PCOS....

withluck

hi. My last menses was in Jan and went to see Dr. Cordelia Han ( Raffles hospital) 2 days ago. And i I've been diagnosed of PCOS( enlarged PCOS).

I am 27 yrs old ( 165cm, 63KG) and planning to conceive. I am losing my train of mind...What can i do???
Dr Han didn't give me any medicine and just asked me to do exercise 3 times per week. And my next appointment will be in 3 weeks.
Ai.. Anyone has any command on Dr. Han? Is she good? Coz we would like to have our 1st baby asap.
Please help me and encourage me ...!!!I need to be brave.

hi joey,

i was oso diagnosed with pcos b4 i got married.then i cm to knw of this condition, but for pcos gals, some will hv ovulation, normal menses, others will hv irregular menses, no ovulation.
for me, my menses r irregular n do not ovulate on its own. i went to kkh private suite to seek treatment aft i got married.the gynae gave me clomid, metformin n provera med to try.
clomid helps to hv ovulation but cant be taken for more than 6 cycles, metformin (actually this med is for diabetics patients) but recent report shows that dis med is a great help for pcos gals.some gals took metformin n got pregnant. provera is to induce menses for those wif irregular menses.
for me, i took med for ard 3yrs but still can't conceive, i guess my body doesn't react to those med. i did so-iui to conceive n was preggie with twins.
so dun get dispair,okie? there r some pcos gals who got pregnant w/o any medical help n there r those who took clomid n viola got preggie.

as for dr. han, i've got no comment cos did not hear abt her before.

Thank you so much okeanosmao. I think i need to be strong minded, and be brave. Congra that you got twins..I will try my best to relax and follow what the Dr. said to me.

It seems no one heard about dr. cordelia han from Raffles hospital. I am thinking if i should visit another Dr....ocz my next appointment is in about 2-3 weeks.

Thank you againokeanosmao

Hi Joey, don't worry! You are not alone. Many women here have PCOS and have conceived and given birth to healthy babies. I was diagnosed with PCOS too and I'm now 4 months preggy...with a little help
happy.gif

The best way to treat PCOS I was told by my gynae is to lose weight. I started exercising (walking/jogging for 30 mins twice a week). My gynae also recommended me to take Metformin and it helped me to lose weight too and my periods became more regular, but I still wasn't ovulating on my own.

So my gynae gave me clomid pills to stimulate ovulation, and I got preggy after the 2nd round of taking the clomid pills.

I have not heard of your gynae before but I would suggest that you ask her if she's treated anyone with PCOS before. If not you can try mine, I'm seeing Dr Suresh Nair at Mount Elizabeth. He was recommended to me by my GP as he specializes in infertility problems such as PCOS.

My advice to you is be patient and don't give up! Wish you best of luck!

Hi, I am diagnose with PCOS oso ..... I am plus size cos I have thyroid and I put on lotsa weight after eating the medicine ..... and my mensus become irregular
sad.gif

I just finish one cycle of clomid hope that this time can strike ... and I started to eat more meals less food each time now see can lose some wieght at the same time...... dun worry JIA YOU!

and I never heard of your gynae before oso cant comment
happy.gif
keep us updated ok

Thank you , angel and qingqing.

I know i am not alone nowwwwwwwwwwwww....
I have to relax and be patient.

angel, congras and take goog care of yourself.
qingqing, let's JIA YOU...

Thank you , angel and qingqing.

I know i am not alone nowwwwwwwwwwwww....
I have to relax and be patient.

angel, congras and take goog care of yourself.
qingqing, let's JIA YOU...

qingqing, i only had the ultrasound done( diagnosed of PCOS,) but no blood test yet, coz i only had one/1st visit to my gynae last week. And my next appiontment is in 2 weeks.

The biggest problem is that my last menses came in Jan ( it has been over 3 months). But Dr. Han just asked me to do exercise(without any medicine).I asked her for some medicine and she said it was not the right time to take medi.
And She told me she would do more tests and scanning for me next visit. My husband's concern is that it may waste my time and money. Buti will see what will happen on my next visit to Raffles Hospital with Dr. Han.

