Private Gynae in KKH

AmberChong

Hi all, I'm 26 weeks now and i am hoping to deliver in KKH.
I have requested to see Prof John Tee but he has declined my request. Who is your gynae in KKH, do you have any recommendation? Can you please share your experience with me?

Hi mummy,

My gynae who delivered my LO last nov is Dr Tan Kai Lit.

I was previously seeing my gynae from TMC who delivered my no.1 & 2. Due to some condition that my LO had which was discovered during the detailed scan, I discharged myself from TMC at about 25 weeks & requested to see one of my friend's gynae at KKH (we went KKH because of the facilities, cost & our past experience there). Instead I was referred to Dr Tan by the hospital. Was earlier quite skeptical as we could not find any review about Dr Tan. But to my surprise, on my 1st visit to see him, both hub & I find him very patient, kind & assuring. He also shared with us a personal experience on what our LO is diagnosed with. On top of our faith, it was his expertise that assured us that all will be well.

Hope this helps. Take care!

Hi,

Are you private patient rate ? Mind to share the cost to me ? ( breakdown cost of hospitalization, doctor delivery fees, mummies , baby fees.. etc )
Now, I am in 25weeks thinking want to switch from TMC to KKH due to budget but myself quite skeptical as do not know which doctor go to ?

Thanks.

Hi,

Are you private patient rate ? Mind to share the cost to me ? ( breakdown cost of hospitalization, doctor delivery fees, mummies , baby fees.. etc )
Now, I am in 25weeks thinking want to switch from TMC to KKH due to budget but myself quite skeptical as do not know which doctor go to ?

Thanks.

Hi hi,

We paid abt $3.4k cash (includes the upfront payment) for my c-section, 4 days 3 nights stay in B1 ward & my baby stayed additional 2 days due to jaundice.

Hi,

Thanks.

A private patient in KKH typically pay not very significantly from a patient in TMC, base on the same ward type. If you have time, do go to MOH website to have a look on the pricing statistic they complied, pretty comprehensive & updated too.

Agree with aaa111. If you are a private patient at KKH, you need to go for at least B1 ward. The only good thg for govt hospital is in the event (*touchwood*) you/baby has complication, you can downgrade (but prob your gynae will not follow thru) cos baby ward charges is tagged to mother's class of ward. Eg if you are staying in A class ward, your baby ward charges will be based on A class. The better the class, the higher the cost. Normally, the staff there will advise you which class to choose based on your situation. That is, eg they sense that you may hv pre-mature delivery (chances are your baby may need to warded), they will ask you to consider going for lower class so that it would not create financial burden on you. If you go for private hospital, in the event (*touchwood*) anythg happens, you may not be able to chg to govt hospital that easily. In KKH, they put up a sign to inform all customers that KKH patients have the priority over the rest. I have friends who opt for private hospital & when their babies need to be hospitalised for further checks, they paid tens of thousands for the stay & they are unable to chg to KKH (not sure is no vacancy or price won't defer much since they are fr private hospital).

Agree with aaa111. If you are a private patient at KKH, you need to go for at least B1 ward. The only good thg for govt hospital is in the event (*touchwood*) you/baby has complication, you can downgrade (but prob your gynae will not follow thru) cos baby ward charges is tagged to mother's class of ward. Eg if you are staying in A class ward, your baby ward charges will be based on A class. The better the class, the higher the cost. Normally, the staff there will advise you which class to choose based on your situation. That is, eg they sense that you may hv pre-mature delivery (chances are your baby may need to warded), they will ask you to consider going for lower class so that it would not create financial burden on you. If you go for private hospital, in the event (*touchwood*) anythg happens, you may not be able to chg to govt hospital that easily. In KKH, they put up a sign to inform all customers that KKH patients have the priority over the rest. I have friends who opt for private hospital & when their babies need to be hospitalised for further checks, they paid tens of thousands for the stay & they are unable to chg to KKH (not sure is no vacancy or price won't defer much since they are fr private hospital).

hi trinity4ever

so i cannot downgrade after my discharge? if the babies follow me under A ward but upon my discharge can they be downgraded?

Thanks

hi trinity4ever

so i cannot downgrade after my discharge? if the babies follow me under A ward but upon my discharge can they be downgraded?

