Piano Lesson

Hi pianojazzy,

Thanks for the prompt response.

According to the Yamaha branch that I asked, it is because MCFC is a local version and not really the Yamaha main stream JMC lesson. Yes, he will be access soon, by end of the month and the place that he is learning now do not continue with the next level, so we have no choice but to find alternatives for him to continue. Learning wise, seems like he is enjoying it so far and quite ok.

Thinking of letting him start 1-1 too. Is there any difference between 1-1 in music school and at home? Do you have any recommendation for teachers staying near cck or yew tee area? Would prefer to travel to the teacher's place as I think he will be easily distracted is he is at home.

PMed you.
happy.gif

Hi all,

I'm new to this website and i happen to come across this thread. I needed advise.
My gal is currently 3yrs old and she'll be learning piano soon, should i get a piano for her or let her practise on the electronic keyboard?

hi orange,I am a full time piano teacher,n your question is quite a popular question for parents.

1stly,learning piano is a long term investment.from beginner to gd 8 it might be need at least 5 years time.since the 1st lesson u pay,u oledi start to invest,if u really wan her to finish at least grade 8 level,no matter how tough,u must still keep encouraging her.Never give up must lead u success.

If U just think that if my gal no interest,then I will stop her.so,I think U should know the answer.Actually depends on wat is your thinking?

Hi yernying

Thanks for the advise. I was told that its advisable to let them play on keyboard now instead of piano key because of thier finger. (piano key is harder than keyboard) is it true?

She'll be attending group piano. Actually i tot of letting her to go for individual lesson but afraid it will be boring for her. How to know whether she's ready for individual lesson?

The touch of the keyboard is lighter then piano. However there are also pianos with light touch like yamaha - beginner pianos. However they are not advisable as the touch is too light and it will affect their technique in the long run. If still not sure to get a piano or not, make do with a keyboard till you are more ready then invest in a better piano so that you wont have to change it in a few yrs time - waste money.

to orange,

of cos piano key is harder than keyboard but it is still not influence kids to play on a keyboard,unless the piano keys are extremely hard to press.

U may let her to try the individual class,n c her respond.normally 4 years old onwards is no problem to start the individual class.but every kid different character.U hav to judge ur kid by urself.

Hi pianojazzy and yernying

Thanks for the advise. Now i am more clearer in mind
happy.gif

yernying

How to know whether my gal is suitable for individual? I really dont know. She's a very introvert and shy gal. During the lesson(enrichment, music and childcare) she's quiet most of the time but she follow teacher instruction and understand what the teacher is teaching.

And i dont know for her character like this, is she suitable for individual or not

Hi pianojazzy and yernying,
I want to teach my son piano, but don't know how to start even though I have Grade 8 myself. I read that there are a lot of methods for young children. Are there any good beginner teaching books that you can recommend me to use? He's almost 5. I thought I would teach him first, then if he shows interest, I will send him for 1-1 lessons after 1 year.

Hi BabyD,

I would suggest Piano lessons made easy by Lina Ng and Step by Step The Fun Way by Geraldine Law. These 2 books are written by m'sians and it suits the locals - asian countries.

You might remember in our times we use john thompson part 1 etc. This is similiar to it but more localise.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

ps: as for theory books try theory made easy by Lina Ng.

to orange,

I also had a very shy student since a few years ago.Like wat u described,she listen all instruction but she seldom talk.

After few years we get along,now I found that she talks more during the lesson.sometimes,when I teach her,I will use some humour way to explain to her n she is very happy of it.Actually these kind of students absolutely no problem to start the individual class .So,don worry.In additional,these kind of students self-discipline very good.

to babyd,

Theory book u may choose Ying Ying Ng one,quite colourfull and exciting.this is last time we never use one.

Song book I will choose the Lina Ng one,piano lesson made easy level 1

but own child is hard to teach,next time I also send my child to other people to teach

Hi yernying

Really glad to hear that. In fact i was worried about my gal behaviour.

