Shichida

Can any mummy whose kids have at least attended one yr course with shichida method share with me what do their kids benefit from this shichida method. Do they see any difference by comparing them to their peers? thanks or email me at [email protected], to share more, thanks.

I'm keen to send my son there but felt that he might be too young..(4mths old) heard tt basically the parents hv to do most of the homeworks..
My cousin sends her two sons there for a yr already but feedback say that there's no apparent improvement..so i was rather hesistant after hearing her feedback leh.

hi there thanks for sharing, how old are your cousins's son, they say most benefical is 0-3 yrs old. they attended one yr n see NO improvement at all?

hi sunny beach,
Home practice is very important... Can see the difference only when the kid start to talk and communicate or attend child care... My friend's son has been attending since 8 months old.. Now he's 2.5 yo. My friend told me that he also noticed from the shichida class that those parents who do not do home practice nor follow what was taught, it's not a lot of use...
For me, I am following Glen Doman now for my 3 mth old son. I am also considering Shichida
happy.gif
You are welcome to PM me
happy.gif

Sunny Beach
My cousin's sons r both in pri sch..heheh..cant rem exactly how old oredi..my cousin was telling me tt improvement is not apparent yet..but i guess it's up 2 individual 2 gauge..so diff to say as well.

Lyn
What's Glen Doman's mtd? Any difference?

Hi,

I am the follower of this Shichida method. I found his book by chance in the library when my son was below 2yo. I did attend his seminar when Shichida himself came to Singapore. Well, in Singapore, it seems not many successful cases compare to Japan. I guess, perhaps, most of the Singaporean mummies are working. However, I still strongly recommended his method of teaching which is effective for those kids who are below 6 years old. I did try his method on my kids (of course I modify to make it more interesting) and it really works well on them. Another method is from Tony Buzan (suitable for older kids)- using mind map.

shylyn,
Glen Doman's method is teaching babies to read on their own. GD method uses words. Shichida uses images.

fei fei,
What's the results you see in your kids? Can share? How long have they been on the program? How old did they start?

feifei,

is it useful to attend prof shichida's seminar? What do they share? He is coming again and I am still considering whether its useful to attend....

Hi lyn & poohy,

I don't fully used the shichida method on my kids. I went thru all types of methods, eg, montessori, ECC, Tony Buzan and others. I modify them into my own method to suit my kids' interest. Shichida mtd is quite useful except u hv to change it to be more interesting and lively. I started to teach my kids only when they were 2 yo. I started with alphabets, numbers and colours. Then proceed to words surrounding them, eg, car, chair, daddy, mummy & etc. I flashed them around 50 - 100 words a day depend on their mood. After more than 1000 words, they will automatically understand the phonics. They can read any word throws to them. By the time, they know how to read story books on their own and count 1 - 100. Then I explored them to abacus, memory training, cards memorize, time-tables and music. So far, my eldest son has no problem with the school work and he is doing P3 Science even though he is in P1. Whereas, my 2nd son (K1) is rather good in IQ games and good memory. However, frankly speaking, it's quite tough at the beginning in teaching them as all the kids have their own way of learning, some are good in these and some are good in those. That's why normally before I start to teach my students, I will try to understand their interest first before proceed further. To me, I think that the key to grooming learning genuises lies on using the right method.
In fact, I have a number of students from Shichida's class.

Poohy, before u attend the shichida's seminar, it's advisable to read some of his books so that u will have a better idea & understanding in his talks. Basically, they will talk about the powerful of right brain. How do they train the children on using right brain & etc.... and some examples from Japan. My personal view is that it's still quite useful to attend his talk, at least u see it yourself to have a better understanding of the right brain.

hi fei fei

u say u have a no. of shichida students? are u a teacher? if so do u find shichida students different from any other students who doesn't attend shichida at all?

thanks.