Thanks

Fr my understanding, your baby cannot be downgraded even if you discharge. The moment you choose X class, your baby stays with that class all the way fr delivery to discharge. Hence, it is impt to think carefully which class you want to choose once you are abt to delivery. Fr the time you are wheeled to your delivery room, the charges (for mummy & baby) will tag to the class that you choose.

Fr my understanding, your baby cannot be downgraded even if you discharge. The moment you choose X class, your baby stays with that class all the way fr delivery to discharge. Hence, it is impt to think carefully which class you want to choose once you are abt to delivery. Fr the time you are wheeled to your delivery room, the charges (for mummy & baby) will tag to the class that you choose.

wah then really must make a very informed decision before delivery.
By then the doc or nurse will advise you right?
Im definitely want A class but if touchwood premature or something, im sure the nurses there will advise on the costs and suggest the class accordingly.
nciu costs very scary leh

Actually if you are willing to pay for private rates at private hospital, seriously, KKH is a good choice, because the technology and facilities are all there.

You know that for other hospitals, if they cannot handle your or your kid's case, they will ultimately refer you to KKH and KKH will bill to the private hospital, which in turn bill you together with their admin fee?

We were under Dr June Tan. Waiting time was a real test of patience since she is very popular so each visit saw us waiting at least 1.5hrs, often 2+hrs in the comfortable waiting area. I honestly do not have a good grasp of the total cost for regular consultations and scans, and the actual delivery process itself.

Yes we were told that it is not possible for the kid to be switched from private to subsidised status once he/she is born. There's really no point for the baby to be tagged as a private patient since he/she would be sleeping in the same plastic cot that all babies are housed in regardless of status.

However it is possible for the mom to switch from private patient status to subsidised status right before delivery although there is a good chance the consultant himself/herself would not be the one delivering your baby. This is something you can consider if there are anticipated issues with your little one so he/she can be treated as a subsidised patient from the start. Our #1 had jaundice but we got referred from the polyclinic so when we went back to SGH for treatment, we somehow had the option of warding her as a subsidised patient.

In all, I will personally still recommend that mothers consider KKH just for the peace of mind that almost everything you will need to fix mom and baby issues are all there under one roof within relatively easy access. This is of course assuming one does not need things like creature comforts that are available in a private hospital.

In all, I will personally still recommend that mothers consider KKH just for the peace of mind that almost everything you will need to fix mom and baby issues are all there under one roof within relatively easy access. This is of course assuming one does not need things like creature comforts that are available in a private hospital.

Hehehe, actually 1-bedder in KKH is considered quite good (for me). It's like stepping into a hotel room.

Best part, you can choose what you want to eat from the menu, not just Chinese, Western, Indian. You can mix and match :p

Check it out.

I'm under Dr Tan HH @ KKH, so can only choose A1 or B1 right? In my week 33 and still can't confirm which ward. Same thing worry abt if baby premature have to stay NICU then may cost a bomb. I heard some sisters said the nurse will ask whether to downgrade to subsidized if baby have to stay in NICU. Any experience mum to share some info? Appreciate it thx.

We downgraded to subsidised B2* for delivery. To avoid any doubts best is to downgrade at the point of delivery rather than try to downgrade after baby is born. I would imagine that is a real headache.

We downgraded to subsidised B2* for delivery. To avoid any doubts best is to downgrade at the point of delivery rather than try to downgrade after baby is born. I would imagine that is a real headache.
so if downgrade to B2 means won't get the same Dr for delivery as its under subsidized?

I'm under Dr Tan HH @ KKH, so can only choose A1 or B1 right? In my week 33 and still can't confirm which ward. Same thing worry abt if baby premature have to stay NICU then may cost a bomb. I heard some sisters said the nurse will ask whether to downgrade to subsidized if baby have to stay in NICU. Any experience mum to share some info? Appreciate it thx.
Yup, THH, only A1 or B1.

Yup, in the event if the baby has to stay in NICU (regardless premature or some problems), the nurse will throw you the option of downgrading. If she never suggest, you insist you want to downgrade lor.

Just sharing personal experience. During labour when you just cannot push the baby out, your mind is in a whirl and trust me, the midwife is totally useless. She is only there to ask you to keep pushing. The real decision-maker is your doc whom you have been seeing all these while. It's only when you see his face then you will feel secured and confident to follow his instructions. Even the doc in charge over there has to take instructions from your doc.

