Teething - What can you do?

rainbowday

Hihi,

My boy recently started teething and is very cranky. Is there any way to alleviate his pains? I'm a bit hesitant to give him those teething gel... do they work? Anyone can share on their experiences?

I just started giving my 7mth old son teething gel. Did not give him at first coz am also hesitant. The look on his face did not make me regret. He looks so happy after me applying it.
Tink should be okay. Can't bear him to be so uncomfortable

the common one is bonjela... my son also had a great deal of trouble with teething.. dunno why my girls grow teeth like nothing like that... got already, I also don't know.

son grow teeth like give birth like that... think maybe because girls naturally got higher pain threshold than boys... that's why woman can give birth... haha.

last time use bonjela... also can buy the munchkin little net thing, and give cold pieces of fruit for them to gnaw on... also quite comforting... just be prepared for the mess of the juice. Just use one of those catchall bibs, should be quite ok... put some tissue or towel in the pocket, to absorb the juices. they seem to like that quite a bit.

hope that helps.

My solutions:
-a cloth/hanky to bite, can stuff anywhere kid wants
-teething ring (hard or soft or both in 1pc)
-chew on cold apple strips, grapes, etc

HI rainbow

I used Dentinox teething gel. Can be found at pharmacy. I always put it in the fridge after use. I apply abt 2 - 3 times a day. Can apply when he is cranky or baby is biting hard with fingers. He always jump for joy or can hear him heave a sigh of relief so think it must hv relief him a lot of pain.

Hi

I am a first time mummy. My gal is 5 months old now. Her bottom teeth just start to grow. And this few days she seems to be very naughty. Keep screaming. Is it she feels uncomfortable or her gums are painful. I just cant figure what is going on with her.

If she is drooling more than usual and her gums are more swollen and sensitive, if it is true, just more TLC and a cold teething ring will do the work. GOod luck

Hi Smurfeoos

What is TLC? I have just bought her a normal teething ring. But instructions says that it cant be put into refridgerator. Will a cooling one be better dan those normal wants?

Thank you

Tender Loving Care
happy.gif
Yep, the baby will prefer the cold version. So buy 2, one in fridge, one for her to chew. Then you can interchange. If really serious, sometimes i put Bonjela for her. Will cause mild numbness to her gums. But your baby is 5 months, don't know whether can use or not?

Hi,

Just to share I find the brand "Baby Farlin" better for teether. The liquid-filled teethers are the softest I can find and my boy seems to enjoy "chewing" them more than the others.

My boy was very cranky and naughty too, nearly drove me crazy. Then I realised he seemed to be in great discomfort due to teething. So I tried speaking and touching him more lovingly (lots & lots of tender loving care) - it works great! He was very much comforted... :-D

Ok. I will try to show more love to my gal. I will ask her PD on her next injection, whether or not can she apply Bonjela during 5mths.

Me too. Can stand my girl making noises. But haizz.. that is baby!! They do not know how to speak, so make noise lor.

hi, need advice...how do you know if baby is starting to teeth?

my happy little boy is drooling alot now and gets very easily irritated and the only thing that seems to comfort him is chewing on his palm.. his gums look ok, no swelling or tell-tale white spots..

and oh..he's only 3mths+

any idea what's happening? help pls.. thanks!

teething is possible that early. my son had his first teeth at about 4mths... around the time he turned 4 mths I think. So now, he also grow his adult teeth very early. 5+, his first baby teeth drop liao... now 7y2m already got 6 adult teeth and 2 more wiggly liao.

Diff baby diff... some babies very early, some late. my #2, 10mths then got teeth. my #3 8mths. I myself had teeth at 3 mths.

try giving him something cold to chew if he know how to hold it to his mouth. munchkin has this net thing to put fruit in, then baby can chew on it and only the juice and mashed fruit will come through. Good for teething. I used to put things like grapes in the fridge, then put one in the net and give it to baby to let baby chew... worked well. in fact, i actually bought two... one for using, and one for reserve for when we go out and drop the first one or what, got second one to use. haha. kiasu. that's how much we liked it.

my son's teething bothered him a lot, but my girls never bothered about teething... they just quietly grew their teeth and then eh, suddenly got teeth liao. haha.

thanks dorie, your reply is very helpful.. shall look out for the net thing.

actually, was beginning to think that i'm turning into one of those paranoid moms becos everyone keeps saying that babies don't teeth this early. phew...

I just realise my 4 months old have 2 small little teeth on her bottom gums ... I guess that explain her grooling and reduce in milk intake right? hehe !
happy.gif

hi, same prob here.. my girl already showed signs of teething ard 3mths.. she drools a lot n bits.. but now she doesn't wanna to drink fr bottle.. c bottle cries like mad.. is it cos bottle teat will make it more painful for her? any solutions mummies?

Hi, my son is now 8 months old. So far he has 2 tiny teeth on his bottom gums.

These few days he has been feeling cranky and having fever.. Don't want to take milk and water.. Tried all means to feed.. Different spoons.. Syringe.. MagMag cup.. Etc.. He just simply shut his mouth and turn away.. Even refuse his favourite juice..

