Piano Lesson

You should put your child in for private lessons. Whether a child likes 1-1 will really boil down to the teacher at this age, so it's the rapport btw the child and teacher. At 5, the child's attention span shouldn't be an issue anymore.

If it's $180 by a well qualified teacher then it's reasonable. Have to check carefully. There are those who charge an even higher rate and they are well qualified to do so, BUT there are also those who play along with the market even when they are NOT well qualified to charge at that price, or some not even well qualified to teach!

Yamaha U1 would be a better investment than U1JPE. The latter model, nowadays, are manufactured and assembled in Indo. Sound (and some argue, quality) wise not as good as the U1.

Totally agree with j foo. How long is per lesson for 180?

Try to get U1 if your budget allows as is it fully assemble in Japan. It is enough to last till gr 8.

Thank you pianojazzy and jfoo for your advice, I just bought yamaha U1, now my girl and I are counting down excitedly to the day of its delivery. Btw, besides Yamaha, where can I get music books for kids?

Most music schools sell books. For books which is less common, try gramercy at tanjong katong or music essentials at orchard meridian.

Adults learn at a faster pace. What kind of songs you are looking at? If simple songs like nursery rhymes to jingle bells, most of them can do it during the first lesson. I have a student who can play canon in D after 2 months and he is also practising his lesson books as well.

Of cos it depends on individual. My student practises very very hard. Another 4-5 students manage to finish 1st lesson book in 2-3 months which is about gr 2 standard. But there are some who cant even finish the first book after 1 yr.

Thanks Pianojazzy. I m still considering whether I should take exams.

Of coz... I would love to be able to read music scores easily and play those greatest hits.

It takes time to be able to really read scores well, it's life-time learning.
happy.gif
The main thing is - enjoy. Having fun with music and enjoying and appreciating it's sheer beauty, that's the important thing.

Hi Pianojazzy,

Would you consider travelling to kembangan for lessons? How much do you charge for and how long is your piano lesson? my boy has completed his 2-year MCYC conducted by yamaha through the CC this June and has started electone for 6months...am thinking to switch him to piano. He will be going P2 next year...is it too late to start learning piano now?

Appreciate your advice.

Hi,

Sorry i do not do home visits. It is never too late but of course it is definately better to start early. Do switch asap and start asap
happy.gif

Cheers

Hi, does anyone know whether yamaha electone course conducted in community centres is the same as that in yamaha branches?

8 Commitments made were broken by Music Teacher
which I found on forum early December.
It was the greatest mistake I had ever made to engage "TENG DAI WAN" to be my girl's music teacher without any referral mentioned on the forum. I had learnt my lesson.....
Mothers, dont repeat my mistake, see the two attachments

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif

Music Teacher found on forum.docx (14.7 k)</td></tr></table></center><center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msword.gif

Emails correspondence.doc (36.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Subject: Commitments made were broken by Music Teacher I found on forum

Posted by Miss Teng (Pianist_teng) on Tuesday, November 04, 2008- 1.45am:
HI, I'm a well qualified piano teacher, u may contact me for lessons. some of my info- Was a judge to the Zhong Sing International Piano Competition and Taiwan Bachstein Piano Competition. Hold a Masters in Piano Study from the Royal College, London and been teaching for 10 years already. Have vast teaching and performing experiences which includes piano departments in colleges/Pedagogy workshops, and recitals at many concert halls as well. Dedicated and patient, with teaching that emphasizes 0n 0ne's communication with his/her piano and the aesthetics of Sound. Teaching Diplomas and beyond with lessons conducted 0n Grand Pianos. For all other grades, children =) or house visits, pls contact for info. Call 81435869/[email protected]. Encore performance http://soundclick.com/share?songid=1459598

I was impressed by the above. We had confirmed and agreed via sms: $140 for 4 lessons (45 minutes) on every Saturday 10am to 1045am. Payment to be made on every 1st week of the 4 lessons.

13 Dec 08 (1st lesson) : She sms me at 9am to change time to 11am, but I told her I cant &amp; ask if she wants to postpone our 1st lesson to next week. To my surprise, she managed to turn up on time at 10am.

20 Dec 08 (2nd lesson): She didn’t turn up because she thought that I was still on holiday; this was to due mis-communication between us.