Hi Sunny,

I am running a home-based children enrichment classes. Yes, I have a few of students from shichida classes. Those are very active whom cannot sit still to study. So far, I don't find they are any different from others except they are more get used to cards flashing.

hi hi my girl is now two and a half and has been attending shichida for more than a year..... from what i see from my kid and the other kids in their class i do find that i can see their improvement esp as the kids are starting to be able to express themselves...... i do agree that if u want to put your kid in the shichida sch u do have to really practise the home practice.... esp in areas of photo memory..... where i feel that practise or no practise do make a diff..... as for gd mtd.... it is actually quite diff from the shichida mtd..... in the shichida mtd imaging is a part of the prog.... so some of the flashcards used in class are more pictorial whereas gd is more of factual...... where what u show must be facts...... and the shichida mtd is not just abt flashcards.... it is really alot more...... for my case i feel that going to class i also learn more abt how to make learning interesting for my kids and how to go abt teaching them..... for baby classes it is really more of u learning how to (from my personal experiences)...... i also feel that shichida kids are more focused and able to sit still and concentrate better..... when compared to others that i see in other prog..... tbou it also really depends on the kids.... but i find that the kids who are longer will gradually be able to concentrate better and sit thru the classes..... i am currently practising both methods now and find that both have their plus points/....... for my kid the diff i see is better memory and concentration.......

hi chanshane and shichida mummies
when did you start your children on the shichida prog? I am planning to send my ger in at 6mths of age but worried she is too young to absorb and end up we as parents are the ones going thru the prog and a waste of $$$. Any advise?

TIA!

my girl started when she is 9mths..... some of her classmates started earlier...... to me 6mths of age is not consider young as i feel that the younger the baby is the better it is cos it is really the input age..... and the most impt thing is we can learn the mtd and practise at home.... it is more of u learning actually but i really feel it is worth it..... actually both me and hubby feel that we shld have let her go earlier but have the same doubts as u..... it really is how u view it.... to me if i dont go i really dont know how to go abt the prog even after reading up his bks..... if u are doubtful abt it or find that it is waste of money if baby cant concentrate in class then maybe u can start w the gd mtd..... which i also find is v good.... started my younger baby on a mixture of both mtd when he is born....... and u can get the gd books easily at the library too before u decide whether u want to buy them.... recommend to start w "how to multiply your child's intelligence" or how smart is your baby...... they give an overview on the whole gd prog.... the how smart is your baby book is now available at nlb but have to reserve seems quite popular.... and if u intend to buy the bks it is cheaper at kinokuniya.....

Hi Chanshane,
Mind if you share with me how long have your girl been attending the prog and what do they do in your girl's class when she was 9 months?how long is each session? any idea how old were were the other kids in your girl's class when they started the prog? My girl is now 1+mth old and am planning to start off the GD program at home (I have read those books you recommended when I was preggie) and am contemplating to send her to shichida as well...want to find out more
many thanks!

hi arielle.....
my girl is abt 2 and a half.... she started when she is 9mths..... each class is abt 1hr 15mins + -....... actually the prog is sort of std except they adapt it to the child's age which is kind of creative..... they start w 1)welcome song 2)blowing ex 3)image play 4)esp games 5)flashcards 6)eye training 7)memory games 8)speed reading 9)foreign language 10)left brain activities for babies classes which may be inputting colours shapes sizes alphabets numbers etc etc....... babies class is more of inputting stage........ cos the instructors always says input input just input ..... the good thing abt gog to shichida for me is that i learn from the games played in class and is more creative in introducing things to my kids.... so if u are a creative parent and knows how to go abt the prog then u can put ur girl in the prog at a later stage...... u are so lucky to have read the bk when u are pregnant.... i was put off by the gd bks title at first...really find it a pity.... bought the gd reading kit when i gave birth to my 2nd one and just intend to use it as part of the shichida prog cards as i really dun have time to prepare the materials..... but was really amazed when my older kid started to show that she could read and thus i began the gd cum shichida mtd on my 2nd one..... the two mtds are actually quite diff in a way thou both uses flashcards..... anyway flashcards seems v popular nowadays..... but both mtds are not just abt flashcards oni...... but just to share my personal experience once u start on this "in a way" u have to stick w it.. cos u see ur child's output and u have to go on.. it can be quite tiring at times as a child's hunger for knowledge is great and u have to change the materials v regularly or when ur child knows them..... but it is really rewarding when they give u surprises.... i dont really test my kids but they surprise me sometimes..... and w the gd mtd it seems easier to see the output then the shichida mtd for my two kids..... this is just my personal experience hope it helps......