So if you were to ask me, if financial allows, stick to your doctor throughout. It's the last lap, why risk it for a couple of hundreds?

When you see a different face to help you, the confidence level just dips and if that doctor is an experienced one, good for you. If it's a not-so-experienced one, how?

There could be other costs involved as well especially if there's an early detection of issues with the baby which require extensive follow up in the future.

I would agree if there are no real issues detected upfront, in which case the potential exposure would be just a few hundred dollars' difference between a particular doctor and a random doctor. The real decision would come where one has to juggle the potential exposure in the future for the kids' medical costs versus getting that comfort.

Finances do complicate things a lot.

Just sharing personal experience. During labour when you just cannot push the baby out, your mind is in a whirl and trust me, the midwife is totally useless. She is only there to ask you to keep pushing. The real decision-maker is your doc whom you have been seeing all these while. It's only when you see his face then you will feel secured and confident to follow his instructions. Even the doc in charge over there has to take instructions from your doc.

So if you were to ask me, if financial allows, stick to your doctor throughout. It's the last lap, why risk it for a couple of hundreds?

When you see a different face to help you, the confidence level just dips and if that doctor is an experienced one, good for you. If it's a not-so-experienced one, how?
Appreciate your sharing, sort of getting clearer direction now. Thanks~

hi all, need some advice... Dr THH scheduled csect for me next Tues but I was informed 2 days ago he won't be in & referred me to Dr Edwin Thia. Any of you deliver under Dr Edwin before? I'm wondering whether I shld downgrade to subsidy ward since not Dr THH who csect for me.

hi all, need some advice... Dr THH scheduled csect for me next Tues but I was informed 2 days ago he won't be in & referred me to Dr Edwin Thia. Any of you deliver under Dr Edwin before? I'm wondering whether I shld downgrade to subsidy ward since not Dr THH who csect for me.
Ya, if it's not your usual doc, then it's a good idea to downgrade.

Not much info about him, but got this from another forum:

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f37/dr-edwin-thia-kandang-kerbau-hospital-34026/

Hello,

Is there any other specific doctor in KKH that you like to do the C Section for you. If not, you can consider to downgrade to subisdy patient, also note that subsidy patient cannot opt for class A ward, in another words, if you want your hubby to overnight with you by your side for the few days that you will be hospitalised, then you will have no choice but to stay as a private patient.

all the best

Hello,

Is there any other specific doctor in KKH that you like to do the C Section for you. If not, you can consider to downgrade to subisdy patient, also note that subsidy patient cannot opt for class A ward, in another words, if you want your hubby to overnight with you by your side for the few days that you will be hospitalised, then you will have no choice but to stay as a private patient.

all the best
Actually hor, with your hubby staying beside you is really a huge comfort especially when hormones are in a mess.

Actually hor, with your hubby staying beside you is really a huge comfort especially when hormones are in a mess.

Yup agree totally, but the cost saving as a subsidy patient is quite significant too. Guess individual couple will need to weight the pros and cons and then make an informed decision.

Yup agree totally, but the cost saving as a subsidy patient is quite significant too. Guess individual couple will need to weight the pros and cons and then make an informed decision.
True also...if can, go Ward 82, I quite like everything about there :p

what about yourself? going for Private Suite or subsidized?

Me going for private suite and will be going for A ward, hopefully got A ward available when i deliver in early aug.

Me going for private suite and will be going for A ward, hopefully got A ward available when i deliver in early aug.
wahhh...there will be lack of rooms meh? don't frighten me ley..
maybe should start telling people not to go to A Ward so that there will be enough rooms for us :p :p :p

maybe should start telling people not to go to A Ward so that there will be enough rooms for us :p :p :p

Hello, cannot like that lar, we are all friendly ppl. hee hee. The price difference between A ward and B1 ward as a private patient is quite different le. The MOH website got show real statistic quite clearly. So best is for individual to decide what is the best option for themselves. I am sure it will work out sui sui for you and me de.

yup. I heard before, i am not kidding de. The only hospital confirm have A ward is MT E novena, the reason is beco they only got A ward only.

Oh ya, according to my friends, they say the "Out of A ward" situation typically happen on those HOT date, such as new year day, 08082016, national day etc.

