Piano Lesson

Hi. My girl is taking viola abrsm grade 5 this year.She has to make a selection of the pieces but can't locate any of the music on the internet. Any idea where she can have a 'preview' of the music before making her choice? Thereafter she will have to buy the score, another delay. I worry she will not be ready for Sept exams.

Mrs Chow, you can try music essentials or gramercy if u can't find the books from esplanade. However, not sure if they have a wide selection of viola books.

Does anyone know where I can purchase "A Dozen a Day minibook"? Understand it's a pink colour book. Is it a good book to use for beginners? I was told to buy it for my son who has just completed his Music for Little Mozart at Cristofori.

How much is the book?

Thanks.

Most music shops sell a dozen a day series. In Yamaha it cost 8.15. Cheaper at gramercy (about 6+ i think) Christofori sells them too.

hi,
can anyone enlighten me on the difference between ABRSM and LCM exam? which is better? what are the pros and cons? I am not musically trained. would like to find out more to make a more informed decision for my child.

Hi Thots, LCM is not a popular choice for graded exams (a slightly different story when it comes to the diploma certs and degrees). ABRSM however is the universally recognised "branded exam board". Standard is arguably high.

Don't think there are really any pros and cons as such. I think the factor that one would consider is the exam dates - ABRSM runs two exam periods in S'pore, Feb/March and July/Aug/Sept. Actually I'm not aware that there are LCM exams running here. The other examining board running exams here is Trinity.

Singapore recognise 4 exam boards - ABRSM, Trinity, Guildhall and LCM. Trinity and Guildhall has merged.

LCM is available in one of the school in the North area.

Most singaporeans take ABRSM as it is more popular. As for standards, ABRSM and TrinityGuildhall is about the same. Some mention that LCM is easier. LCM is the least recognised among these few boards.

When music sch hires teachers, some sch pays more for teachers who has ABRSM diploma cert.

Hope this helps.

Jolene, never too late! Adults can pick up piano too, even old folks. My friend's mother (she's in her 70s) is learning piano
happy.gif
and no, she didn't learn when she was younger so she's a beginner.

hi jcefoo and pianojazzy,

thanks for the info sounds like ABRSM is the more popular one.

My child is attending lessons at Novena Sq2. They are offering both LCM and ABRSM. The school advised me to take LCM pre-preparatory 1st then move on to either LCM or ABRSM Gr 1. Reason being ABRSM does not have pre-preparatory. I wonder if this is necessary or it is another way of earning more bucks from me????.... The admin mentioned ABRSM was first in S'pore so it would seemed more established. LCM exam pieces are more lively for young learners and most kids can relate to most of the pieces unlike ABRSM, all pieces are classical... is it true? Frankly if the child can relate to the music, i guess it is easier for them to play or is it not?

I also read some comments/review online that LCM has improved over the years. Also, few had commended LCM on their choice pieces for exam. Is this really important?

Is it possible to switch from LCM to ABRSM if the child is already in a certain grade say Grade 3 or 4? Otherwise the safer option is still ABRSM...

Jcefoo, it reminds me that i used to have 2 students, 1 in her 60s and one in her 70s ;p

Jolene, 5 yr old is a good age and 8 yr old will be able to pick up faster.

Thots, ABRSM has pre-preparatory as well. It is call Prep Test. No marks will be given but the examiner will give comments and remarks.

The 3 list in the exam syllabus are of different periods which is to make sure that the candidate is able to play pieces of different genres. The last list - C is modern period. They introduce jazz pieces in this C.

It is possible to switch accross exam boards.

Yes, as pianojazzy pointed out, ABRSM DOES have a pre-prep stage, was introduced a few years back. The ABRSM syllabus does cater to quite a wide range, the classics are of course necessary but there are plenty of jazzy tunes as well as "ethnic" pieces (ie chinese tunes, jap tunes etc).

I generally don't send students in for prep-test, I find that it's a waste of money. I get "external examiners" (from my circle of musician friends) for fun at times.

By setting an example. You have to love music. Expose them to music that's all around. Show them how to appreciate music. Sometimes I would mute the music and show them just the pictures in a show/movie/cartoon, my daughter then realises that the music plays a part in contributing to the whole show.

Hi
I hv plans to sendy 8 yrs old gal n 5 yrs old boy
for piano lesson but worry they will not substain
their interest . Any advice?

I stay at CCK. Preferred to have the teacher to come to our home, but don't mind travelling short distance to teacher's home too.

hi, need some advice here.

my son started learning piano last aug in a grp setting for 1/2 yr and proceeded to 1 to 1 till now. today e teacher asked if we wan to let him take his grade 1 exam next sep. usually how soon does a child start to take their exams? btw, he's turning 5 this yr.

i've no knowledge about all this, hope to hear from experience.

thanks

Hi Milkmilk

Next yr your son will be 6, in terms of age, should be able to cope with the exam (in terms of being able to communicate and understand the examiner). If the teacher deems him ready for grade 1 I guess you should trust him/her since you are trusting him/her with your son. How long one takes to progress is really down to the individual, there's no time frame so to speak.

