the pain is almost gone,only when I get up/down do I feel a twinge sensation. But the binder really helps support then wound- I recommend it if you are going for a c-sect.

Gynae wanted to keep me in another day, but am dying to get home and see my other 2 children! ( and sleep in my own bed!)

The babies are doing well also, milk intake has gone up from 3ml every 3 hrs to 5 ml every 3 hrs, so fingers crossed that continues to progress and they are digesting it well. No jaundice so far either! Happy about that. My milk has come in.. and fast! Am expressing 90ml every 3hrs! Nurses were shocked! I plan to keep expressing every 3 hrs, so my body clock is used to it for when the boys come home.( we are hoping 4 weeks..) I will be in every day (twice) for at least 3hrs.. have to manage the times while my other kids are at school, and then after they go to bed. Don't want them to feel neglected since the new babies have come along. My mum is coming to stay for 6 weeks to help me out , and the kids feel really comfortable with her, so that helps alot.

I hope everyone is doing well, and I hope everything went smoothly for you today Kikichan!

Carla

Congrats!!

May i ask which brand of breast pump u are using?

U pump instead of latching directly? If use breast pump in hosp.. How to sterilise the pump after each use?

Hi Baby,

I was using the hospital breast pump at the moment (Medela)- they provide sterilised bottles and funnels for each use. (Gleneagles), but I am sending it directly down to the NICU, I'm not sure about what to do if you need to store it etc...(although there is a fridge in the room..)

My babies are too small to latch directly at the moment, they have a tube through their nose which the milk goes through- but as the nurses put the milk through, I put a pacifier in their mouth to encourage them to suck at the same time. It worked really well with my first children and they made a smooth transition to direct breastfeeding-.

I am now using my own pump- Medela (pump in style), it is the same that I used for my 1st preg- just took it to Medela to have it serviced and bought some new tubes etc, it's a fantastic pump.Def worth the $$.

When are you due, are you due? are you planning to BF?

Doblue,

My girlfriend did it for me as she knows someone that works there... so will give her a call today and find out for you ok!

carla

im due in dec... also delivering in glen e...

did dr mention how long yr twins have to stay in hosp? how many weeks are u when u deliver? the cost of NICU very exp?

i also interested in Medela pump...yours is electrical or manual pump? ya im planning and hoping to bf totally for at least the first 6 mths...

Doblue, the medela contact is:

J & E Baby and Mothercare Products Pte Ltd

No. 81 Toh Guan Road East

# 03-01 Secom Centre

Singapore 608606

Tel. (0065) 6562 3008

You can buy spare parts or rent hospital grade pumps there too.

Spiffy,

Thanks for the infor. Will call and bring it down for service and check.

Carla,

U rest well and thanks too. Got the infor already.

Morning!

doblue-sorry for not getting back to you sooner- thanks Spiffy for providing the info!

I am doing my first morning pump of the day as I type..(too much info !) and my body had totally forgotten what it's like to wake every 3 hrs.. I know it's different when there is an actual baby instead of a pump but..

baby,

My twins will need to be in the NICU for another 4 weeks, and yes to be very honest, it is very expensive. I think for my first 2, who were in there for 7 weeks, it was over $50K. The nursing staff are beyond exceptional, as is the equipment they use at the end of the day..it didn't really matter.

Although this time round we are relieved it won't have to be for so long! They were born @ 32(+6 days) weeks.

The boys ( Jack and Harrison), have gone from drinking 1ml on their first day , now up to 7 ml and digesting it well, which is a huge relief- seeing that all babies lose weight in the few days after they are born, so fingers crossed they continue to feed well, so they will fatten up in no time! At the moment they are so boney!

Pinky

That's fantastic news!

I hope you enjoy a RELAXING Saturday!

carla,

90mls is tremendous for early days! Since they won't be drinking so much yet, will you be freezng your bm? Are your other kids excited to see Jack and Harrison (Ford??)?

carla

so u paid $50k in full cash for two bbs in NICU for 4 weeks? May i know which gynea deliver for u?

Cos my gynea did mention to me that he will refer me to kkh for delivery if im gng to deliver early due to the high cost of NICU in pte hosp...

Hi ladies

Sorry cant remember which MTB here is seeing gynae in BOTH kk and pte hospital. May I know if i register with kk with a referral letter from polyclinic, can i still choose a gynae or they will allocate one to me?

I understand that bills for NICU in pte hospitals are very expensive. Is it like 1k per day per bb? How much is it in kk?

How much is each consultation in kk? Do i let the kk gynae know i am also seing another gynae in another hospital?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I am worried if babies are born earlier ( "touch wood") and may need special care. Thanks. Btw I am with TMC

Hi Nann, that's me. =) I'm seeing gynae in both KK and TMC. I went to the KK gynae with a letter from my TMC gynae (they're friends). So my TMC gynae gave the KK gynae a heads up before I made an appointment with her. So the KK gynae knows that I'm seeing her as a 2nd doc. But I'm not sure if every gynae in TMC will be supportive of you seeing another gynae in KKH... my gynae was very nice and supportive of the decision, which made it easier for us.

