Pine Close Mummies

Hi Jamie
U were previously pv-ing at kh tight? Do u mind sharing why you decide to give KH a miss? I'm still undecided if should give KH a try when it comes to registration next year as I hear mixed feedbacks. Can email me [email protected] if not convenient to post here.

Hi jamie, i am curious too. Do u mind sharing wih me too pls?

Actually i'm also undecided on kh... Mine is registerig next year thou. For me... I m not sure if my boy is the study type.. Cos he very playful n i have difficulty teahing 5 spelling words even now.... Cant imagine tge loads of hwk in p1 and above.

Hi bbethan & mesh

my gal is a slow learner so i think she will be stressed out in kh thats why decided to give up. i rather she excel in a normal school than struggle to excel in kh.

hmm. it's the stress period for the year again.

Well, last year my son didnt get into KH too thru balloting. Very upset about it as i gave up Pei Chun (hb's ex-student) due to distance. For my 2nd choice, I chose Macpherson Primary School.

Once school started, he never refused school. However, the ratio of Malays there were really too many. Son's class total about 26 kids but only 7 attended Chinese (1 korea, 4 Caucasian). There were only 5 P1 classes in Macpherson and it's AM session.

Hb's ex-school mate is currently a principal of a primary school. He said that Macpherson is actually improving alot with PSLE results. Just that too many malays in the school.

Many kids around our area ended in Geylang Methodist, Tanjong Katong, Haig Gals, Canossa Convent & Macpherson.

I am also thinking whether to do PV at KH or not. If this year, in Phase 2B, still need to ballot within 1km, I think I will not do the PV @ KH. Maybe apply for Geylang Methodist in 2C.

For those who has children borned in 2008, KH PV application is opened from 1 Aug to 31 Oct. The form is available on KH internet. The no. of hrs of PV is 80 hrs!

Thanks for sharing, jamie. so which sch are u looking at now?

Jenn... Looks like its a blessing in disguise for u. kh is good for us only cos of distance... Its the only sch wihin 1 km fr our place.... Sigh... We hv so ltd choice.

Wa yenni .... 80 hrs is too much. I think kh trying to cut down
no. Of p2b? Better go pv at other sch. btw why not pv at gmps?

mesh

actually i plan to try tanjong katong but changed my mind after i went to haig girls open house. so now i may do pv at tanjong katong for my boy (borned in 2008).

Was looking at the no. of applicants for phase 2B & got a shock with the figure! Tis yr is really tough....

Hi Jamie,
Got any sch in mind? Can look at Haig Girls' (my backup plan if failed my balloting last yr) or Cannosa Convent. Very holistic environment.

Hi Jen,
My frd's son was in Macpherson & enjoying his sch life too!

Hi Yen,
KH had greatly reduced the PV no. to 15 for the child born in yr 2007 intake... Tink the intake for yr 2008 child will be nothing more than this.

My son was transferred to Maha Bodhi as the school called us early June that got vacancy. We nearly miss the chance because i didnt answer the call as we were overseas. Son wanted a transfer as he said too many malays and they always speaking their language...

However, been in Macpherson for 5 mths plus, he loved there so much that he refused to go Maha Bodhi when school reopen! Only managed to settle down after 2nd weeks.

He still misses his ex-form teacher and called her once in a while. Macpherson is more carefree compare to Maha Bodhi. I only see homework for Macpherson only once in a mth and Maha Bodhi is like 2 or 3 times a week.

Overall, i think the most important is their form teacher. His communication book in Macpherson always got notes for parents but Maha Bodhi got none. The ex-form teacher is willing to give us her personal mobile no but MB is not. So i think all depends all on their teachers.

mesh,
Yes, 80 hrs for children borned in 2008. Both are working, how to cater for 80 hours of PV?
I also need to standby leave in case my children are sick.

cat_tail,
Yes, its very tough even at 2B. Phase 2B has 40 vacanies & 68 people applying for it. Phase 2B is until end of today. I guess there is a chance of balloting within 1km at Phase 2B. So, probably I will do PV at Geylang Methodist instead but I see how it goes. Lucky for me, both GMPS & KH is within 1km from blk 9.