Hi

I am looking for a piano teacher around the bukit timah/hillview area. 6 yr old boy. Mummies, if you have a good teacher, can you recommend me. Preferably can come to my place. Thanks so much.

hi....anyone got kids learning from Sylvia Ng? She got unique group piano teaching methods...would like to find out if the group teaching by her is really good as her students all got good grades... pls share..tks!

Hi,

Anyone can advise on where I can go to for good piano classes for 4yo ? Went to a few music school websites, and noted that they are only taking in from at least 5/6 yo onwards.

Hi Mimi,

Generally is about 1 yr per grade. For students who start younger ie 4yo, it may take up to 2 yrs, depending on individual, parental support, their routine practise at home and regular lessons.

For chinese orchestra, they do not read notes like what we do in classical music. Chinese music is in numbers (for notes), dashes (for rhythm) and dots (for different octaves). However, for my students who are learning classical and in chinese orchestra, they do not have a problem.

looking for a piano teacher in sengkang area. my boy is 6 this year and he wants to start to learn. any recommendations?

I am also looking for a piano teacher in cck area. He is in P1 this year. Any recommendations of a good and patient teacher.
happy.gif

kao_babydust2.gif

For sale :

Used ABRSM Grade 1 and Grade 2 PIANO

a) Specimen Sight-reading tests (from 2009)
b) Scales & Broken Chords (from 2009)

These are the latest edition. All are well kept. Selling at S$4.50 each. Total S$17 if you buy all the 4 books.

Self-collection in Sengkang.

I also have Grade 1 to Grade 4 Piano Theory past years papers for sale. PM me if your are interested.

kao_welcome.gif

For sale :

Used ABRSM Grade 1 and Grade 2 PIANO

a) Specimen Sight-reading tests (from 2009)
b) Scales & Broken Chords (from 2009)

These are the latest edition. All are well kept. Selling at S$4.50 each. Total S$17 if you buy all the 4 books.

Self-collection in Sengkang.

I also have Grade 1 to Grade 4 Piano Theory past years papers for sale. PM me if your are interested.

Pls do not engage Joanne Chiew as a private music tcher. She is unscrupulous and capitalise on parent's music ignorance and registers children in unaccredited and unrecognised music exam brd. She is currently a musc tcher in Sonare music sch in sengkang. It's a scam. Beware.

Hi Pianojazzy,

I am thinking of signing my kid up for Cristofori's group class. He is turning 3.5yrs soon and this course offered by Cristofori accepts students as young as 3.5yrs.

Do you think it is advisable to drag a little longer (maybe when he's 4) before I sign him up?

I think he's a little too young. But a management staff from Cristofori explained that this course is especially tailored for 3.5yrs to 5yrs and the course lasts 1.5yrs. If my kid starts later, he probably wont finish the course (cos by 5yrs old, this lady said cristofori would channel the children to individual classes).

Hi Samantha,

If you are keen to let him start music appreciation classes, there are other schools like Yamaha - music wonderland, mandeville or kindermusic that take in young children. However, these are only music appreciation classes which means they do not focus on keyboard/note reading. By 4yo, kids are able to do 1-1.

Hi Pianojazzy,

My ger is turning 4 and I'm keen to sign her up for formal piano class.

However, many music schools only start taking kids in at 5 yo. I'm not interested in music appreciation class.

Have enquired at Vince Music studio who does take in kids for 1-1.

Do you know of any other music school?

Hi Pianojazzy,
I've been viewing this thread, purpose is hoping to understand and learn more abt music education for my kids.

And i find that u are very enthusiastic and can inspire kids into music. I'd like to know wheather do u still take new student, my two girls is 8 and 6 this year.

<font color="aa00aa">I'm now looking for new/ 2nd hand Yamaha U1 piano. I have been to Yamaha centre to ask about new U1 and now can someone advise me where is the good place to purchase 2nd hand U1 piano?
What to look for when purchasing 2nd hand piano?</font>

I am a female full time piano teacher with 10 years teaching experienced.I got ABRSM Diploma in performance and teaching.I able to teach from beginner to grade 8.lesson is included theory teaching.the lesson can be conducted in your place or my studio.My travel place is in North area. any further enquiry,please contact Ms. Chua@90252089.

Hi,
any experienced teacher in clementi to teach my 5 years old girl?
Need to go over to teacher's house as no piano at home. Thanks. Pls. PM me.

Back