27 Dec 08 (2nd Lesson): She sms on 26 Dec 08 informing that she was sick and won’t be coming.

28 Dec 08: She sms &amp; offered to have make up lesson on 29th Dec 08 at 4pm.

29 Dec 08 (2nd Lesson): She sms me at 3pm to cancel the lesson because she was still sick.

On 29 Dec 08, she sms me asking if she can change our agreed timing (every Sat 10am) to (i) Weekdays/weekends evening &amp; (ii) Late Sat morning but I said No. Finally she requested to change to (iii) 10.15am Sat. I asked her if 15mintues is a great difference; she said because she need to travel to my place.

3 Jan 09 (2nd Lesson): She again sms me on 2 Jan 08 (345pm) saying that she can’t turn up for the lesson because she was still sick.
Immediately I tried calling her hp, wanted to hear her sick voice to verify. However, she didn’t pick up the phone. At that moment, I know I had engaged an irresponsible music teacher for my girl. I was very angry and emailed her to request for refund of $105 for the remaining 3 lessons. If not, I will post on forum.

Story continues on the refund of SGD105:

On 3 Jan 09, she emailed to commit that she will do the bank transfer either on 4 Jan 09 or latest 5 Jan 09.

On 5 Jan 09 (17:13), she sms saying will transfer either on 6 Jan 09 by 2200 or 7 Jan 09 by noon.
On 7 Jan 09 (11.20), she sms saying will transfer by 7 Jan 09 (2359)
On 8 Jan 09 (10.52), she sms saying she was busy and will transfer by 8 Jan 09 (2359)
On 9 Jan 09 (00.12), she sms asking me if she can refund after Chinese New Year.

(All sms were kept in my saved folders)

I do not wish to drag this untill Chinese New Year; it has been a nightmare for me. I cannot believe her explanation that she used up all her cash on a surgery for her loved one on 8 Jan 09 and left with no money to refund me. Why in the first place kept sending sms to me on the payment dates? I was furious with her. Unpleasant sms and emails started flowing between us on 10 Jan 09.

On her last email, she mentioned that she will sue me if I do anything beyond “that”, I guess she was referring to posting the truth about her on forum.

Mothers, the main focus is not about money, it had been the most torturing session I ever had, liaising with her via sms.

Subject: Commitments made were broken by Music Teacher I found on forum

Posted by Miss Teng (Pianist_teng) on Tuesday, November 04, 2008- 1.45am:
HI, I'm a well qualified piano teacher, u may contact me for lessons. some of my info- Was a judge to the Zhong Sing International Piano Competition and Taiwan Bachstein Piano Competition. Hold a Masters in Piano Study from the Royal College, London and been teaching for 10 years already. Have vast teaching and performing experiences which includes piano departments in colleges/Pedagogy workshops, and recitals at many concert halls as well. Dedicated and patient, with teaching that emphasizes 0n 0ne's communication with his/her piano and the aesthetics of Sound. Teaching Diplomas and beyond with lessons conducted 0n Grand Pianos. For all other grades, children =) or house visits, pls contact for info. Call 81435869/[email protected]. Encore performance http://soundclick.com/share?songid=1459598

I was impressed by the above. We had confirmed and agreed via sms: $140 for 4 lessons (45 minutes) on every Saturday 10am to 1045am. Payment to be made on every 1st week of the 4 lessons.

13 Dec 08 (1st lesson) : She sms me at 9am to change time to 11am, but I told her I cant &amp; ask if she wants to postpone our 1st lesson to next week. To my surprise, she managed to turn up on time at 10am.

20 Dec 08 (2nd lesson): She didn’t turn up because she thought that I was still on holiday; this was to due mis-communication between us.

27 Dec 08 (2nd Lesson): She sms on 26 Dec 08 informing that she was sick and won’t be coming.

28 Dec 08: She sms &amp; offered to have make up lesson on 29th Dec 08 at 4pm.

29 Dec 08 (2nd Lesson): She sms me at 3pm to cancel the lesson because she was still sick.

On 29 Dec 08, she sms me asking if she can change our agreed timing (every Sat 10am) to (i) Weekdays/weekends evening &amp; (ii) Late Sat morning but I said No. Finally she requested to change to (iii) 10.15am Sat. I asked her if 15mintues is a great difference; she said because she need to travel to my place.