Each consultation in KK is about $80-$100 (so far I went for 2), without any additional supplements etc, in the private suite. I think it's good if they know that you are seeing 2 so they know the course of action for your delivery.

Pinky,

I'm 30 weeks!!!! When is your nxt visit? Mine is 2 weeks later. Anyway, do u feel bloated. These few days i can only take 1 meal a day the rest are more like light food like soup or a pc of cake/bread. Otherwise will have heartburn...sigh.....

Carla,

No worries. Is not easy for u since u need to take care of 2 pairs of twins and visit the boys in hospital. U must take care and rest well ya. So when the 2 boys are back u have all the energy to handle them. I hope your new helper is good. Your milk supply is good, the 2 boys will surely grow well with mummy's milk. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

L,

just curious. If you're at TPS in KKH, if touch wood babies need to come out earlier, will you be given subsidized rates for the babies' NICU?

baby,

u dun accept PM, i have a medela PISA for sale. in excellent condition, only used for 6 weeks. bought locally, warranty valid till 31/05/2011. interested, just PM me. thanks.

L

Thanks for the prompt reply [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Ur gynae actually gave u to referral letter to register at kk. So understanding. I will be seeing my gynae next month so I will check with him regarding this issue. Thanks again

Hi all,

My baby gals arrived morning on 26 Aug. C sec really not easy. I did not know that it involved a lot of pushing on your tummy which was really uncomfortable. Only consolation was while they were injecting the epidural, somehow I fell asleep and dint feel the injection.

Girls are 2.5+kg and 2.2+kg. No jaundice so far and staying in normal nursery. I should be able to be discharged this Sunday together with the girls.

And on the visitors, I got a complaint today from the head nurse cos last night due to in-law relatives visiting in big group and the older folks talking excitedly at over the top volume after 9pm which irritated the next door patient trying to sleep. So paiseh :p

Carla, for me breast feeding is all I have been doing only and it's still just the colostroem, so I just ask for top up after each feeding.

Quite a thrill being first time mummy and still need some time to bond with the twins but I can already tell them apart. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

baby,

yes, I paid it (well my insurance company paid for it) for twins in NICU for 7 weeks.My son needed respiratory help and so his level of care was higher than my daughters. I'm sure that incurred higher costs also.

There has been a number of babies transferred to KKH while we've been there, due to the cost also.

Spiffy,

I've neber had a problem with shortage of BM! its quite overwhelming! I am taking it all to the NICU twice a day- they are freezing it. I have also been keeping some in the freezer here at home.. just in case! Yes, my other kids are very excited about their new brothers!

( ha ha, yes, my Hubby is a big Indiana Jones fan....so that was a compromise!)

Nann,

Subsidized rates for consultation is at half price. Thus, each consultation is 30+ (see diff doc each time and just tell you about the babies growth progress based on ultrasound measurements)

Each ultrasound is 60 which is like compulsory for twins. Sonographer does the scanning but doesn't tell you much.

My own private gynae and the kk records are aware that I am keeping the kk registration only for the purpose of "in case really early pre term so you can just check into their labour ward in case of emergency" and they are not surprised but actually supports it too. I think a lot of twin mummies do it this way.

Hope this info helps.

Congrats Kikichan!

So pleased that everything went smoothy for you on the delivery of your little angels! Hope you enjoy your last night in the hospital....because when you get home, it's never going to be the same again!

Am envious of you being able to take your babies home with you!

take care.

Pinky, I don't think I will get subsidized rates since I'm going to TPS at KKH and seeing gynae there as a private patient. But I think the NICU rates will still be lower than TMC if the twins need to use it... (I think!)

Nann, my referral letter wasn't official... it was more of a personal letter that my gynae wrote to her friend in KKH to tell her more about my case. But cos the KK gynae knows I'm seeing her as a 2nd gynae, she doesn't say much or give much advice when I see her. I guess it's expected...

Kikichan, congratulations!!! The twins are of such good weight and glad to hear that they're healthy and going home... it's time for next phase... enjoy it. =)

kikichan: congrats!!!! your babies are of such good weights! i really 'peifu' you... how do you fall asleep at the point of epidural???!!! i was a nervous wreck.. ready to scream n run away....

Carla

I also bought the GE insurance for ivf... But i think the cover is quite little..

So u paid $50k in full cash or the insurance paid it? Whats the amt u paid frm yr own pocket.. And the amt insurance paid for u?Sorry for the detailed qn.. Cos i hope to know whats the estimated cost if i would to deliver early in glen e..

Kikichan

Congratulations [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] The twins are of good weights and need no special care. Enjoy motherhood and appreciate the kk info.