Jen,
Frd was complaining too many malays too. He was still trying to get him transfer out but will contempt to stay put if he still can't find one when he reached upper pri. At that time, son will be very rooted wif the sch.
Looks like Maha Bodhi & KH teaching environment are quite similar. A lot of homeworks & most imp is the child needs a lot of parental support! The teacher just throw a topic & then parents got to help the child out like eg: show & tell etc. *sigh
I am quite impressed that Macpherson teacher communicated wif parents thru comm bk & even go all the way by giving out his personal mobile! In KH, the only way I get to communicate with the teacher is thru her email & she only replied during working hrs. :z

Yen,
I think KH is asking for 80hrs PV for 2 yrs commitment. It's a long term but no harm giving it a try.

Cat tail
Yes I'm trying my luck at haig girls. Went to their open house, I really like their holistic teaching & environment which suits my gal.

cat_tail, i think son is just lucky to get selected as previously when I waitlisted for Maha Bodhi, i asked for the number of kids waiting. The admin told me my son was on queue 28. There were 5 kids been transferred out once June holiday started.

Jamie, i visited Haig gals last year. Haig gals is very good at art. Think it's a good choice for gals.

Maha Bodhi is a buddism school, but it's not compulsary to take it. If you opt out, you can side behind the class. At least it's optional. I let son to decide himself if he wants or not.

Parents please note that our 1st and 2nd choice are very important during the registration. MOE will post kids to school nearby if we didnt get into our 1st and 2nd choice.

Jamie,
Gd choice. Not to mention the individual outstanding ones but overall their academic performance is better than KH! The gals are also very outspoken. The sch must have groomed them well. If not becos my 2nd one is a boy, I would have put my gal there.
happy.gif

Jen,
U must be very lucky! What happen to the rest infront? Lol

jen
yes i'm very impressed with their art, they even have their own art gallery inside the school! most important my gal loves art thats why i decide to try my luck.

cat tail
i also have another younger boy so initially wanted to put her in tanjong katong but after i been to haig girls i decided to try my luck there. i'm not into academic, just want my gal to enjoy school. so now most likely i will do pv at tanjong katong for my boy.

Cat_tail, did you try asking? My son's teacher gave me hers. I didnt ask though, she just put her number on her reply to my email beginning of term 1. But I did ask if she is ok to receive my sms and she said yes.

Anyway, frankly its not just KH having such assessment that requires parent's involvement. But I must say that today's school system is so much different from our time. We used to play zero point or five stones last time while waiting for assembly time. Now its this silent reading program.

One of my fren's son in neighbourhood school (not hot favorite types), she chose cos she hope her son will not be too stressed out . Ended up compare to most pri 1 students, his son has homework almost every other day. And she gets more busier than she expected. So actually it really depends on the teachers.

Its just unfortunate that KH is the only choice for residents nearby. Who wants to spend time travelling if given a choice?

cat_tail,
Still undecided yet. Anyway, the closing date of application is 31 Oct. So, I still have some time to think over. Of course, KH is within walking distance but for GMPS will have to take MRT or sch bus.

cat_tail,

son got in also thru balloting lor.

Macpherson is one session school.
KH (next year one session), gmps & tkp are all PM session for P1/P2.
MBS also PM session, will go into one session in 2016.
The school buses reaches my area, Blk 28 from KH & gmps abt 6.45pm, tkp abt 6.55pm and MB abt 7.00pm. So it's all about the same..