3 Jan 09 (2nd Lesson): She again sms me on 2 Jan 08 (345pm) saying that she can’t turn up for the lesson because she was still sick.
Immediately I tried calling her hp, wanted to hear her sick voice to verify. However, she didn’t pick up the phone. At that moment, I know I had engaged an irresponsible music teacher for my girl. I was very angry and emailed her to request for refund of $105 for the remaining 3 lessons. If not, I will post on forum.

Story continues on the refund of SGD105:

On 3 Jan 09, she emailed to commit that she will do the bank transfer either on 4 Jan 09 or latest 5 Jan 09.

On 5 Jan 09 (17:13), she sms saying will transfer either on 6 Jan 09 by 2200 or 7 Jan 09 by noon.
On 7 Jan 09 (11.20), she sms saying will transfer by 7 Jan 09 (2359)
On 8 Jan 09 (10.52), she sms saying she was busy and will transfer by 8 Jan 09 (2359)
On 9 Jan 09 (00.12), she sms asking me if she can refund after Chinese New Year.

(All sms were kept in my saved folders)

I do not wish to drag this untill Chinese New Year; it has been a nightmare for me. I cannot believe her explanation that she used up all her cash on a surgery for her loved one on 8 Jan 09 and left with no money to refund me. Why in the first place kept sending sms to me on the payment dates? I was furious with her. Unpleasant sms and emails started flowing between us on 10 Jan 09.

On her last email, she mentioned that she will sue me if I do anything beyond “that”, I guess she was referring to posting the truth about her on forum.

Mothers, the main focus is not about money, it had been the most torturing session I ever had, liaising with her via sms.

Louise, I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience, and I hope it would be the last. May you find a new and dedicated teacher soon.

Hi Louise

Thanks for sharing.I hope this whole thing will come to an end soon.So sorry to hear about this.

Honestly, looking for a good and reliable music teacher is never an easy task.Not only that, in changing teacher, kid also takes some adjustment too.

Through this forum, I have chat and know
pianojazzy and I found her teach her students with passion and she is great.She is not my girl piano tuition but when I seek her from her one day before my gal piano theory exam, she kindly answered my call and teach my gal the skill to do one specific theory question.She is great.

My girl got a distinction for her grade three theory.If pianojazzy has not contributed that skill, probably she might be just getting a mert.

That is my thought.I am not related to pianojazzy or paid to advertise for her...find out yourself if you are keen...

so sorry, some missing words above.I mean I found pianojazzy ia a teacher that teach her students with passion and when I seek help from her regarding a certain type of theory question which my gal was not properly taught by her ex music teacher,she is able to impart the right technique to her.

Am so glad and still thankful to her.

Louise: I had contacted this teacher to request for a trial lesson. Same as yr situation, she kept postponing the lesson. Furthermore, my girl is flexible with any timing since she was at hm most of the day during the holidays. Excuses such as being sick, her sis had a car accident, numerous meetings with ???. It's a blessing in disguise that she didn't even manage to come for a trial when I tried to fix a timing in vain for 3 wks.

She is really irresponsible &amp; not committed at all.

Dear Louise and Rae, I am so sorry to hear about this.

Thanks Joy, i am glad when i know that ur girl scored distinction for her theory exam
happy.gif

J foo, Joy, Rae &amp; Pianojazzy, thanks a lot for your responses; I really need your comforting words. Sorry that I uploaded twice by mistake (maybe too angry already).

My husband has bad impression of her on her 1st lesson and I still told him off not to judge a book by its cover. Now, such thing happened; sigh... he questioned why am I paying in advance with nobody's recommendation.

I trust forum, buying and selling stuff to mothers and I never expect such thing to happen.

Good music teachers like pianojazzy and others normally do not travel to teach.

Rae, you are smart to request for trial lesson. I told her on the email that "I am not your friend, all I need is to have a responsible music teacher whether are those her real reasons/ make-up excuses I really dont care and cant accomodate.

Well, I learnt a great lesson; recommendation is very important.

Anyway I just signed up music lesson for my girl at Lee Wei Siong Music School. About $98 for 4 lessons each 30 mins. My girl attended 1st lesson and me and my husband likes the music teacher, who is highly recommended by my friend.