U fell asleep during epidural? Thought epi is suppose to keep u awake so u can see u babies and hear their first cries? Epidural c sect also needs pushing? Thought natural v birth then need

Kikichan,

congrats on ur babies!

doblue,

i don't have heartburn problems (yay), but I don't usually eat a lot at each meal also. in fact recently i think i'm eating less so my weight gain has been stagnant over these couple of weeks.

my next appointment will be on the 6th. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi ladies,

Im a triplets mummy who have given birth on 1 may 2009 at 26+6 weeks. My babies are born pre-term.

I would like to congratulate mummies who have given birth and also mummies who are bout to give birth.

Firstly, its never easy for multiple pregnancies to last till the full term..

I have learnt to monitor baby by their weight and not only gestational age. Usually if babies are in NICU, they will be discharge when they are healthy and cross the 2kg mark, i have heard of babies being discharge when they cross the 1.8kg mark.

For mummies whith pte doctors and have low placenta etc.. i will strongly suggest to switch to govt hospital.

Pte hospital charges for 1 baby alone in NICU can cost up to $3k per night for your info.

If babies born ard 1kg, be prepared for about 3 months to 4 months stay depending on their health, babies born 1.2kg - 1.5 kg, maybe ard 1-2 months stay. An average baby weight gain is ard 30-80gm per day.

Cheers

baby,

I am an expat, so as I am away from my home country,my hubby's company pays for everything-We pay the first 2k (per year!) and then they pay the rest. Of course it doesn't count for anything elective-(IVF..etc.. ) but it covers all hospital stays and doctors visits. (pre- and post birth, and for children)

I'm sorry , I realise that it might not be the same situation that you are in, so the costing may be different for you- going on the insurance policy you have taken out.

Don't stress... that could only bring things forward!!

I'm sure you have chosen the policy which is best for your family, and will be able to deal with whatever happens.

I know Glen E is quite $$, but if you have discussed with yr doc the possible transfer to KKH if the need should arise then I wouldn't worry.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.

But I am an experienced mother of twins.....so am happy to help in any other way I can... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Spiffy,

I have a maid, and me...

My other 2 are at school from 9-3pm daily, and the school bus collects them from our doorstep...

I will be putting (well trying to) Jack and Harrison on the same schedule for feeds etc... and I'm pretty confident that we'll manage just fine.

I have to say, for 3.5 yr olds, the kids are quite good kids. Don't get me wrong, they still act up, fight and are naughty but all in all, they are good, so I am honestly not worried.

My mum has just arrived-and she will stay till the bbs come home, mainly because I will be back and forth to the hospital, and my helper is quite new, so she's still getting herself adjusted. I also thought it would be better for the kids to have someone familiar who they are comfortable with, during this time.. as it's going to be quite an adjustment for them too!

Do you have someone who is helping you?

carla,

it's great u have help at home & I can see u've done a good job handling your 1st set of twins. Some mummies here have lamented about how tough it is to handle twins alone without help & without help from their parents. Yet, you make it sound like a breeze. Cheers to you!

To what extent did ur maid help out with the twins? Or was she hired with the main intention of handling household chores while you focused on ur twins?

I'll be having a confinement lady during the 1st month & my mum is taking a week off from work mainly to help out with DD (she'll be 17-18 months then). Like u said, it's better during the adjustment for the kids to have someone familiar with. We have not committed to a maid yet, as we are also considering playgroup or a daytime babysitter. I foresee the first couple of months are not going to be easy for us either, but your input will definitely be helpful!

hi carla,

i don't have a domestic helper but when i stop working soon, i'll leave one boy at my mom's place every morning. We currently do that, with the other in infant care.

I've tried caring for both alone previously and while it is doable, i feel i can't give either my full attention. It's very stressful scurrying about pacifying one baby after the other all day, leaving me with no time to even have a shower! And hearing them cry while I'm doing something else always makes me stressed, and feeling like i'm not being a good mother.

It is commendable that some mothers choose to care for the bbs alone and I'd rather not split them up but i think this is the best day arrangement for us. Lately I've heard so many stories about errant helpers that i'm resolved not to get one....

Hi all. Came home with my twin angels today. It's a special feeling to be bringing home 2 babies. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Nann,

I fell asleep when they are preparing to inject the epidural. It's not simply injecting a syringe. You have to be in fetal position and spine curled up, which was really uncomfortable and scary cos you are not sure when they are going to start injecting. So anyway. While expecting the injection anytime soon, I must have passed out. Cos the next moment when I was awake I could not feel my bottom half anymore and the anathestist is telling me he is going to literally push your tummy to ease the baby out while the gynae pulls them out one by one. Although you can't feel anything below, you still can feel the strange and strong tugging within your tummy which is Really uncomfortable that tears will flow (for me).

The husband being beside you to grab your hand helps a lot. Both babies came out one min apart each other then the gynae does the stitching. Despite the discomfort it is a sense of relief and satisfaction seeing babies for the first time and hearing their first cries.

Oh but the c sec wound is indeed 'damn' painful once the morphine and epidural wears out on the second day.

Back