Travelling with a 14 months old baby

zolldoll

Dear all mummies,

Anyone went travelling overseas with a 14 coming 15 months old baby before? What did you have to bring like bath tub, steriliser etc..And also how to cook porridge for my son when i bring him overseas? Appreciate advices out there, many thanks in advance.

I travelled with my boy when he was 1 yr old to Bangkok.

First of all, we chose a more reputable hotel with clean water and can provide a baby cot.

We bathed our boy in the bath tub. Coz he's 1yr old already, we just poured hot water to sterilise his bottles.

I brought bottled food like Gerber, Heinz along to mix with rice cereal instead of cooking porridge. I heard some mothers buy the Tiger thermal pot to cook porridge but i find it's too much of a hassle. I just fill my thermal flask and bring out for his milk & cereals. At the restaurants, I'll ask them for a bowl of hot water which I will use to warm up the bottled food and then mix with cereal & a bit of hot water.

In the morning, when they serve the breakfast buffet, it usually comes with plain porridge, so I'll mix a bottle of the prepared food with the porridge.

U can also bring along fruits like apples/bananas and a masher to make puree.

I brought along a stroller & a sling so that we can put all our barang barang on the stroller and if there's stairs, I'll use the sling to carry my boy while my hb will carry the stroller. The stroller also doubles up as a changing table when we're out coz not all places have rooms for you to change your bb.

anyone already giving adult food to their babies at this age (12-13mth)

I would like to travel but my gal fussy eater. She doesnt take the jar food well. In fact, she hates porridge too. She just want to take rice, but to travel, i'm worried of the salt and msg content in the food cooked outside. Cannot jus give white rice rite?

We have been travelling with my ds when he was like 6 months. By the time he was one, he takes the food in the hotel, just order food with special request like no msg, soy sauce etc for bb and most of the time the hotel will entertain for lunch and dinner. Breakfast my boy will take toast and cereals.

We also travel with bb snacks like biscuits and packet juices for him, bought bottled water for him.

Dear all mummies for the advice..I think it is really quite a hassle for me cos son cannot walk yet. And as i am pregnant now myself, i will not be able to carry him for long. As for food, i think i will maybe buy instant porridge if got no choice, only thing got msg. Or i might have to bring the whole cooking pot along, sigh..

where & when u intend 2 go? cos different countries offer different types of food, of cos if u eat at htl, most of them offers international range..

aso of the weather...some children hve been used 2 the weather in sing, might hve some difficulties adjusting 2 the weather there...of cos hve 2 pack some med 4 yr son 2 stand by...

as for the instant porridge, dun buy the nestle brand...i've tried it, it tastes funny, nt nice...my son dun like it at all...hehehe...

Hi Carlyn,

It will only be a short trip to Malacca. How bout Maggi porridge? But these got msg lei, dunno ok for my son not.

when my boy was 14 mths, we drove up to port dickson.

hotel got bath tub, so we bathed him inside there. didn't bring steriliser, we used boiling water to scald his utensils as a form of sterilisation. you can buy sterilisation tablets if u wan.

as for his meals, i bought the nestle instant porridge, but it was difficult to cook as got no stove. but i did standby lots of baby jar food and biscuits to feed him. i also brought a whole tub of diamond water cos dunno how clean malaysia water is. :p

i did give adult food like kuah tiao soup for my son when we're outside.
other food like bread or bao also good when we can't prepare baby food for them.

Have you got yourself a nice bag or perhaps stroller totes? It's one of the important things to put all your necessities
happy.gif
. Last time, i got mine from

www.wassupbaby.com

Check it out!
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/wendy_cloey/1copy.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/wendy_cloey/2copy.jpg

Thanks all mummies. Think even if outside porridge or food has msg, it should be quite ok to feed my son for a few days with that. I hope it will not be hard as we will be driving there, and my dear old son can never sit still thoughout. I will be bringing my stroller along too as well, and my handy diaper bag. I might be buying a travellers cooker like one friend of mine suggested, but still quite hassle to cook and timing quite hard to match with the rest of the group. And also gotta bring dried vege like carrots and broccoli for my son, which i have to cut to add in the porridge. Luckily my son though still not much tooth, is quite greedy and takes most food. ha ha..

zolldoll
if u can, borrow a portable DVD player to play during the drive. it was a life-saver for me!
happy.gif

Hi dumbger,

Thanks so much. Why didnt i think of that? Cos i can hardly make my son sit still even if it is 15 mins ride, less a 3 hours ride to Malaysia. Good idea..

