PRIMARY ONE ADMISSION FOR YEAR 2006 CHILDREN

csk

Quite worried of the education for my child. Giving birth is easy than bringing up the child.

I am a working mom, can't possibly always apply leave to do PV but for the future of my child, I have to sacrifice and by then, it depends on the employer's understanding..... Haiz.... Singapore working mothers.... really pitiful...

It's too early to do PV. Eg. Registration is in Jul/Aug 2010. You should start volunteering in Jul 2009. Depending on schools, PV doesn't 100% guarantee a space.
Which school are you considering?

Hi, my boy born in Yr 2006 too. Havn't thought of which school for him yet. Hope to join this thread to share ideas. By the way, any mom here knows when is the right time for us to register for PV?

tks, doris

Hi, my elder daughter born in 2004 has a confirm placing in Primary school (2011) 'cause my hubby is alumni. Currently, there's already 60 people doing volunteering now in this school for their kids' 2011 admission. However,there's only 50 placings.

doris, my experienced colleague gave me this timeline for 2006 kids...

register for P1 - mid 2012
PV - usually do from mid 2011 - mid 2012 (ie, the yr before registration)
request for PV - 1 yr before PV starts, ie, mid 2010. But I have heard of cases where request for PV is > 1 yr before PV starts.

Not sure this info is 100% correct but hope it helps.

Hi Bloom, Elaine

Tks for the info. I'd better start planning soon.

Stay in touch!

happy.gif

Wow.. Hi mummies..

Im glad im not the only concern mummy..

Was talking abt this to my hubby and he tgt that there's still a long way to go.

Any mummies can share wht type of volunteering work? or how about to approach the school?

Hi Crib,

I guess you can call the school up. Some schools will ask you to email them on what are the type of volunteer work you can offer. Other schools may ask you to go down and fill up a form. If they need you, they will call you and you will have to go for an interview.

Oh Crib also note that the popular schools may only accept those parents whose child are currently studying in the school. Hope the info hopes.

Great to know that you mummies here are also planning for P1 admission. My boy born in 06. Recently we are planning to shift to the area which is withtin 1km from the school which we are interested to place our son in.

As for the PV, I'm also interested but not sure how to go abt it.

Hi Serene

My boy also born in 06. May I know which school do you have in mind for your boy? As for us, we have not decided yet.

happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

summercove is right, I called the school and they requested me to fill up a vol form and state what are the "servies" that I can render.

Still waiting for the school reply though.

I'm staying in Yew Tee, plan to register him in Yew Tee or St. Anthony, if we choose to stay put in this area. St. Anthony will be easier for us as my hubby is from this Pri but its further away from our place.

At first we did consider to move to clementi and put him in Nan Hua. I heard they stream the students in P3 and P4 and reshuffle them in P5 and P6 according to their best result. This sound so stressful loh.....

Hi Serene

Tks for sharing. Currently there are no schools within 1km from where I stay.......and my hubby's primary school closed down......so i have to think real hard........

Hi mummies,
i have a boy born in Fen 2006 as well. For me i am looking at the school within 1km. But the one that i looking at is so hot lei. Every yr ballot for those within 1km. As for PV i did consider b4 but the PV need ballot for 1km last yr. So it end up i wonder it a waste of time to do PV. Now either just try my luck under Phase 2C or just change to another school loh. THere are 3 school wthin 1km at my area.

Hi Crib,

Why not try calling another school? At least (*touchwood) if the 1st choice of school don't need you, you still got a 2nd choice? Nowadays schools are getting smarter!! They used to tell you what they need and parents tend to "declare" in the forms that they can do it but in the end -can't do the "job" well.

<font face="tahoma"> wow jappooh, so good leh, 3 schools within 1km... my side doesnt have leh... so gotta apply PV. me submitted my application in Yr08 hor... but the schools in-charge said me too early liao... wait till my girl in K1. but me still call every 6M to follow up lor... Also get my dh to be hokkien HK member... so stressed</font>

<font face="tahoma"> if we dont do PV or be Hokkien HK member, sure cant get in in P2C lor... in the school history, even 2B gotta ballot for 1-2km leh, if me rem correctly... pressure</font>

Hi Serene,

Some schools even stream the kids in P1.

