SOKA kindergarten

Hi beautyseek,

How was the enterance day on the 24th Dec? At the end I didnt enroll my son to soka due to logistic reason. Yes I agree their school bus very steep actually that's also one of the reason that stoping me although I really like the school very much. So are you opt for the school bus?

hi

I thot the entrance day is quite a non-event, basically purchase of sch uniforms. My gal likes the school very much and keeps asking me when is sch opening... Yep, opted for sch bus - to make sure absolutely safe.

Hi,

Anyone has reviews about the graduates coping with primary school?

I understand that they do not have HYPY nor spelling tests, so wonder if the students will problems. However i really like their project based approach..can cultivate creativity in the students.

Would like to hear any feedback.

Hi,

Have enrolled my son for nursery pm class next year. Any idea how much is the bus transport from sengkang?

Hi Mummies

My DS is studying with Soka kindergarten. He is graduating this year and I jus like to share my view on the school.

As what many mummies have said above, the 'focus on character building' is impressive, and different from what other school is doing. And this is also one of the main reason why we have chosen this school initially. However, after all these years, i beg to differ. Reasons as follow:

1) Over these 3 years, there are hardly any written assignments eg. spelling, to bring home to do. There are only (sometimes) parent-child bonding activities. Thus, as a parent, that worries me alot. I am worry if my child is able to ride through the primary school journey. Of course, some may said there are many graduates also gone into primary with no hassle. But every kids is different and every family is different. There may be kids that struggle like hell in the primary and parents also suffer together, will they tell you? If the kid has no spelling, no HYPY and no regular homeworks in the kindergarten, will he/ she be able to get use to the primary school life?? Thus, in order to better prepare him, i have to spend extra $ to send him to enrichment classes which teaches HYPY and do more writing (only started this year). Which makes me wonder now why Soka kindergarten are charging so much comparing to other school? Is it really worth it? im not sure now....

2) Character-building is of course important. But when it comes to the critical stage - when he is graduating soon but still cannot write well (Enghish and Chinese and write in a way where all the words still dancing high and low), cannot spell, knows nothing on HYPY, do you know how much anxieties we are experiencing? So at this juncture, the question is not so much of whether he is 'character-ready' to move on to another stage (primary) but whether is he having all the 'tools' to move on!

And after all, character-building is still the responsiblity of the parents, whom we have the greatest influence on our kids.

Having said all the above, i agreed with all the 'positive' thing that what other mummies said - like good teachers, spacious school etc. And some said so far their kids love the school - but who wont? its play and play and play!

Im sorry i cant relate too much specific incidents to support what i said as my kid is still studying there. I do not have any ill feelings towards the school but just that after reading all the postings above, i felt that i should share my view as i was feeling exactly the same as some of you 3 years ago - hopeful, full of excitement on the 'character-building' thing and less academic so DS can enjoy, impressive 3-storey buidling, but now, these are not important to me, most important question to me now is - is my DS ready to embark in the new journey!

Hi Chubbycheeks,

Thanks for sharing. That are my worries, whether my girl will be able to cope in Pri 1 when the time comes, at the same time, am drawn to the holistic curriculum...and not to stress her too much over pre sch education. Such a huge delimma here.

They have a reading program, is your DS able to read now?

Chubbycheeks - Thanks for sharing.

My gal has just started her nursery class this year. I find the teachers a bit blur/careless.

1. The Chinese teacher got my gal's chinese name written wrong. We discovered when we visited on enrolment day. Mistake was repeated again after school has opened...We had to write in communication book to remind the teacher again.

2. The English teacher got my gal's birth date wrong. I asked my gal if they sang her birthday song in school and my gal "corrected" me saying that according to her school teacher, her birthday falls in August not February. I was of course very puzzled. We discovered they got her date wrong (hence my gal's remarks) when we visited the school on open house day and saw for ourselves on the classroom wall the teacher had marked my gal as one of the August birthday kids....