Hi Josephine, noted. so for B1 Ward there will be 4 mummies with 4 babies rooming in? Thx for sharing

Actually it really depend whether is high season or not and also the mummy in the same ward as you want their bb to bunk in with them or not. 4 mummy with their respective bbs is the maximum number you can expect. You should also expect plenty of visitors to pop in and out of your ward too.

i gv birth last Oct in KKH, csect by doctor Edwin Thia. I was referred to dr Edwin by Dr Ben Tham of TMC when i was about 32weeks preggy. Reason why is bcoz dr ben suspected my baby has IUGR but he couldnt confirm. So i started to visit both KKH & TMC weekly until week 36 and i decided to give birth in KKH under private patient and i took up ward A1.

Initially i felt quite reluctant to change gynea especially i already 32weeks preggy. But dr ben worried that baby will be delivered small and required NICU and that could cost us a bomb in TMC. Thus he suggested to me to go n see his fren Dr Edwin for 2nd opinion. I am glad that dr ben help to arrange everything for me to transfer to KKH. Dr edwin is a great gynea, caring and he would tried to answer to our doubts and ensure i am well taken care of. My c-sect heals well, i can walk and move around normally after 2weeks :)

Love the atmosphere in ward 81, the nurses are excellent and spacious ward too!

in total, i top up cash for S$2.7K for 4D3N stay. Baby bill is S$16.70 after medisave :)

agree with @mommymaomao .. i went with my foreign fren when she did her antenatal checkup in SG with Dr Edwin Thia before she went back her country to deliver. he was introduced by another fren of ours. very caring and always there to answer the list of qns my fren will prepare (oops). i was there to help to translate as my fren couldn't speak very good english.

Hi Mummies, is A ward really necessary? And anyone under the care of Dr Freda Khoo?

sherlin, i guess it depends on individual needs. For me i prefer privacy and my family and friends can visit me. furthermore, not much difference on the amount of $$ to pay between A1 & B1..*im a S'pore PR*. Not sure what is the price difference for citizen. :)

dear mummies, may i ask actually, what are the differences in prices going to KKH private and TMC?

i heard from my friends KKH is more expensive if no subsidy than TMC?

dear mummies, may i ask actually, what are the differences in prices going to KKH private and TMC?

i heard from my friends KKH is more expensive if no subsidy than TMC?

let compare apple to apple, KKH private Suite vs TMC. For my experience, i was refer from TMC to KKH due to complication. My delivery fees (csect) was 50% cheaper than my fren who gv birth in TMC. both of us went through scheduled csect and stayed in single room for 4days 3 nights..

so have to see why other ppl is more exp eventhough gv birth in KKH, could be due to non-citizen charges, emergency cases, complication & etc.

TMC got many different gynea which they also charge differently...

i can only said with subsidies in KKH definitely cheaper but without subisdies not necessary more expensive. :)

let compare apple to apple, KKH private Suite vs TMC. For my experience, i was refer from TMC to KKH due to complication. My delivery fees (csect) was 50% cheaper than my fren who gv birth in TMC. both of us went through scheduled csect and stayed in single room for 4days 3 nights..

so have to see why other ppl is more exp eventhough gv birth in KKH, could be due to non-citizen charges, emergency cases, complication & etc.

TMC got many different gynea which they also charge differently...

i can only said with subsidies in KKH definitely cheaper but without subisdies not necessary more expensive. :)

correct me if im wrong.

my colleague did a alittle research about this and she found out that:
eg; u are having vaginal delivery half way and you need an emergency c-sec.

KKH will only charge c-sec, butTMC will charge both labour ward cost & OT usage for c-sec.

correct me if im wrong.

my colleague did a alittle research about this and she found out that:
eg; u are having vaginal delivery half way and you need an emergency c-sec.

KKH will only charge c-sec, butTMC will charge both labour ward cost & OT usage for c-sec.

i am not sure if KKH does that, best is to call KKH to ask. Base on my research, the cost is very subjective, can be difference due to many reason.
when i book for admission, i was quoted S$5K plus b4 medisave, but in the end i got a 50% refund from KKH. Comparing with a SPR mummy, the cost i paid oso different from hers. Cost mentioned here is solely for mommy only, have not include baby cost yet. i only top up S$17 for baby's bill.

thank you mummies. i was told being a private patient in KKH is no different from TMC.

i think there IS a difference after all. KKH private will be cheaper somehow.

things are so complicated now..

Back