Hi Louise,

Just try yr best to get yr $ back. She blabbered so much abt her qualifications &amp; experience. Yet, her integrity is questionable.

Louise, where is this Lee Wei Siong Music Sch? I am keen to change music sch as my girl's current school is charging at $160 for 4 lessons, 30 mins each. The fees has increased again. Sigh*

Louise
I sympathise with your encounter. I saw the advertisement but didn't respond to her ad. I was also looking for piano teacher then. I called / emailed several from the web and realised most of them are from China on student pass or claimed they had G8.

Ultimately I called up an agency to specify my requirements -- must have teaching diploma and yrs of teaching.

Pianojazzy
Completed 3 lessons. I didn't ask to see her qualification. But compare to previous teacher (ie from same agency), my girl prefers the previous one because she is more lenient, current one no nonsense type. Both teachers are not the type that motivates child; for me, I recently on the Richard Clayderman CD to 'motivate' her.

I think the current teacher is strong in theory. She taught a lot, don't think my girl can absorb all the pointers. She goes pretty forward into scales.

I like your recital, it is a form of encouragement &amp; motivation. Not many teachers do likewise.

pianojazzy
I didn't attend your students' recital. But this is the first time I have heard of such thing which I think it is very good gesture of you and indeed very rare industry practice.

Actually it is getting more popular now and most music school they do it for selected students.

I will be having another one in jun
happy.gif

Rae, sigh... is hard to get back the refund if she has no intention to return; now said after chinese new year, later will say after Hari Raya; I cant take such sms anymore. Horrible woman!

Lee Wei Siong School of Music located at 110 Killiney Road (Tel: 68830320)
Need to call to fix appt. for review before the actual lesson starts.

Yup, nowadays music schools do annual recitals. Certain private teachers do it. Some in the privacy of their own homes (small number of students), some rent a hall (if they have a lot of students). A few close friends of mine who are teachers all have half year or annual recitals. I get mine to do mini recitals (so just amongst their peers) as well as annual recitals (whereby parents are invited. I'm only teaching "part-time" as I have my kids to attend to as well so the recital is not a big-do, just something for the students to work towards and for the parents to enjoy.

Thank you all for sharing,
"Miss Teng (Pianist_teng)" also emailed me,
tempting to use her, but hubby says she stays too far from us...

TLL,
U looking for a teacher to go to your place or at the teacher's place? Which grade or age? I may have someone to recommend u. But the teacher is only available on sundays.

<font color="aa00aa">i have a friend who is a pianist herself.

she lives in the west. if you are keen, pm me.</font>

Hi b2b3m4 &amp; krazy,
thanks a lot,
we live at Sengkang, frequent Tampines,
can only go to Teacher's place cause we do not have a piano.
happy.gif

Leng Leng, you will need a keyboard once your child starts lesson as you are required to practise after the very first lesson (most teachers require that)

At least try to get a keyboard from carrefour or giant ($20-40) to practise first for a start if u do not wish to commit into buying a piano first.

pianojazzy,
thanks, still considering,
need to ask hubby's permission,
cause I'll be SAHM from next month onwards...

<font color="aa00aa">leng leng:
i have one i want to let go.

my girl was using it before i bought her the piano. willing to sell at $28. i live in the east too..
happy.gif
you think abt it first. </font>

I may organize one in June at YMS. I'm stressed too. Most of my students are adults and they refuse to participate which I understand. Therefore only left with a few kids and I still need to persuade some of them.
sad.gif

Caitlin, Jun is very hot. Need to book fast if u want weekend. Get the students to play 2 pieces and ensemble if u r worried that the time is too much lor

okies.. has booked tentatively.
Most lkely would get them to play one exam pc n another optional pc.
Is yours cfm on 24 May?

kssg
i read from earlier that you started your kid on violin and piano when he was 3.
where did you send your kid to?

you do not accept PM.

hi,
do kids needs to know how to write before they can start to take piano lesson? Just enquire at one school and they say that its a requirements. Even though my girl has been taking music lessons and can play the keyboard (simple songs), but because she has yet to learn to write, they said she can't take lesson yet.

Hi Mermmy,
She don't need to know how to write yet, there are other ways to reinforce note reading and counting even if she still can't write. She can also do it verbally first.

Back