Hi Doris,

You may want to find out about your husband's school. Some schools never close down, they merged a few schools into one. If that happens, you may still take his old school report book and register your child

Hi summercove

Thanks. I'll call MOE to find out. But with regards to the old primary school report book, I will be real surprised if my hubby still has it.... I dont' recall seeing it in our belongings. I'll ask him later....if it is still there, it should be fun looking at it. hahaha!

dorisphang,
If your hb can't find his primary sch report book, you can get from MOE, just pay $10 (I think).

Former ex students are placed in Phase 2A2.

For those primary schs which are closed down or merged with another primary schs, you mummies can do a search online. If unsure, call MOE to check which sch they merged to. My pri sch also closed down and merged with another pri sch.

Hi summercove, Jen

Thanks for the advice but no luck. We've checked and his school was really closed down and not merged with any other.

Guess it's back to PV or move........most probably PV as moving would be a big hussle...

happy.gif

Leereiner,

yes there are 3 school within 1km but 1 of it is so popular loh. All 3 need to take school bus the nearest is 1 bustop away.

My hubby not so keen in doing PV cos is not guarantee loh. For both our former pri school we are not looking at it even it has been mergered or not cos it not near to our current hse.

I understand that to do PV, we need to be interview by school. Can anyone tell me how is the interview like? Also what are the list of things to do for PV? I have heard that there are activities like helping kids cross road to go school / go back home (not feasible PV for working mothers), bring kids outing, read to kids. What else?

Hi mommies,

actually stumble here fr a complain thread ;p.. Some peeps too free

Anyways, my daughter was born 2006. School is currently being built right infront our blk. I still worry, mix feelings, choices after choices - tough just thinking of which school to go. Gone where the days you just go with the flow, long sleepless nights till daughter is finally registered to a primary school.

Thank you to mommies for sharing ;). Hope to learn more as we relocated and totally lost on what goes in local schools.

Night!

Hi all, is this thread still active?
happy.gif

I am thinking of these schools:
Henry Park
Pei Hwa
CHIJ (Bt Timah)
Bukit Panj

Anyone has inputs?

Hi all,

I also hv a 2006 child. I intend to send my child to my Pri School, which is under Hokkien Huay Kwan.

Any mommy knows if just being an alumni is enough in securing a place in P1? Was thinking if I should be more KS to register as a Hokkien HK member (to get higher chance of securing a place)?

If it is the latter, anyone knows what is the process like for registering as member? I somehow heard that I need the recommendation of 2 existing members? Anyone is a current member, able to recommend me? :p

Pls post here or PM me to discuss. Thanks

Hi smallsweetz,

I don't know if it depend on the school but for us, we have registered as Rosyth's alumni and they said they do not know of any alumni member who failed to get into the school. So I suppose it is "safe" enough?

hi Karen,

thanks for the info for alumni. i called up our neighborhood school to inquire but i still feel placing my daughter to a different school and was wondering about the alumni status.

Hi I am so glad to see this thread.

My gal is also born in 2006. HAve been observing this year trend.

2nd baby,i also live in west.
Henry Park --not sure
Pei Hwa ------even phase 2B needs balloting
CHIJ (Bt Timah)
Bukit Panj ---this year balloting in phase 2B also.

i m looking at nan hua, but apparently they limit the ballot in phase 2b only for those who stay within 2km, crap

For my case no problem, my 1st and 2 daughter from Boon Lay Garden Primary school so i will just send my 3rd to the same school.

Hi Karen,
How early did you register with the alumni? Did you have to do any volunteer service with the alumni? Saw from the rosyth alumni website that have to do active service for 4 yrs.

Hihi,

Wondering if there are mummies staying in tampines and their children studying at Gongshang Pri?
Could you share some advice on Gongshang Primary's standard now - especially in the areas of curriculum and character development?
Also, does the school currently offer Chinese as a Higher Language? And are the teachers good?
Actually thou of St Hilda's Pri, but out of 1KM and misses the PV... Any other good sch in tampines other than these 2?
Appreciate your kind advise.
Thks...