I know that you are a piano teacher and u teaches in Bishan Area?

Hi yernying

Glad to hear that. In fact i was quite worried about my gal whenever i see her behaviour in class.

I know that you are a teacher and do you teach in Bishan?

hi all. Where can I rent a studio with grand piano for practice? Yamaha only rents uprights, not grand. Appreciate any information from this community. Thanks!

hi again.Anyone has piano score by Stravinsky (Tango) Schott Ed 4917 to sell? I can't find this anywhere in Singapore, sigh..

Hi Mrs Chow,

You can book grand piano studio from My Inspiration, Robert Piano or Yicha Music School.

You can try to find the Strainsky book from Music Essentials at Orchard Meridian. If they dun have it, they can order it for you. If not you can try Gramercy at Tangjong Katong.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the piano tip. Music Essentials doesn't carry nor do they take orders. Will check with Gramercy. Many thanks!

Can anyone advise? I'm not sure how long my kid will learn piano i.e. half way when school work become heavy, we may give it up. So what sort of piano should I buy if I don't intend to spend too much.

HI pianojazzy,

me stay near to kallang mrt, is there any teacher you know can recommend to me? my girl is 3.5yr so wanna let her try it out... your pl @ bedok is not convenient for us as we dont drive gotta take public transport... w my 6th month boy leh...

Hi all,

I am looking for piano teacher. Any good recommendation?

TIA

Mermmy, you can get a 2ndhand piano to try out, eventually if really want to stop, can still sell without loosing too much.

Reiner, Orange, I stay at Toa Payoh, is that any convenient for you?

Mrs Chow, yes, I found the Stravinsky. You can PM me and arrange to collect. Or if you prefer, by post. Will have to find a proper envelope to hold the score cos it's thin and will bend easily.

Hi pianojazzy and parents,

Do you know any piano teacher teaching at ang mo kio/ yio chu kang area ?Can go to her home too.

thanks

Leereiner, buses 26 and 31 go pass Toa Payoh Safra/Stadium if I'm not mistaken. From there, my place is about a 15 min walk (cutting through some of the blocks).

Hi,

Anyone know where can I get grade 5 ABRSM exam pieces WITHOUT CD? I have checked with Yamaha - all branches out of stock. And most music stores carry only "with CD' version.

Thanks for your input in this.

hi miffy,as I know all the exam pieces without CD have to wait a few months.unless those music school still have the old stock.U may try Woodlands Symphony music school.

Hi All,

I just looked piano teacher for my daughter, she is 8 years old and already learnt more than 1 year.

We live near SengKang MRT.

Best Regards
Khu

Hi Khu,

i am teaching piano full-time in SengKang area.

If you are keen, do feel free to SMS me at 8368-6881 for further information.

Hi, if anyone is looking for a piano teacher in the north-west/west/bukit timah areas. I'm a full-time piano teacher, giving private lessons as well as teaching in cristofori music school. Do give me a call at 97398594 for more enquiries.
happy.gif

Hi
Anyone currently studying under Sylvia Ng? Would like to find out more about her style of teaching. Brought my girl to see her and found her studio a little 'messy' But I dun really mind if the 'software' is good. She seems like a really nice lady but her english is foreign and limited? Her website testimonals are very solid though. Can anyone advice?

Sylvia has a good track record. Her students have the quality cos she makes them work. Generally I'd say she does a better job with the high grades. My personal opinion.

Hi j foo, thanks for replying. Hmmm so she is better with higher grade, I assumed older kids? My kiddo is 5 and v shy, but seems to be ok with her. Looking for teachers can b a headache. Hiaz

Higher grade not necessarily older kids... I have a student under me, she's only 11 but preparing gr 7. My friend has a student who's only 10, taking gr 8.

yes, it's not easy finding a teacher. Not only good but need to have the "chemistry" with the student.

Back