Hi. I have read so much about the Shichida method. I went for their public seminar yesterday. the principal was quite yaya. The video that they show was really scary. Will my son be able to do that if I put in the effort and he attend the course???
How about other right brain training center? Are there only SM in singapore? Anyone heard of ECC Right Brain IQ learning program? Can anyone give me more details on that? Preferably those attended before? How is it different compared to SM then??? Thank you for all your valuable feedback.

Hi mommies,

Am glad to find this thread. Other threads on SM and GD are too long ago and dead already. Nobody is updating them. Thanks to Chanshane for sharing so much abt SM and GD - it's really useful info for me.

My baby girl is due in Mar and I'm just finding out as much as I can abt SM and GD. My SIL has a set of GD reading flash cards and I'll be starting to use that when my girl is born. I also intend to send her to SM classes when she's abt 9 or 12 mths - depending on when we feel she's able to have a slightly longer attention span. We are also in a dilemma on whether how young is too young to send her there.

The more I read, the more I discover there are home classes run by private teachers at homes which are at a much cheaper rate. I am wondering if there is any difference between these and the actual SM classes. Any feedback on this?

Hi fei fei,
Wow... you are very well versed in the different education methods in kids. How's your home-based classes conducted? How long and how many students in a class?
You mentioned that you have a few students from shichida's class. Can share if the parents of those students do home practice at home regularly?

chanshane,
Thank you for your sharing
happy.gif
I am practicing GD method at the moment and will be going to Shichida class next term. Can share with me how did you incorporate both methods?

arielle,
I am more of a KS mommy after reading up books by Shichida and Glen Doman. The younger, the better is what both Shichida and Glen Doman always state in their books.

Gladys,
If your son just attend the course, dun think he will be able to do what was shown. Lots of home practice are needed. On top of that, lots of love from the mother are needed. "Love" and "patience" are the keywords to the success of both GD and Shichida method. In shichida method, a positive environment is needed too. There are lots more to the Shichida method, and the parents usually will need to have some change in mentality
happy.gif

Baby Girl,
I started GD program at week 2. I bought several sets of GD cards. It really takes lots of time and efforts to prepare the flashcards sessions. It will be worse if I have to prepare the cards myself. When I was pregnant, I also had a hard time searching for the differences between these two programs. Someone recommended the book "How smart is your baby" to me. I am glad that I bought this book
happy.gif
You will need to read it before baby is born, so that you can start right from birth
happy.gif
My boy is coming to 7 months, and he has been crawling for a few weeks already
happy.gif
I did not follow the tips daily, else baby will be able to crawl at 3 months.

I really kudos to those mommies who can do the exercises and flashcards daily. Not easy...

Wish you good luck
happy.gif

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for the tips. The GD How to teach your child to read flashcards from my SIL is from stage 1 to stage 4. I intend to start with those. The stage 1 cards are the black and white contrast pictures to use for newborns. Thing is my SIL has misplaced the instruction booklet. Do u know if I can simply buy the instruction booklet that teaches how to flash the cards properly? I mean, when I flash, what do I say to the baby? Do I tell her it's a tree, a car etc as the picture says or what? And how many cars per day and how long for each card etc.. A lot of questions.. I will lookout for the book "How smart is your baby" as well.

Hi Lyn and chansdane,
Thanks for sharing so much! After reading what you have posted, i think I will put her in the class when she is about 9mths or 1 yr as I am worried about her attention span. During the class, do you see any kid walking away or show signs of dis-interest?or wailing?