3. Last week, we didnt receive any weekend worksheet. My gal however said that her classmates were sharing about homework done. It turned out that the teacher had missed my gal when inserting worksheet into school bag..

Strike 1 Strike 2 and Strike 3....

My gal in recent days seem reluctant to go school, always crying and dragging her feet. I wonder whether we made the right decision or if the school's quality has changed.

We also worry if she can cope in Primary 1 ...

Anyone else to share please?

Hi Luvv

sorry for late reply...

Yes, my DS can read and he loves reading. I am not boasting but i would say his love for reading is a 50/50 effort from school and us parents. For a start, we read to him every night for about a couple of months, until he has the habit of bed-time reading, then we slacken abit. Its just like learning swimming - we stay with him till he can float and swim then we can relax abit liao hehe...but of course he still prefer us to read with him lah
happy.gif
The school also emphasize alot on having this good habit by providing good reading materials and time for them to read during lessons time. Being able to read and love to read is the fundamentally of all learning later.

Hi Beauty Seet

Sorry to hear what happened to your DD. But i guess the teachers are still familiasing with the little ones so mistakes bound to happen.

For the initial period, i believe the teachers are busy with introducing routines to them (like going to toilet, wash hands, take their own bags etc.) so if the mistakes are not 'life-threathening', just let it go - that's how i 'console' myself during the intial anxiety stage of his nursery life
happy.gif

Here's my 2-cents worth suggestion for those in dilemma of dont know if should enrol with Soka:

Soka kindergarten emphasize on character-building thus they have many little projects where you need to spend time doing with your kids. Thats where you and your kids bond - and thats where their character-built from learning from you! Do you have the time and patience?

Soka dont emphasize on academic - instead, they want the kids to have good habits - like reading, seeking spirits, independence etc. They dont teach HYPY and no spelling. Their reasons is not to kill their learning joy when the kids go primary - meaning if the kids already know everything, then they will 'switch off' during primary time. So look at your kids - do you think your kids is a fast-learner and will be able to catch up with the academic stuff when entering primary? Or are you willing to spend extra $ on enrichments classes if you think your DS/DD need to brush up on those academic area, before entering primary?

Most of all, do you have a 'strong-heart' to see how much your kids is lacking behind comparing to those kids (may be in PAP) whom is stronger acdemically? I dont, thats why i gets frustrated when my DS cant write or count well.

But from what i see, Soka is buidling mileage so kids can learn longer - meaning, if the kids already burnt out by learning so much in their early stage, then they may worn-out in their later leg of learning journey...im not sure if im right, anyone with ex-Soka kids please comment.

So, in summary, if you are the type of hands-on parents and like to do projects with your kids, dont mind spending extra $ on enrichment classes (when needed), have the time and patience to learn together with your kids - then go with Soka kindergarten!

Extra note: i dont log-on often so if any one need any other info, please pm me. And pardon me if i didnt reply promptly but i will definitely reply
happy.gif

Hi I am in delimma whether to choose Soka Kindergarten or PCF Kindergarten. As I staying in Bedok, so have to opt for school bus, where my in-laws strongly feel that we should just enrol PCF that nearby our place. I went to Soka open house last week and like their environment, friendly staff and facilities, and I am very keen to enrol my son in, however I am out of ballot and have to go for PM class. My son still not independent and very stick to my MIL, we are afraid he do not like Soka kindergarten and will definitely cry like hell. Anyone know how well and manageable for Soka teachers to handle the child? Can anyone advise as I do not know how good PCF kindergarten compare to Soka Kindergarten. Thanks in advance!

For those who have enrolled their child to Soka Kindergarten, what did you do for N1 as the school only has N2 or for those kids turning 4?

Also do you know when enrollment starts for 2016? My girl is turning 3 next year and am interested in Soka but too bad they only accept kids age 3 turning 4 in the first level.

Thanks!

Back