Jamie,
Haha.. HG must have charmed u! It took a lot of courage to place 2 kids at 2 diff sch. Kudos to
parents.
happy.gif

Ginger,
Din noe we can ask it. We did comm a few times by email but she din leave any no left. NOw I know we can, dun tink will do so. Dun wan teacher to get stress out. :x

On show & tell part: Initially I tot it's a norm for teacher to let parents prep kid's work until I chanced upon my frd whose kid was from a prestigious sch. I asked her how she prep her. Guess wat she said? She said the teacher will go thru with them & present in the class. No parents involvement & everything done in sch! My jaws dropped.
Agreed every teacher is different...

Yen,
Still can submit the form & then decide later. :p

Cat_tail : prestigious school - it means most students there already up to their mark to do on their own. Our kids in KH still very dependent on us. haha

Also I think it also boils down if parents are willing to let go. I know some of my son's friends (spread over different classes) whose parents are bo chap type. So their kids are left to handle their own show & tell. Not just that, some kids come to school without getting ready for spelling, tests etc. If parents don't mind, ok la. If parents worry abt their performance, parents involvement has to be there.

Omg... I was counting on single session when my kid get into p1 in 2014..

Now i need back up plan desperately.

So the only sch with single session in 2014 p1 only kh?
HG pm session?

Mesh - no one likes to see you during primary registration cos you will take up 3 seats in one go...hahaha

Anyone going 2C for KH? I am doing volunteer work on 31/7. Mayb will see some familiar faces
happy.gif

Ginger... U broke my heart la... Haha

I was hoping to do away once they start p1.... But if they pm session... I hv nobody to take care of them in the am la.

Ginger,
Why nowadays pri is not as simple n carefree as our times? I want to faintz... lol
Somehow in teh beginning, I had a hard time adapting pri. It seems like I am going to sch together wif gal.

Understand what u mean by those kids as I was doing reading for the weak ones during my pv times. A lot of them were from broken or single family & their problems are very complicated. Pity the child.

Yen,
Being selected to be a PV is like buying 4D. Buy got hope, no buy no hope at all. Keke....

mesh,
Still got time to manage your kids lah. Some sch got student care or otherwise create yor own student care wif maid help. Haha...

Mesh, whether they are in AM or PM session, they still need someone to help take care.

Can consider student care.

I am looking forward to their AM session next year !!

you are right... Ginger.... may resign and be tiger mom when they start p1. cos not too keen for them to be in student care. we always think once the preschool years are over... financial load will be lighter as cc fees are just exorbitant, compared to pri sch fees.

today is ballot day at kh? good luck to the mummies!

Mesh - Salute you, it takes a big step to consider giving up a full time job to become a SAHM.

Ballot tomorrow la but I think here no one else is going for 2B balloting. The only one, Jamie has given up her chance.

hi check with you guys,, can 2 parents apply for the PV? If stay within 2km, is it still eligible to apply for PV? cos i think my add is withink 2km one..TIA.

I ever heard you are able to PV at 2 different schools at the same time.

But before you register, you may want to check the school's past ballot history. If you are within 2km, its usually not favorable compare to those within 1km if the school is of popular choices.

karen,
U refer to pv at KH?
Yes, 2 parents can do PV concurrently & clock together. I think they only accept those that lives within 1km. Do look at their website for more details. HTH.

Hi BBEthan, thanks for the info.

I've overstocked Avent bottles.
Anyone keen pls pm me.

1) 1pc Non BPA free-330ml @ $10
2) 4pcs Non BPA free-260ml @ $8 each
3) 4pcs BPA free,Honey Brown-260ml @ $13 each

Pls pm me if keen

hi all.. just to share,,
im not eligible for the PV as we are staying within 1-2km..called KH school,, the girl said no point to submit under 2C as well.. So sad to hear that.. but I tot if under 2c, is based on luck to ballot in one?

PV is only for 2b not 2c. What she meant I believe is that based on past year history for 2B exercise, no chance to even register for 2B parents who stays over 1km.

Also for 2c, recent years, only 1km are eligible.

Back