I have yet to start off the GD cards at home, only started the visual stimulation cards as I read we have to continue with the programme once we start it. I am scared halfway, I stopped then no good liao
sad.gif

Hi
I am interested in the shichida method, but would like to read up on it 1st. Any book to recommend as 1st reading. My mandarin is not too good so I dun really wish to struggle through the book only to find that its not wat i wanna know. Any english translation? TIA

Hi cupcake,

You can attend one of the review sessions they hold. My hubby and I went for one in early Dec. Then my BIl and his wife went last weekend. So I think they have it quite often. You can call them at 62209555 to find out when they organise the next one.

arielle,

re: kids walking away or showing signs of dis-interest or wailing away

definitely yes!
happy.gif
When my boy attended the class last term, he was 1 year plus. Most kids take turns to be cranky or wail.. some walk to the window, explore other stuff in the classroom... look away during flashcards ... i guess its natural for their age
happy.gif

cupcake,

There is a book called Mystery of the Right Brain by Prof Shichida in English... maybe u can get hold of it and read for a starter?

though my son attended the SM class, i never attended the preview class before... heard its more selling/marketing.

baby girl,
The "how smart is your baby" book will have the details how to flash the black and white cards. I follow that book for black and white. There are 21 cards. First week, show first 7 cards. One card each day for 7 days, 10 times a day, or many times as you can achieve. Cos not easy to achieve 10 times I feel... You gotta say out loud and clear too. That's for auditory stimulation.

arielle,
I haven't started the class. Will be starting in next week. My friends told me there are kids who walk around the class. The mother will have to "chase" around the class to show the kid what the teacher is showing... It's kinda normal for kids who just started to walk.
hmm... I am guilty of not very consistent with the program now :p I think my son is pretty fast. But it's very "siong" for me. I change 2 cards per set per day, he will still get bored...

cupcake,
Hello....
happy.gif
There's a book in english on the shichida method. I dun find it a good book. Rather boring to me and not what I wanna find out. If you want, I can lend it to you
happy.gif

Oh.. the book I have is "Mystery of the right brain"
happy.gif

Poohy,
I attended the preview once, but only halfway. I was surprised there are quite a lot of people for the preview.

Since I have finished all the maths with Aloysius, do you think he will be bored at the shichida class? I think I have asked the wrong person at the reception last week, who's not very interested in answering me. I was told that it will be revision, but I dun think Aloysius will take it as revision, rite?

lyn,

at least in my boy's class last term, they do too much maths program... I thought the 65days maths program is more for us to do at home with our kids
happy.gif
So Aloysius wont be bored if u r refering to them flashing maths cards... not much of those... mainly picture
happy.gif
And flashcards is just one section.... many other activities especially on matching.

poohy,
I see... Thank you
happy.gif
My hubby is very tempted to sign up for one year and get back the parents' class cost... lol...
I have the 65 days program. I personally prefer the GD maths program...
happy.gif

lyn,

can sign up term after term... just decide as u go lor. For me, I also intend to send Samuel to at least 3 more terms ... I also evaluate his receptivity after each term... Since most of the work are done by home practises myself at home, more important is for me to go and know what age appropriate stuff I should do next
happy.gif

I din do 65 days maths program with both J & S... they are mainly on GD method for maths too.

Hi lyn and poohy,

Thanks lyn. I will go get the How smart is your baby book. I also intend to send my girl for at least 1 yr - since they say you'll see the results after 1 yr. Plus we also want to get back the parents class cost. Hehehe..

A few questions to ask you. If you stop the SM classes, will you send your children to those pte ones condicted at home? What's your opinions of those classes?

Baby Girl,

I attended one trial class at one of the pte class conducted opposite my block. The class format is really very very close to what is being held at SM
happy.gif
But I do find the cost a bit high for a home setting leh... $100 a month considering no rental etc.

Hi mummies
can I chk, the number of classes per week? I cant remember even though I attended their talk...think I am the one who needs to go for classes for photographic memory. hehehehe

Hi poohy and lyn,
How many cards did you start off with your abbies and at what age? how many times do you flash per day? Do we just flash and say the word and move on very fast? babies at such young age like mine about 4-5mths plus absorb?

if our kids wail and walk away from the class, won't it cos disturbance to others? are the other parents ok with that?