Preparing Your Child for Primary School: A Parent Seminar by MOE

Starting primary school is a big step in your child's life. To help you better understand primary school programmes and enable you to make key education decisions, the Ministry of Education will be conducting a seminar on Primary School Education. At the seminar, parents can look forward to sharing sessions by the school principal and a parent volunteer, as well as view the various programmes our primary schools provide.

The Primary Education System
Mr Chris Loh, Principal, Pei Tong Primary School

The primary school years are focused on giving students a good grasp of English Language, Mother Tongue and Mathematics; as well as helping children build character and cultivate good values and habits. Mr Loh will share with parents an overview of Primary School Education.

Supporting Your Child in Primary School
Mrs Theresa Vijay, Vice-Chairperson, Parent Support Group, Pei Tong Primary School

With the right support from parents and schools, children will be able to adapt well and build a strong foundation for learning. Mrs Vijay will share practical tips on how to prepare your child for primary school so that he or she can have an enjoyable school experience.

Seminar Details - Free Admission
Date : 7 July 2012, Saturday
Time : 9.00 am – 12.30 pm (Registration starts at 8.30 am)
Venue : Pei Tong Primary School
15 Clementi Avenue 5, Singapore 129857

Registration
Please email the following information to [email protected]:
• Name of Attendee(s)
• Contact Number
Tel : 6243 4175
Closing date : 4 July 2012, Wednesday
Seats are limited and on a first-come-first-served basis.

Programme Showcase
Primary schools in the vicinity will be showcasing their schools' niche programmes to give parents a better idea of the programmes our schools offer.

Programme Showcase by Participating Schools
• Clementi Primary School
• Fuhua Primary School
• Jurong Primary School
• New Town Primary School
• Pei Tong Primary School
• Qifa Primary School
• Yuhua Primary School

Preparing Your Child for Primary School: A Parent Seminar by the Ministry of Education (MOE)

Starting primary school is a big step in your child's life. To help you better understand primary school programmes and enable you to make key education decisions, the Ministry of Education will be conducting a seminar on Primary School Education. At the seminar, parents can look forward to sharing sessions by the school principal and a parent volunteer, as well as view the various programmes our primary schools provide.

The Primary Education System by Mrs Angeline Loh, Principal of North Spring Primary School
The primary school years are focused on giving students a good grasp of English Language, Mother Tongue and Mathematics; as well as helping children build character and cultivate good values and habits. Mrs Loh will share with parents an overview of Primary School Education.

Supporting Your Child in Primary School
With the right support from parents and schools, children will be able to adapt well and build a strong foundation for learning. A parent volunteer will share practical tips on how to prepare your child for primary school so that he or she can have an enjoyable school experience.

Seminar Details - Free Admission
Date : 14 July 2012, Saturday
Time : 9.00 am – 12.30 pm (Registration starts at 8.30 am)
Venue : North Spring Primary School
1 Rivervale Street, Singapore 545088

Registration
Please email the following information to [email protected]:
• Name of Attendee(s)
• Contact Number
Tel : 6243 4175
Closing date : 11 July 2012, Wednesday
Seats are limited and on a first-come-first-served basis.

Programme Showcase
Primary schools in the vicinity will be showcasing their schools' niche programmes to give parents a better idea of the programmes our schools offer.

Programme Showcase by Participating Schools
• Anchor Green Primary School
• Fernvale Primary School
• Hougang Primary School
• North Spring Primary School
• North Vista Primary School
• Palm View Primary School
• Sengkang Green Primary School
• Seng Kang Primary School
• Springdale Primary School
• Zhonghua Primary School

How come only neighbourhood schools participating? Tot some big shots in sg said all primary schools are the same but simply dont understand why they only sent their children, grandchildren or even great grandchildren to just SAP schools? Who wouldn't want to send children to branded schools? So many called to bombard 938 then. Anyway, think the teachers there would be more motivated than neighbourhood ones too. Put it simply, if u were to ask where they are teaching? Lets face it, wouldn't a branded school sounds more prestigious? Yet, they dare say all schools the same. I beg to differ. Sure hv some diff! life's so tough in sg!

Back