I am quite stressful coz friends around me were easy to conceive. ...Relax---long deep breathing--relax...

joey, slowly bah ... .me oso kan cheong ..... so many of my frds preggie some have 2 liaoz .... kinda depress but I am sure we will have one soon ..... just dun give up .....

update us on your check up k
happy.gif

Hi Joey,

I am also 27 this year, been planning for a baby close to 2 years... am also diagnosed with PCOS. Recently i suspected my condition is getting worsen, i have brown discharge for almost 2 months and it really irritates me.. I have been on TCM for 6 months but still not able to conceive. I do not have any other typical sign of PCOS i.e excess hair growth or overweight but irregular menses. I am in a lost right now. Dun know who should i seek help with. It makes things worse when my hubby does not trust in TCM but only western medicine. My perception is to improve my body first before trying for a baby.......

Hi Stressful ( haha..you shouldn't use this name, relax..at least try to relax)..

honestly, i have no idea how to do yet..but my next appointment is in next week. So i will see what my gynae suggests me to do.

don't be upset and stressful. Maybe you can visit your gynae 1st to see why you got the brown discharge and to seek further help.

TCM will " tiao li" our body , but it will take longer time.sometimes, western medicine really works faster.

Sorry that i am not able to give you any advice, coz i had only one visit to my gynae.

I will update my 2nd visit next week.

"Jia You"..and try to share your feeling with your hubby.

Hi Joey,

I guess i need to be patient and relax myself. My hubby told me to consult KKH however i went there before and doc suggested me to take clomid first, i rejected as i am afraid that i will get miscarriage after that as my body is quite weak and is not ready for a baby yet. Meanwhile, i will first consult my family doc to solve my current problem. Anyway, do update me when you visit your gynae next week and wish both of us good luck!!

Hi Stressful,

Visited my gynae this morning and she didn't give me any medicine ( again??haha)..and she told me that i need to do more exercise,so that my body will be really ready for the clomid( threadmill 12km/hr for 15mins and 9km/hr for 20mins. 4times per week) ( i am 165cm and 60Kg now). And i will do blood test on DAY 1 and the HSG test( fallopian tube)on DAY 7 of next cycle.i think that means she will give me the clomid next time after the HSG test. Oh, and she told me if i really wanna use the western medicine , i should stop taking the oral TCM.

I think you can do more exercise even though you are not overweighted. I also called my gynae in hongkong, and she also said exercise would improve our condition and help us to conceive.

Good luck.And let's keep each other updated.

Hi Joey,

Sorry for my late respond and thanks for the update..looks like exercising is our only solution now. I have went for my HSG test few months back at KKH, it was OK...however you will experience cramps after that. Try to take a good rest at home after the test. I did not as i thought the pain is still bearable..i went back to work..
Yes, the doc will recommend clomid after the test is OK. as they want to confirm that your fallopian tube is not block that causing you having problems to conceive. If this is confirm, they will prescribe clomid if you agree.
Btw, you have a gyne in Hong Kong?

"Jia You" for both of us!!!
happy.gif

Hi stressful,

Thank you for your advice. So i think i will take a half-day leave after the HSG test. I keep exercising these days and now i can feel that my body and health are getting better and better.
I will keep you updated on my HSG test and the coming treatment..

haha..yes..i came from hongkong 4 years ago.

hi all,

i also have pcos. got a son and have been trying for more than 4 years for 2nd kid.

stressful & joey, how's your progress?

hi toy,

u took clomid for a long time? how long?

no. i've been on tcm. but, will consider iui-->ivf if i still don't strike this year end.

which dr r u seeing?

hi happy- my hubby not keen on tmc... i took clomid for close to a yr or more.. the dr did say it ok to take but i know there are risk so far this yr i taken 4 times already

i am seeing a dr from sgh..can tell me more about your tcm?

hi toy,

yr dr did tell you you can't continue to take clomid for too many cycles, right?

did yr hb go for sperm analysis?

i'm seeing a sinseh in jb. the med is basically to help regulate my hormones and cycle.

but, i'll be seeing my gynae coming tue as i've been having blood discharge..more than 3 weeks aredi.