arielle,

i started my son at 2.5 months old for GD english cards .. and slowly introduce maths, chinese etc. My girl started at week 1 with visual stimulation and week 4 with actual flashing cards. Before that, I let her see the big black dots maths cards I do for a while before removing... I only flash 1 time a day when I go back to work... Yup, just flash and say the word and move on quickly. Read the book How to teach your baby to read first few chapters to understand the principle behind flashing of cards...
happy.gif
Its more important than the technicalities of card flashing
happy.gif

hmm if the child walk away its ok. If the child wails, then of course it will disturb others
happy.gif
So mostly parents will bring the child out .... one thing I dun really like abt the SM class my boy attended was.... it was kinda stressed... naturally since the lesson were so expensive, the parents were v unhappy if any child so as to make some slightly louder sounds or actions which they deemed as potentially able to distract their children. Hmm... hard to describe it but ... its quite stressful. I feel that as parents we should have a relaxed attitude and dun be too uptight just because the lesson is very exp. The stressed and kiasu attitude discourage learning in the first place and is unhealthy. Its inevitable for young toddlers to wanna make some noise and roam around, and dun cooperate at times.
happy.gif

cupcake,

SM is once a week, no make up lesson if child is sick or gotta be absent for whatever reason. My boy was absent due to sickness and my bb hospitalisation for 3 times last term. No make up but if u like, parent can attend alone without the child.
happy.gif

Hi lyn,

I got the book How smart is your baby from Kinokunia today. But I haven't started reading it. Have bbeen walking around quite a lot and didn't even take a nap today. going back to work tom..

Hi poohy,
I understand from the GD books that we are supposed to flash 3 times aday and like about 5 cards each time? How many cards do you flash at the 1 time after your work? will it achieve the same effect?

That's what I am afraid of. That when our child wails, other parents would not be so understanding
sad.gif

hi Lyn,
how many times do you flash at your baby and how many cards? do you stop like 1 or 2 weeks without flashing? how does your baby take to that?

Hi mummies
thanks for all replies, I went for the preview months ago but din sign up as I was still struggling to regulate my gal's napping time then. I will chk out the classes again.

Lyn
Thanks for offering to lend me the book. May I know where u reside. If convenient I might juz take u up on ur offer. Which class will aloysious be attending?

Hello gals...
I think I gonna be addicted here already. Today whole day cannot get into internet, so sad...

baby girl,
hmm... should not have the mentality that wanna see results for better results
happy.gif

I have never thought of those private ones, unless I can see the private ones are even better in quality
happy.gif
I try to go for the best only.

cupcake,
Once a week.. hahaha... I bought a book to train my own photographic memory... lol... cos after giving birth, I can really feel my memory loss.

arielle,
I started at 8 weeks. Just like poohy. I started with english cards, then maths, then chinese. Assume baby can absorb
happy.gif
And believe that he will...
happy.gif
I also agree with poohy that one should read up the first few chapters and the last chapter for a more successful flashcards program.

When I started, 5 eng card, 3 sessions a day. Then I add 5 maths dots back to back, 3 times a day. Then add 5 chinese back to back, 3 times a day. Now, I dun follow that already, cos my boy see the cards about 2 times, he will not wanna see already. I change cards very fast now. 10 cards every 2 - 3 days for Eng, another 10 for chinese.

poohy,
I also agree with you
happy.gif
Gotta be more relaxed and not so uptight cos of the cost. It will affect baby's attitude and reaction to others next time too. You have a very good attitude and mentality
happy.gif
hee... I really gotta learn from you too
happy.gif
It's not easy in a stressful environment...

baby girl,
It's good to have exercise
happy.gif
Good for you and your baby
happy.gif

cupcake,
I am at YCK. What about you?

Hi Lyn,

I still haven't started the book. But my hubby has. Told him that if I continue working, will prob knowck off at 8. By the time I reach home, will be too exhausted to flash cards at baby, so most prob he has to be the one doing it. Hehehe... Think both parents shd do it whenever they can, is it?

The GD cards, there is stage 1 to 4 right? How does one progress from one stage to the next? Any specific time to complete each stage? Anyone knows where I can get the math and chinese cards cos I only have the b&w visual and english cards.