We were thinking may be the top 2 teeth coming out, or may be the bottom teeth hurt the top gums, or may be sore throat..

See doctor she say may be stomach virus..

** FAINT ** Like playing guessing games..

Most importantly: Any advice on how to keep him hydrated?

Thanks..

my girl now 5mth plus oso teething, very cranky.
where to buy the munchkin net? can my 5mths old bb eat those fruits?
so how long then the teeth will come out?

Hi Ladies,

You can get Dentinox from Pharmacy that helps to sooth teething discomfort. Apply several times a day. Keep the teething gel chilled in the fridge and kids love it. The gel has effects to numb the gum and makes feeding easier.

I also get the Ballany (think spelled like that) teething biskuits for my kids. To cool them off, you can also get Heinz Jelly (bottled form) from supermarkets.

All these works for my kids. You can try.

I let my boy bite me
sad.gif
It's painful. It's a lousy trick. But it serves great deed
happy.gif

When he's younger and teething, my boy will usually vent his 'urge' on teethers. Sometimes when I run out of teethers (e.g. in the car and then no more clean teethers liao), I would offer my arm for my boy to release his discomfort. Dont see them small small size, wah lau - their grip is @#%$^! My hubby was shocked to see all the marks on my arms but my boy was very contented to find a new teether.

At the same time, there was a biter in my boy's ccc. THis biter one day left his jaws mark on my boy. The mark turned blue black and it must have hurt my boy very much.

So one day (the blue black jaws mark still there on my son's shin), my boy got this urge again and bite me hard. His papa saw it and quickly got him to release his grip. Then Papa went on to lecture his kid

Papa: Biter bite you pain pain right?
Son: (touching his blue black mark) pain pain.
Papa: Then why u bite mummy? (point to mummy's arm where the reddish jaws mark is) Mummy also pain pain now.
Son: !!!

Then my son walked to me and guess wat? He sayang me leh!
happy.gif
He no longer bite me although sometimes he will simulate the stunt (open his mouth wide and pretend to "arrrrm" my arm).

Through his father, he understands how it's painful to the victim when he bites. Now at his ccc, he's like the watchman. His teachers told us, whenever the biter strikes, he would shout to his teachers," ARRRM! ARRRRM!" to alert them.

Hi
My daughter is turning 9mths in 3 days but hvnt shown any signs of teething. Is it normal? Anyone can advise? Tks!

Hi mommies,

read that some of u hestitate to give teething gel to your baby.

Any reason for that?

Is it bcos not safe for bb to consume?

Thanks!

Will teething cause the child to have fever?Cos my son is abt to 6mths old and having slight fever.After splunging him and feed his with medicine,his temp. dropped.But when he wakes up again,his fever start again...Wondering if the teething cause it or some other reason....

Hi Stunter, yes teething will cause bb to have fever at times. So not to worry too much
happy.gif

Thanks mummies!! All the posts are really useful. Will be hunting more teethers and fruits for my 5mths old girl.

I bought teething rings and put them in the fridge to cool then let him chew... When the teethers are not around it will be teething biscuits which is really hard that kind... Can easily Heinz brand ones at supermarkets. Read online that can freeze raw carrots too.

Cold apple slice helped my daughter before. She gummed it like there was no tomorrow but she was already around 10mos then so apple was ok.. Not sure for younger babies.

While teething can begin as early as 3 months, most likely you'll see the first tooth start pushing through your baby's gum line when your little one is between 4 and 7 months old.

Hi, teething gel apply in small amount can help to relieve itchy gums for baby... I use dentinox (can buy from guardian) and its safe for baby

I suggest you and other mommies to try amber teething things :) because these amber bead necklace/anklets that kids are wearing aren't nearly as hippie as people think and they actually do work which is why they are becoming so popular. The beads are made of real Amber and as they warm against the skin the acid from the Amber is absorbed and reduces inflammation. When you look in to you babies mouth and see their usually swollen gums no longer swollen it's pretty obvious that it does indeed work. If you dont know where to buy baby amber teething necklace or anklet you can search on google and you can buy online or from jewelry shop. The beads are not meant to be chewed on so they can be anywhere on the skin so if you are uncomfortable with your baby wearing a necklace you could get an anklet. If you do decide to use the necklace then make sure it is short enough that it doesn't stick out passed their chin. The case where the little girl got her arm stuck in the necklace was because the necklace was way too long. Also most of the necklaces offer a break away clasp so if somehow your baby was choking themselves with the necklace the clasp should just break open. We use an anklet at night under her pjs and a necklace during the day so I can be sure it's safe to wear. People all over use Amber to treat inflammation. I know lots of adults who wear Amber for arthritis and back pain. Just know this isn't some magical necklace to fix all your problems. It's science based and helps my DD not drool so much while teething.:love

Can't do much except help the child get relief from any discomfort like fever, gum itchiness. There can be changes in poop for a few days. Nothing to worry about as long as baby not dehydrated.

Back