Hi zolldoll,

I went Malacca last Dec/Jan with my 2 boys too. The younger one was abt 13 mo then. I brought Pigeon baby food. They hv the kind with rice or juz stew. I also bought the garnishing kind to add to porridge/rice in the hotel. My boy likes the kind with rice but one portion is a bit small for him and 2 potions costs abt $9 :p Nevermind if only for a few days
happy.gif
We also gave him pasta at the hotel's buffet station, hubby requested for it to be cooked softer. He also ate lots of bread and bun and some yogurt. There are bananas, apples, oranges etc. which you can feed your boy too.

You might want to homecook for the first day and bring it in a container which can keep warm for at least 6-12 hrs, thus one day settled.

I brought along lots of snacks during the trip and a small, new toy. Try to bring out the food little at a time. The toy helped to keep my boys on their seat when I flashed it out and did a puppet sing-a-long to their nursery rhymes CD :p Try to plan the drive time to be near your boy's nap time. Mine slept almost all the way from Malacca back to SIN and we didn't make any stop to complete the journey asap
happy.gif

HTHs
happy.gif

Zolldoll

I stayed at Makota in Malacca and find the water rusty leh. So if you're cooking, u might need to buy bottled water.

Your kid is still so young, so may not wanna watch dvd. u might wanna try first at home.

Hi Bin,

Thanks for the advice, i will check out pigeon food. Cos eversince i started my son on porridge, i find those cereals or baby porridge like heinz too diluted for my son. I have no problems for the first day. I guess the next few days will be more on adult foods we eat though i still hope i can find porridge when i am out shopping in malacca.

Hi Mashy, i will be staying in hotel equatorial so i hope the water there will be ok. Otherwise i will have to boil bottled water for his milk feeds.

Hi zolldoll,

Hotel Equatorial's location is ideal, the shopping mall is juz next to it. Juz a note, good to bring a pram when you go shopping, cos there is no baby changing room in the whole mall! I had to change my 2 boys in the washroom standing while sweating away
sad.gif
Check out the store that sells Hallmark's clothings, good quality stuffs and great deals if there's sales
happy.gif

Hi Bin,

Wow, i hate changing my son in his stroller or our car as he cannot sit still. We will be driving there so bringing stroller as well. Think my luggage will be very full cos there seems to endless things to carry there.

My baby is reaching 7 months by this April and I intend to travel with her to Chongqing, is this ok? Heard of too many horror stories of ear drums bursting and cries on board the plane. And also appreciate any advice on what to bring on board.

Hi Foo An Gie, I started flying with my boy when he was 2 months old. Babies at this age is easiest to travel because they cannot run around. When taking off and landing, just feed him milk or water or biscuits so he keeps swallowing and won't hurt his ears. Best thing is not to travel when he is sick because it will be worse on his ears. Things to bring:

1. Biscuits and drinks in case he is hungry.
2. Milk bottle and milk powder (you can get water from the air crew) or if you are breastfeeding then ....
3. Baby's spoon and fork and bib if you are having meals on the plane.
4. Favourite toys and books, especially his comfort toys or pillow or blanket
5. Portable DVD player with favourite VCD or DVD
6. A spare change of clothes and something warm because the plane might be quite cold.
7. If you use a sarong sling like I did, then it can double up as a blanket or pillow
8. Spare tee shirt for you because baby might throw up on you
happy.gif

8. Diapers and diaper wipes

Have fun

Hi Foo An Gie, like Elisha, I also started flying with my gal when she was 2 months and it was a breeze as she slept thruout the flight sucking on the pacifier. When she was abt 10 months old, we hv to bring snacks, pacifier and her fav pillow on board. Try to let her suck on something when taking off and landing, this will help ease the ear pressure.

My older boy started travelling when he was six months. It is usually hassle-free when we fly. Airline staff are very child-friendly. On board the plane, you can ask for baby food, those in bottles like Heinz. My children breastfed till two so I didn't have to worry about milk powder. Also breastfeeding during the flight lulled them to sleep.

For me, the most important thing to do on a trip is not to insist on the child's usual routine, even meals. Go prepared with what Elisha has listed and just enjoy!

Hi, i'll be travelling to HK in May with baby for 6 days. he will be eight months by then. kinda of worried cos this is my overseas trip with him. What are the checklist of items to bring for the trip?

Adding on to Elisha's list, apart from bringing a spare t-shirt/top, also bring spare change of bottoms/pants for yourself on board the flight. My baby's diaper leaked while she was sleeping in my lap, and I stank for the few remaining hours on the flight, it was absolutely miserable, and I'm sure the person sitting next to me wasn't thrilled either.

Back