Hi Lyn,
Actually the core of the prog in shichida is imaging whereas in gd it seems to my understanding learn knowledge reading etc...... so as u get to know both mtds more u find that they are really diff...... i try to the shichida home pratice everyday..... but i follow gd's concept of changing the cards and its idea of making cards...... if u go to shichida class u will find that their flashcards is kind of diff........ i do a mixture of both but try to flash gd's kind of cards first...... i dun follow gd's strict rule of how many number of card per time per day but if my kids ask for more during the day i show them a few per time... but home practice is a must every morning unless circumstances dun allow... i try to follow the child's cues for how many cards to show...... i also try to stick gd word card ard the house for my child to relate the word to the item..... when my boy is still a baby i try to stick three items with words on the wall just above my baby's cot so that he have something to see when he wakes up and is less cranky......

Hi baby girl,

I started the shichida and gd mtd with my younger boy a few days after he was born thou not the full prog but part of it....... actually it seems that u can practise the shichida mtd while pregnant and it seems that baby in mummy's tummy can image well...... which i am not too sure as i went to classes with my elder girl while carrying my boy and acc to the instructor my boy would have benefitted greatly.......

really agree with poohy with regards to the tension in class as parents feel that the course fees are really ex and afraid that their child will lose out if they take them out of the class......... my girl has her ups and downs for concentration since she started..... but i personally feel that it is impt to bring the child out if he/she is disturbing the others....... u can try the 5 mins suggestion too..... i feel that gog to shichida the parent also learn alot and can improve on their home practice...... i am not too sure whether the other mtds are good as i havent tried them..... both me and hubby just feel that this mtd is good and we can see "results" so we just continue with it...... as we are not too sure whether a change for the child now would be good.........

Hi Chanshane,
Yah. Shichida offers a ante-natal class. My hubby wants me to attend, but I didn't go. It's too late now.
How do you maintaint the cards if you let the child get access to it easily? Won't they tear up the cards?

i always tell them that the cards are mummy's hard work and i dont really let then play with it..... they can touch and handle the card but not play with it and mess ard..... or if u are still worried u can get them laminated..... i only laminate those cards which would be used as homemade books..... to date my kids have only torn one card which they fought for when i am not ard..... however when u let kids handle the cards u must be prepared they will not be in perfect condition but well used condition...... how old is ur girl btw??? mine is 2+ and 1............

chanshane,
yalor.. gotta be flexible with the program
happy.gif
Roughly how many cards do you flash in one session?
Yes, babies in the tummy can image well in the shichida program
happy.gif
It's some kind of "tai jiao". I read Shichida's books in "tai jiao", but I did not follow everything :p Too many things to do already...
Do you see a difference in your first and your second gal?

babygirl,
You should read GD book on "how to teach your baby to read".
hmm... If you really wanna attend the ante-natal class, it's never too late
happy.gif
When I was pregnant, I did not know it's available in singapore. I even had the idea of flying to Tokyo to attend.. lol...

Lyn, I'm now reading How Smart Is your Baby mah.. When I finish, then I'll go buy the other book.. What abt How to teach your baby math? Is it good oso?

hi lyn,
i din really count how many cards i flash..... maybe i'll check then let u know but think it is more than the number flash in class..... but my elder girl can concentrate for less than my younger one..... i ask the instructor and she said that it is true that younger babies can concentrate for more cards...... i noticed a big diff in my two kids..... esp since i use the gd mtd "how to teach ur child to be physically superb" with my 2nd child really recommend that book but if u got the how smart is ur baby some part is already included...... but really think it makes a big diff..... and think it is true that it affects speech too as my younger one speaks earlier and can say more words...... as for other areas i am not too sure whether it is becos the 2nd child is expose to more things and learn from my elder girl but really can tell the diff......
hi babygirl
so u getting stuff ready for ur baby maybe u can download files from childbrain or sgparenting..... and print them.... i am not too sure abt bulk print as i usu try to make cards on topics my kids like....... but u can try to take pics of stuff at home and print or paste them on cards.... think the baby will be able to relate to them more...... good luck.... u are so lucky to learn abt the mtd before the birth of ur child.... i learnt abt it when my girl is 9mths and gd when she is 18mths..... before that i was really put off by the title "how to teach ur baby ......" i actually bought the gd cards to incorporate into my shichida prog before reading the book.... then i realise that content of the book is not what i thought..........

Chanshane, abt the crawling slide mentioned in the book "How smart is your baby" - what did u do? Did u get the slide? If not, where is a good place for baby to crawl on their tummy?

Back