i have both prob- male n female.. hubby has low sperm count we know that few years ago but managed to conceive but now during feb iui we found out that hubby sperm still a bit low..

i know i cant take clomid too many cycles but my gynae say can leh...

hi my gynae is dr tan hak koon from sgh... i really dunno i told him my concern but he says it ok maybe my dosage is only 1 pill for 5 days .. hmmm how your tcm?

hi my gynae is dr tan hak koon from sgh... i really dunno i told him my concern but he says it ok maybe my dosage is only 1 pill for 5 days .. hmmm how your tcm?

toy,

oh. only 1 pill.. maybe, u can get 2nd opinion?

taking abt tcm, sigh.. don't know why my JB med didn't help me as much as i thot it should. i might be trying the MP sinsei next month.

is yr hubby taking any supplements to help in the sperm count? if he is not keen on tcm, maybe should take supplement then. i read from another forum that the hb took blackmores men multi performance and it helped.

my hus only take vit e n already feels i am harrassing him a lot.. i will see a gynae again when my menses come.. see if can do so-iui..

i've not. i'm waiting for menses to come then take clomid...i've not taken it for almost 2 years already.

suppose will try up iui then ivf if still no good news by year end.

hi eternitystar,

if i remember correctly, ultra sound will be able to tell. think i've also done blood test before to confirm it...

hi eternitystar,

basically vaginal ultrasound and blood test is done to determine PCOS.

a hormone profile is done through the blood test to check for hormonal imbalances. FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) is usually normal or low with PCOS
LH (Lutenizing Hormone) will be elevated. The LH/FSH ratio is normally 1 to 1 but with PCOS women it is usually >3 to 1.

The ultrasound will be done to scan your ovaries for physical signs of PCOS. The ovaries in women with PCOS look like they contain a lot of cysts and hence the term PCOS.

Is it possible to be have PCOS, endometriosis and frequent (irregular) bleeding? is it possible for all 3 condition to co-exist? Anyone hasall 3? can advise??

happy i also worried about taking clomid for soooo long so i tell myself after this cycle i will request for so iui and then rest my body cos maybe ivf will be the final path ...

of cos praying for success in this iui 2 wks later....

hi anggie,

it's possible to have pcos n endometriosis at the same time. the irregular bleeding is most probably caused by pcos/endo...

hi all, I am diagnos with PCOS recently via ultrasound. Going for blood test tomorrow. TTC for 6 months but no result. I have no symtom of PCOS except recent vagina bleeding even though way pass my menses period. Gynea says might be due to endometrial polyp. As ultrasound also show that I have polyp. Crossing my finger now and pray really hard that I am actually ovulating though having PCOS? Is that possible? As I have been having regular menses.

hi toey,

many women with pco symptoms are able to conceive naturally as they still continue to ovaluate, just maybe not regularly every month.

however many pcos women also do not ovulate but still have regular menses so it is honestly very difficult to tell unless u chart yr temp or test for elevated LH levels.

my case is even worse than yrs, i don't even have regular menses. mine is the once a yr type one and i managed to get pregnant with my gynae's help. i'm currently 17 weeks pregnant already so there's still hope for you. don't dispair and good luck!

hi grumpus,
Thanks so much for your comforting words and sharing your personal experience with me. I am going for blood test tonight.

mind if I ask how and what did you do to conceive?

hi toey,

good luck on the blood test!! hope all turns out well.

for me i tried tcm for about 6 mths but found absolutely no improvements...maybe i am too impatient haha...but many women found tcm to work for them.

later i went to my gynae and after listening to my history he said i had classic pcos symptoms. without even waiting for blood test results he started me on metformin and clomid.
metformin is a diabetic drug but in recent yrs have been found useful in pcos treatment due to many pcos women are also insulin resistant which apparently interferes with yr menses cycle. u can google to read up more about this.
clomid is used when yr menses come to boost ovulation.

he started me on low doses first and slowly increased the dosage when i still not ovulating. i managed to get pregnant after 6 mths
happy.gif

feel free to PM me if you want to talk more yah?

Back